Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If you're really worried about corruption, the only way to to be sure is store all your data on a FreeNAS (or general ZFS storage) with mirroring or RAID Z2 and use SMB to access it.

My data is not valuable enough to justify that expense, especially if you go and make it All-Flash (because if you're really serious, you have to buy enterprise-level SSDs....)

So, we live with the limitations of macOS and its associated hardware, because we really like macOS and hope that if the next bugfix doesn't finally fix it (promise!), the next version surely will (really!).

;-)
Yeah I think it's a case of deciding which are the 'most palatable evils'. I'll check out the FreeNAS, thanks for that.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
If you're really worried about corruption, the only way to to be sure is store all your data on a FreeNAS (or general ZFS storage) with mirroring or RAID Z2 and use SMB to access it.

;-)
Nonsense.

Time Machine backup & restore works fine as does APFS Snapshots. This Bridge OS problem is an issue with the T2 chip only.

I’ve been working with Apple For a few weeks trying to get this resolved on my iMac Pro and have done a couple of Time Machine restores at their insistence. Since it is not a Mac OS issue, those accomplished nothing but wasted time, of course, but data corruption is not one of the problems here.

Associated problems do include collapsing USB3 ports (but not Thunderbolt), inability to Safe Boot and reset the NV RAM without disabling the T2 security in Repair Partition/Security Utility. Seven–ten minute reboots are getting really old.

Since this was caused by a Security Update that didn’t go right, I wish they’d finish one that fixes this.

I don’t let my Mac go to sleep except for the display and have done so for years. I only reboot when the USB3 ports collapse now.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Nonsense.

Time Machine backup & restore works fine as does APFS Snapshots. This Bridge OS problem is an issue with the T2 chip only.

I’ve been working with Apple For a few weeks trying to get this resolved on my iMac Pro and have done a couple of Time Machine restores at their insistence. Since it is not a Mac OS issue, those accomplished nothing but wasted time, of course, but data corruption is not one of the problems here.

Associated problems do include collapsing USB3 ports (but not Thunderbolt), inability to Safe Boot and reset the NV RAM without disabling the T2 security in Repair Partition/Security Utility. Seven–ten minute reboots are getting really old.

Since this was caused by a Security Update that didn’t go right, I wish they’d finish one that fixes this.

I don’t let my Mac go to sleep except for the display and have done so for years. I only reboot when the USB3 ports collapse now.
I don't do Time Machine. Can't stand it. I do regular clones instead.
TM failed me back in the early days and I've not gone back to it since plus I prefer the ability to boot my clone almost anywhere.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I don't do Time Machine. Can't stand it. I do regular clones instead.
TM failed me back in the early days and I've not gone back to it since plus I prefer the ability to boot my clone almost anywhere.
Well, that's your problem, then.

Cloneware was useful a long time ago. Nowadays, its only purpose is to waste time and benefit those selling you the snake oil. There's nothing it does that can't be done in Terminal. Not one thing.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well, that's your problem, then.

Cloneware was useful a long time ago. Nowadays, its only purpose is to waste time and benefit those selling you the snake oil. There's nothing it does that can't be done in Terminal. Not one thing.
What on earth are you on about?
The clone happens while I’m asleep using Disk Utility, (so no extra selling involved).
Go away.

Reactions: Valdna

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I take it by your lack of a witty response that you have tried to boot from your clone and found that you can't. Neither can you boot into your recovery partition to do a restore should something go wrong and that becomes necessary.

The T2 chip prevents this unless you disable some of its security settings. I've posted how in other threads.

Maybe you think that disabling security settings is a good idea. I don't.

BTW, Time Machine works every hour, not just when I'm asleep. APFS Snapshots will do a complete System Restore in a few minutes and requires TM. Yes, I know that the cloneware now "works with Time Machine" — it has to or certain APFS functionality cannot work. One more reason I can state that cloning is not necessary.

Yes, those horrible HDDs in old Time Capsules caused TM problems and there was that bug in OS 10.9.4. So what? Every time a major OS upgrade happens, the cloneware developers tell you not to use it till they figure out how to make their products work again.

I don't care if you and the other cloneware fan boy bullies around here want to pay for something that isn't needed by anyone but your constant insistence that it's necessary is you spreading nonsense. Stop it.

I have no problem with stating facts in the light of misinformation and I am most definitely Not going away.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I take it by your lack of a witty response that you have tried to boot from your clone and found that you can't. Neither can you boot into your recovery partition to do a restore should something go wrong and that becomes necessary.

The T2 chip prevents this unless you disable some of its security settings. I've posted how in other threads.

Maybe you think that disabling security settings is a good idea. I don't.

