Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rough Edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
City of Angels
ok Mr. Zarniwoop,

I did the terminal commands and got the bluetooth working in Yosemite,
but when i do the command for the sound it says:

"Failed to unload com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)"

Any Ideas?

Thanks

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Okay. Here is what I had written for the script:

#!/bin/sh

# YOSEMITESCRIPT.sh
#
#
# Created by AppleReviewGuy on 6/4/14.
#
# THIS IS A FREE SOFTWARE, IF YOU PAID FOR THIS DEMAND A REFUND
#
#
# Thanks to: Rough Edge for info, 128keaton for help & writing the guide!
# Feel free to mod this script and improve upon it
#
# https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/
#

echo "Welcome! This script will create a Yosemite install drive, along with installing the Clover EFI to it. When you run this script, be sure to run it as su and make sure that only the drive that you plan on using and your current OS X partition are plugged in. If you are unsure of what drives were plugged in when you booted your Mac, turn off, unplug all except OS X drive, start it up, and then plug in the drive you want to use as your Yosemite installer. Please leave this folder in your downloads.

"

echo "Are you aware that this is beta software, and AppleReviewGuy is not responsible for any damage to hardware that it may cause?"

echo "Selecting yes will now start the install of Yosemite to /dev/disk2."

PS3='Selection: '
options=("Yes!" "No.")
select opt in "${options[@]}"
do
case $opt in
"Yes!")
echo Opening InstallESD.dmg
open /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
sleep 25
wait
echo InstallESD.dmg opened
echo Now copying BaseSystem.dmg to /dev/disk2s2
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
sudo dd if=/Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg of=/dev/disk2s2 bs=1m
sleep 180
wait
echo BaseSystem.dmg copied
echo Now copying extra files from InstallESD.dmg
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
echo Extra files copied
echo Deleting packages alias
rm -Rf /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
echo Packages alias deleted
echo Now copying packages to USB drive. This will take a long time!
mkdir /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
echo All packages copied.
echo Now copying Clover
cd ~/Downloads/YosemiteScript/
cp -r Files/EFI\ files/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
echo Clover copied.

;;
"No.")
break
;;
*) echo invalid option;;
esac
done

Oh. Bash. I thought you were doing applescript, lol! I don't care, :D

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I need a .EFI patch. Nice config, I still have stock CPUS and 7GB of RAM with GT210.

I actually don't regularly use a 1,1, but my dad has a 1,1 that he uses for architecture that I have been testing on.

They are amazing machines. With X5365's, it is faster than his old 27" i7 iMac.

----------

Oh. Bash. I thought you were doing applescript, lol! I don't care, :D

Ah, I can't do applescript for crap. I can read and understand it, but I can't put it together myself :)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
ok Mr. Zarniwoop,

I did the terminal commands and got the bluetooth working in Yosemite,
but when i do the command for the sound it says:

"Failed to unload com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload)"

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Yeah, just load it. Mine did that too. I'll write an applescript for it.

Yay! Built the 'dream' config plist. Uploading soon. Also, boots really fast now!

----------

I actually don't regularly use a 1,1, but my dad has a 1,1 that he uses for architecture that I have been testing on.

They are amazing machines. With X5365's, it is faster than his old 27" i7 iMac.

----------

Ah, I can't do applescript for crap. I can read and understand it, but I can't put it together myself :)

No problem. I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I just like GUIs. Also, yeah, this machines are amazing. Think of Jackie Chan, old but still kick-azz.

Rough Edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
City of Angels
Yeah, just load it. Mine did that too. I'll write an applescript for it.

Yay! Built the 'dream' config plist. Uploading soon. Also, boots really fast now!

----------

No problem. I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I just like GUIs. Also, yeah, this machines are amazing. Think of Jackie Chan, old but still kick-azz.

Share that config file, share it!! LOL.. yes Yosemite is looking pretty cool... I actually use it for simple browsing cause i love the clean look a lot... Im on it now! Cant wait till the DP2 comes out to mess around with the new features and waiting on the "Dark Mode" lol...

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 559

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Share that config file, share it!! LOL.. yes Yosemite is looking pretty cool... I actually use it for simple browsing cause i love the clean look a lot... Im on it now! Cant wait till the DP2 comes out to mess around with the new features and waiting on the "Dark Mode" lol...

Its coming, although I don't think you don't need it, its just for the boot options.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
The Guide!

AppleReviewGuy has a script that simplifies most of this, but I thought it would be nice to see a guide.

I am NOT responsible if you screw up your system. Not for noobs.

