Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trader05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if owners of a 2016 or 2017 Honda Accord have issues with CarPlay on these forums? Currently using an 11 Pro and a 2017 Honda Accord.

It is wired carplay and since I bought it the past year, it's was never really stable. Before 14.4 it would kind of soft crash and reboot the app on its own and continue off from where it was. Now with 14.4 it sometimes freezes the whole head unit or will say no device detected. The only way to reboot it is to turn the car off and on. This usually happens on longer trips, if I do about 5-10 minutes its usually fine, but around 10+ minutes it usually crashes randomly. I usually notice because the screen starts getting pixelated/garbled.

I tried different cable and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro. Same issue. I contacted Honda and there is no new software update for my car; these years don't have OTA updates :/. When I called Apple they said they were having some issues and I sent logs to a senior engineer. They will be getting back to me within a week. Along further research I found the DriveAccord forums and there are people with the same issue.

Just reaching out to see other's experiences and or fixes if any! Any info highly appreciated! Thank you!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Two of my cars have occasional CarPlay bugs -- clearly the fault of the cars' head units and not Apple's fault.

My Chevy sometimes doesn't want to recognize that the iPhone was plugged in. Sometimes the CarPlay icon on the car's display pops up right away. Sometimes it takes a minute or two. And sometimes it simply never happens and I must plug and unplug repeatedly. Same behavior in this car out of my prior iPhone X, my current iPhone 11 Pro, my wife's 11 Pro and my daughter's iPhone 11 (non-Pro). I've checked several times with my dealer and with Chevy directly and there's been no updates. Just gotta live with it.

My Subaru (where my iPhone is recognized instantly, FYI), had an occasional bug where the radio volume would momentarily get really loud after quieting to allow Siri to speak a response or give a traffic/navigation direction. Subaru recently posted an update for the car's software that reportedly fixes this (also listed several fixes for Android Auto as well, to be fair). I've applied it to the car -- hurray for Subaru's update-over-wifi -- but since it only happens occasionally, I haven't been able to verify that the weird bug has been fixed.

So while I'm not suggesting Apple's software is perfect, I believe that many cars are running buggy software as well.

Reactions: Trader05

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Likewise, I had a lot of issues with intermittent connectivity issues with my 2020 Ford Escape Titanium (SYNC 3)... all of those issues were ultimately fixed with a firmware update for the head unit. I also agree that Apple's code is not perfect, but it is far better and more bug-free than that of many of the automakers.

Last edited:

recursivegeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
We are experiencing the same issue with our 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid, getting worse year by year. CarPlay is now unusable as it starts crashing within 5-10 minutes. Our Ford F150 with Syncfusion works much better (with only infrequent issues). They also provide firmware updates. This is frustrating and unacceptable for what could otherwise be viewed as a good product. The dealership is no help and doesn't appear to be an advocate for the owner. We are trying to figure out how to get results and resolve.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Glad I'm not alone. Wired CarPlay on my 2021 Malibu works but wireless does not. Dealer is replacing the module that should solve this. Maybe.....

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm not having issues with my Subaru.
i read on another forum that Honda has issued a software release that fixes some CarPlay issues. I don't know what models it is for etc. but you might want to check with Honda

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've got a new car with CarPlay and was getting disconnected on two different phones. Hopefully, cleaning the iphone ports has fixed it…drove nearly 3 hours with no issues yesterday.

I hadn't had any connection issues with my iPhone anywhere until this car.

I was surprised how much lint came out from cleaning. I used one of these to clean it:

IMG_3808.JPG

One end is pointy and the other is ribbed…for your pleasure…and good iPhone port cleaning.

Anyway, it's a first fix to try if you haven't already.

I'm expecting that in time my CarPlay will start wonking out for software reasons, also.

