Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
My first iMP crashed every few minutes with the BridgeOS error when I got it, but I took it back the next day and the replacement has been solid as a rock. Not a single KP.

The ironic part was that I bought the iMac Pro because my Mac Pro started randomly rebooting after installing High Sierra. It seems to have stopped since 10.13.4

So far the new MBP has been solid.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Weird that it fixed the crypto errors. Do they think it is related to the kernel panics?
The Apple Rep I spoke to (a Senior Technical Advisor) hadn't heard of the errors and I have no idea if they are related to the crashes. I just know that all the T2 machines seem to have shipped with them.
[doublepost=1532652749][/doublepost]
My first iMP crashed every few minutes with the BridgeOS error when I got it, but I took it back the next day and the replacement has been solid as a rock. Not a single KP.

The ironic part was that I bought the iMac Pro because my Mac Pro started randomly rebooting after installing High Sierra. It seems to have stopped since 10.13.4

So far the new MBP has been solid.
Mine crashed twice in the first three days of ownership and then not again until four days later. All three times were while the computer was sleeping.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Mine crashed twice in two days over the weekend. The next crash was 4 days later. I don’t think those who got a replacement can realistically say the issue is fixed yet without waiting a bit longer. I hope it is though.

Thanks for mentioning the OS reinstall, I’m going to do that now too, just to cover everything.
True for the MBP users I mentioned above, but there are iMac Pro users who have not had a KP in six months, after exchanging the machine.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Well what a mess! Of course when you talk to a tech at Apple they play totally stupid. This must be coached to them, which is sad. Plausible deniability. It’s ugly. They’ve “never heard of anything”. I wonder how this is going to pan out? If this were to be hardware related with the T2 chip wouldn’t Apple be in a awful pickle? I mean there’s no way they could recall all these machines. The new MBP and iMP both. And sadly I own BOTH too!!!
[doublepost=1532656573][/doublepost]Holy smokes these new MBPs have major issues!! I cannot even reinstall the OS. It just keeps looping back to recovery.

Reactions: eagerwu

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I just talked with an AppleCare rep (he called me after seeing posts on the Apple forum) and provided him with all the crash reports info and the crypto_var errors.

I just finished booting from recovery, wiping my hard drive, restoring from a Time Machine backup (of this machine from earlier today), and reinstalling Mac OS 10.13.6 and the 10.13.6 Supplemental Update. The crypto_val errors are gone after wiping the hard drive. Time will tell if the machine crashes with the Bridge OS error again.
Where do you find the crash reports? Mine restarted once overnight, but I don't recall what the error was. I've poked around in the log section, but haven't seen anything related to BridgeOS errors.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Where do you find the crash reports? Mine restarted once overnight, but I don't recall what the error was. I've poked around in the log section, but haven't seen anything related to BridgeOS errors.

there's tons of logs that can be viewed in Console, but the simplest place to use Spotlight and search for System Information. Then scroll down the list on the left to Logs. There's logs for about anything you would want to look at. Any Kernel Panic Logs would be there. IIRC you will find a pointer to BridgeOS in them ism that is the culprit.

I do love how fast the assumption is made that this is very widespread and there is a vast cover up. I'm guessing the affected sample is tiny.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
there's tons of logs that can be viewed in Console, but the simplest place to use Spotlight and search for System Information. Then scroll down the list on the left to Logs. There's logs for about anything you would want to look at. Any Kernel Panic Logs would be there. IIRC you will find a pointer to BridgeOS in them ism that is the culprit.

I do love how fast the assumption is made that this is very widespread and there is a vast cover up. I'm guessing the affected sample is tiny.
I guess it wasn't a kernel panic. No panic logs, and the only things that show up when I search for Bridge is PCIBridge and something related to BridgeOS from 3 min ago, but no crash happened then.

Markarian421

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
SFBay
True for the MBP users I mentioned above, but there are iMac Pro users who have not had a KP in six months, after exchanging the machine.

I'm an iMac Pro user who has had these kernel panics since the iMac Pro was new. On the threads I'm following on the Apple forums I haven't seen anyone report a replacement behaving any differently. There are several folks who have had two or three machines now with the same kernel panics.

