Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
It sure looks like it should work! The number is the same on that card as it was on mine. Looks like it should work. I'd go through the entire process at post 509 on this thread. I followed it to a T and I've been working just fine.

I did it exactly the way it explained in 509 but still did not work then I also used activation tool that is mentioned in some previous comments and that didn't work either...

I have ordered this card.. hopefully this one works on mine.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV1IXV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I did it exactly the way it explained in 509 but still did not work then I also used activation tool that is mentioned in some previous comments and that didn't work either...

I have ordered this card.. hopefully this one works on mine.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV1IXV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would check & make sure that you installed the card correctly and that all cables are fully connected. I've never had an issue with Bluetooth or Wifi not working at all...just wouldn't use the Bluetooth LE for Handoff until I performed the kext hack.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
I would check & make sure that you installed the card correctly and that all cables are fully connected. I've never had an issue with Bluetooth or Wifi not working at all...just wouldn't use the Bluetooth LE for Handoff until I performed the kext hack.

I checked it couple of times and made sure all cables were connected....
Wifi worked but bluetooth did not work at all.

frankc92

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Hi Rocky

I've had a similar experience as you, I bought it from the same place actually too - same seller? Miss Cherry on AliExpress.

WiFi works, no BlueTooth. Not sure what's going on, deciding whether or not to open a dispute.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Hi Rocky

I've had a similar experience as you, I bought it from the same place actually too - same seller? Miss Cherry on AliExpress.

WiFi works, no BlueTooth. Not sure what's going on, deciding whether or not to open a dispute.

I already opened dispute and got that money refund as well. Not sure if that card is good or not.. I purchased one from amazon at much higher price and hope it works.

frankc92

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Interesting. I'll wait for the seller to get back to me before I open a dispute - will open one tomorrow evening if they don't get back to me. Luckily I paid via PayPal.

Thanks. It's a shame all the chips are super high in price now.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Interesting. I'll wait for the seller to get back to me before I open a dispute - will open one tomorrow evening if they don't get back to me. Luckily I paid via PayPal.

Thanks. It's a shame all the chips are super high in price now.

yes, I know. but I hope it works this time...

gugge

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I bought a card from China for 10 $ and received it today but mine says the same thing, "bluetooth unavailable"... Wifi works but not bluetooth. I tripple checked all cables and it was connected correctly... My old AX card still works fine. Too bad they are like 7 times more expensive atm :(

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
I bought a card from China for 10 $ and received it today but mine says the same thing, "bluetooth unavailable"... Wifi works but not bluetooth. I tripple checked all cables and it was connected correctly... My old AX card still works fine. Too bad they are like 7 times more expensive atm :(

I know..I am going to receive this new expensive card tomorrow. I will let you know if it works or not.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I got my CAX card and used the app to do the kext change stuff.

Handoff is working (somewhat, difficult to test) with iPhone 6+ -
BUT, my wifi range is reduced to utter crap.

I have full bars on my router and the guest network. I can even see my neighbor's networks (and I live in a rural area so those houses are >200' from me in a wooded area).

But I cannot seem to connect to my router from more than about 5 feet away.

I disassembled and recheck connections, but everything seems firmly attached.

en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xF5)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.124.12.8)
MAC Address: (deleted by me)
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported
Current Network Information:
-- network name here deleted by me--
PHY Mode: 802.11n
BSSID: yep, I cleared this one too
Channel: 157,1
Country Code: US
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: WPA2 Personal
Signal / Noise: -40 dBm / -90 dBm
Transmit Rate: 54
MCS Index: 3

And BT side

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.3.0f10 14890
Hardware, Features, and Settings:
Address: 7C-C3-A1-44-BE-D5
Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes
Handoff Supported: Yes
Instant Hotspot Supported: Yes
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Transport: USB
Chipset: Unknown (ffff) <<<??? Does this matter?
Firmware Version: v147 c5799

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
update to above. I swapped back to original card and all the issues went away. Going to write that one off as a defective card and contact the seller.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Pics as requested.
I got the card off of eBay, and have contacted the seller. I am waiting to hear back from them before bringing their name into it. Everyone has an occasional bad part.

Attachments

• A-side.jpg
    A-side.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 215
  • B-side.jpg
    B-side.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 198

jhnn7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Netherlands
Just an update from me as Yosemite was upgraded to 10.10.1 and "broke" the software fix for Handoff.

I kept the modified kext file that I edited myself. (I followed all the steps from mikecwest on post 509 where he was quoted.) I simply started from step 18 from his post (509) and finished the steps.

Everything works again! Simple & easy patch. BTW, I'm on a Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 with the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX card in it.

I have a MBP 13' late 2011 with a new BT card CAX what was working perfectly thanks to to the tutorials (tnx guys). Today I updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 through the app store, wish I hadn't do it. It caused my wifi to go down and after reinstalling the original kexts through recovery, handoff wasn't working any more.
I tried to remodify the io80211family.kext as done before without any luck. As last resort I tried the CAT application which said that everything was setup for continuity but still not working.
Handoff option doesn't display anymore in sys. pref. and the bluetooth settings went back to:
Bluetooth Low Energy: Yes
Handoff: No
Instant Hotspot: No

Does anyone has this problem aswel? I'm currently out of options after trying all the tutorials again...

