Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

williakz

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
Thanks very much for the info. When I saw the page count at over 150, I never thought to go back and check Page 1. Live and learn. Shame about that nice speedy i7—seemed like a natural what with the right TDP and socket specs. Good news is the slower i7 CPU will save me just enough money to buy a programmer for the video chip (ha!). By the way, does it matter much whether I get an HP or Dell or any other "branded" one as long as it's the K1100M?

Last edited:

jmilan0302

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2019
By the way, does it matter much whether I get an HP or Dell or any other "branded" one as long as it's the K1100M?
As long as you're flashing Nick's VBIOS, it shouldn't matter. I would get whatever is known to work anyway, HP might not even have a EEPROM to flash as I know some HPs store the VBIOS on the motherboard itself.

Reactions: NOTNlCE

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Thanks very much for the info. When I saw the page count at over 150, I never thought to go back and check Page 1. Live and learn. Shame about that nice speedy i7—seemed like a natural what with the right TDP and socket specs. Good news is the slower i7 CPU will save me just enough money to buy a programmer for the video chip (ha!). By the way, does it matter much whether I get an HP or Dell or any other "branded" one as long as it's the K1100M?

The out of the box working VBIOS is a Dell VBIOS, but both K1100M that I've purchased had incompatible VBIOS on them despite them being Dell branded. If you want to forego the chip programmer, the VBIOS can be flashed from Windows if you force the iMac to boot it up and preconfigure the OS for remote access. (RDP, TeamViewer, etc.) If you go this route, I STRONGLY recommend disabling automatic driver installation (installing the Audio Driver will cause the OS to BSOD). I ended up blocking the MAC address on my firewall to prevent this.

Reactions: williakz

williakz

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
Oof! Lotsa hard-won tech there. Looks like I better dig into the mountain and see what you guys have been up to (and against). Coming in at the end of the show, as I tried to do, ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks, jmilan302 and NOTNICE.

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
I just install Catalina and honestly it feels a bit snappier compared to Mojave. Now I just need to figure out a way to install Win10 onto SSD2... :)

Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 22.08.10.png

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
passatgt - any specific steps? does wifi work? Heard that Atheros is not supported

Nope, just used the Catalina patcher to create a disk, installed it and its working. I replaced the wifi card a while ago to support continuity. Wifi works, but no continuity/handoff/watch unlock sadly :(

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
Hello everyone,
If performing a Catalina combo update with my Sleep kexts installed, the machine will kernel panic. This is due to the IOSurface.kext being replaced. The best way to solve this issue is to boot the drive using Target disk Mode on a supported Mac and reinstalling the kexts. If upgrading from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 this is not necessary as the IOSurface kext is not replaced.

Reactions: NOTNlCE and jborko

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
Sorry about the off-topic... I was able to trick Catalina to think I have a DVD drive installed by mounting a Win10 iso using Daemon Tools(never knew this existed for MacOS!). The BootCamp tool created a BootCamp disk, system restarted immediately and it booted from my USB win10 installer just fine. However when I got to actually installing it, this is what it said:

IMG_1491.JPG

Any ideas? Should I just try to erase the drive in Windows Setup? I was worried it might mess up something else, so I just quit.

Update: managed to install WIN10, however it will only start in Safe mode. I tried to install Nvidia drivers there, but 780m does not show up un device manager, so it won't install it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgaillar

StereoNewt

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
Sorry about the off-topic... I was able to trick Catalina to think I have a DVD drive installed by mounting a Win10 iso using Daemon Tools(never knew this existed for MacOS!). The BootCamp tool created a BootCamp disk, system restarted immediately and it booted from my USB win10 installer just fine. However when I got to actually installing it, this is what it said:

View attachment 883252

Any ideas? Should I just try to erase the drive in Windows Setup? I was worried it might mess up something else, so I just quit.

Update: managed to install WIN10, however it will only start in Safe mode. I tried to install Nvidia drivers there, but 780m does not show up un device manager, so it won't install it.

to install windows 10 on my computer i followed this tutorial

Reactions: jborko

thinkingbrain

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Torino - Italy
hi guys!
for understand i'm in the right way...
the ch341a are come and i try to read my k1100m bios...
this is a copy, I hope, of what i read and save. can someone tell me if it is updatable, I don't understand anything and before proceeding I would like to understand... ehehe

Attachments

• backup_k1100.rom.zip
    61 KB · Views: 151

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
Ok, so after days of messing around, here is how you install Win 10. My machine:
iMac 2011 27"
Nvidia 780m with Nick's rom
2 SSD in Sata0 and Sata1 connectors
ODD removed(I have the second SSD installed there, but its connected to the third sata port)

I'm not sure if you can skip any steps, but I think its best to follow this correctly:

