Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HummingHonda

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2022
Anyone with this CarPlay issue where your screen freezing up on the 2017 Honda Accord, please contact American Honda in Torrence, CA and make a complaint. Tell them it makes for hazardous driving and is a Honda liability. Honda is selling something that is supposed to work with the Apple phones. Period. I called myself and have asked for a recall review, and should hear back within 2 days. If this is recalled, they will drop in the needed software update. The more people who call in, the better. Make a call. Be a part of the solution. We need to make our voices heard!
(800)999-1009 American Honda Motor Co.

Reactions: FreeWoRLD83

spirittalk

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2021
I brought the Car Play freezing issue of my 2017 Accord to my Honda dealership several times. They told me there is nothing they can do. I called Honda of America and they told me to take it to the dealership. I looked into an aftermarket replacement and there is none that will fit ?

Bobsmithok

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2022
I recently found out after testing multiple cables I tried out a wireless adapter for apple CarPlay and ever since I have not had a single issue. Works like it should now, Anybody else who was experiencing this should try it out.

Cosmicblip

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Oakland, CA
I recently found out after testing multiple cables I tried out a wireless adapter for apple CarPlay and ever since I have not had a single issue. Works like it should now, Anybody else who was experiencing this should try it out.
Unfortunately for me, this did not help. I still have the same CarPlay issues with a wireless adaptor.

Bobsmithok

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2022
Unfortunately for me, this did not help. I still have the same CarPlay issues with a wireless adaptor.
You’re using the wrong adapter, I found that the one which supports both android and apple CarPlay works flawlessly. Just took a 6 hour road trip earlier and not once did it freeze up on me

Cosmicblip

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Oakland, CA
You’re using the wrong adapter, I found that the one which supports both android and apple CarPlay works flawlessly. Just took a 6 hour road trip earlier and not once did it freeze up on me
Any chance you can share the brand and model details of this adaptor?

MargaL

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Has anyone figured out a solution for this issue? CarPlay in my 2017 Accord Hybrid is literally useless, if not dangerous to use...
I just switched from using Android for over 15 years... I've been using many Android phones over the past 5 years and 100k miles with this car without any issues... Most recently I even got the "coolwalk" update and it was rock solid.
When I switched to iPhone 14 pro about two weeks ago it didn't even cross my mind that I would have this kind of issues. After all Apple products are known to be more reliable than Google's. I understand that it's Honda's fault but they seem to not give a damn about 5 or 6 year old cars... Now, that my car is way past its warranty I'm stuck with it. My dealer is only interested in selling me a new car... What a crap-shoot...

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Has anyone figured out a solution for this issue? CarPlay in my 2017 Accord Hybrid is literally useless, if not dangerous to use...
I just switched from using Android for over 15 years... I've been using many Android phones over the past 5 years and 100k miles with this car without any issues... Most recently I even got the "coolwalk" update and it was rock solid.
When I switched to iPhone 14 pro about two weeks ago it didn't even cross my mind that I would have this kind of issues. After all Apple products are known to be more reliable than Google's. I understand that it's Honda's fault but they seem to not give a damn about 5 or 6 year old cars... Now, that my car is way past its warranty I'm stuck with it. My dealer is only interested in selling me a new car... What a crap-shoot...
Unless there is an update to your car's entertainment unit that includes CarPlay you are probably stuck with the 2017 level of CarPlay which, on all cars at the time, wasn't very good. Even with an update, it will be wired CarPlay which is severely handicapped compared to wireless. You may find just using Bluetooth to be a better experience.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I got my 2017 civic when it was new and CarPlay was garbage with OS10. Virtually unusable. i blamed Honda but they wouldn’t do anything about it…. iOS 11 came out and all my problems were solved. No issues since and now I use a carplay2air adapter for wireless CarPlay too with no probs

MargaL

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Unless there is an update to your car's entertainment unit that includes CarPlay you are probably stuck with the 2017 level of CarPlay which, on all cars at the time, wasn't very good. Even with an update, it will be wired CarPlay which is severely handicapped compared to wireless. You may find just using Bluetooth to be a better experience.
What do you mean by wired CarPlay being handicapped compared to wireless?
I would imagine that the experience is exactly the same except from the need of plugging the wire...

I don't mind getting a wireless dongle and using wireless CarPlay if it would solve the problem, but I am not really convinced it would.

My theory is that it's Honda's ancient GPU or CPU is the issue. I say that because what I noticed is that with Waze or Google Maps I experience issues much sooner than Apple Maps or not using navigation at all. Apple Maps is OK for navigating but I like Waze because of it's features. The difference is how many details are displayed on the screen. I feel like the more details, the faster it crashes.
With that in mind, I am not sure if getting a wireless dongle would solve the issue.