MikeCheck

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2006
I have the same issues with my 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid. It is definitely getting worse but I think it’s more on Honda’s poor implementation. I had an issue about two years ago where opening up a camera in HomeKit would lock up the infotainment system. It probably has to do with Honda not updating their system though since I think it runs on Android Lollipop there may not be much they are willing to do to update that.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
CarPlay on our 2018 Subaru is actually pretty good but there are issues with it that cause occasional erratic behaviour of various kinds. Although not the only cause of problems, connectivity is really important for CarPlay and any dirt or lint in the iPhone port (as mentioned above) can wreak havoc. Also, beware of knock-off Lighting connectors as these are notoriously flakey. Apple connectors are ridiculously expensive but can be worth the extra cost because they actually work properly. A cheap connector that works fine for charging the phone might not work properly or at all for CarPlay.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if owners of a 2016 or 2017 Honda Accord have issues with CarPlay on these forums? Currently using an 11 Pro and a 2017 Honda Accord.

It is wired carplay and since I bought it the past year, it's was never really stable. Before 14.4 it would kind of soft crash and reboot the app on its own and continue off from where it was. Now with 14.4 it sometimes freezes the whole head unit or will say no device detected. The only way to reboot it is to turn the car off and on. This usually happens on longer trips, if I do about 5-10 minutes its usually fine, but around 10+ minutes it usually crashes randomly. I usually notice because the screen starts getting pixelated/garbled.

I tried different cable and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro. Same issue. I contacted Honda and there is no new software update for my car; these years don't have OTA updates :/. When I called Apple they said they were having some issues and I sent logs to a senior engineer. They will be getting back to me within a week. Along further research I found the DriveAccord forums and there are people with the same issue.

Just reaching out to see other's experiences and or fixes if any! Any info highly appreciated! Thank you!

Nope, no fixes so far.

I have a 2017 Accord Touring and have been having this exact issue; whole systems crashes and I end up with both screens blacking out while driving. This has been happening since I upgraded to iOS13 back when I had an iPhone X. I have tried many things but it kept getting worse with each iOS upgrades. It has also gotten worse with new iPhones I had. Currently on iPhone 12 Pro.

I have tried these so far;
  • Bought all kind of cables - short cables, long cables, Apple branded or non-Apple branded
  • Factory reset the media unit as well as DFU reset on multiple iPhones I had so far
  • Contacted multiple dealers and online resources for any available FW update for the head unit but there was none
  • Contacted Apple and provided log files for Apple senior engineers. They did not follow up
  • I hacked my head unit using paid solution and had root access to it. I have updated all certificates of the android version it uses (i don't know why I did this) and it did not work
  • I considered trading in my Accord for another brand (I will not buy any other Honda just for this reason) however it was going to cost me a lot of money so I kept the car, especially considering the fact that mechanically it is still reliable.
  • I gave up. However, I still hated using phone holder in the car for navigation
  • I decided to try Android Auto so bought a cheap Motorola Android Phone (Motorola - Moto E). I also signed up to Visible cellular service ($25 inc. taxes for unlimited data + unlimited hotspot) for this phone.

I have been using this phone on my car as Android Auto since February 2, 2021 on my long commute daily and also have been to multiple road trips. Well, it has never ever failed once. It has never frozen the screen or the whole head unit, not even once (unbelievable). Surprisingly, it has been working rock stable since that date. This phone stays in my car permanently and I never unplug it.

I went one step further and have done some modification on this android phone. Here's what I did so far;
    • Rooted the phone
    • Installed battery charge limiter and now the phone keeps the SOC between 45% and %50. This is to keep the battery healthy and to prevent battery swelling since it will not stay fully charged all the time now
    • Installed automation app on it. It does the following automations;
      • When car is stopped (thus charging is stopped), the phone turns on Airplane mode and starts battery saver
      • When car is started (thus charging is started), the phone turns off Airplane mode, battery saver mode and turns on "Hotspot" so our child can connect his iPad to the hotspot (it does connect to this specific hotspot automatically). Hotspot is stopped when car is stopped.
      • When in-car temperature gets hot while parking and the battery temperature gets up to around 46 Celsius, the automations sends an email to me and shuts the phone down completely.
This has been my journey with this car so far. Next vehicle I will be buying will most probably be an EV and a high chance it will be a Tesla (Model 3), when I can finally be able afford it :) Until that happens, I will continue this way.

