Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jony Five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
I’m sending my 13” 2015 MacBook Pro in for a battery replacement. Does Apple Service Center swap out the entire top case on this model? (The top case including the top chasis, keyboard, trackpad, and battery)

The tech at the Apple Store I called said they absolutely replaced the entire top case when doing a battery replacement. But the Apple CSR I talked to when setting up the repair said they only swapped the battery. Can someone who’s had this repair done confirm?

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I’m sending my 13” 2015 MacBook Pro in for a battery replacement. Does Apple Service Center swap out the entire top case on this model? (The top case including the top chasis, keyboard, trackpad, and battery)

The tech at the Apple Store I called said they absolutely replaced the entire top case when doing a battery replacement. But the Apple CSR I talked to when setting up the repair said they only swapped the battery. Can someone who’s had this repair done confirm?

On my mid 2015 Macbook Pro (15"), top case/keyboard/trackpad/battery were all replaced, Apple repair did a great job, the thing is though, I think it depends on your specific model and how the battery is glued to the case, try a Google search, add "Reddit" before the search terms, you should find examples of battery repairs with your exact model.

Reactions: N69AP and Jony Five

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
How very timely - although on reflection, not a surprise - as last night my mid-2015 15” MBP reminded me that it needed a service for a replacement battery. It’s had 1515 cycles.

What are the pros & cons of this ‘investment’ ?

I was planning on replacing this trusted m/c with a spanking new 16” M1x MBP but that release date is always just over the horizon …

just how long should I hope the battery will keep going?

It’s like running the car when the gauge has just bounced off empty …

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
How very timely - although on reflection, not a surprise - as last night my mid-2015 15” MBP reminded me that it needed a service for a replacement battery. It’s had 1515 cycles.

I was planning on replacing this trusted m/c with a spanking new 16” M1x MBP but that release date is always just over the horizon …

My feeling is that the Retina models are probably good for another five or six years of use as a backup system once I get my M1X MacBook Pro. My son needed to borrow my 2014 because his work laptop has bulging battery and they are going to get him a 16 Intel (they require Intel for their environment). I am using my 2015 in the meantime. I always have a backup desktop and a backup laptop and the 2015 is one of the nicer ones. I had considered a 2019 16 but there have been too many reports of thermal issues.

mdekker

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2016
Two years ago I had my 13" 2015 MBP serviced because of the screen coating problem. While servicing they noticed the battery was swollen a bit and they asked me if it was okay to replace the battery. On the note it said they had replaced the entire top case to do so. So when it came back after service I think all that was original was the SSD and the bottom plate :D

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Two years ago I had my 13" 2015 MBP serviced because of the screen coating problem. While servicing they noticed the battery was swollen a bit and they asked me if it was okay to replace the battery. On the note it said they had replaced the entire top case to do so. So when it came back after service I think all that was original was the SSD and the bottom plate :D

It feels like a new computer as your hands interface with the top case.

Reactions: Rashy

mdekker

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2016
It feels like a new computer as your hands interface with the top case.
Indeed. Or they did a very good job cleaning the whole thing and robbing me (had to pay for the battery replacement, screen issue was solved via a service program) but it felt brand new. Very good service.

mdekker

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2016
Indeed. Or they did a very good job cleaning the whole thing and robbing me (had to pay for the battery replacement, screen issue was solved via a service program) but it felt brand new. Very good service.
Just found the Apple invoice: Top Case w/Battery, NLD

Reactions: rgarjr

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Did you send it in for battery replacement yet?
Just do it, and let us know what you get back...

JonnyBMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012

Apple does not allow techs to remove the battery from the case due to safety concerns. So, you will get everything replaced.

Then again, a Macsales battery is 1/2 the price and is a reasonably easy DIY with the "thread" method on the retina:

Last edited:

Jony Five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
OP:

Did you send it in for battery replacement yet?
Just do it, and let us know what you get back...
I did. They emailed me and said the mainboard showed signs of liquid damage. Don’t remember spilling anything on it and the machine was in perfect working order other than the deteriorated battery.

