Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
I still have my 2015 15" MBP, which also got its battery (which includes the whole topcase) + screen (staingate) replaced at the end of 2019 for free. Thus, it still looks like new, basically only the logicboard is original. I hope this will boost its resale value a tiny bit.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I still have my 2015 15" MBP, which also got its battery (which includes the whole topcase) + screen (staingate) replaced at the end of 2019 for free. Thus, it still looks like new, basically only the logicboard is original. I hope this will boost its resale value a tiny bit.
What chance would I have of having my mid-2015 15" replaced for free?

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
For the screen, zero, since that replacement program was limited to 4 years and has expired.
For the battery, only if it falls under the "defective charge" with the increased fire hazard.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
For the screen, zero, since that replacement program was limited to 4 years and has expired.
For the battery, only if it falls under the "defective charge" with the increased fire hazard.

Ta. Like you I've already had the screen replaced.
Not sure I've a fire hazard.

So I should be prepared to fork out £199?

KeniLF

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2020
Hi Jony Five

I realize that your MBP might not meet this criteria and am writing this in case you might not have seen/received this notice.

I got this in late 2019 and had conflicts so couldn't immediately get it replaced, then COVID hit, etc. Anyhow, when I did later poke around to get the replacement process started, zero tech support folks seemed to have any idea about this recall.

If you think your MBP was from around this time, it might be worth it to dig around and see if yours has had a battery recall, as well,

Here's the link to the recall page: https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

F4E8C09A-529F-4CD1-9E86-1400236655CD.png

Reactions: Rashy

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Thanks, I vaguely recall that. I’ll check back in my email ‘late 2019’
You don't have to check your email.
On the link that KeniLF posted above:
https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall
You can just enter in your serial number and it will let you know if your 15" 2015 MBP is eligible or not.
If it is eligible then you just take your MBP to the Apple Store (or mail it in) and they will replace the topcase/battery/trackpad for free.

Reactions: KeniLF

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Thanks, my serial number is not eligible.

TBH, I don't resent paying the £199 as I've had good use of the battery @ 1562 cycles and should be pleased that it was not a fire risk. Coconut declares the battery as Fair but I'm passing this on to a daughter and want the thing to last.

Reactions: KeniLF

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Just to report in about a successful replacement of battery - and a fresh keyboard - for my mid-2015 MBP 15inch laptop.

I'm almost reluctant to pass it on to daughter even though I now have the new M1max 16inch MBP ;)

Reactions: Jony Five

Jony Five

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2021
Congrats, StrollerEd! You swapped them yourself?

As for me, I opened the case to replace the keyboard and saw that the battery has dangerously swollen. This is disappointing since I asked Apple if the battery was swelling before they shipped it back to me unrepaired and they said no.

I’m thinking of doing a top case replacement now. I just need to find a good candidate on eBay. Wish me luck lol

zewsekus

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2020
Hey guys!
My battery is died. Apple support offered me to replace top case for ~200$. So I have a question if I have samsung ssd instead of the original drive in my laptop will they change it too or just keep it? I don’t want to get an original 128gb ssd instead of 250gb samsung evo.

Last edited:

lawnornament

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
losAngeles
In 2022, the answer is: Maybe.

I took in two Mid 2015 MacBook Pros for new batteries in October 2022. This was through an Apple store in Bethesda MD. The machines were sent by Apple to Houston Texas for service. Both were initially given a $199 estimate but then this was brought up to $322 per machine for each of the two machines. On one machine, they replaced the speakers as well (the machine that received a new top case), the other machine received a "new IO board". The small print says that these may be remanufactured parts. Apple's own billing said that the top cases on both machines were replaced but the repair shop invoice from Houston, which was included in the repair return bags, matches my observation that on one of the two machines they were able to replace the battery without replacing the slightly scratched top case. They still charge the $199+ whether or not they also replace the top case. On both machines, the speakers and IO boards seemed to be working fine before the repair. I wonder what other's experiences are with cost when trying to get proper Apple batteries in 2022 on older machines.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Funny i found this thread.

I remember getting an email from Apple in regards to the recall. I ended up paying Apple $200 to replace this in fall of 2020 since I waited too long for the recall (Apple doesnt give out loaners, and i use my computer everyday for work).

Fast forward to today. My MBP has a swollen battery and Apple says they only offer a 90 day warranty on work. May have to get another battery and pay again. Talked with Apple support and they won't offer any help

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Fast forward to today. My MBP has a swollen battery and Apple says they only offer a 90 day warranty on work. May have to get another battery and pay again."

If it's out-of-warranty, then $199 is still a reasonably good deal.
A 90-day warranty is what one would expect for replacement parts.

Something I have to ask:
Are you one of those guys who "leaves the charger plugged in all the time" ...?

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
"Fast forward to today. My MBP has a swollen battery and Apple says they only offer a 90 day warranty on work. May have to get another battery and pay again."

If it's out-of-warranty, then $199 is still a reasonably good deal.
A 90-day warranty is what one would expect for replacement parts.

Something I have to ask:
Are you one of those guys who "leaves the charger plugged in all the time" ...?

I am one of those people who always had the charger plugged in, after replacing the tanked battery through the Apple program, no longer, everyday I let the battery run down to like thirty percent, then put the plug in, although admittedly I usually leave it in for the rest of the day, is that good enough, or once you reach 100 percent again, should you immediately go back to the battery?

The thing is a mid 2015 Macbook Pro does not last long on the battery, maybe 4 hours, not certain.

kyles201515

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Has anyone done this in 2023?

My 2015 15" MBP will sometimes shut off out shortly after logging in and when you try to power it back on, it'll show a low battery symbol. Once you plug it back in you can restart it with just about any amount of battery remaining. It's happened a few times over the last two or three years but I typically just plug it in before I log into my side of things now. This time it showed 80% battery life once I turned it back on but it's even showed 98% once. It seems fine once you're logged in. The battery only shows 500 some cycles but "service is recommended." I'm curious if replacing bringing it in for this service is all that's needed. It also could use a speaker replacement, so might as well get that done at the same time.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Has anyone done this in 2023?

My 2015 15" MBP will sometimes shut off out shortly after logging in and when you try to power it back on, it'll show a low battery symbol. Once you plug it back in you can restart it with just about any amount of battery remaining. It's happened a few times over the last two or three years but I typically just plug it in before I log into my side of things now. This time it showed 80% battery life once I turned it back on but it's even showed 98% once. It seems fine once you're logged in. The battery only shows 500 some cycles but "service is recommended." I'm curious if replacing bringing it in for this service is all that's needed. It also could use a speaker replacement, so might as well get that done at the same time.

I don't think that Apple will repair the 2015 models anymore. I don't think that they have the kits to do the repairs anymore.

We went to an independent shop this past spring and they just replaced the battery and all is good.

Reactions: kyles201515
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.