Also, I forgot to mention that exactly same issues come up with my wife's iPhone, so it's definitely Honda's fault...

MargaL

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
I got my 2017 civic when it was new and CarPlay was garbage with OS10. Virtually unusable. i blamed Honda but they wouldn’t do anything about it…. iOS 11 came out and all my problems were solved. No issues since and now I use a carplay2air adapter for wireless CarPlay too with no probs

I wonder if other adapters would solve my issue... Carplay2air is over 2x more expensive than other options on Amazon.
Maybe I'll give it a go...
Thanks.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I would imagine that the experience is exactly the same except from the need of plugging the wire...

I don't mind getting a wireless dongle and using wireless CarPlay if it would solve the problem, but I am not really convinced it would.

My theory is that it's Honda's ancient GPU or CPU is the issue. I say that because what I noticed is that with Waze or Google Maps I experience issues much sooner than Apple Maps or not using navigation at all. Apple Maps is OK for navigating but I like Waze because of it's features. The difference is how many details are displayed on the screen. I feel like the more details, the faster it crashes.
With that in mind, I am not sure if getting a wireless dongle would solve the issue.

Also, I forgot to mention that exactly same issues come up with my wife's iPhone, so it's definitely Honda's fault...
just seems odd this is plaguing you in 2023. For me it only happened in 2017. I made a big srtink about it at the time and had multiple YouTube videos of my car completely spazzing out while trying to run CarPlay. The whole system would crash and reset. Then with iOs11 it was just magically fixed. Nothing changed on Hondas part. They were useless. But CarPlay runs great for me now. And my friend has a new Honda and i can’t see hers working any different despite my dated in car hardware.

MargaL

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
just seems odd this is plaguing you in 2023. For me it only happened in 2017. I made a big srtink about it at the time and had multiple YouTube videos of my car completely spazzing out while trying to run CarPlay. The whole system would crash and reset. Then with iOs11 it was just magically fixed. Nothing changed on Hondas part. They were useless. But CarPlay runs great for me now. And my friend has a new Honda and i can’t see hers working any different despite my dated in car hardware.
Ever since I got this car new back in 2017 I used Android phones. No issues whatsoever.
My wife was using iPhone and told me that it has issues but I chalked it up to her phone having some issues and besides our car is driven by me 99% of the time using my phone.
So the CarPlay issues might have been there from day one, for all I know. I just never had them because I was using Android until about two weeks ago. This car integration is, hands down, the biggest issue I am having with the transition from Google to Apple...

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021

I'm not suggesting that a wireless dongle would solve your problems. Much more likely that it would just make them worse. And yes, I agree, the problems are almost certainly with the Honda implementation. When I say wired CarPlay was handicapped I mean the whole wireless CarPlay experience is just so much of an improvement over the older wired versions that there's really no comparison. Just get in the car with your iPhone in your pocket and CarPlay is there. No fussing with a worn out glitchy charge cord, trying to find a place to put your phone and screwing around with the CarPlay UI trying to get it to work. What's more, the system reliability and functionality have greatly improved over the last five years. Most of the bugs have been fixed making the system a pleasure to use instead of a pain in the ass. Of course, this all depends on updated software in the car as well as on the iPhone. Without that, you are stuck with the problems and, as I said, might be better off with just Bluetooth connectivity. Your experience may have been better than mine but I speak with experience from having wired CarPlay in a 2017 BMW (almost unusable), a 2018 Subaru (improved but still bad) and now wireless CarPlay in a 2022 F-150 which works pretty much perfectly.

Reactions: Trader05

Scubajohnsonben

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
Hi everyone, I stumbled onto this site perusing the MANY comments on the inter-web about this issue with Honda. I have a 2016 Accord EX. The CarPlay has never worked properly. Very frustrating, it will work fine and for unknown reasons just freeze. As others have noted sometimes the issue is limited to the radio display but other times the entire upper display (fuel economy etc.) also freezes and reboots. As others, Honda has no answers. Looking at some of the posts here, I went on Amazon and bought a wired to wireless adapter for $89 to convert it to Wireless CarPlay. It seems it’s always been very touchy about the cable. I’ve had small cables, new cables, ANY cable if the phone is picked up while in motion almost guarantees the CarPlay will freeze. So I thought perhaps with the wireless that issue might be averted. So - I’m only a solid day in but thought I’d share my experiences, as they add an unusual dimension to the problem. So I connect the adapter to the USB port under the infotainment system (same one used for wired CarPlay). The adapter is USB-C but has a USB-C to USB-A adapter so it connects. Turn on the key, watch it boot up. Loads up an image from the adapter and asks if I want to use CarPlay with the adapter. I affirm yes, the phone comes up with a pairing message and all works great! So this was last night, I went to bed happy.

