Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oncilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
We have 2 2020 imacs. Both are i7 8-core models with 2tb SSD and 64 gb of RAM. One has the 5500 XT graphics card while the other has the 5700 XT 16gb.

The 5500 XT has been suffering from constant kernel panics. At least 1x a week but sometimes 3x in a single day. The only way to make it stop is to unplug the external monitor. We have tried multiple cables and multiple monitors, but still get kernel panic crashes.The same monitor does not cause any issue on the other imac with the 5700 xt graphics card. The 5700 xt iMac has never had a kernel panic.

These computers are used for work. Applications are pretty standard, Adobe CC, Sonos, Spotify, a font manager. Crashes can happen with an Adobe app open, just browsing Safari, or while the computer is asleep! So no correlation there.

Apple support has been pretty useless. They had us go through all the usual steps. Installed big sur. Took it in to the Apple store but it didn't crash withing the 24 hours that they held it so the had us do a complete wipe and reinstall of everything. That did nothing, it crashed again 2 days later. I found it interesting that the genius bar had zero interest in looking at our crash reports to help diagnose the problem. I guess it wasn't part of the script.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, were you able to find a solution?

I realize most people don't need a second monitor, but we do graphics work and the screen real estate is essential.

Reactions: JauMac and MrYellow

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I would recommend running an intense GPU stress test on the machine *without* any external monitors plugged in. Something that testes all aspects of the GPU from memory to rasteriser to compute kernels and all.
Just to make sure that the issue is not just that the second monitor puts pressure on some part of the GPU that’s actually defective that just usually isn’t touched with 1 monitor

DrAusters

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
I have the same issue which has developed within the last couple of weeks. I have:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 450 2 GB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

It crashes when using video conferencing with Google Meets or Twilio-based webRTC. Happens if I have one or two additional displays plugged in. Haven't had the issue with them unplugged (yet).

MrYellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
Having a similar issue.

2020 imac
i7 8-core
5700 XT 16gb
128gb ram from OWC

I don't use a second monitor like OP.
I do use Adobe CC

Frequent kernel panics. 1-4 times a week.

It's hard to tell exactly what's causing them, because they seem to be almost random at at any time, even if the system is idling. Have not been able to replicate them on command so far (Apple has trouble understanding this).

I think they happen more frequently if I'm doing tasks that involve video playback ?. After Effects, video meetings, YouTube, if I'm running OBS with several sources. But again it's hard to say because there doesn't appear to be any pattern for when a panic will happen.

Apple support have been ineffectual, no one wants to (or is able to) review crash logs or reports, just standard update and reinstall nonsense, then go away until it happens again, which it always does.

I've benchmarked CPU, GPU, and memory to try and force a panic, and all performed very well.
I was worried that a bad OWC memory stick could be causing it, but I've found no evidence of that so far.

I've read something about Adobe hardware acceleration causing kernel panics, but I've had it happen when the only thing running was Chrome with Google meet.

Really want a solution, as I need this computer to be able to reliably make it through live presentations, webinars, broadcast, etc.

DrAusters

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
I subsequently noticed this seemed to be occurring when I had Adobe XD open and I seemed to trigger it one of the times with an action in XD.

I have upgraded to Big Sur and the latest XD version and am yet to have the problem occur again.

Reactions: oncilla

MrYellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
I subsequently noticed this seemed to be occurring when I had Adobe XD open and I seemed to trigger it one of the times with an action in XD.

I have upgraded to Big Sur and the latest XD version and am yet to have the problem occur again.
Latest update seemed to reduce the frequency, but not stop them completely for me.

oncilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
An update. We took our imac to a different Genius bar and got a more thoughtful and kind tech. He reviewed the crash logs and authorized a repair of the logic board. All of our many crash reports pointed to a cpu error.

After installing the new logicboard, he ran diagnostics and still got an error related to overheating, so he tried replacing the fan, and then the back housing. The error kept happening after both repairs, so they ordered a brand new replacement iMac, which we picked up last night. Was super grateful that they really tried hard to solve the problem and make things right. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the end of the story.

Just started using the replacement imac today, barely installed anything on it, and got the same kernal panic while having a 2nd monitor plugged in! Going to give the genius bar another call this afternoon.
?

MrYellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
An update. We took our imac to a different Genius bar and got a more thoughtful and kind tech. He reviewed the crash logs and authorized a repair of the logic board. All of our many crash reports pointed to a cpu error.

After installing the new logicboard, he ran diagnostics and still got an error related to overheating, so he tried replacing the fan, and then the back housing. The error kept happening after both repairs, so they ordered a brand new replacement iMac, which we picked up last night. Was super grateful that they really tried hard to solve the problem and make things right. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the end of the story.

Just started using the replacement imac today, barely installed anything on it, and got the same kernal panic while having a 2nd monitor plugged in! Going to give the genius bar another call this afternoon.
?
You have the same story I've read from others with this issue.

The 2020 imacs might just be a batch of lemons. Or the OS is mishandling the hardware related to visual processing, I've never hooked a second monitor up to mine, but it does seem to happen more during video playback or editing.

Apple will probably keep ignoring these cases, not admit to it being a widespread issue, then quietly fix it in an update 18 months from now.

Reactions: oncilla

oncilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Curiously, Just had it kernal panic without an external monitor but using sidecar to an ipad (which I was trying out as a bandaid solution). I'm guessing that sidecar maybe taxes the gpu just as much as an external monitor?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just providing this for FYI purposes only. :)

I have a refurb 2020 with a 5700 (non-XT) and I use an ASUS 27" QHD gaming monitor with it all day in both macOS and Windows 10 (BootCamp) and never had an issue. It is connected to the iMac using a USB-C to HDMI cable made by Plugable.

My CPU is the i7 and I am using 32GB of third-party RAM.

Reactions: MrYellow

oncilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
After another trip to the apple store, they say that they were unable to "replicate the issue", and that I need to talk with Adobe, because their diagnostics don't show any hardware faults.

Though the logs say otherwise, and that the computer did in fact shutdown while at the Apple store. It's had kernel panics 1-3x a day since it came back from the Genius Bar. Digging into the logs gives an error code that suggest the T2 chip could be the cause. Lots of threads on Apple Support forums blaming T2 chip for Kernel panics going back several years. It's so weird that they don't even acknowledge that there could be any hardware fault.

I am really disappointed in Apple at this point. I've been buying Macs for years because they just work. Not really sure where to go from here.

Reactions: JauMac

oncilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Adobe support remoted in to reinstall Photoshop and Bridge, and the computer had a kernel panic again about an hour later.

I find it very strange that the replacement 2020 iMac has the exact same problem, and yet, Apple denies that there is any issue at all.

MrYellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
After another trip to the apple store, they say that they were unable to "replicate the issue", and that I need to talk with Adobe, because their diagnostics don't show any hardware faults.

Though the logs say otherwise, and that the computer did in fact shutdown while at the Apple store. It's had kernel panics 1-3x a day since it came back from the Genius Bar. Digging into the logs gives an error code that suggest the T2 chip could be the cause. Lots of threads on Apple Support forums blaming T2 chip for Kernel panics going back several years. It's so weird that they don't even acknowledge that there could be any hardware fault.

I am really disappointed in Apple at this point. I've been buying Macs for years because they just work. Not really sure where to go from here.
If the T2 is to blame it would explain why my last imac was so stable, and this one isn't.

2020 refresh is the first imac to have T2 (not including Pro).

1635713105750.png

Has anyone had kernel panic since updating to Monterey?

enamic5

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Hello.

Just adding to this.
I replaced my 6-year-old iMac with a hard disc problem with a new iMac 27" 2020, 3.8 i7, 64GB RAM AMD Radeon Pro 5500XT 8GB.
I am using this with my old Thunderbolt display, and since I upgraded my Mac, and especially since installing Monterey, I also get 3 - 4 Kernel panics a day. As many have observed - it is hard to pinpoint the cause. I initially thought it was my Wacom, but looks like it is the second screen after all.
It is really annoying, and a solution would be great. I have yet to call Apple... as I was hoping it would go away with a software or system update.

a screen shot of one of today's panic reports is here –

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 18 Nov, 12.25.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 18 Nov, 12.25.57.png
    710.6 KB · Views: 312

JauMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain

I bought three Imac 27 "2020 i7 Radeon 5500 computers at the end of August and I'm having the same problems. I work with After Effects, Photoshop and the kernel loos and spontaneous reboots are between 6 and 10 times a day.