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
I have a MBP 13' late 2011 with a new BT card CAX what was working perfectly thanks to to the tutorials (tnx guys). Today I updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 through the app store, wish I hadn't do it. It caused my wifi to go down and after reinstalling the original kexts through recovery, handoff wasn't working any more.
I tried to remodify the io80211family.kext as done before without any luck. As last resort I tried the CAT application which said that everything was setup for continuity but still not working.
Handoff option doesn't display anymore in sys. pref. and the bluetooth settings went back to:
Bluetooth Low Energy: Yes
Handoff: No
Instant Hotspot: No

Does anyone has this problem aswel? I'm currently out of options after trying all the tutorials again...

Try this:
  1. Go to /Users/yourusername
  2. Rename any KextsBackup or KextsBackupBeforePatch folder (e.g. KextsBackupBeforePatch_old)
  3. Run the latest version of CAT
  4. Uninstall. As CAT won't find a local backup, it will restore the original kexts from the OS X Recovery Image.
  5. Reboot
  6. Run CAT to activate Continuity again and make sure to follow the instructions displayed on the CAT screen ("after reboot, sign-out of iCloud " etc.)

mhafeez

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
It works!

I ordered the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX card from aliexpress.com for USD21, installed it into my late-2011 MBP13 with guidance from iFixit, activate it using Continuity Activation Tool and it works like a champ! Thnx guys!

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 3.png
    3.png
    82 KB · Views: 229
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 258

jhnn7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Netherlands
Try this:
  1. Go to /Users/yourusername
  2. Rename any KextsBackup or KextsBackupBeforePatch folder (e.g. KextsBackupBeforePatch_old)
  3. Run the latest version of CAT
  4. Uninstall. As CAT won't find a local backup, it will restore the original kexts from the OS X Recovery Image.
  5. Reboot
  6. Run CAT to activate Continuity again and make sure to follow the instructions displayed on the CAT screen ("after reboot, sign-out of iCloud " etc.)

Thank you for your reply! I tried your steps and after unistalling wifi was dead. I did the activation but after that the wifi was still dead and the bluetooth specs. were still yes-no-no. Any other idea what might being wrong?

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Thank you for your reply! I tried your steps and after unistalling wifi was dead. I did the activation but after that the wifi was still dead and the bluetooth specs. were still yes-no-no. Any other idea what might being wrong?

That's odd. Could you please confirm if the OS X Recovery Disk files were used during uninstallation? It should be displayed on the CAT screen whether a backup or the Recovery Disk is used.

Otherwise: do you remember seeing any errors during the uninstall process?

One thing you can try, before step 5, is to open Disk Utility and "Repair Disk Permissions".

jhnn7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Netherlands
That's odd. Could you please confirm if the OS X Recovery Disk files were used during uninstallation? It should be displayed on the CAT screen whether a backup or the Recovery Disk is used.

Otherwise: do you remember seeing any errors during the uninstall process?

One thing you can try, before step 5, is to open Disk Utility and "Repair Disk Permissions".

I redid the whole process. This is the CAT screen by uninstalling:

Schermafbeelding 2014-11-13 om 17.07.58.png

Before step 5 i repaired the permissions and after rebooting wifi was dead again as before.

afbeelding.png

Still ran the CAT app and install went as it has to. After last reboot still no wifi signal. These were de diagnostics from app:

Schermafbeelding 2014-11-13 om 17.34.22.png

I'm already loosing it...

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
I redid the whole process. This is the CAT screen by uninstalling:

View attachment 513440

Before step 5 i repaired the permissions and after rebooting wifi was dead again as before.

View attachment 513441

Still ran the CAT app and install went as it has to. After last reboot still no wifi signal. These were de diagnostics from app:

View attachment 513442

I'm already loosing it...

Well then, let's pull out heavier artillary.
Reboot, check the Wi-Fi status (it should be dead), open Console, Save a copy as, and send it to me via pm (or host it on wetransfer and post the link).

Also: open Terminal, type "sudo nvram -p" copy the output in a txt file, and send it to me.

Thanks

jhnn7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Netherlands
Well then, let's pull out heavier artillary.
Reboot, check the Wi-Fi status (it should be dead), open Console, Save a copy as, and send it to me via pm (or host it on wetransfer and post the link).

Also: open Terminal, type "sudo nvram -p" copy the output in a txt file, and send it to me.

Thanks

I set the files on dropbox. Here the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ozafn7g3s4oi7m/console.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2sfy1dkgbpxydv/terminal.rtf?dl=0

Thank you very much for taking a look at it!

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
I set the files on dropbox. Here the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ozafn7g3s4oi7m/console.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2sfy1dkgbpxydv/terminal.rtf?dl=0

Thank you very much for taking a look at it!

Your kexts seem corrupt. Maybe your recovery disk is from a previous OS X version which holds outdated, incompatible drivers.

Get a fresh copy from here. Unzip the folder in /Users/yourusername. Run the CAT uninstaller. Reboot. Re-apply CAT. Let me know if this works.

jhnn7

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Netherlands
Your kexts seem corrupt. Maybe your recovery disk is from a previous OS X version which holds outdated, incompatible drivers.

Get a fresh copy from here. Unzip the folder in /Users/yourusername. Run the CAT uninstaller. Reboot. Re-apply CAT. Let me know if this works.

Did as you said. After uninstalling, wifi went dead again and i couldn't re apply the CAT. These were the diagnostics:

Schermafbeelding 2014-11-13 om 19.49.51.png

I think it doesn't recognize the card now.

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Did as you said. After uninstalling, wifi went dead again and i couldn't re apply the CAT. These were the diagnostics:

View attachment 513473

I think it doesn't recognize the card now.
The problem is either with your card or your OS. Your system also has issues with its PATH : it can't find essential utilities apparently. I'd suggest you try an OS X Recovery by holding Command-R at startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.