BTW, Time Machine works every hour, not just when I'm asleep. APFS Snapshots will do a complete System Restore in a few minutes and requires TM. Yes, I know that the cloneware now "works with Time Machine" — it has to or certain APFS functionality cannot work. One more reason I can state that cloning is not necessary.

Yes, those horrible HDDs in old Time Capsules caused TM problems and there was that bug in OS 10.9.4. So what? Every time a major OS upgrade happens, the cloneware developers tell you not to use it till they figure out how to make their products work again.

I don't care if you and the other cloneware fan boy bullies around here want to pay for something that isn't needed by anyone but your constant insistence that it's necessary is you spreading nonsense. Stop it.

I have no problem with stating facts in the light of misinformation and I am most definitely Not going away.
That must be in response to me. I'l make this my last reply to you as you obviously just want to troll.
I have not tried to boot from my clone.
The T2 chip was configured on DAY 1 to allow me to boot from other drives in the recovery settings, I'd rather be able to just connect another drive and get on with things immediately if I need to.
Not sure what was so important to understand about my earlier post but Disk Utility comes with the OS and dunno if you do but I don't consider it cloneware.
Good day sir.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Disconnecting peripherals, resetting SMC, PRAM, safe-boot, Disk First Aid or even a clean install to macOS 10.14.6 and Safari 12.1.2 does not help.
None of that can help since it's not the problem. Neither can updating to Catalina since OS 10.15.4 introduced it also.

I'm hoping that Apple has a T2 firmware updater that I can test this week. They've already offered to replace my iMac Pro under AppleCare but I don't want that. Those I've talked to at Apple seem to be unaware that this affects a lot of people.

Every person covered by AppleCare affected by this Bridge OS 4.4 kernel panic issue should be in touch with Apple. Bug reports aren't enough. Let's force them to fix this now.

This is similar to the USB 2 audio interface bug (T2 Macs only) where Apple replaced a lot of Macs under warranty before Mojave 10.14.4 was released and fixed the problem.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Seems like Apple has become some sort of a tanker (or aircraft carrier) where it takes a couple of major hits before the bridge (pun intended) realizes they're sailing through a mine-field.

I need my Mac for working and the stores are closed. No time to open a case with them and just through a few hoops, unfortunately.

Reactions: g75d3

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The OS partition (MiniBoot) is APFS.
The 3 other partitions are HFS+.

There are a few downsides to that approach; the biggest is that much of the free space is no longer available to you. Not my issue.
I need my Mac for working and the stores are closed. No time to open a case with them and just through a few hoops, unfortunately.
I make my living with mine, too.

If you don't open a case, how do they know you have this problem, too?

It can all be done over the phone. I certainly am not going to a store or genius bar—besides, as you've pointed out, they're closed anyway.

The second I no longer have this problem, I'll no longer be interested in it. Though I hope they send me a link to a firmware updater that fixes things, if they send me a new or refurb unit plus a prepaid shipping label for this one, I'll take it. They've already made the offer but I'm giving them another week or so before I take them up on it.

My altruism on behalf of other users only goes so far.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Well, this unit has no other problems (so far). If I get a new one, it's a bit of a lottery ;-)

I work from home (since about a month...), I could theoretically use my old 2012 Mini - but that would defeat the purpose. And I'd need a new display (which was the larger reason to buy the 2018 to begin with...)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Let's force them to fix this now.

My suspicion is that there is not one "fix". Given all the things that the T2 does it is likely that we are seeing a lot of different problems. Lots of exceptions for different abnormal conditions that the software doesn't know how to handle. Filing crash and bug reports is likely the only way to work out the bugs.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
How is having an USB-C display, an Apple USB Keyboard (from 2008 iMac), an USB mouse and an USB3 harddrive "abnormal"?

It's not having the devices per se that causes software exceptions, it is how they are used. For example I can cause a T2 crash if I try to open up a .mkv file which was only partially ripped due to sector reads on the optical drive. Conceptually we have open disk using disk driver, open folder, open file, open package, open package folder, open file (which may be corrupt). Any of these opens can fail in many ways. File not found, you do not have permission to open this item, the item is locked, etc. Each of these open failures is an exception and has to be handled. Different error messages need to be given to the user. With all of the hardware out there there must be millions of possible failure combinations. Most can be handled generically, but in some cases a error occurs which is unanticipated.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
That sounds interesting, does it make a difference what player software you use?

This crash is caused by the Finder opening up the stream as described. Haven't tried any players since the file is incomplete/corrupted and I doin't want my crashing system to corrupt my other disks.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I work from home (since about a month...), I could theoretically use my old 2012 Mini - but that would defeat the purpose. And I'd need a new display (which was the larger reason to buy the 2018 to begin with...)
Since it happened after a security or software update, you're entitled to phone support. Take advantage of it. Yes, they'll make you jump through hoops but you can limit the time and schedule follow-up. I also work from home (since 2007) so I have to schedule this, too.

