Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Apples done good on doubling down on security and leaks. However make no mistake that the 2019 iPhone will have more than better internals and a new operating system
Tim Cook or Tim ‘Apple’ realizes that there has to be a big new feature to sell iPhones besides a 3 lenses camera
Is it s foldable iPhone or an AR ready iPhone we’ll have to wait and see

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apples done good on doubling down on security and leaks. However make no mistake that the 2019 iPhone will have more than better internals and a new operating system
Tim Cook or Tim ‘Apple’ realizes that there has to be a big new feature to sell iPhones besides a 3 lenses camera

I’m confident the 2019 iPhone will have more than just a triple lens camera to offer, but that’s the only _major_ hardware feature rumored that will be introduced this year.

Regardless, I don’t really care so much about the hardware anymore, I’m more inclined to want to see what iOS 13 has to offer for WWDC in June.

As for the iPhone foldable and AR is not ready yet, as it’s been rumored that the AR glasses will be around 2020, and a foldable iPhone, may or may not even happen, which could be years out.

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

At this point, the 2019 iPhone is going to be what it is going to be. Its a bit too late to go "back to the drawing board" for a iterative product launch that is as significant as the iPhone is to Apple. R&D takes time and money, thus why companies spend so much money trying to guess and out innovate each other. The iPhone that we will see in September will be the product of years of research, development, and planning. Even if Apple say the s10 and decided it needed to rapidly pivot (and I am not saying this is the case), we wouldn't see anything major until Q4 2020.

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
Personally I’d rather see Apple stick to what they do best. Release products that work properly. I don’t need rushed innovation, just for the sake of releasing something new. Let Android manufacturers do that and Apple can refine it and release it when it’s ready.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
At this point, the 2019 iPhone is going to be what it is going to be. Its a bit too late to go "back to the drawing board" for a iterative product launch that is as significant as the iPhone is to Apple. R&D takes time and money, thus why companies spend so much money trying to guess and out innovate each other. The iPhone that we will see in September will be the product of years of research, development, and planning. Even if Apple say the s10 and decided it needed to rapidly pivot (and I am not saying this is the case), we wouldn't see anything major until Q4 2020.

I agree with this. R&D and design is final at this point and the point they realized sales sucked was far too late to make changes for 2019.

2019 flagship will have:

-Triple camera (don't care)
-Frosted back glass (ehhh)
-Same size notch (don't care)
-Bilateral charging (don't care)
-True 2nd generation FaceID (this would be great)
-Larger batteries which will likely get eaten by something in the software to deliver the same ol' same ol' battery life (ehhh if it just gets eaten up by software)
-Some indoor positioning/navigation improvements (don't care)
-iOS 13 with dark mode (most phones will get this anyway so don't care)

I also expect a $100 price drop and a 128 GB option, if not the base storage option, which would be nice.

I expect to be wowed in 2020, they are likely working on a nice overhaul for 2020 right now. I might just go buy an Xs today to tide me over until 2020. Hate buying mid cycle, especially at full price, but 2020 seems like it will be a good year to buy and I don't want to keep my current phone for 3 years. But if I buy a 2019 phone, I'm sitting out 2020.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think the 2019 phone will be a great phone, but I'm betting the Xis (max) is going to be killer. Iphone 5 to 5s was "killer". Iphone 6 to 6s was "killer". Ignoring 2017, which was a transitional year the X to Xs again was a "killer" update. Will be interesting to see where the XR goes.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Like BlueGoldAce says, the 2019 phone is likely designed and what it has it what it will have.

I am only expecting another incremental upgrade

2020 is going to be a bit bigger hopefully with 5G

Last edited:

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I am more interested in the new iOS13 more than I am the actual phone. Having just got my Max I am not in the market to shell out more $$$$ for another phone yet. The deal breaker would be my mom. If she tells me she wants a newer phone then I will cave in and get two new devices. But she is set on not having to set up a new iPhone any longer.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Let’s see what Apple would do. I’m interested how the A13 will perform.
Triple camera seems to be a given, at least on the Max phone.

As for prices, Apple rarely drops prices per se. What they might do is maybe offer 128GB at the same price as current 64GB.

What I want to see is the 2019 XR, or whatever Apple might call it. I hope it gets an ultra wide angle camera instead of telephoto lens (it can already do portrait photos with single lens).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Since you seem to know what is going to happen, maybe you can tell me. Will the 2019 iPhone remove the camera bump on the back?

If not, I really don't care what it's got, because I won't be buying it. Again.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I agree with this. R&D and design is final at this point and the point they realized sales sucked was far too late to make changes for 2019.

2019 flagship will have:

-Triple camera (don't care)
-Frosted back glass (ehhh)
-Same size notch (don't care)
-Bilateral charging (don't care)
-True 2nd generation FaceID (this would be great)
-Larger batteries which will likely get eaten by something in the software to deliver the same ol' same ol' battery life (ehhh if it just gets eaten up by software)
-Some indoor positioning/navigation improvements (don't care)
-iOS 13 with dark mode (most phones will get this anyway so don't care)

I also expect a $100 price drop and a 128 GB option, if not the base storage option, which would be nice.

I expect to be wowed in 2020, they are likely working on a nice overhaul for 2020 right now. I might just go buy an Xs today to tide me over until 2020. Hate buying mid cycle, especially at full price, but 2020 seems like it will be a good year to buy and I don't want to keep my current phone for 3 years. But if I buy a 2019 phone, I'm sitting out 2020.
Ding ding ding! All rumors are pointing towards these features and it's too late for any last minute changes for the 2019 iPhone. And as tight of a ship as Apple tries to run, stuff still gets leaked and over the past several years we've had a pretty good idea of what the iPhones will offer ahead of their announcements, spec-, design-, and hardware-wise.

I'll be holding on to my 8+ for another year and hope the 2020 iPhone entices me to upgrade.

Reactions: puma1552

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
No Qualcomm chip no phone for me. Burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I might just go buy an Xs today to tide me over until 2020. Hate buying mid cycle, especially at full price, but 2020 seems like it will be a good year to buy and I don't want to keep my current phone for 3 years. But if I buy a 2019 phone, I'm sitting out 2020.

This is exactly what I did. My 6s was running out of memory so I sold it for $250 and got an Xs last month. I don't feel the 2019 iPhone will entice me to upgrade and I don't like to buy the first run model of any phone. That means it's 2021 for my next phone. I'm extremely happy with the Xs. It's an amazing phone, even if it is very expensive.

Reactions: puma1552

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I expect the 2019 iPhone to not be worth my while. For those who pay for phones outright and own a 2018 iPhone, I think you're better off saving for a 5g model in 2020. 2 major OS updates later and the 2018 iPhones should be still be rock solid at that time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What I want to see is the 2019 XR, or whatever Apple might call it. I hope it gets an ultra wide angle camera instead of telephoto lens (it can already do portrait photos with single lens).

The thing about the XR, is a two-fold situation. If Apple updates it, (which I expect they will), it likely won’t see _that_ many changes with hardware (Other than the dual camera rumored), because that would only increase the price point, which Apple needs to have a differentiator to keep that phone relatively priced At $750.00. The only update I expect for the XR would be an additional color, maybe an updated IP68 rating, the dual camera, and improved software features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.