Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
You need both your iMac and another computer (I used my Windows PC) to flash.
Check the first post to get the link about how to flash, or search the post about GRML USB (a small Linux USB to plug in your iMac and boot from there)
Boot the iMac from the GRML Linux USB + wire LAN to your router.
Wait until it is online (IP address visible on the router management page, the imac will be named "grml"), probably 3-5min.
SSH from the Windows PC to the iMac and proceed with the PCIe check, then flash command (just follow the guideline in the post that come with the link to get the GRML files)

Hi Nguyen,

I've been unable to flash the card. I manage to boot GRML and even have access to its Debian window system. But I can't seem to find the tool to flash the card anywhere. I've tried accessing via SSH from both a Windows and an iMac with the same result, access to port 22 denied.

Vladistone

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I only see "WX4130_GOP.rom" in the zip file. What other one are you referring to?

Maybe redo all your steps slowly again and follow my guide. Confirm GRML flashed and compared flash with vbios file successfully.
I’ll add my 5 cents: it’s always necessary to monitor what you’re doing and have an idea of the changes! for example, when flashing vBIOS, there is final additional information in the terminal when using SSH (here is my example that I demonstrated after flashing vBIOS).
If you successfully flashed the video card via SSH w/grml & amdflash vbios, then you should have received OLD&NEW information about this with your own data before and after the firmware? like this:
Снимок экрана 2024-04-07 144436.png

Last edited:
Reactions: howardc64

Vladistone

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I probably confused you with my reasoning, sorry for my English. I mentioned about the capabilities of the M6100, which should support up to 5 monitors in certain conditions (although what resolution is not specified). But I connected only 2 monitors (iMac 11.3 and an external with the same 2560x1440 matrice via DP-HDMI adapter) and I can’t achieve stable operation on two monitors at the same time in 2K resolution.
I want to share my success in assembling two 2k monitors setup with iMac 11.3 and an Apple cinema display 27 (which was mode to connect via HDMI) - I got the result with a 2K display resolution at both displays. BUT it wasn't happen from the first settings, than the system cocked and began to work properly. Additionally had to do:
- bought a new miniDP-HDMI 2.0 cable
- a clean installation of MacOS Big Sur 11.7.10 with a new SSD
- I had to experiment several times and change the settings of the second display until the main display accidentally went into an unsupported resolution mode. and only after a forced reset of the display settings through MacOS safe mode (holding shift key when start the OS) did the AMD Fire pro M6100 video card start up without problems.
here is a picture of this exercise:
IMG_8567.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi Nguyen,

I've been unable to flash the card. I manage to boot GRML and even have access to its Debian window system. But I can't seem to find the tool to flash the card anywhere. I've tried accessing via SSH from both a Windows and an iMac with the same result, access to port 22 denied.

The tool to flash the card is on the GRML USB, including with most of the vBIOS file.
Just search inside it, or read thoroughly the guideline about flashing. I learnt all from the guidelines.

If you can access the Debian windows of the GRML iMac, you can just navigate to the flash folder and type the command from there to flash. You need to know some Linux command to do so.
I used to create the GRML USB from my Windows PC, copy the flash tool and the vBIOS rom I need to a new folder where I can remember and access easily, then move the GRML USB to boot on the iMac.

To do SSH:
Second attempt to SSH to the GRML iMac will be blocked by Windows, until you delete the file that contains the key on the specific folder (just look at the notice to locate the file).

Last edited:
Reactions: DickDiver

Zuuro

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
My GTX 880m died so i got a RX480. Putting in my 2009 imac and got booting to OCLP.
When i chose the drive its loading but midway screen goes black and 2nd screen goes purple. Tried with Shift+Enter doesnt help. I tried with bootable usb same thing happen. Any thing else i can try?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
My GTX 880m died so i got a RX480. Putting in my 2009 imac and got booting to OCLP.
When i chose the drive its loading but midway screen goes black and 2nd screen goes purple. Tried with Shift+Enter doesnt help. I tried with bootable usb same thing happen. Any thing else i can try?

