Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I recently resurrected my 2012 Mac Mini, as it stands it has the following specs:

2012 Mac Mini Running MacOS Big Sur (DosDude Patched)
2.5Ghz Intel i5
16GB Memory (Max I believe)
500GB SSD (Main Drive)
1TB SSD (Data Drive)

I stopped using it since I got a work MacBook Pro, and I basically unplugged it and put it in a closet for a few years. I am switching jobs and decided to dust it off and start using it again and wanted to know what is the 'best' version of MacOS to run on it? I haven't done any research, but I imagine there is a DosDude patch to run up to MacOS Monterey (latest version). My goal is to have a decent performant mac as a secondary machine (and maybe a few home server tasks), since most likely I will be getting another MacBook for my new job.

Question:
What is the best version of MacOS to run on my 10-year old (wow!) Mac Mini so I can still use it as a functional secondary computer?

Thank you in advance to everyone for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

OCLP76

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2021
Sikhio, TH
I use Monterey on my 2012 mini with the help of OCLP(opencore patcher) and it runs perfect. OS version really depends on your needs; Big Sur can handle whatever you throw at it with your setup.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I have one used as a file and media server. Running Mojave on it. Don’t want to run a patched OS in that situation.

TP2

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
I am running the same 2012 MacMini for all my daily work. For me the issue is my software. My software works fine in X.12.6 (Sierra), but reportedly has problems starting with High Sierra. I see no reason to pay for new versions of MS Office and Adobe's pricing is just nutty. Firefox has an ESR version so I am up to date with that. Safari works fine too. Actually everything works just great. If it ain't broke, don't break it.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
I have a 2012 Mini and I run Catalina on it because I still want the latest security updates from Apple and latest Safari.

You could stop at Mojave if you need 32-bit apps and want iTunes instead of the horrendous Music app in Catalina.

I am buying the next Mini....M1 Pro or M2 or whatever they come out with.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Mojave (using dosdude patch).

One of Apple's best OS's, still runs 32 bit software, and it just "looks better" than their latest releases...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Mojave (using dosdude patch).

One of Apple's best OS's, still runs 32 bit software, and it just "looks better" than their latest releases...
A 2012 mini natively supports Catalina (And Mojave.) why is the patch needed?

Reactions: fricotin

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
chrfr:
"A 2012 mini natively supports Catalina (And Mojave.) why is the patch needed?"

Ah, ok, I didn't realize that.
Your correction is noted.

My 2012 Mini still runs 10.12 Low Sierra.
I'm gonna "leave it there" forever...

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Mojave.jpg

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Since you only have 16GB max memory I would not go past Catalina.

I dont know how people can run Monterey on a Mac mini that maxes out at 16GB??

I am almost sure Monterey uses 12GB just siting and idling . That means you only have a measly 4GB left to run programs

Maybe if everyone who told you what OS they run would also look at their activity monitor and tell you how much of their RAM out of the 16GB is being eaten up just idling???

I'm Positive BIG SUR and Monterey are memory hogs with Memory leak issues and you should stay away just for the memory leaks alone. they are 12GB in size. vs Catalina 6.5GB. 18.5GB installed for Catalina.

Catalina seems to be the best well rounded. Mojave will mean you can not run fairly current versions of software like Final Cut X and Logic X.

Reactions: macsound1

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Especially if you're not yet invested in loading the machine up with a bunch of software and documents, I'd recommend installing an SSD.
I currently have the same machine running Mojave and it runs great, but when it still had a 5400rpm spinning disk, it felt like the world was going to end, especially during a restart.
It'll also perform better if you do run out of ram and the OS swaps out to the drive.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021

I am almost sure Monterey uses 12GB just siting and idling . That means you only have a measly 4GB left to run programs

Maybe if everyone who told you what OS they run would also look at their activity monitor and tell you how much of their RAM out of the 16GB is being eaten up just idling???

I'm Positive BIG SUR and Monterey are memory hogs with Memory leak issues and you should stay away just for the memory leaks alone. they are 12GB in size. vs Catalina 6.5GB. 18.5GB installed for Catalina.

Catalina seems to be the best well rounded. Mojave will mean you can not run fairly current versions of software like Final Cut X and Logic X.
Schermafbeelding 2022-05-11 om 18.46.27.png

on my 2012 mini with multiple Chrome tabs opened. It's just not true. Install size also has nothing to do with RAM?? You don't install your OS to your RAM, you install it to your internal drive, which is in my case 2TB..

Reactions: fricotin

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It really depends on what apps you run.

The Mac mini 2012 is still a good computer even in 2022. To bad they stopped official support and is stuck at Catalina.

With 4-Core and 16GB RAM and the i7 model, any of the OS' work well with it. It has a good range from OS X Mountain Lion to macOS Catalina.

So at the end of the day, the apps determine the OS with Mac mini 2012.

For me: OS X Mountain Lion, Mojave or Catalina are my "go to" OS for Mac mini 2012.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

I'm not completely sure, but it sounds like you're actually serious. o_O

This is a 2014 Mac mini with 8 GB RAM, running Monterey with a bunch of applications and browser tabs loaded:

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.05.19 AM.png

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I went with high sierra is the first macOS that syncs iMessages with the cloud
I don’t care about the other features after that

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I went with high sierra is the first macOS that syncs iMessages with the cloud
I don’t care about the other features after that
This is of course only useful if you live in an iMessage country like the US and not a WhatsApp country like most of the world ;)

I don’t think I’ve ever opened the messages app lol

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You may also have issues with Safari not supporting certificates for certain websites or services that require login or authentication.
Other browsers like Chrome and Firefox are fine though.

ncoling

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
I use Monterey on my 2012 mini with the help of OCLP(opencore patcher) and it runs perfect. OS version really depends on your needs; Big Sur can handle whatever you throw at it with your setup.
Hi I have an early 2009 and I am trying to upgrade to Monterey my issue is when I try to run OpenCore 3.3 I get this error.
what version did you use ? the mini is currently on 10.6.8

Thank You
Neal Colingham

Last login: Wed May 25 19:31:59 on ttys000
/Applications/OpenCore-Patcher.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenCore-Patcher ; exit;
unbung:~ Ncoling$ /Applications/OpenCore-Patcher.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenCore-Patcher ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

[Process completed]

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
Hate to dredge up an old/dead thread, but if you were to use OpenCore to upgrade a 2012 Mac mini to either Big Sur or Monterey, what things would break? (Other than 32-bit software not running post-Mojave, which is a bit of a problem for me as my RAID Manager software is old and 32-bit.)

For example I know that OpenCore on a Mid 2010 Mac Pro would cause a FireWire iSight camera to stop working, and RAID Utility (in combination with an Apple RAID Card) would no longer work, and I'd have to boot into an alternate OS disk with Mojave to get them to function. (Which is why I've left my MacPro5,1 on Mojave.)

Are there similar "This hardware will break" issues with a Mac mini? I'm assuming FireWire devices would stop working but I just got rid of my Apogee Duet FireWire interface so that's not a problem anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.