1. Aquire the OS X 10.10 Installation application.

2. Right click on it to "Show Package Contents"

3. Inside the app, go to 'Contents/SharedSupport' and mount InstallESD.dmg.

4. Open Terminal and run
Code:
cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/
then
Code:
open BaseSystem.dmg

5. Open Disk Utility, select your Thumbdrive (It needs to be larger than 6GB, I think.) and make 2 partitions, BOOT and Installer. Before you click 'Apply' click 'Options' and select 'Master Boot Record' but make sure you are still formatting it as 'Mac OS Extended.

6. Click 'Ok' then 'Apply' then wait for a bit.

7. Select 'Installer' in the Disk Utility list then go to 'Restore' (at the top).

8. Drag the mounted BaseSystem.dmg (white one, not the file with the disk on it) into the Source field and drag 'Installer' (from the disk util list) into the Destination field.

9. Click restore and get some coffee, long night ahead.

10. Now, in terminal, run these commands (Courtesy of AppleReviewGuy):

Code:
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/Packages/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

10. Alright, good job, download the Clover package here

11. Run the installer, but MAKE SURE you change the install location to your 'BOOT' drive. Also make sure your options you chose look like this:
qfFrOWV.png

12. Almost ready to reboot, just download this config.plist and place it into the root of your BOOT drive.

13. Run the bless command in terminal
Code:
sudo bless --folder=/Volumes/BOOT --file=/Volumes/BOOT/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi --setBoot --legacy

14. Reboot, when you hear the bong, hold option until the drive select menu appears.

15. Select 'Windows' and wait for a bit. When that appears, just make sure you select 'Boot OS X from Installer'

16. Wait a bit again, then the OS X Yose installer should appear. Run through it, make sure you select the partition you want to be Yose.

17. Reboot and run through steps 14 and 15, but this time it should boot into the First time Setup wizard.

18. Whenever you reach your desktop, if audio is broken get this and run it.

----------

its there.

Last edited:

applereviewguy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
AppleReviewGuy has a script that simplifies most of this, but I thought it would be nice to see a guide.

I am NOT responsible if you screw up your system. Not for noobs.

1. Aquire the OS X 10.10 Installation application.

2. Right click on it to "Show Package Contents"

3. Inside the app, go to 'Contents/SharedSupport' and mount InstallESD.dmg.

4. Open Terminal and run 'cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/' then 'open BaseSystem.dmg'.

5. Open Disk Utility, select your Thumbdrive (It needs to be larger than 6GB, I think.) and make 2 partitions, BOOT and Installer. Before you click 'Apply' click 'Options' and select 'Master Boot Record'.

6. Click 'Ok' then 'Apply' then wait for a bit.

7. Select 'Installer' in the Disk Utility list then go to 'Restore' (at the top).

8. Drag the mounted BaseSystem.dmg (white one, not the file with the disk on it) into the Source field and drag 'Installer' (from the disk util list) into the Destination field.

9. Click restore and get some coffee, long night ahead.

10. Alright, good job, download the Clover package here

11. Run the installer, but MAKE SURE you change the install location to your 'BOOT' drive. Also make sure your options you chose look like this:

12. Almost ready to reboot, just download this config.plist and place it into the root of your BOOT drive.

13. Run the bless command in terminal (sudo bless --folder=/Volumes/BOOT --file=/Volumes/BOOT/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi --setBoot --legacy)

14. Reboot, when you hear the bong, hold option until the drive select menu appears.

15. Select 'Windows' and wait for a bit. When that appears, just make sure you select 'Boot OS X from Installer'

16. Wait a bit again, then the OS X Yose installer should appear. Run through it, make sure you select the partition you want to be Yose.

17. Reboot and run through steps 14 and 15, but this time it should boot into the First time Setup wizard.

18. Whenever you reach your desktop, if audio is broken get this and run it.

----------

its there.

Good job!

Just missed:

cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
cp -r /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install ESD/Packages/ /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

And I think the image might be wrong for clover

EDIT: You fixed the image while I was writing :)

----------

Script will be done some time today*

Last edited:

thervp

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Delaware
Dang guys! You've all been really busy. I will probably just use Clover for now. Good work and kudos!

In case you're wondering, I got as far with my changes to Tiamo's source code as I did with his original boot.efi, which was essentially nowhere. Oh well. Tiamo or some other genius will come and fix it for us.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Good job!

Just missed:

And I think the image might be wrong for clover

EDIT: You fixed the image while I was writing :)

----------

Script will be done some time today*

Yup, whoops!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Okay. I can't seem to figure this thing out for the life of me

I'll figure it out, post the code, then sleep.

