Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
FWIW I returned mine, a fully loaded 2019 MBP because my old 2017 runs cooler - with or without an external monitor. I hope you all figure out the issue or Apple resolves it, or someone figures out how to run it cooler. But I'm not keeping a $6k machine that runs 20 degrees fahrenheit hotter than my old machine when only web browsing, spikes to 190/200 degrees, makes noise and vibrates slightly when plugged into a wall charger. That doesn't sound like a machine that will last.

My general thoughts on the machine compared to my 2017 MBP:

+3 Speaker quality is significantly improved
+3 I actually really like True Tone in my often yellow-tinted environment
+1 The screen is a noticeably larger and it makes a difference because I run it in 2x retina (lower equivalent pixels than default)
+1 I like the T2 and improved security by default (now I'm encrypting my old machine and it hope it doesn't slow it down too much)
+0 Shockingly, I'm actually neutral on the keyboard. My issues with my old machine have resolved and with the old keyboard, I can tell when I press the keys. with the new keyboard I often hit it and get no input.
+0 Less shockingly, I don't care about a physical escape key (I use caps lock). a forward delete would be huge.
-9 It runs stupidly hotter
Hey, topic starter is here!
Can you share with us what high resolutions worked well for you without heating up the computer?

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I’m not experiencing this with an external monitor, the computer is pretty quiet and stays around 50-60 degrees in intel power gadget. I only got it to stay at 70-80 when I ran geekbench 5 cpu test. Is is my workload?

PiresT

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
If you are just browsing and doing light work the normal temperatures are 40-50°C when connected to an external display, I think the problem is in the software optimization when connecting to a monitor throught hdmi, if you use a native resolution you wont probably have any issues, else it will heat up. But if you connect to a monitor with a usb-c usb-c cable it will be fine, probably

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
If you are just browsing and doing light work the normal temperatures are 40-50°C when connected to an external display, I think the problem is in the software optimization when connecting to a monitor throught hdmi, if you use a native resolution you wont probably have any issues, else it will heat up. But if you connect to a monitor with a usb-c usb-c cable it will be fine, probably
I’m using DP1.2.

moroland

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
I have the same noise/heat issue. Mine is a 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 version and I have an old Apple Thunderbolt Display. I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
Both the internal and the external display are at "Default for display". This means 2560 x 1440 for the external display.
The same display works fine with my old 13" Retina MacBook Pro (the pre-butterfly keyboard version). My partner's 2019 MacBook Air works fine as well (via the adapter of course).
By "works fine" I mean there is no noticable difference in noise when the display is connected or not.

Figures while listening to music on Spotify and writing this post (CPU usage is below 6%)

No display connectedTB display connected
PECI CPU Temp44-46C62-65C
Fan 1 RPM1800-18502300-2400
Fan 2 RPM1600-17002200-2300
Temp sometimes goes above 60 but it does not cause the fans go over 2000 RPM.

I've called Apple. They told me (this was early Dec) that they are not aware of such an issue. After the usual resets they asked me to create a new user and check with that. Was no better, so they offered a replacement.
I got the replacement. Same issue. After 2 days, one of its vents started to make noise (even on idle speed). So I called them again, they offered another replacement.
Now I'm using the third MacBook Pro, and of couse, it has the same issue. And I hope this won't be worse like the previous one.

I'll call them again and tell them that the problem still exists and I'll refer this thread so they will be aware that other people have the same issue.

I was wondering if people with the latest LG Ultrafine 5K display have the same issue? First I thought that this problem is just with this old display (althoug other Macbook models work fine with it). But after reading this thread I am not sure if buying a new display would really solve the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: niho

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Just updating for those who are interested: I have the LG Ultrawide (3440x1440 resolution) and using it HDMI out to an active displayport adapter going into the CalDigit TS3, I have everything working great. Graphics card stays at ~5w, fans are WAY quieter now.

