Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Carrying on from here 2016 Formula 1 Season Thread its probably time we started a new thread.

The dust has settled on 2016 and its time to look forward to a new season. Improved downforce and wider tyres will hopefully mean more teams are in the hunt for race wins next season.

Of course with all those rule changes it will make it interesting to see who will jump ship to join the all conquering Mercedes alongside Lewis.
If I was in a Force India or Haas its a no brainer, but if you are in a Red Bull or Ferrari it might not be the car to beat next year. Hard to say.
I just hope it is closer between different teams next year, but mostly like everyone else we are just all preoccupied with who will replace Nico.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Really hoping for a good campaign from Haas in 2017 following a strong (yet inconsistent) 2016.
I'm not so sure. I believe RBR will improve, Ferrari will improve and (hopefully) McLaren Honda will improve.
Assuming Haas finish in front of Manor and Sauber I'm not sure who else they can beat.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If Haas can overcome their braking issues, they should be able to do better since they have a 2017 Ferrari engine and other components.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If Haas can overcome their braking issues, they should be able to do better since they have a 2017 Ferrari engine and other components.
True the brakes were an issue, but it's always a lottery until the first tests when there is a major list of rule changes.
So although a better engine looks like it will help, if other teams make bigger leaps you can end up going backwards down the grid.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
True the brakes were an issue, but it's always a lottery until the first tests when there is a major list of rule changes.
So although a better engine looks like it will help, if other teams make bigger leaps you can end up going backwards down the grid.

In general I agree with you, but I think Haas is as close to a Ferrari "factory B team" as the rules will currently allow which I believe will help their learning curve be less shallow.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Anyone else applied?
IMG_3036.PNG

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
It will be interesting to see how 'aggressive' Max will be for 2017. To be honest, F1 needs a little 'edge' to it, even more so now that Nico has gone.

2013: It was all Vettel this and Vettel that. He was really cocky, no?
2014: Still all Vettel, and Lewis winning the championship
2015: Vettel moving to Ferrari as well as Nico this, Hamilton that, and Kvyat being awful!
2016: Talk about a close championship, and so many retirees

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing how Ricciardo, Max and Lewis do in 2017.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
they should fire lewie and finally make the point that it is the car.
Keep dreaming. No point having the best car and giving away the best driver!

As for the 'best' car, only the first race in 2017 will tell us for sure. I think RBR and Ferrari will close the gap for sure.

I'm thinking Bottas or one of the younger drivers.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mercedes have had their first bid for Bottas turned down.
I think it's just a negotiation at this point.
Does leave Williams with a problem though. With Massa retiring, they could end up with no experience on the grid.
Nasr could be a possibility. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance. But it's hard to say if he's any good TBH.
At least it gives us some interest in the closed season.

Reactions: pachyderm

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Does leave Williams with a problem though. With Massa retiring, they could end up with no experience on the grid.
Nasr could be a possibility. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance. But it's hard to say if he's any good TBH.

I've been disappointed with Bottas in 2016. Not sure if it's the car, or him.

Would he suit Mercedes, though? Does he have a winning desire?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Doesn't williams want to trade bottas for an engineer? or something like that? I saw a name mentioned but can't find it now.

Last edited:

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
2017 already!

In my dream world one of the following to partner Lewis: Alonso, Max or Vettel.

I've never rated Jenson that highly as a driver but it would be good to see him partner his old team mate to see if Lewis has got mentally stronger, as Jenson's mind games worked well on Lewis.

I think Perez will be a good match but Bottas is no slouch and should partner well with him.

I really want to see that McLaren fighting for wins, seeing Fernando in that dud is not right.
Glad they dropped Ron it was time, i felt Whitemarsh (who vanished) was vanished was not given a fair run and I suspected that was due to Ron in the background.

Ferrari I've lost interest in but I would like to see Redbull up in the field, joined by Force India, i felt Perez drove well and bounced back the best way after being dropped by McLaren.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So Massa is heading back to Williams so Bottas can go to Mercedes.
Who'd have though after his Brazilian standing ovation as he walked through the pit lane, that he'd have another season!

Great move for Bottas of course. I think he'll be a good safe replacement for Nico that won't rock the boat to much. I'm sure Todd Wolfe would like a more harmonious garage.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
So Massa is heading back to Williams so Bottas can go to Mercedes.
Who'd have though after his Brazilian standing ovation as he walked through the pit lane, that he'd have another season!

Great move for Bottas of course. I think he'll be a good safe replacement for Nico that won't rock the boat to much. I'm sure Todd Wolfe would like a more harmonious garage.
When your offered 5 million in cash plus a years contract would you turn it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.