I think this is the most recently active thread there: https://discussions.apple.com/message/33683334

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'm an iMac Pro user who has had these kernel panics since the iMac Pro was new. On the threads I'm following on the Apple forums I haven't seen anyone report a replacement behaving any differently. There are several folks who have had two or three machines now with the same kernel panics.
Well there’s one in this very thread.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Interesting, I have not had a single instance of this with my iMac Pro (first batch, purchased the day they were released), though it should be noted that mine never sleeps (just the screen).

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Interesting, I have not had a single instance of this with my iMac Pro (first batch, purchased the day they were released), though it should be noted that mine never sleeps (just the screen).

Can you simulate the situations that resulted in others having kp in their machines?

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Can you simulate the situations that resulted in others having kp in their machines?
Could be difficult... I've skimmed through the thread, but it sounds like the computer needs to be put to sleep, and then it may or may not happen over the course of several days?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I cannot even reinstall macOS on this new MBP now. It keeps looping back to recovery and saying the OS needs to be reinstalled. Loops and loops.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Could be difficult... I've skimmed through the thread, but it sounds like the computer needs to be put to sleep, and then it may or may not happen over the course of several days?

It's your machine after all, you use it however you want and I'm sure you don't wanna find out that your expensive imac pro crashes several months after purchase.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I never found the crash in the logs. All I saw was the "your Mac restarted because of an error" screen pop up after it rebooted.
[doublepost=1532662837][/doublepost]
Well what a mess! Of course when you talk to a tech at Apple they play totally stupid. This must be coached to them, which is sad. Plausible deniability. It’s ugly. They’ve “never heard of anything”. I wonder how this is going to pan out? If this were to be hardware related with the T2 chip wouldn’t Apple be in a awful pickle? I mean there’s no way they could recall all these machines. The new MBP and iMP both. And sadly I own BOTH too!!!
[doublepost=1532656573][/doublepost]Holy smokes these new MBPs have major issues!! I cannot even reinstall the OS. It just keeps looping back to recovery.
You disconnected everything and held CMD-R until the apple logo showed up? That sucks if you are even having problems trying to fix the other problems!

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I never found the crash in the logs. All I saw was the "your Mac restarted because of an error" screen pop up after it rebooted.
[doublepost=1532662837][/doublepost]
You disconnected everything and held CMD-R until the apple logo showed up? That sucks if you are even having problems trying to fix the other problems!
Yes. The reinstall starts, but then reboots back into recovery and says the OS needs to be reinstalled. So it never fully installs and just keeps looping like this. WTF is Apple doing with these MBPs!?!? You can’t even do a clean install of the OS.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I booted to recovery, wiped the drive and then chose "restore from time machine backup." I then rebooted the computer and decided to also reinstall the OS. So I booted back into recovery and chose "reinstall Mac OS." That installed 10.13.6. Then when the computer restarted I went into the App Store and installed the supplemental update.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I booted to recovery, wiped the drive and then chose "restore from time machine backup." I then rebooted the computer and decided to also reinstall the OS. So I booted back into recovery and chose "reinstall Mac OS." That installed 10.13.6. Then when the computer restarted I went into the App Store and installed the supplemental update.
Ah so you did not do a clean install by wiping the drive and then installing fresh from either a USB drive or from recovery. Well I have some really bad news for everyone. Apple has done something that has screwed these new MBPs up so bad that you cannot do a clean install of the OS. It gets stuck in a perpetual loop. I dare anyone to try. My machine is being returned tomorrow for a refund. I am beside myself with disgust over this latest fiasco of a release. A train wreck from day one.

fwmls

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
I guess it wasn't a kernel panic. No panic logs, and the only things that show up when I search for Bridge is PCIBridge and something related to BridgeOS from 3 min ago, but no crash happened then.

I also got the Bridge OS crash without an alert message window after restart. But there was still a log generated. Have a look at /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/Retired directory. Mine was panic-full-*.ips.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I also got the Bridge OS crash without an alert message window after restart. But there was still a log generated. Have a look at /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/Retired directory. Mine was panic-full-*.ips.
I hope you got that to engineering?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.