Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
I installed a CAX card purchased on eBay from a user "ByAquila". The wifi worked instantly, but Bluetooth said "No bluetooth available", and SysProfile Bluetooth menu was blank. I'm assuming this means I have a bad card, as I checked the physical placement of the card, connections, and even went back to the factory card (works fine!). I've requested a refund.

I know this thread is long, and I've seen where other users have complained about my issue also, but I have yet to read about a fix.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
To update my last message, I installed a working CAX card. Everything appears to be working, but the capabilities of Handoff are severely limited. Hoping Apple releases more updates.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I can AirDrop what i am viewing in Safari on my iPhone 6 to my Mac and the browser opens the link like it should automatically. I don't seem to have any email hand off ability from iPhone to Mac or vice versa. I don't see any hand off icon on either screen. And I don't seem to be able to hand off Safari from Mac to iPhone.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
So on my Late 2011 17" Macbook pro I am able to use handoffs for calls and SMS messages. But in my General settings I dont see 'use handoff with this mac'
I have a bluetooth Chipset: 2070B0
and Wifi Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xD6)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.24)

Do I need to buy the upgraded card to get the other things working? (not that I use apple maps much, and my SMS and calls already work so there isnt much reason for me to work on this)

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
So on my Late 2011 17" Macbook pro I am able to use handoffs for calls and SMS messages. But in my General settings I dont see 'use handoff with this mac'
I have a bluetooth Chipset: 2070B0
and Wifi Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xD6)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.24)

Do I need to buy the upgraded card to get the other things working? (not that I use apple maps much, and my SMS and calls already work so there isnt much reason for me to work on this)
Have you tried the new continuity activation tool 2.0? See this post (click on link at beginning of first paragraph "...new update..." for the tool: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1829926/

Be sure to follow the instructions given after it does it's thing.

it works for me, see my post #109 pg 5 in that link.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Just took a look. And even though I have 3 usbs I am not willing to give one up, just so I can send webpages to myself. SMS/Phone work which are the important ones to me. And Airdrop works as long as I 'search for older mac' :p why that wouldnt be automatic i dont know.
The only thing left is the hotspot which I would mainly use with my 13" 2012 MBP Which seems to work OOTB. (and i can use the regular HS anyway)
Opening my laptop again to install a $49 card and messing with Kexts isnt worth sending apple maps to my phone.
Edit: Found one for $12, so what the hell. instant hotspot would be kinda nice.

Last edited:

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Today's OSX update (10.10.2) removes the Handoff option from General settingss.
Pleased to report the Activation tool fixes things again.

googleearth

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Just took a look. And even though I have 3 usbs I am not willing to give one up, just so I can send webpages to myself. SMS/Phone work which are the important ones to me. And Airdrop works as long as I 'search for older mac' :p why that wouldnt be automatic i dont know.
The only thing left is the hotspot which I would mainly use with my 13" 2012 MBP Which seems to work OOTB. (and i can use the regular HS anyway)
Opening my laptop again to install a $49 card and messing with Kexts isnt worth sending apple maps to my phone.
Edit: Found one for $12, so what the hell. instant hotspot would be kinda nice.

Where did you find one at that price?

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Where did you find one at that price?

Ebay - Seller confirmed its a CAX model with BT 4.0.
Worth a shot at that price!
AAAAANd its not right.
BCM94331PCIEBT4AX on the back. Oh well!

Confirmed another buyer says he has a couple of the 4CAX models available.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221605469055
Got it today.
went FLAWLESSLY
$20 later and BT4.0 is on my 17"MBP:D Handoff works too!

Last edited:

coleberto

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
Ebay - Seller confirmed its a CAX model with BT 4.0.
Worth a shot at that price!
AAAAANd its not right.
BCM94331PCIEBT4AX on the back. Oh well!

Confirmed another buyer says he has a couple of the 4CAX models available.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221605469055
Got it today.
went FLAWLESSLY
$20 later and BT4.0 is on my 17"MBP:D Handoff works too!