I guess it's simple a mismatch in OCLP configuration (GTX880m vs RX480)
1. Take out the drive to work on another Mac.
2. Purge the OCLP patch on that drive. Google on how to do.
3. Run OCLP again, MANUALLY configure it to match with your iMac and GPU. Overwrite it on the EFI volume of the drive.
4. Put it back to iMac 2009 and boot to see if it could fix your issue.

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
If you can access the Debian windows of the GRML iMac, you can just navigate to the flash folder and type the command from there to flash. You need to know some Linux command to do so.
I used to create the GRML USB from my Windows PC, copy the flash tool and the vBIOS rom I need to a new folder where I can remember and access easily, then move the GRML USB to boot on the iMac.
Hi Nguyen,

It's possible that I've downloaded a version of the Linux distribution without the necessary utilities to flash the graphics card. Nevertheless, I've used the integrated browser to download the latest version of the amdvbflash utility. I've uncompressed it, given it privileges, and attempted to execute it with no success. I've downloaded several versions and have consistently obtained the same result. I'm sure the mistake made is a simple one, but I can't seem to spot it.

I'm attaching a screenshot to see if someone can point out the error for me...

IMG_8744.jpeg

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hi Nguyen,

It's possible that I've downloaded a version of the Linux distribution without the necessary utilities to flash the graphics card. Nevertheless, I've used the integrated browser to download the latest version of the amdvbflash utility. I've uncompressed it, given it privileges, and attempted to execute it with no success. I've downloaded several versions and have consistently obtained the same result. I'm sure the mistake made is a simple one, but I can't seem to spot it.

I'm attaching a screenshot to see if someone can point out the error for me...

View attachment 2376363

We have a mis-communication here.
In this thread, whenever we use the term: "GRML Linux" or GRML USB, we are referring to the guideline in these 2 posts. You need to read both of them to proceed. The link inside these posts has enough tools and vBIOSes for even a newbie like me to be successful at my first attempts.

Link to the GRML Linux files adjusted by The_Croupier

Last edited:

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
We have a mis-communication here.
In this thread, whenever we use the term: "GRML Linux" or GRML USB, we are referring to the guideline in these 2 posts. You need to read both of them to proceed. The link inside these posts has enough tools and vBIOSes for even a newbie like me to be successful at my first attempts.
Hi Nguyen,

I've switched Linux distribution and now the commands that previously didn't work are functioning properly.

The issue is that I believe I've been scammed with the purchased card. It was supposed to be an M6100 with 2GB of vRAM. When I ask the amdbvflash program for BIOS information, this is what appears...

IMG_8754.jpeg

Only 1GB of vRAM and the flashing of the M6100-General-EnableGop.rom BIOS fails.

IMG_8753.jpeg

Edit: I see that @PsychoSync had a similar issue. I think I need to keep trying with other ROMs

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hi Nguyen,

I've switched Linux distribution and now the commands that previously didn't work are functioning properly.

The issue is that I believe I've been scammed with the purchased card. It was supposed to be an M6100 with 2GB of vRAM. When I ask the amdbvflash program for BIOS information, this is what appears...

View attachment 2376607

Only 1GB of vRAM and the flashing of the M6100-General-EnableGop.rom BIOS fails.

View attachment 2376608

Edit: I see that @PsychoSync had a similar issue. I think I need to keep trying with other ROMs

Which other ROMs are you going to try?
Unless knowing for sure the card you have at hand, looking for a proper ROMs to flash is a very tough job.
How to determine what is the card you have at hand?
1. Clean the GPU chip, read the GPU mark, and use it to Google.
2. Count the memory chips (VRAM chips), read their marks, then Google for their specs. A simple math will help you confirm how much VRAM you have.
By the way, what is the color of your graphic card?

Reactions: DickDiver

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
Which other ROMs are you going to try?
I was planning to try the Hynix memory bios, but since I have time to return the card, I will ask the seller to send me one that is properly flashed. I don't want to risk damaging the card.