Code:
set drivename to the text returned of (display dialog "Pick yo drive, bitch" default answer "Installer")
say drivename

more halp
Code:
 set drivename to the text returned of (display dialog "Pick yo drive, bitch" default answer "Installer")
say drivename
do shell script "cd /Volumes/" & drivename

I cannot get it to ignore spaces, but thats what I got.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Sorry if this doesn't help, as I'm not familiar with it at all, but, just in case someone finds it useful and/or can shed some light on the issue, are you guys familiar with http://www.niresh12495.com/apple/macpwn/make-hackintosh-yosemite-usb-macpwn-niresh/ ?

Is this any different from the Clover solution being proposed?

Yeah, I wouldn't use that guide, its poorly written. Never heard of MacPwn, either. I'm sticking with the official build of Clover. Our guide will work, even if it seems 'more complicated'. Remember, this is really for developers, not for newbies.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't use that guide, its poorly written. Never heard of MacPwn, either. I'm sticking with the official build of Clover. Our guide will work, even if it seems 'more complicated'. Remember, this is really for developers, not for newbies.

Thank you for the advice. In any case, I don't think I entirely qualify as a noob, considering I was had already installed Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1, via Chameleon before it was officially released (don't ask me how I got the installer). In the case of Yosemite, however, considering the Chameleon path is somewhat unclear at the moment and that I know next to nothing about Clover, I'll wait a few more weeks before I physically install it. Yesterday I installed Yosemite as a VMWare Fusion 6.0.3 virtual machine. Installation went fine, but it seems to me that every time the VM is started (at least, that's what it did after installing VMWare Tools), it takes a long time to boot. It's as if it was rebuilding caches or something like that.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
All that time wasted...

exactly what I meant when expressing my personal dislike for Clover and the inconsistencies I always seem to come across when using it. I could swear that in order to install Clover on a real Mac, all one needed to do is format the BOOT partition in the following manner: GUID/FAT 32. All this time I am scratching my head as to why on earth my OS X 10.10 Install won't boot. I log onto here this morning read over the updates and discover that it is actually MBR/HFS+. And that was all I needed to do…done. I had everything else down pat accept for the correct Clover BOOT partition scheme.

Next time I run into the so called experts who completely gave false info regarding OS X 10.10 Yosemite and its supposed inability to Legacy boot, I will kindly inform them to get there facts straight. Indeed I had genuine cause to be alarmed when I was informed of this the other day as if it were true, indeed we all would have been screwed. Turns out that assessment was total b.s. and in Legacy mode Clover boots OS X 10.10 Yosemite just fine. Knuckleheads !!!

At any rate thanks for everyones collaboration and for setting the record straight.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Thank you for the advice. In any case, I don't think I entirely qualify as a noob, considering I was had already installed Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1, via Chameleon before it was officially released (don't ask me how I got the installer). In the case of Yosemite, however, considering the Chameleon path is somewhat unclear at the moment and that I know next to nothing about Clover, I'll wait a few more weeks before I physically install it. Yesterday I installed Yosemite as a VMWare Fusion 6.0.3 virtual machine. Installation went fine, but it seems to me that every time the VM is started (at least, that's what it did after installing VMWare Tools), it takes a long time to boot. It's as if it was rebuilding caches or something like that.

Well, the Clover bootloader has been great for me. It boots up fast and everything (except my graphics card) has been working how it should. I have bluetooth and audio working fine.

exactly what I meant when expressing my personal dislike for Clover and the inconsistencies I always seem to come across when using it. I could swear that in order to install Clover on a real Mac, all one needed to do is format the BOOT partition in the following manner: GUID/FAT 32. All this time I am scratching my head as to why on earth my OS X 10.10 Install won't boot. I log onto here this morning read over the updates and discover that it is actually MBR/HFS+. And that was all I needed to do…done. I had everything else down pat accept for the correct Clover BOOT partition scheme.

Next time I run into the so called experts who completely gave false info regarding OS X 10.10 Yosemite and its supposed inability to Legacy boot, I will kindly inform them to get there facts straight. Indeed I had genuine cause to be alarmed when I was informed of this the other day as if it were true, indeed we all would have been screwed. Turns out that assessment was total b.s. and in Legacy mode Clover boots OS X 10.10 Yosemite just fine. Knuckleheads !!!

At any rate thanks for everyones collaboration and for setting the record straight.

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out, I made a note in the guide to tell people to use 'Mac OS Extended'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.