Last edited:

Trader05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks for the info! I actually bought a cheap android phone to test it out...waiting for it to come in. ?

Dirtywater

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
2016 Accord EX-L here. Had problems start up about a year in. Both my old 7+ and my 12 Pro, both using Apple’s lightning cable. Has become so bad that it either freezes and makes the entire media system in the car shut down until I restart the car, or freezes and does a self restart cycle on its own.

It‘s so laughably bad I just had to stop using it all together. Even had to unpair the Bluetooth to just sever this utter mess. Honda just plays dumb and really just wants to wash their hands of the entire mess.

singletonmel

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 Honda Accord and I have been having the same issues. My Apple CarPlay is no longer working with my car. I have tried to do a system update, but this didn't help. I too have not gotten anywhere with Honda or with Apple.

sk1ski1

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
I'm having the same issue with CarPlay and all map apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze) after 20-30 minutes. I've had my car since it was new back in 2016 and I have never had an issue with CarPlay until iOS14.

Last edited:

recursivegeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
Both my wife and my iPhones are virtually unusable with Apple CarPlay on the 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid now. The latest iOS 14.7.1 update is even worse. Honda has a flawed product. Honda has a relationship with Apple for their car. Not us. So no passing the buck with us back to Apple. Our other vehicle works great. It has been a poor experience and a poor reflection of their product.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
my 2017 Honda Civic had horrendous CarPlay issues when I bought it and they couldn't do anything to fix it. then I iOS 11 came out and it worked much better and from iOS12 til now I've really had no issues at all. I even got a wireless CarPlay adapter and that works great too.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I have a 2018 Honda Accord and CarPlay works perfectly fine with my iOS 15 iPhone 12 Pro Max and my wife's iOS 14 iPhone 12 Pro Max. Before accord, I had 2016 Honda Civic and I haven't had any issues with CarPlay!

icentrics

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2021
I figured it out! 2017 Accord EXL same problems as mentioned above. I use google maps via CarPlay and it is causing the system to crash after a few minutes randomly EVERY TIME. can't stand apple maps but Carplay works beautifully, while running Spotify or podcasts or whatever app I've tested. My problem was Google Maps.

icentrics

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2021
Hello everyone,

I own 2017 accord ex-l, same problem as described. Google Maps App was crashing Carplay. haven't had any problems while using Apple Maps(which is my least favorite). but no crashes.

Ahmedk

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
Chicago, IL
Has anyone tried and seen any differences with iOS 15 installed? I was trying to fix the issue in my 17 Honda Accord EX and recently broke my leg, so currently unable to test the theory until the next doctors appointment.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Has anyone tried and seen any differences with iOS 15 installed? I was trying to fix the issue in my 17 Honda Accord EX and recently broke my leg, so currently unable to test the theory until the next doctors appointment.

hope you feel better! working fine in my 2018 Accord on my 12 Pro max and 13 Pro max both on iOS 15.1!

Reactions: Ahmedk

spirittalk

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2021
I have the same problem with my 2017 Honda Accord EX. Clearly a defect. Freezes up regularly. Started happening after about two years of ownership. Only way to get it to come back up is to shut the car off and restart. Highly inconvenient. I have looked into after market stereos and there are none that fit. This is very disappointing. Shame on Honda for not fixing this issue.

LockhartTx2002

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
I took my 2017 Honda Accord EX-L to the dealership for them to diagnose why my CarPlay constantly freezes. They gave me a loander car for a few days(2021 Honda Insight Hybrid) Here’s the text exchange…

Attachments

• D60F20F1-C258-4C0A-89C8-AD700F812851.jpeg
    D60F20F1-C258-4C0A-89C8-AD700F812851.jpeg
    677 KB · Views: 820
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.