This morning I was excited to drive to work. So I put the wired cable in the center console USB port so I can keep the phone charged while driving. Fire up the car, back out the drive, it boots up and gets to the main menu then freezes at the “Loading…” message for CarPlay. No undoing it - drove it for a couple miles that way. Turn car off, restart, same issue. A few choice words, a promise to return the dongle to Amazon, reconnect the wired cable and it worked going to work. I should note I keep my iPhone 12 updated - currently running iOS17 and I will say with 17 it seems more stable than it ever has. Still has issues but more infrequent. Anyway - I get out of work today and decide to try it again. I plug in the device, fire up the car, all boots up into wireless CarPlay as it should. I plug in the charger and all is well.

Hmm…so I try again. Turn the car off, restart - now boots to the “Loading…” and locks. I turn the car off, unplug the phone from the charger, restart and all works OK.

So - after all that I can recreate that any time I start the car with my phone plugged into the charging USB port it acts up. If I start the car, let it boot THEN plug in the charging cable all appears OK. If I plug the charging cable into a cigarette lighter adapter USB it works fine.

I tried just for grins to connect the phone to the usb port in the center console without the wireless adapter plugged in at the front just to see - as expected it charges the phone but does not connect to CarPlay. Yet - somehow that USB port must be powered by/connected to/somehow related to the radio unit. And I wonder if having that relationship adds to the instability of the wired CarPlay feature. At any rate, more trips are needed but I’ve driven about 30 minute trips and no freezes running off the wireless CarPlay adapter. So I’m hopeful. I work in the auto industry - am going to research the wiring of that USB connector to see if I can find the relationship to the front USB/CarPlay connector.

Anyway, thought I would share and hope it helps someone else. This is the only negative about this car.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Hi everyone, I stumbled onto this site perusing the MANY comments on the inter-web about this issue with Honda. I have a 2016 Accord EX. The CarPlay has never worked properly. Very frustrating, it will work fine and for unknown reasons just freeze. As others have noted sometimes the issue is limited to the radio display but other times the entire upper display (fuel economy etc.) also freezes and reboots. As others, Honda has no answers. Looking at some of the posts here, I went on Amazon and bought a wired to wireless adapter for $89 to convert it to Wireless CarPlay. It seems it’s always been very touchy about the cable. I’ve had small cables, new cables, ANY cable if the phone is picked up while in motion almost guarantees the CarPlay will freeze. So I thought perhaps with the wireless that issue might be averted. So - I’m only a solid day in but thought I’d share my experiences, as they add an unusual dimension to the problem. So I connect the adapter to the USB port under the infotainment system (same one used for wired CarPlay). The adapter is USB-C but has a USB-C to USB-A adapter so it connects. Turn on the key, watch it boot up. Loads up an image from the adapter and asks if I want to use CarPlay with the adapter. I affirm yes, the phone comes up with a pairing message and all works great! So this was last night, I went to bed happy.

This morning I was excited to drive to work. So I put the wired cable in the center console USB port so I can keep the phone charged while driving. Fire up the car, back out the drive, it boots up and gets to the main menu then freezes at the “Loading…” message for CarPlay. No undoing it - drove it for a couple miles that way. Turn car off, restart, same issue. A few choice words, a promise to return the dongle to Amazon, reconnect the wired cable and it worked going to work. I should note I keep my iPhone 12 updated - currently running iOS17 and I will say with 17 it seems more stable than it ever has. Still has issues but more infrequent. Anyway - I get out of work today and decide to try it again. I plug in the device, fire up the car, all boots up into wireless CarPlay as it should. I plug in the charger and all is well.

Hmm…so I try again. Turn the car off, restart - now boots to the “Loading…” and locks. I turn the car off, unplug the phone from the charger, restart and all works OK.

So - after all that I can recreate that any time I start the car with my phone plugged into the charging USB port it acts up. If I start the car, let it boot THEN plug in the charging cable all appears OK. If I plug the charging cable into a cigarette lighter adapter USB it works fine.