Super freaking weird that my old 27" wouldn't work at 5w when its only 2560x1440.

Idec50

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
TX
Just updating for those who are interested: I have the LG Ultrawide (3440x1440 resolution) and using it HDMI out to an active displayport adapter going into the CalDigit TS3, I have everything working great. Graphics card stays at ~5w, fans are WAY quieter now.

Super freaking weird that my old 27" wouldn't work at 5w when its only 2560x1440.

So you are using something like this? Can you confirm you are getting 60hz? I confess I have no idea why this would give you 5w versus just using displayport into the monitor. Have you tried that? My suspicion is that the new Caldigit firmware may fix this and my old Lention usb-c to hdmi adapter is junk.

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
So you are using something like this? Can you confirm you are getting 60hz? I confess I have no idea why this would give you 5w versus just using displayport into the monitor. Have you tried that? My suspicion is that the new Caldigit firmware may fix this and my old Lention usb-c to hdmi adapter is junk.
That’s the one. No idea either.. Yeah, 60hz. Also, USB-C directly gets 5w too.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands

Not true. MacOS can disable the dedicated GPU if only the regular display is connected. The heat comes from the dedicated GPU that needs to be turned on when connected to an external display, regardless of interface.

Reactions: pneves1975

soiramk

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Greece
Does anyone own this monitor?
I want to buy a 27" 2560x1440 monitor to use with my MacBook Pro 16" and I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to make the connection (in order to have 5w and lower temperatures/fan noise).
If I connect it directly via USB-C cable, is there a way to stop charging through monitor?

In this monitor if I connect it via HDMI using this adapter, do we have any clue about the expected behavior?

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Same problem here.
20% CPU usage but running at around 4ghz and 88 degree??

Core i9 2,3GHz
External 4k monitor

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-07 um 17.44.59.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-07 um 17.44.59.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 377
  • Haha
Reactions: kemo

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
20% of 16 threads implies 3 cores at full tilt. That can cause things to heat up. In your screenshot steam is running full throttle.

Reactions: robvas

axlrod

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
I have a caldigit ts3+, I have an apple thunderbolt display connected via thunderbolt 2 - 3 adapter, and a Dell 1440p 27" connected via displayport.
MBP runs at a steady 60 degrees idle, and radeon is locked at 18watt, thats in clamshell mode, i've tried connecting only the thunderbolt display directly no difference.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vV1-CWMQ short vid of istat during connected/disconnected state.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I put a dual 120 mm AC fan setup in my Amazon cart for my 2014 where the fans run when I am running three particular things. One way to cool things from the outside.

soiramk

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Greece
I have a caldigit ts3+, I have an apple thunderbolt display connected via thunderbolt 2 - 3 adapter, and a Dell 1440p 27" connected via displayport.
MBP runs at a steady 60 degrees idle, and radeon is locked at 18watt, thats in clamshell mode, i've tried connecting only the thunderbolt display directly no difference.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vV1-CWMQ short vid of istat during connected/disconnected state.
You use displayport cable to connect your 27'' Dell at Caldigit TS3+ or directly to MacBook?

I'm looking for a USB-C -> DisplayPort 1.2 cable for a direct connection to the monitor.

xsivke

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
Amazing thread! I have used several hours, testing, trying to find answers to these issues.

This tread is as far as I can see, the most updated/valuable.

Quick Story:
MPB 13" 2017 / 16 / SSD / Catalina (latest beta) / (only left-side USB-C`s)
Left USB-C >> Connected to a Philips 4k Display via USB-C to HDMI
Left USB-C >> Satechi USB-C Multiport >> Connected to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Confirming all the above post, when connected to 4K display, CPU runs HOT and I have issues with KernelProcess/Windowserver utilised over 60% CPU. This is leading to audio glitches in Logic Pro X, Fan Noise +++++ gain all the above posts confirmed.

Some post has mentioned: If you have right side USB-C, try to "spread" connections to those to eliminate heat.