Unless knowing for sure the card you have at hand, looking for a proper ROMs to flash is a very tough job.
How to determine what is the card you have at hand?
1. Clean the GPU chip, read the GPU mark, and use it to Google.
2. Count the memory chips (VRAM chips), read their marks, then Google for their specs. A simple math will help you confirm how much VRAM you have.
By the way, what is the color of your graphic card?

The card is red, it has Hynix memory and it actually has 2GB of vRAM, so the problem is that they flashed it with the wrong ROM.

I will ask the seller to send me one that works as it should.

Thanks for all, Nguyen!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
I was planning to try the Hynix memory bios, but since I have time to return the card, I will ask the seller to send me one that is properly flashed. I don't want to risk damaging the card.

The card is red, it has Hynix memory and it actually has 2GB of vRAM, so the problem is that they flashed it with the wrong ROM.

Thanks for all, Nguyen!

Just a wrong vBIOS. So far I've tried one or two ROM from this threads, but only the GitHub folder of Ausdauersportler works for my iMac 2009, like a native card.
I suggest you try it before quitting. Asking the seller to send another card will not result good, they probably don't know about Ausdauersportler's vBIOS.

The following ROM works for my M6100, which is also a red card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladistone

Vladistone

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Планировал попробовать биос памяти Hynix, но так как есть время вернуть карту, попрошу продавца выслать мне правильно прошитую. Я не хочу рисковать испортить карту.

Карта красная, у нее память Hynix и на самом деле 2 ГБ видеопамяти, так что проблема в том, что они прошили ее не тем ПЗУ.

Я попрошу продавца прислать мне тот, который работает как надо.

Спасибо за все, Нгуен!
You are not the discoverer of the Aliexpress scam. I already described this exact situation a couple of pages ago: when, according to the seller, you hope for a ready-made result by buying an unsupported Apple card like AMD M6100... and as a result of the investigation, the result of the iMac upgrading doesn't satisfy you and your own embarrassment of misunderstanding is aggravated by the lack of experience in flashing experimental versions of video cards (that is you are stupefied by what is happening when you installing the card in a vintage computer) ((..
You need to have a clear brain and a few weeks to study other people's experiences on this site...
don't despair and be patient in your own research... it's worth it!
IMG_8584.jpeg
I spent several weeks, if not couple months, for the upgrade in good decision, taking into account the choice of a card for repair and waiting after the purchase, including simultaneously studying the nuances in the rest of the iMac 11.3 peripheral equipment and I don’t consider myself an advanced hacker, so I still read a lot and learn by my mistakes and refurbished equipment...
included the LED display socket unmout & repearing: (last 3 photos)

Attachments

• IMG_8568.jpeg
    IMG_8568.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8570.jpeg
    IMG_8570.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8569.jpeg
    IMG_8569.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015

Thanks for all, Nguyen!
In case you really got a card with 2 GB, then we need the original VBIOS of your card to create a VBIOS with the correct memory configuration can be created.

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
The following ROM works for my M6100, which is also a red card.

Precisely that is the Bios that I had chosen because it was the last one made and that seems to have simplified the memory support. The result was what you saw in the screenshot, failure.

You are not the discoverer of the Aliexpress scam. I already described this exact situation a couple of pages ago: when, according to the seller, you hope for a ready-made result by buying an unsupported Apple card like AMD M6100... and as a result of the investigation, the result of the iMac upgrading doesn't satisfy you and your own embarrassment of misunderstanding is aggravated by the lack of experience in flashing experimental versions of video cards (that is you are stupefied by what is happening when you installing the card in a vintage computer) ((..
You need to have a clear brain and a few weeks to study other people's experiences on this site...
don't despair and be patient in your own research... it's worth it!

If you read my postscript/edit, there I acknowledge that I should try other ROMs, that it was not a scam.

In case you really got a card with 2 GB, then we need the original VBIOS of your card to create a VBIOS with the correct memory configuration can be created.

That's the problem, the card was already flashed to work on Mac. I don't have access to its original BIOS, so I returned the card and asked them to send me an unmodified one, so that it would be easier to modify it with the help from this magnificent community.

Last edited:

Nexus665

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024
Hi,

listed in Post #1 in the GCN4 cards section it says that all green Dell WX4130 cards work in pretty much all models, but also says that some cards just won't POST unless some mods are done to disable SMC communication for a temp sensor, from what I read.

