Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
This afternoon I checked a 2016 MBP without touchbar alongside my 2017 MBP with toucher.

I was specifically looking for the difference in haptic feedback between the two devices. I found that the 2016 model has a slightly more clicky kind of feedback whereas the feedback from my MBP is less pronounced and a bit softer.

Has anyone noticed this difference between 2016 and 2017 models ? Or is this specific to my laptop? Should I be concerned?

Paapaa

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
I guess you experience normal manufacturing differences within tolerances. If you think there is a problem, take it to service. But small differences in click feel are not necessarily a problem at all.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
There is some small variation between models. It's not anything to be concerned about though. :)

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I like my laptop. It’s just that.. when I’m working out or moving slightly heavy stuff like books etc and at the same time when I use my laptop.. SOMETIMES I can’t feel whether the trackpad is clicked. It’s weird I know but it actually happene quite a few times.

I’m certain three is a ton of people here who owns or owned both 2016 and 2017 models. Any word from them would clarify my query whether this is a manufacturing defect or not.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
This afternoon I checked a 2016 MBP without touchbar alongside my 2017 MBP with toucher.

I was specifically looking for the difference in haptic feedback between the two devices. I found that the 2016 model has a slightly more clicky kind of feedback whereas the feedback from my MBP is less pronounced and a bit softer.

Has anyone noticed this difference between 2016 and 2017 models ? Or is this specific to my laptop? Should I be concerned?

Under Preferences choose Trackpad and then Point & Click. There is a Click option you can adjust. As well as a silent option.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I'm well aware of the settings preferences. The reason for me to open this thread is different.

Etela

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I like my laptop. It’s just that.. when I’m working out or moving slightly heavy stuff like books etc and at the same time when I use my laptop.. SOMETIMES I can’t feel whether the trackpad is clicked. It’s weird I know but it actually happene quite a few times.

I’m certain three is a ton of people here who owns or owned both 2016 and 2017 models. Any word from them would clarify my query whether this is a manufacturing defect or not.

The 2017 MBP's have a problem. I bought a brand new one which shuts itself off when idle, re-starting it will take three to four start button clicks and than you will receive a message : You have shut down your computer because of a problem. Do you want to open the last sites you visited . I returned the computer and received a new one, and it has the very same problem. Apple technician suggested that it may have something to do with downloading my files from external back up device.
I doubt it, because it would not start in the store, without having anything downloaded. I would like to know if somebody had the same experience. Track pad does not react.

Etela

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I don’t have any issues (knocks on wood) with my 2017 15” MBP. so far it’s the best laptop I’ve owned. Reading all the posts in this forum, I’m surprised it hasn’t spontaneously combusted while the keyboard squeals and melts.

Reactions: New_Mac_Smell

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
The 2017 MBP's have a problem. I bought a brand new one which shuts itself off when idle, re-starting it will take three to four start button clicks and than you will receive a message : You have shut down your computer because of a problem. Do you want to open the last sites you visited . I returned the computer and received a new one, and it has the very same problem. Apple technician suggested that it may have something to do with downloading my files from external back up device.
I doubt it, because it would not start in the store, without having anything downloaded. I would like to know if somebody had the same experience. Track pad does not react.

Etela
Apple tech is probably right. You have all new hardware and same problem? Try your with the guest or new account.

Etela

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I had to edit my reply because I noted that it was posted on Jan 29, 2016, which is strange.
I was asking as to what exactly will using a guest account do?

Last edited:

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I had to edit my reply because I noted that it was posted on Jan 29, 2016, which is strange.
I was asking as to what exactly will using a guest account do?

Jan 29, 2016 is your join date, not the post date. The post date and time are at the top left of your post. ;)

To your issues, I can't say I've experienced any such problem. My 2017 has been running flawlessly but I did NOT restore it from a Time Machine backup or anything of the sort. It is a fresh install where I manually installed apps and copied data over as-needed.

Etela

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Hello Hooligan,
The fact is that 2 brand new MBPs were having the same problem from day one - and that is enough. I do not know what happened to the good old sites of Apple support, where could just login and everybody was online. It may be that when the Russian founders cashed in and left, and the leader died, everything went to wrong hands. Because that is what it looks like. I have been a Mac user forever, but I will have to consider Windows. And how exactly do you a fresh install?

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
If it were happening at the store with one fresh out of the box then the Apple Store employees should have said/done something to help. I find it hard to believe they let you leave the store with a known-defective laptop.

Russian founders? What?

I have to say, your posts are a bit hard to swallow.

Fresh install, as in as it came out of the box. I did not restore anything to my 2017 from a backup because that can cause weird problems. I copied my docs back and everything else was installed fresh, not restored.

Good luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.