I took one of the computers to the AppleStore, and they changed my motherboard, but it didn't fix anything.

I've been working with original Apple RAM and it hasn't worked either.

MrYellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
I bought three Imac 27 "2020 i7 Radeon 5500 computers at the end of August and I'm having the same problems. I work with After Effects, Photoshop and the kernel loos and spontaneous reboots are between 6 and 10 times a day.

I took one of the computers to the AppleStore, and they changed my motherboard, but it didn't fix anything.

I've been working with original Apple RAM and it hasn't worked either.
Do you use an external monitor with them at all?

Some seem to be able to narrow down the panics to when a monitor is connected. But I've never used a monitor with mine and get them.

MrYellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
Update:
Kernal panics and reboots have not been too bad lately. But just yesterday I had one, when the only thing running was a FaceTime call.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Does everyone reporting in with KP issues have Adobe software installed? Or had installed and then the KPs started?

I noticed a couple of people reporting the issue say the have Adobe applications installed (whether or not they see the KP when actually using the software).

Is it possible that there might be some relationship? I notice that Adobe CC likes to install plenty of "helper" applications and was wondering if maybe one of them was a suspect. (I installed Photoshop Elements as a trial to test something, didn't like it, and uninstalled it and noticed there was still Adobe-related apps left over that I also had to uninstall.)

JVKay

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
I've been having the kernel panic shutdowns since Feb 2021 when I bought this new iMac, 27" 2020, 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9, Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB gfx, Catalina OS. The system crashes only when I use Avid Media Composer. I think it may have crashed once around the time I bought it when using Adobe CC, but I removed all Adobe CC related items long ago thinking that was part of the problem, but it still crashed. I've replaced RAM but still get crashes. I've spoken to Avid numerous times but none of their solutions worked. I've been a NY based editor working on Avid for many decades.

Just yesterday I removed the second monitor and now I'm running my Avid MC on just the iMac. So far, so good. But it can sometimes be several days between crashes so way too early to tell yet. If it were definitely the 5500 card and a second monitor causing the crashes I might be willing to get a new iMac with a diff gfx card, but if it still crashed I'd be very upset. If it stays solid I'll decide my next move.

JVKay

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
So far so good w/ the 2nd monitor removed. I had Adobe CC for awhile as mentioned above. I removed everything from Adobe that I could, but I think there may be a few more Adobe things lurking about. I'd really like to keep this thread alive as it seems we all have pretty much the same situation but no real answers or fixes.

I spoke to a pro video salesperson today at B&H photo - he has been trying his best helping me out. He was wondering if a different second monitor would resolve the issue. I may try it just to see as I was assured I could return the new monitor if the crashes resumed.

JauMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Do you use an external monitor with them at all?

Some seem to be able to narrow down the panics to when a monitor is connected. But I've never used a monitor with mine and get them.
We worked with a second monitor, but when we discovered that removing it stopped restarting, the joy did not last long, as with a single monitor and intensive work of After Effects also failed.

JauMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Does everyone reporting in with KP issues have Adobe software installed? Or had installed and then the KPs started?

I noticed a couple of people reporting the issue say the have Adobe applications installed (whether or not they see the KP when actually using the software).

Is it possible that there might be some relationship? I notice that Adobe CC likes to install plenty of "helper" applications and was wondering if maybe one of them was a suspect. (I installed Photoshop Elements as a trial to test something, didn't like it, and uninstalled it and noticed there was still Adobe-related apps left over that I also had to uninstall.)
There are also several cases of the same problem with the same computer in the AVID community, and they do not have Adobe software. It's a matter of graphic stress

JVKay

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
There are also several cases of the same problem with the same computer in the AVID community, and they do not have Adobe software. It's a matter of graphic stress the Radeon 5500 card is the sole culprit?
Meaning that the Radeon 5500 is the root cause of the kernel panics?

depesperatemacuser

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
So I see that I am not the only one with this issue.

I just had to most arrogant and rude Apple advisor push on me that my monitor was the issue yet I've used it on a different mac and it's always been working wonderfully!

I too have a iMac 2020 i7 with the MD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB. and I have experience these crashes for a while when I have the 2nd monitor but that advisor refused to believe that it was an issue with the mac itself. Always our fault, never theirs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.