If you have AppleCare as I do, it might push the priority higher, don't really know.

My suspicion is that there is not one "fix". Given all the things that the T2 does it is likely that we are seeing a lot of different problems.
Well, they are working on a patch for an upcoming beta of Catalina 10.15.5. If I were to guess, it would be after that was thoroughly tested, then they'd work on another security update for Mojave—but we need them to get off the stick now.

I could do a lot of my work on my 2012 MBP (yikes!) but not everything.

As I never let the CPU sleep, only the display, it's manageable for me. That's no reason to let up on the pressure.

Unfortunately, though I live only 2 miles away from the Mother Ship in Cupertino, current lock down conditions prevent me from taking my machine in and letting Apple have at it.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I opened a ticket with them and they (basically) said: "Update to Catalina".

The guy I chatted with said he can't go to the internet and read forum-postings (wanted to refer him to this thread).

A couple of days ago, it even rebooted when it was just "sleeping". Normally, it only reboots when I put it into "hibernate" mode via the Apple-menu.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I opened a ticket with them and they (basically) said: "Update to Catalina".
Yep, I tried that just to see what would happen. No change as those running 10.15.4 with the exact same problem can tell us.

There are still a pair of 32 bit apps I need to use. Both companies say soon for 64 bit but no release dates. There's a possibility that, if one gets released, I can use it to convert filed from the other and then I can say Adios to the other — but I won't know till release, right?

Till then, grinding away on Apple. Told the tech yesterday that I'm getting tired of the double-talk especially the treatment of this somehow being an isolated issue.

alberti82

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
Yep, I tried that just to see what would happen. No change as those running 10.15.4 with the exact same problem can tell us.

I have a slightly different (and more positive) experience to report.

I have been struggling with the same kernel panic
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G2022)","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.2 (17P2551)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"1C6D0718-A68F-4EF2-8343-B0568008C92D","timestamp":"2020-01-27 15:04:40.88 +0000","bug_type":"210"}
every time my iMac Pro 2018 was getting awake and a USB device was plugged in my computer. For a long time (>1 yr) my workaround has simply been to prevent my iMac Pro from sleeping. To resolve this issue, I recently decided to make a brand new installation of MacOS and to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina (10.15.4).

While installing Catalina, I made sure to completely reformat my HD. I also avoided importing my old user through the Migration Assistant, although this was probably not necessary. It is now more than 3 weeks I have been using my computer, putting it to sleep over night, with usb plugged in, and I have not experienced any kernel panic ever since. So, I am now confident to say that my problem has to been fixed.

There are only two things I have not reinstalled yet and were present in my previous Mojave installation. (1) Paragon NTFS support for writing to Windows NTFS file systems, (2) FileVault encryption of my APFS partition where my MacOS runs. Most likely, none of the two is the culprit, but I did not want to omit this disclaimer. Soon I will attempt to install (1) and then (2), and we will see whether the problem occurs again.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Ha! I'm quite familiar with NTFS but I don't know the Paragon product.

File Vault — that better not cause a problem but it would be telling if it did.

I think the problem occurred with the Security Update (Mojave) or 10.15.4 update (Catalina). If you survived those installs, you should be good since normal installation of apps does not touch the Bridge OS. This is a guess but it is making sense to me.

The only think I haven't tried is an Internet Restore. Reset my machine to complete factory specs and go from there. Really want to avoid that if I can.

alberti82

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
The only think I haven't tried is an Internet Restore. Reset my machine to complete factory specs and go from there. Really want to avoid that if I can.

Thank you for sharing your experience. To be clear, resetting my machine as you just described, i.e., installing Catalina from the Internet from scratch, is indeed what worked for me. All attempts I did before failed.

I have been tracking this discussion on this forum since the beginning. Maybe someone else here can confirm whether a full reinstall of Catalina from scratch fixes the problem, as was the case for me.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Well, I gave it some thought this evening and fixed it on mine.

Last year, there were security updates for High Sierra that wouldn't run— around 50 of the iMacs and MacBooks I service weren't shutting down properly after running the App Store update — but the stand alone updater would crash. Eventually, I stumbled upon corruption of the Launch Services database. Rebuilding it and running the standalone updater fixed me up.

This afternoon, I thought, Hmmm... six minute reboot after an Apple Security Update ... What if it's the same damned thing? Well guess what?

Here's how to Rebuild the Launch Services in Mojave and High Sierra (not sure about Catalina):

1. Open Terminal and run these commands (Copy and Paste) then hit Enter or Return after each line.

2. sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

3. your Admin password

4. killall Dock

5. sudo mdutil -E /

6. Restart your Mac

I'll let Apple know when I talk to them again next Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.