I really need a laptop for my usage, and I need your advice.

- Should I buy (second hand) another 13" that has right side USB-C in order to "spread" connectivity?
- Should I consider a 2560x1440-display instead of 4K? I guess that works?
- As I can read, this issue applies to both 13", 15", and 16" MBPs`- so changing to 15" won't help?
- Should I just Enabling Clamshell, and hope for the best?
- Any clean install of Catalina, any advice towards that?

My biggest pain, as far as I can see - is the WindowServer Process eating all resources.
As I have understood this: This happens because of high temp CPU >> lowering Ghz in which means that WindowServer cannot manage 4k.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Amazing thread! I have used several hours, testing, trying to find answers to these issues.

This tread is as far as I can see, the most updated/valuable.

Quick Story:
MPB 13" 2017 / 16 / SSD / Catalina (latest beta) / (only left-side USB-C`s)
Left USB-C >> Connected to a Philips 4k Display via USB-C to HDMI
Left USB-C >> Satechi USB-C Multiport >> Connected to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Confirming all the above post, when connected to 4K display, CPU runs HOT and I have issues with KernelProcess/Windowserver utilised over 60% CPU. This is leading to audio glitches in Logic Pro X, Fan Noise +++++ gain all the above posts confirmed.

Some post has mentioned: If you have right side USB-C, try to "spread" connections to those to eliminate heat.

I really need a laptop for my usage, and I need your advice.

- Should I buy (second hand) another 13" that has right side USB-C in order to "spread" connectivity?
- Should I consider a 2560x1440-display instead of 4K? I guess that works?
- As I can read, this issue applies to both 13", 15", and 16" MBPs`- so changing to 15" won't help?
- Should I just Enabling Clamshell, and hope for the best?
- Any clean install of Catalina, any advice towards that?

My biggest pain, as far as I can see - is the WindowServer Process eating all resources.
As I have understood this: This happens because of high temp CPU >> lowering Ghz in which means that WindowServer cannot manage 4k.

I have a 2014 MBP 15 and it can get artifacts when running 2xQHD. So I bought a 2015 with discrete graphics and split my workload onto two systems. The 2015 connects to 2xQHD with one workload and runs fine. The 2015 works on another workload which is memory intensive and is hooked up to a 4K monitor and runs fine. The fans do come on on the 2014 but I ordered a dual 120mm external fan solution for it. I wouldn't say that the fan noise is excessive but I can hear it.

I assume that you are running integrated graphics.

The problem with integrated graphics on high-resolution monitors is the architecture of how it works. Integrated graphics uses system RAM for storage so the CPU has to send traffic through the northbridge to get to system RAM which can generate a lot of traffic. Obviously the higher the resolution, the more the traffic. I tended to get video artifacts when I did something memory-intensive. My guess is Northbridge to system RAM contention. Discrete graphics is far more efficient here because you have dedicated RAM and the GPU communicates directly with the RAM. I believe that the commands to the GPU require far less bandwidth than using an iGPU.

So I will go with Discrete GPUs in the future given that I work with 4K and QHD displays.

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
This is what I see with clamshell mode with 2560x1440 monitor. I can see 4-5W but overall radeon is drawing 17W. From clamshell to both displays the difference is on the memory speed, resulting in 5-6W increase.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 13.45.54.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 13.45.54.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 13.46.06.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 13.46.06.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

axlrod

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
You use displayport cable to connect your 27'' Dell at Caldigit TS3+ or directly to MacBook?

I'm looking for a USB-C -> DisplayPort 1.2 cable for a direct connection to the monitor.
No directly in the dock. Displayport can't be connected directly to usb-c/tb it will need a converter of some sort, dongle/dock.
[automerge]1578674828[/automerge]
Anyone who has a problem with an external monitor leave your complaints on the official website https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229?page=14
They don't read any of it, call apple support!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.