Whatever the reason, I seem to have gotten "lucky" with a non-POSTing green Dell WX4130 card - it gets stuck in a boot loop, every couple of seconds you hear the bootup gong, repeats until power off, display is dark. If no RAM is inserted, it does not keep resetting, but repeats the RAM missing code. If I reinsert the old 6970 that only survives a few minutes before crashing, it boots fine.

Just to be sure: the fact that it still has the Dell VBios does not cause this, correct? Since there are instructions on how to flash post-install using a bootable image I assume it should boot fine, even if maybe without display output at boot.

iMac 12,2 (Mid 2011) 27", large/3 Heatpipe GPU heatsink

What I can pretty much exclude are shorts - made doubly sure of that, covered both card surfaces (including Caps on GPU die) in Kapton tape where no thermal pads or heatsink connect, also covered X bracket between PCB and bracket (reused original one) as well as on top of it with Kapton. May have been a bit annoyed and grasping at straws at that point (about the 4th dis/reassembly)...still no go.
The GPU also has perfectly fine contact with my copper shim, the impression in the thermal paste clearly shows this. Thermal paste (TGrizz Kryonaut, nonconducting) is applied both sides of the shim, obviously.

So at this point, does anyone have experience with this issue? I have checked the instructions for modding blue HP cards, the layout on my Dell card is totally different. I'll try and find a similar temp sensor on my card...can still return it within a few days, unmodded obviously ^^ I am willing and able to solder SMD parts, 1206 is huge anyway. If there is a valid path to mod it, I'd rather play with it and get it working than send it back.

Kind regards and thanks for any help/pointers! I've attached a few photos of the card including the spots where the HP cards need to be modded.

<edit>oops, inserted unedited images, these are clearer</edit>

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_003747.jpg
    IMG_20240514_003747.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240514_002312.jpg
    IMG_20240514_002312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240514_003539.jpg
    IMG_20240514_003539.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240514_003729.jpg
    IMG_20240514_003729.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240514_003817.jpg
    IMG_20240514_003817.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Hi,

listed in Post #1 in the GCN4 cards section it says that all green Dell WX4130 cards work in pretty much all models, but also says that some cards just won't POST unless some mods are done to disable SMC communication for a temp sensor, from what I read.

Whatever the reason, I seem to have gotten "lucky" with a non-POSTing green Dell WX4130 card - it gets stuck in a boot loop, every couple of seconds you hear the bootup gong, repeats until power off, display is dark. If no RAM is inserted, it does not keep resetting, but repeats the RAM missing code. If I reinsert the old 6970 that only survives a few minutes before crashing, it boots fine.

Just to be sure: the fact that it still has the Dell VBios does not cause this, correct? Since there are instructions on how to flash post-install using a bootable image I assume it should boot fine, even if maybe without display output at boot.

iMac 12,2 (Mid 2011) 27", large/3 Heatpipe GPU heatsink

What I can pretty much exclude are shorts - made doubly sure of that, covered both card surfaces (including Caps on GPU die) in Kapton tape where no thermal pads or heatsink connect, also covered X bracket between PCB and bracket (reused original one) as well as on top of it with Kapton. May have been a bit annoyed and grasping at straws at that point (about the 4th dis/reassembly)...still no go.
The GPU also has perfectly fine contact with my copper shim, the impression in the thermal paste clearly shows this. Thermal paste (TGrizz Kryonaut, nonconducting) is applied both sides of the shim, obviously.

So at this point, does anyone have experience with this issue? I have checked the instructions for modding blue HP cards, the layout on my Dell card is totally different. I'll try and find a similar temp sensor on my card...can still return it within a few days, unmodded obviously ^^ I am willing and able to solder SMD parts, 1206 is huge anyway. If there is a valid path to mod it, I'd rather play with it and get it working than send it back.

Kind regards and thanks for any help/pointers! I've attached a few photos of the card including the spots where the HP cards need to be modded.

