Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r4ndy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
This still works for El Capitan.
Instead of running sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" you need to run sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0" , then install the modified kext. You can reenable the new rootless feature by running sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" after you verified everything's working after a reboot.

Reactions: simon lefisch

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Instead of running sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" you need to run sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0" , then install the modified kext. You can reenable the new rootless feature by running sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" after you verified everything's working after a reboot.
Glad to hear that. Maybe the dev will make the app compatible with El Capitan.

My late 2011 MBP is still running great and I don't plan to upgrade it in the near future, so having this work with the newest OS would be awesome. I did donate and would gladly donate again for future development

oldebesr

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2015

Hey r4ndy, I tried to enter this command line into Terminal and I still cannot edit the kexts in System/Library/Extensions. Did you enter the cmd line exactly as you typed it? Overtime I run this Terminal requests my password then says nothing after I enter it. After rebooting, Im still unable to edit the kexts. Any ideas? Im super excited you were able to get this to work on El Capitan.

[MBA 2011, previously able to activate handoff with this method on Yosemite]

r4ndy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Hey r4ndy, I tried to enter this command line into Terminal and I still cannot edit the kexts in System/Library/Extensions. Did you enter the cmd line exactly as you typed it? Overtime I run this Terminal requests my password then says nothing after I enter it. After rebooting, Im still unable to edit the kexts. Any ideas? Im super excited you were able to get this to work on El Capitan.

[MBA 2011, previously able to activate handoff with this method on Yosemite]

Try to use the rootless command, reboot, remove the original kext and reboot again and verify that your wifi doesn't work anymore.
Now install the modified kext with kext drop and reboot again.
Verify that all the Continuity features are working and use the normal command to enable rootless again.

mogilner

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I also was able to get this to work with a Mac Book Pro early 2011. I had a hard time with OXED not finding things right so switched to Hex Fiend and it worked like a charm.

Not sure why OXED was not showing me the "Mac-" information.

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
I also was able to get this to work with a Mac Book Pro early 2011. I had a hard time with OXED not finding things right so switched to Hex Fiend and it worked like a charm.

Not sure why OXED was not showing me the "Mac-" information.

I've installed iHEX, which seems to work fine. Only within 'IOBluetoothFamily' I can't find MacBookAir4,1 etc. Does this means we only have to edit 'AirPortBrcm4360' with Mac-xxxxxxxxxx ?

m_d

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
I've installed iHEX, which seems to work fine. Only within 'IOBluetoothFamily' I can't find MacBookAir4,1 etc. Does this means we only have to edit 'AirPortBrcm4360' with Mac-xxxxxxxxxx ?
Thats right for Ei Capitan.

P.S. I have some troubles with big files transfer, but it may be from side of IPad with ios9 ))

Last edited:

steph_smm

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2015
Hi

I tried your patch
i have a mac mini MI-2011
with the activation app i have
NOT OK. IOBluetoothFamily.kext and/or IO80211Family.kext are missing or corrupt in /Library/Extensions
and in the 2 files i don't find a MAC-xxx
my os is capitan

thanks for your help

rwwr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
Tried this patch on my Mac mini 2011 + El Capitan Public Beta 2.

It worked after rebooting. But Magic Mouse and Apple BT keyboard started lagging and dropping connection.

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013

It seems like above mentioned procedure doesn't work anymore with beta 2 of El Capitan :-(
1) sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0"
2) reboot
3) editing AirPortBrcm4360 with my MAC-xxxxxxxx (first and last MAC-xxxxxxxx)
4) sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
This doesn't do anything anymore ...
normally it displays some lines of '/locked' ... .xxxx. kext 000XXX (or something like this).

Anybody an idea what could have changed within beta2?

Thanks.

m_d

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
It seems like above mentioned procedure doesn't work anymore with beta 2 of El Capitan :-(
2) reboot
3) editing AirPortBrcm4360 with my MAC-xxxxxxxx (first and last MAC-xxxxxxxx)
This doesn't do anything anymore ...
normally it displays some lines of '/locked' ... .xxxx. kext 000XXX (or something like this).

Anybody an idea what could have changed within beta2?

Thanks.

1)Did you deleted the original kext and changed than copy of it at desktop?
2)Did you saved the copy?
2)Did you installed your new kext (saved copy) with a Kext Drop?

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
1)Did you deleted the original kext and changed than copy of it at desktop?
2)Did you saved the copy?
2)Did you installed your new kext (saved copy) with a Kext Drop?

These are the steps I performed:
2) reboot
- after reboot -> copy original to desktop and delete on original location
3) editing AirPortBrcm4360 with my MAC-xxxxxxxx (first and last MAC-xxxxxxxx) on desktop
- saved edited kext. Start up Kext Drop and perform install (via drag&drop).

Were you successfully by performing the procedure manually? On beta1 I was successful, on beta2 I run into some problems. I think the first step isn't performed correctly. Any idea on how to check whether the first step was executed successfully?

m_d

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
If you could delete kext from original location - first step works.

P.S. I have some problems on public beta 2 too. Handoff doesn't works (with public beta 1 hanoff works only from macbook to ipad - no reverse). AirDrop works (only with small files - this problem comes from public beta 1).
MacBook Air mid 2011 (el capitan pb2) + iPad mini 2 (iOS 9 pb2)

Psps I reset ipad network settings, reenter to iCloud on ipad and mac for some times, check disk for errors and... - airdrop works with big files, handoff still doesn't works.

Last edited:

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
If you could delete kext from original location - first step works.

P.S. I have some problems on public beta 2 too. Handoff doesn't works (with public beta 1 hanoff works only from macbook to ipad - no reverse). AirDrop works (only with small files - this problem comes from public beta 1).
MacBook Air mid 2011 (el capitan pb2) + iPad mini 2 (iOS 9 pb2)

Psps I reset ipad network settings, reenter to iCloud on ipad and mac for some times, check disk for errors and... - airdrop works with big files, handoff still doesn't works.

Just installed public beta 3 - after editing and installing the kext, following error occurred:

MacBook-Air-wifi:~ user$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
/ locked; waiting for lock.
Lock acquired; proceeding.
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
AirPortBrcm4360.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

Hmmmm .... not very good news :-(

m_d

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Just installed public beta 3 - after editing and installing the kext, following error occurred:

MacBook-Air-wifi:~ user$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
/ locked; waiting for lock.
Lock acquired; proceeding.
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
AirPortBrcm4360.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

Hmmmm .... not very good news :-(

Confirm (((
Who knows, how to skip checking?

Last edited:

Spie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Confirm (((
Who knows, how to skip checking?

Although handoff isn't possible, I do have some possibilities, like sms forward from iPhone to Macbook and make phone calls with macbook via iPhone. The only thing that doesn't work is open an app on my iPhone and continue to use it on my macbook.

Sinamore

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2015
Hello
Handoff still doesn't work on El Capitan with with Public Beta 4. Airdrop OK but not stable. iCloud filtering ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.