Seems like this model (607-7291) is the AX version, not CAX. Did he have other versions, or am I mistaken?

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Seems like this model (607-7291) is the AX version, not CAX. Did he have other versions, or am I mistaken?

Yup - I asked him to confirm that it was a CAX model and he confirmed he had 'a few' - I ordered one with the note to send the CAX model and that is what I received.

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Does anyone know if 10.10.3 beta works with these kexts?

It is broken :mad: I've upgraded all beta's successfully until 10.10.3.
No more Handoff ... Since it is technically possible to run it on a MacBook Air mid 2011, I hope somebody within this thread will find a solution so we can enjoy our devices a little bit longer than :apple: wants :D

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is broken :mad: I've upgraded all beta's successfully until 10.10.3.
No more Handoff ... Since it is technically possible to run it on a MacBook Air mid 2011, I hope somebody within this thread will find a solution so we can enjoy our devices a little bit longer than :apple: wants :D

In looking at posts elsewhere, it appears there may be an intermittent bug with the beta release affecting handoff.

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
In looking at posts elsewhere, it appears there may be an intermittent bug with the beta release affecting handoff.

I've tried for the first time the provided tool and this seems to work. Previous handling was always manual ... never had troubles anyway.

The Final result counts: it works again :D

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Just wanted to say that I'm ever so glad to have found this thread. Without it I never would've been able to get Continuity to work. I mainly wanted this feature so I could Air Drop between my MBP late 2011 and my iPhone 6+. Everything works perfect. Many thanks for posting this

whatRubicon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
Anyone having textmessage fowarding issues after ios 8.3 update. I cant get it to work for the life of me. air drop and continuity work fine but not sms. I have an iphone 5s on ios 8.3 everthing was working find untill i updated.. ugh..

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Anyone having textmessage fowarding issues after ios 8.3 update. I cant get it to work for the life of me. air drop and continuity work fine but not sms. I have an iphone 5s on ios 8.3 everthing was working find untill i updated.. ugh..

No probs here with my 6+ and late 2011 MBP w/ OS X 10.10.1.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Do you have wifi calling turned on? If so, SMS and calls won't work on Mac.

iamzaki

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Sacramento, CA
similar issues here

I can confirm that I am also having issues with my iPhone 5S (iOS 8.3) and my 15inch early-2011 MacBook Pro on Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update.

I'm not getting perfect SMS sync between Messages on my Mac and my iPhone.

Also, often messages sent from my computer get sent from my iCloud instead of my mobile number. Yes, I made sure in Preferences on my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, and my iPad that "send messages from phone number" and not email address.

I hope this gets fixed ASAP.

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
How long does the activation tool typically take? It's been running for well over 10 minutes with no end in sight.

I am running the tool on an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro running OS 10.10.3 and an upgraded Bluetooth card purchased from AliExpress.com. The compatibility chart shows OK for all criteria so I'm a bit confused as to why this is not working.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
How long does the activation tool typically take? It's been running for well over 10 minutes with no end in sight.

I am running the tool on an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro running OS 10.10.3 and an upgraded Bluetooth card purchased from AliExpress.com. The compatibility chart shows OK for all criteria so I'm a bit confused as to why this is not working.

Should only take about 10 minutes, if that. Are you sure you got the right card?

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Should only take about 10 minutes, if that. Are you sure you got the right card?

Yep. I have the correct card. As I mentioned, my system passed the compatibility check. I was able to get the tool working after disabling iCloud and rebooting a few times. Afterwards, I was able to successfully connect my Logitech MX Master via Bluetooth 4 (the mouse does not support older bluetooth specs).

I also paired a new bluetooth headset, although the range is absolutely horrible. If I move more than a few feet from my laptop, the signal breaks up. The onboard audio also stopped working. I see others are having similar problems which leads me to believe this tool still needs some work. I'd be happy to provide logs if someone can tell me which logs to grab.

- Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.