<edit>oops, inserted unedited images, these are clearer</edit>

I did 2x Dell green wx4130 version 1.1 (same as your card pic) without any trouble. Same process as other few metal GPU upgrades I did. Just to confirm, vBIOS is from post #15868 and file "WX41x0 iMac GOP VBIOS" and verification after flashing (read flash content, compared to flashed file) was successful.

If so, maybe bad GPU card?

fulltilt54

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
I also bought a pre-flashed Rx480 4gb ver1.0 off aliexpress last year and have been fighting overheating/power draw issues with it, but aside from the occasional crash, it worked fine for my son playing Fortnight on low/medium settings on my 2010 Imac 27" w/ 3 pipe heatsink until the other day. After upgrading the Bluetooth/WifI and adding a 3rd SSD drive, I ran Furmark on it the other day and it crashes every time after 1-2 seconds before it even had a chance to get hot. It was also doing it when loading up the Star Wars Squadrons game and Fortnight was suddenly powering off the computer at settings that worked last week. I looked at GPU-Z and noticed that under the Advanced/General Tab it listed the board power limit as 155W which is clearly wrong for an MXM card. I realized this was probably a power issue and not a heat issue. I was on the verge of buying another power supply, but decided to try reflashing the bios using the ones in this thread. I was going to try the reduced power version that Internetzel posted last year, but first I tried the one linked from the 1st page. It worked, no more crashing, I can run Furmark for as long as I please now. Gpu-Z reports the board power limit as 67W now. All I can assume is that the vendor flashed the wrong bios, maybe from a desktop card and coupled with the added power draw of the extra SSD and the new bluetooth/wifi cards it was more than the psu could supply. Everything else worked, even sleep and target display mode, so the bios was close anyways.

Posting this in case this happens to anyone else and maybe as PSA to re-flash any chinese purchased cards because who knows what Bios they are using. I'm uploading the original 155w Power Limit Bios that came on my card just in case anyone who knows how to look at these things can satisfy my curiosity about what the heck this Bios is.

WX7100_GOP_4GB.ROM is working great on this card and it is identified as Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics in Win 10. Card works well in Monterey as well and can now run Unigine Valley for as long as needed without crashing.

Hi, I bought an rx 480 ver 1.0 4gb on aliexpress, I flashed the GOP bios and when I start furmark on windows and imac turns off

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 155821.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 155821.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2024-05-14 155926.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 155926.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 26
  • rx480ALI.zip
    109 KB · Views: 6
  • front rx480.png
    front rx480.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 25
  • back rx480.png
    back rx480.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 23

yezhou1225

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2022
I also bought a pre-flashed Rx480 4gb ver1.0 off aliexpress last year and have been fighting overheating/power draw issues with it, but aside from the occasional crash, it worked fine for my son playing Fortnight on low/medium settings on my 2010 Imac 27" w/ 3 pipe heatsink until the other day. After upgrading the Bluetooth/WifI and adding a 3rd SSD drive, I ran Furmark on it the other day and it crashes every time after 1-2 seconds before it even had a chance to get hot. It was also doing it when loading up the Star Wars Squadrons game and Fortnight was suddenly powering off the computer at settings that worked last week. I looked at GPU-Z and noticed that under the Advanced/General Tab it listed the board power limit as 155W which is clearly wrong for an MXM card. I realized this was probably a power issue and not a heat issue. I was on the verge of buying another power supply, but decided to try reflashing the bios using the ones in this thread. I was going to try the reduced power version that Internetzel posted last year, but first I tried the one linked from the 1st page. It worked, no more crashing, I can run Furmark for as long as I please now. Gpu-Z reports the board power limit as 67W now. All I can assume is that the vendor flashed the wrong bios, maybe from a desktop card and coupled with the added power draw of the extra SSD and the new bluetooth/wifi cards it was more than the psu could supply. Everything else worked, even sleep and target display mode, so the bios was close anyways.

Posting this in case this happens to anyone else and maybe as PSA to re-flash any chinese purchased cards because who knows what Bios they are using. I'm uploading the original 155w Power Limit Bios that came on my card just in case anyone who knows how to look at these things can satisfy my curiosity about what the heck this Bios is.

