Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My fresh-out-of-the-box $4800 MBP has "restarted due to a problem" during sleep twice in three days. Apparently, I'm not alone:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8465477
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8464031

In my reading, I found that users of the Mac Pros are having the same issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8232619

The symptoms are crashing during sleep or high I/O activities (with a Bridge OS error), and a report of "Warning: crypto_val: object" when running Disk Utility (which may be unrelated). Note that these are the only two machines that use the new T2 chips.

Note that I reinstalled only the bare minimum software I use from scratch and avoided using Migration Assistant just so I could be sure nothing bad was transferred from my old computer.

Any of you other new MBP users experiencing the same?

themp

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
Same. And constantly find it in my bag attempting to set itself ablaze doing god knows what when it’s supposed to be in sleep mode.

Reactions: Diazepam

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Same. And constantly find it in my bag attempting to set itself ablaze doing god knows what when it’s supposed to be in sleep mode.
When my computer is asleep, I also find that it tries to wake up my external monitor (an LG connected via the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter) periodically. Reading around, I found someone else who said his kept sending wake up commands to his external Thunderbolt displays. Seems like this 'puter doesn't understand what "sleeping" is.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Nothing here for now....but i don't let any devices connected to my MBP....maybe this is the issue i wonder?
Apple forgot to upload to the servers the macOS in the first 2-3 days of the 2018 MBP....now this...they forget to update the OS for bridge OS...i hope they will do it soon

BinarySkolex

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Signed up to post here: my brand new 2018 MBP keeps restarting during sleep too. Also the usb c ports on the left hand side don’t work. The MacBook doesn’t charge through them nor does it detect USB devices plugged in on the left hand side.

Reactions: macpcf

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Sigh... I guess this is the new normal for Apple "quality". FWIW, I've had similar crashes on my iMac Pro, but only with the LG Ultrafine 4K monitor connected. I can reliably recreate the crash by just using Photos.app normally: scrolling around, in and out of editing photos, etc. Without the monitor connected my iMac Pro is stable, but others report issues with brand new out of the box unmodified iMac Pros with no external devices. This is the biggest thread I've found so regarding the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8236615

I didn't realize that Bridge OS is what runs on the T2; the T2 is obviously the common link between iMac Pro and 2018 MBP. Welcome to the beta testers group!

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sigh... I guess this is the new normal for Apple "quality". FWIW, I've had similar crashes on my iMac Pro, but only with the LG Ultrafine 4K monitor connected. I can reliably recreate the crash by just using Photos.app normally: scrolling around, in and out of editing photos, etc. Without the monitor connected my iMac Pro is stable, but others report issues with brand new out of the box unmodified iMac Pros with no external devices. This is the biggest thread I've found so regarding the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8236615

I didn't realize that Bridge OS is what runs on the T2; the T2 is obviously the common link between iMac Pro and 2018 MBP. Welcome to the beta testers group!
What's disturbing is that the iMac Pro has been out for quite some time and there are still issues. That makes me very nervous about keeping this new (and expensive) machine. BTW, I'm on a 2018 MBP 15" 2.9/32GB/2TB if it matters.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
It may be hardware issue with the T2. My first unit was having constant spontaneous reboots and kernel panics even after a clean reinstall. I exchanged it for another unit and I’ve yet to see a crash.

Reactions: BayouTiger

BinarySkolex

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Had my 13inch swapped over for new unit also. No crashes, reboot, kernel panics so far. And all the ports work so that is a positive! :)

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if today's Supplemental Update fixed more than just the throttling issue. It was 1.4 GB in size, so there's certainly more in there than a digital key for the CPU temperature! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Had one crash like this so far.

Also I have issues with powerchime and thinking ac adapter disconnected/connected when charging has reached 100% whilst in sleep mode.

I'm hoping it is a software issue, as exchange for me would be very tricky now ( bought in different country ).

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Interesting...is this inherent in all models that use t2 chips? Anyone w/o this issue from the get-go?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Not having this issue as of yet *fingers crossed, but I hope everyone who is having the issue is reporting it to Apple. I would also suggest reporting this to senior advisors and/or through the developer bug reporting channels so that we make sure it is making it to engineering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.