I tried just for grins to connect the phone to the usb port in the center console without the wireless adapter plugged in at the front just to see - as expected it charges the phone but does not connect to CarPlay. Yet - somehow that USB port must be powered by/connected to/somehow related to the radio unit. And I wonder if having that relationship adds to the instability of the wired CarPlay feature. At any rate, more trips are needed but I’ve driven about 30 minute trips and no freezes running off the wireless CarPlay adapter. So I’m hopeful. I work in the auto industry - am going to research the wiring of that USB connector to see if I can find the relationship to the front USB/CarPlay connector.

Anyway, thought I would share and hope it helps someone else. This is the only negative about this car.
Could be a sign of insufficiency with the power provided to USB port. When you have 2 devices connected to both USB ports, it seems to fail immediately. In case of having only the iPhone connected to the carplay port, the freezing could be related to a some additional power requirements during driving.

I wonder what would happen if you source the power, say, from the lighter USB and only have data connection to the carplay port. Imagine a usb port and it has all the cables exposed. You will have data related pins, and also power related pins. Power goes back to the phone from an external power source (ie. cigarette lighter usb adapter) and the data ports are directly connected to the phone. That way, the audio system does not have to fight for providing power to the phone.

I’ve actually tried something close to this in the past and had only data connectors active on the usb port and plugged it in the main carplay port. Obviously it did not initiate the carplay session because there was no power to the phone. But if power is provided from other sources not related to the audio system, I would guess the phone would start the carplay session and maybe that is the solution

Btw, center console usb is connected to the audio system. It acts as an ipod just to play music. Try playing music and you will hear the sound coming from the audio system. So, yes it is connected.

IMG_0042.jpeg

Last edited:

Scubajohnsonben

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
Hard to say for sure. Of course in the original "wired carplay" scenario it locked up all the time as well, and the phone itself has plenty of battery power. I checked the wiring diagram for the system this morning and both USB ports are definitely connected to the "Audio-Navigation Unit" (the infotainment center) to two different connectors. So somewhere there's some cross-play. It's funny - in my much younger years I used to be in the aftermarket car stereo world somewhat, and Clarion was always an entry-level, inexpensive unit. Honda in those days used to use Alpine stereos which were premium units in the aftermarket. My experience with this Clarion in this Honda reflects my prior experiences. I've had it lock up so bad I see command lines indicating where something froze on the display. But...only Day 2 but I made it to work and back now twice with no freezes, which I'm not sure I've ever done with the wired interface. So we'll see! So far I'm very happy with the wireless CarPlay adapter as it allows me to keep everything tidy - I keep the phone in the center console and the adapter fits behind the door of the front USB adapter so no wires are visible - and (so far) NO LOCKUPS! Very pleased.

1696600719898.png

1696600842969.png

SerVit

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Hi guys.
So, I am the owner of a Honda Accord EX-L 2017 and I have the same problems as wrote in this topic.
Do you have any updates about stable work with wireless adapter? If yes the work is stable now, what wireless adapter adapter can you recommend?

Thank you very much!

Scubajohnsonben

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
I’ve had mine now since October last year. It’s still not perfect but about 90% better than with the wired CarPlay. The thing is, though, you plug the adapter into the front USB port under the radio, and charge your phone via a lighter socket adapter. On mine (a 2016) if I connect the USB cable from the center console CarPlay on the radio will not boot properly. I put a screenshot of the one I bought as an attachment. It works pretty well - but I will say if you do a lot of Navigation, phone calls and texts it can get confused. And once in a while (always when least convenient) it will still lock up. But I would say it’s about 90% improved, especially if you primarily use it for nav. I don’t know if any of the others are better - this is just a Chinese thing - just the first one I found…. Good luck - the Clariion media setup is definitely the weak link on these Accords. Otherwise great cars.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.png
    IMG_0628.png
    723.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: SerVit

SerVit

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
I’ve had mine now since October last year. It’s still not perfect but about 90% better than with the wired CarPlay. The thing is, though, you plug the adapter into the front USB port under the radio, and charge your phone via a lighter socket adapter. On mine (a 2016) if I connect the USB cable from the center console CarPlay on the radio will not boot properly. I put a screenshot of the one I bought as an attachment. It works pretty well - but I will say if you do a lot of Navigation, phone calls and texts it can get confused. And once in a while (always when least convenient) it will still lock up. But I would say it’s about 90% improved, especially if you primarily use it for nav. I don’t know if any of the others are better - this is just a Chinese thing - just the first one I found…. Good luck - the Clariion media setup is definitely the weak link on these Accords. Otherwise great cars.
Thank you for the update. I agree, Accords are good cars but their media make them annoying...

Reactions: Trader05
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.