Anyway, they wouldn’t swap the battery unless I paid $1000 for a logic board replacement. So I’m back at square one ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Anyway, they wouldn’t swap the battery unless I paid $1000 for a logic board replacement"

I reckon these are your choices:
1. Pay the $1,000 for a board replacement (I WOULD NOT DO THIS)
2. If the Mac still boots and runs with the existing battery, keep using it until it no longer boots.
3. Buy a 3rd-party battery and try replacing it yourself
4. If "none of the above" suit you, start shopping for a replacement. Be aware that new MacBook Pro's are due out within the next 4-8 weeks.

Reactions: Jony Five

Jony Five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Yup, didn’t even consider it. They did say the battery showed no signs of swelling, thankfully.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I did. They emailed me and said the mainboard showed signs of liquid damage. Don’t remember spilling anything on it and the machine was in perfect working order other than the deteriorated battery.

Anyway, they wouldn’t swap the battery unless I paid $1000 for a logic board replacement. So I’m back at square one 😭

Send it to Rossman Repair, check his Youtube channel, plenty of instances of his company being able to repair a logic board that Apple Repair stated was dead and needed to be replaced.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
"Anyway, they wouldn’t swap the battery unless I paid $1000 for a logic board replacement"

I reckon these are your choices:
1. Pay the $1,000 for a board replacement (I WOULD NOT DO THIS)
2. If the Mac still boots and runs with the existing battery, keep using it until it no longer boots.
3. Buy a 3rd-party battery and try replacing it yourself
4. If "none of the above" suit you, start shopping for a replacement. Be aware that new MacBook Pro's are due out within the next 4-8 weeks.
For the OP:
1. I agree. Don't do this as it is too expensive for the model of MBP.

2. Definitely viable and might be a good if you are holding out for a new model that will release sometime soon?

3. If you plan to use the MBP for a long time, then it might be worth it to replace the battery yourself (or have it replaced at a repair shop). Or you want to keep it as a backup machine.

Just watch out for some of those 3rd party batteries. I bought a 3rd party battery for a 2015 15" MBP and after I installed it the battery would work fine until it got to about 40% or so and then would suddenly drop down to like 5% or so and shut off soon after. Luckily I was able to return the battery for a refund.
After I found a genuine OEM battery and installed it in the MBP. It worked perfectly fine and I didn't have any problems with it.

4. If you want a new one and can hold out for awhile, then this might be a good strategy. The M1 models also perform well and are also worth looking into if you can find a good deal on one.

taxi_driver

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
was unaware the casing was replaced with the battery service. I've been lagging on doing this but might add some perceptive life to my 2015 MBP

Jony Five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
How difficult would a top case swap be? Is this beyond the abilities of someone who is not a professional?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"How difficult would a top case swap be? Is this beyond the abilities of someone who is not a professional?"

This is one of those jobs where if you have to ask that question, then you shouldn't be attempting it... :cool:

Reactions: pshufd

JonnyBMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012

Anyway, they wouldn’t swap the battery unless I paid $1000 for a logic board replacement. So I’m back at square one ?
Seek out an independent Mac servicer in your area. They likely won't give you this static. Apple just looks at the moisture indicators that can even be set off by high humidity, as if they were put there by God. A real tech will look at the components for this kind of damage.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland

pl excuse me 'replying' to myself .. but this is a progress report ;)

I'm now the happy owner of a 16" MBP and so have booked to have the battery replaced on this mid-2015 15” MBP before I cascade it to a daughter.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
pl excuse me 'replying' to myself .. but this is a progress report ;)

I'm now the happy owner of a 16" MBP and so have booked to have the battery replaced on this mid-2015 15” MBP before I cascade it to a daughter.

My son is borrowing my 2014 and my wife wants a laptop and she will probably get my 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.