Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I wonder how much sponsorship money Massa brings? I thought Williams would have tried a fresh face like McLaren did Lewis or Redbull Seb & Max.

Reactions: pachyderm

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
From what I read Williams need an "older" driver due to the Martini sponsorship - don't want to encourage (or be seen to encourage) underage drinkers.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So Massa is heading back to Williams so Bottas can go to Mercedes.
Who'd have though after his Brazilian standing ovation as he walked through the pit lane, that he'd have another season!

Great move for Bottas of course. I think he'll be a good safe replacement for Nico that won't rock the boat to much. I'm sure Todd Wolfe would like a more harmonious garage.

excited for bottas. he will finally get at least one win, somehow, some way...

was hoping for a completely new driver pairing at williams. i can't pretend to be a massa fan any longer. i don't dislike him, i'm just tired of him.

van doorne will replace button right?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Interesting news, Massa to Williams, and possibly Bottas to Mercedes.
Hmm...
1gcv45.jpg

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38632247

Bottas looks all but confirmed for Mercedes and Massa will most likely get at least one more year in F1.

Expect we will see an official announcement in the next 7-14 days at most?
Sounds like a great deal for Bottas, Massa and Hamilton.
Bottas is going to be better for him than someone like Max. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in a competitive car (assuming that it is still the best on the grid, and that is no guarantee).
Roll in March.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
Sounds like a great deal for Bottas, Massa and Hamilton.
Bottas is going to be better for him than someone like Max. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in a competitive car (assuming that it is still the best on the grid, and that is no guarantee).
Roll in March.
Agreed, going to be interesting and with the rule changes and the new aero packages it will be good to see what the competitiveness of the Mercedes is and if the rest of the field can catch up, especially Red Bull.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Agreed, going to be interesting and with the rule changes and the new aero packages it will be good to see what the competitiveness of the Mercedes is and if the rest of the field can catch up, especially Red Bull.
I'd say especially mclaren personally. Engine rules change next year. Development should be quicker ;)

Reactions: kryten42

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
This will be a rather interesting season in Formula One. Looking forward to big things from Mercedes...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd rather hope Mercedes don't do big things, but find RBR, Ferrari and McLaren all very much on par. Then we can get some good close racing.

As for Massa coming back I can understand Williams wanting a guy with a proven track record. Hopefully it works out well for him (but doubt he'll get another standing ovation from the pits in Brazil!).

Reactions: Three141

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I did not want to see Massa return; nothing against him but when you retire; just retire.

I was hoping to see a freah face but oh well.

Disappointed with Mercedes choosing Bottas but i know he will drive well.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I did not want to see Massa return; nothing against him but when you retire; just retire.

I think both of them are safe choices. That's what shareholders want.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill

I'm with you on "retiring". Think that Massa should have just stayed retired. Will we have to go through that last race thing again with him again? The original was heartfelt, next one...meh.
Yes to the fresh faces too. They just lost a spot.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

agreed on massa.

bottas deserves a decent ride, ihmo, so i like that choice.

Reactions: Three141

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
dates for car launches...?
[doublepost=1484778485][/doublepost]2017 car launches
February 21: Renault, TBC
February 22: Force India VJM10, Silverstone
February 23: Mercedes W08, Silverstone
February 24: Ferrari, Fiorano and McLaren, Woking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.