What you need:
  • Windows PC to create an install disk
  • 2 empty 8gb+ usb drive
  • Patience
1. Install Catalina with Catalina patcher onto SATA0
2. On a Windows PC, download Windows Media Creation Tool and create a bootable usb drive with the latest Win10
3. Install Daemon Tools on Catalina
4. Download a Windows 10 ISO file
5. Mount the ISO using Daemon Tools
6. Launch Boot Camp Assistant, plug in an empty USB drive and click Continue.
7. Make sure Download the latest Windows support... and Install Windows 10 or later.. is checked and click Continue
8. Select your empty USB drive(it will copy the support software onto this) and select your other SSD as the install drive
9. Download is pretty slow, takes about half an hour but after that it will restart automatically
10. Wait a little and it will say that enter a bootable usb disk on a black screen. Do nothing, just turn off and restart your Mac, holding down option to boot back into Catalina
11. Install GPT disk and make sure that Hybrid MBR is not used. Just follow the instructions on this link. (interesting to note that even though Catalina was originally installed in disk0, after Boot Camp Utility does its stuff, it will change it to disk1 and disk0 will be your bootcamp drive)
12. Turn off the iMac, remove everything except an USB keyboard and your USB Windows 10 install that you created in step 2. Remove the batteries from your BT keyboard and mouse too.
13. Hold down option while you turn on the iMac, select the USB(orange icon) EFI Boot option and simply install Windows 10 onto the drive labelled as Bootcamp
14. During the install process, if I counted correctly, Windows will restart 4 times. So be ready to hold down option when you hear the boot sound and select the EFI Drive(but not the USB one, the normal with a hard drive icon). But keep the USB plugged in!
15. Once Windows 10 is installed and desktop is shown, wait for 5-10 minutes. It will automatically download some drivers, like Nvidia graphics. Screen will turn off and back on a couple of times.
16. Plug in the USB drive that Boot Camp utility created and install the bootcamp drivers
17. Do a Windows update
18. Find the Apple Software Update app and install all updates it will found(in my case 3 and I had to install it one by one, starting with the last one, otherwise it wasn't working)
19. No audio, but in theory you can fix it with Valor (did not tried it yet) or just use an USB 3.5 adapter. I tested, and I paired a bluetooth headset and it was working out of the box without Valor.

I had some crashes first, but after doing all windows update and bootcamp update, it looks like its working correctly now. And thanks for the help, I used various tips and tricks from the links shared before.

Reactions: NOTNlCE and jborko

jborko

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Going back to the GPU's...

@Nick [D]vB I understand from some of your earlier posts that AMD cards can achieve full HW acceleration with OpenCore. Is it the same with the Nvidia cards? I am still waiting for that 7100 but eager to try if I can achieve that with the 765?

Anyone here successful in achieving that full HW acceleration on Nvidia?

thinkingbrain

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Torino - Italy
sudo flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w k1100.rom

using this command in flashrom i copy the rom right?
can the file be in any position or do I need to specify the path????

thinkingbrain

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Torino - Italy
Specify the path or run the command from the folder where the rom is stored.

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found Winbond flash chip "W25X20" (256 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Is there a way to check if the flash went well?

Borod@

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
Hello. Friends, please help me, I have an iMac 21.5 mid2010 with a k1100m card that updated VBiOS from our dear friend Nick (D), I did not get a boot screen, I decided to reinstall the OS on Catalina, the screen was turned on for the first time, but this terribly slows down in the iMac system itself, I decided to restart the computer and got a black screen, resetting NVRAM helped, but until the next reboot + OS, the animation was very slow. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how to solve this problem?

Attachments

• 9A6C3ACA-B1AB-48BE-A7CE-449CBB8C4FB6.jpeg
    9A6C3ACA-B1AB-48BE-A7CE-449CBB8C4FB6.jpeg
    686.3 KB · Views: 219
  • BBE045C6-B284-499C-92E1-B8ED4D44608C.jpeg
    BBE045C6-B284-499C-92E1-B8ED4D44608C.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 4EFDEEC6-26F8-41C9-B518-3717A655F126.jpeg
    4EFDEEC6-26F8-41C9-B518-3717A655F126.jpeg
    639.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 6353F6EA-64D3-4429-ABBC-7CB7EF10A8D3.jpeg
    6353F6EA-64D3-4429-ABBC-7CB7EF10A8D3.jpeg
    646.3 KB · Views: 178

jborko

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found Winbond flash chip "W25X20" (256 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.
Is there a way to check if the flash went well?

I believe it did. Just to be safe.
sudo flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -v k1100.rom
[automerge]1576709016[/automerge]
Hello. Friends, please help me, I have an iMac 21.5 mid2010 with a k1100m card that updated VBiOS from our dear friend Nick (D), I did not get a boot screen, I decided to reinstall the OS on Catalina, the screen was turned on for the first time, but this terribly slows down in the iMac system itself, I decided to restart the computer and got a black screen, resetting NVRAM helped, but until the next reboot + OS, the animation was very slow. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how to solve this problem?

I personally, initially want to stay with "supported" macOS (High Sierra), make it work there, only then explore Catalina.

Reactions: thinkingbrain

thinkingbrain

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Torino - Italy
I believe it did. Just to be safe.

i'm try... finger cross

after this.. build the video card and try... right?
i have a test ssd whit high sierra 10.13.6
need to disable SIP before starting (build a ssd in an old macbook and disable...) or i try??

thanks for the help you're giving me!

jborko

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Boot into High Sierra (use disk0 position if possible), make sure you are on the latest security patch (this was requirement for the bootrom mod), disable SIP, have the card flashed with latest vbios, put it in and fingers crossed.

System speed btw can be influenced by other things too...

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011

You will only see the boot screen if you are holding down the option button. For Catalina, it probably installed the legacy video drivers automatically, which you don't need because of the replaced GPU, that's why you see slow performance. This is described in the first post, how you can change the installer to not install the legacy drivers for 2010 iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.