WX7100_GOP_4GB.ROM is working great on this card and it is identified as Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics in Win 10. Card works well in Monterey as well and can now run Unigine Valley for as long as needed without crashing.
The RX 480 rom you attached seems like the old RX480_GOP.rom in this thread.
155w is really too high for iMac.
But, the good result is your card is good working.

Reactions: fulltilt54

fulltilt54

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
Thanks for that. It’s weird because with the original bios, the driver let me change the tuning section, I tried underclocking it originally without any luck. That section disappeared when I flashed the bios in post# 10779. I looked it up and the mobile version has this section locked while the desktop cards leave it unlocked, which makes me think it’s a desktop bios too.

But you are right, it’s working now and that’s all I care about!

Last edited:

dorninko

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Austria
About the AMD Polaris/Ellesmere vBIOS version booting High Sierra

Booting into High Sierra disables the internal LCD when macOS drivers take over (late boot phase). This is really confusing since the OC boot picker works on power on and during 90% of the boot phase and suddenly the screen turns off.

There is no software fix for this bug. The only work around is this hard - wire mod. Connecting the green and white marked pins enables the internal screen back, brightness control is fully working. The connection needs to be made during the complete time when High Sierra is booted and used. Sleep disables the display, wake brings it back.

Disconnecting the both pins switches the LCD off, again.

Never thought we would need another such hardware mod for this corner case. But who is using High Sierra with this cards and system today?
Hello Ausdauersportler, I just upgraded an iMac 12,2 with WX4130 and High Sierra (my Brother-in-law wants to use this old system). I tried this hardware-fix but it did not work, any ideas why?

Cheers, and thanks for the GREAT work, I already upgraded over 40 iMacs.

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Ausdauersportler, I just upgraded an iMac 12,2 with WX4130 and High Sierra (my Brother-in-law wants to use this old system). I tried this hardware-fix but it did not work, any ideas why?

Cheers, and thanks for the GREAT work, I already upgraded over 40 iMacs.
Could you please describe your actual issue?
  • Which VBIOS did you flash?
    • Do you get the native boot picker (in case of EG VBIOS only)?
  • Is OCLP installed?
    • Do you get the OCLP boot picker?
  • Do other OSes (Windows, Linux, later macOS versions) manage to enable the display correctly?

dorninko

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Austria
Could you please describe your actual issue?
  • Which VBIOS did you flash?
    • Do you get the native boot picker (in case of EG VBIOS only)?
  • Is OCLP installed?
    • Do you get the OCLP boot picker?
  • Do other OSes (Windows, Linux, later macOS versions) manage to enable the display correctly?
I am not sure about the VBIOS, I used this card in another iMac with OCLP and Sonoma, everything worked fine. The I put this card into another iMac with High Sierra and it worked with an external display connected. Then I read the comment about the hardware fix and tried it without success.
No OCLP on the High Sierra iMac
Yes I get the boot picker.
Have not tried any other OS on that machine but as mentioned before, it worked fine with OCLP and Sonoma on another 12,2 iMac

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
I am not sure about the VBIOS, I used this card in another iMac with OCLP and Sonoma, everything worked fine. The I put this card into another iMac with High Sierra and it worked with an external display connected. Then I read the comment about the hardware fix and tried it without success.
No OCLP on the High Sierra iMac
Yes I get the boot picker.
Have not tried any other OS on that machine but as mentioned before, it worked fine with OCLP and Sonoma on another 12,2 iMac
OpenCore can/will fix that issue.
The first post describes four ways to solve the issue. I myself had used OpenCore or an external display to solve it.
You can try the patch which is also linked there and seems to be rather simple to apply.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-18 um 16.53.08.png

Last edited:

dorninko

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Austria
OpenCore can/will fix that issue.
The first post describes four ways to solve the issue. I myself had used OpenCore or an external display to solve it.
You can try the patch which is also linked there and seems to be rather simple to apple.
View attachment 2379833
Thanks a lot for the input.
I will go the recommended way and buy a miniDP emulator stick. Seems to be the easiest solution.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.