Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
I'm wondering the same thing, but from what I've learned, the 2012 supports Metal and is fully compatible with Big Sur, even though Apple chose not to support it. Now that Catalina's support is over, I'm really considering moving to Big Sur for a year and then I will switch to Monterey.

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I've got the 2012 i5 but upgraded myself (16gb ram, 2tb SSD) and debating if I want to use OpenCore and try a newer OS. I don't actually use the Mac mini for anything other than as a device to do iOS device backups and Time Machine onto my NAS. I like that it's a cold backup once I've done what I do, I turn it off and put it back into the closet. I have newer backups on cloud/etc but this was more just for peace of mind hence the 2tb SSD.

Are there any other risks/issues I should be aware of if I were to try and upgrade the OS?

(note this is not my main Mac - I have a MacBook Pro 14" for my actual computing usage)

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
I've got the 2012 Mac mini i5 but upgraded it myself (16GB ram, 2TB SSD) and debating if I want to use OpenCore and try a newer OS. I don't actually use the Mac mini for anything other than as a device to do iOS device backups and Time Machine onto my NAS.
What NAS do you have? I just bought a Synology DS1621+ and am mounting it onto my 2012 Mac mini (Mojave) via NFSv3 and am having problems with things like chmod (on certain directories housed on the NAS) wedging and then I have to reboot the Mac mini to get out of it. :confused:

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Hmm… I have a late 2012 Mini currently running 10.13.6 (17G14042). It has 8 gigs of Ram and the 1TB fusion drive. I have occasionally tried to upgrade to 10.14, but the upgrade says I have the latest OD. Is there some trick to upgrade safely? Thanks…philip

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
A 2012 mini natively supports Catalina (And Mojave.) why is the patch needed?
The app store won't let you download the installer on a Mac Mini late 2012. Says it's damaged. So how can one get Mojave for the Mini? Can I download it on a later iMac and use that to install it on the Mini? If you search the app store for Mojave from the Mini you don't even see Mac OS Mojave. All very confusing.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Windows 10.

Why? It's still supported with security updates for another two more years (another six more years if you have access to Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC) and you're not reliant on hacks to make it work.

Otherwise, try to get up to Monterey using hacks. For legacy support purposes, Mojave has my vote for its stability and being the last macOS release compatible with 32-bit Intel binaries.

rdtguitar

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
There was a lot of great info in this thread which was a great help when updating my Mini late 2012 to Mojave, so I am hoping maybe there is some help for my issue below after the update. All is working well btw.
I have a 2004 G5 running OS10.4 on an HFS+ SSD and a Mac mini (late 2012) that I just upgraded from OS10.12.6 (Sierra) to 10.14.6 (Mojave). With the Mini at OS10.12 on an HFS+ SSD I was able to network the 2 computers, swapping files and even running MIDI from one DAW to another on one machine to the other via my router/ethernet.
I installed Mojave OS10.14.6 on the Mini and it automatically converted the Volume to AFSB.
My G5 no longer sees that drive so it can't be networked.
2 questions:
1- Is there a way to have an HFS+ system drive see/read an AFSB drive
2- Can Mojave be installed on an HFS+ drive? How? and will it impact the Mini's performance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.