Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128kb

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
Same experience here with a 2020 27" i9 and a Radeon Pro 5500 XT. For two years I experienced sporadic but recurring crashes whenever I used a second monitor (27" LG 4k, connected with a DP to Thunderbolt cable). I bought the D6000 dock about a month ago and the crashes ceased.
Interestingly, I just had a crash one day after updating to Ventura 13.2.1. Hoping it's not the start of a trend.

geology

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Interestingly, I just had a crash one day after updating to Ventura 13.2.1. Hoping it's not the start of a trend.
Any updates on this? I'm still on Monterey, but was thinking of updating to Ventura soon. Maybe not...

128kb

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
Any updates on this? I'm still on Monterey, but was thinking of updating to Ventura soon. Maybe not...
To date it was just that one time, immediately after the 13.2.1 update. I shut down and unplugged everything, reset the SMC, and so far it hasn't happened again.

Reactions: geology

128kb

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
To date it was just that one time, immediately after the 13.2.1 update. I shut down and unplugged everything, reset the SMC, and so far it hasn't happened again.
I can't believe it -- it just crashed again today. This is just heartbreaking. I'm just about at my wit's end with this computer.

geology

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
I can't believe it -- it just crashed again today. This is just heartbreaking. I'm just about at my wit's end with this computer.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe I'll hold off on Ventura a bit longer. This whole thing has really felt like a driver issue from the beginning, and it is beyond maddening that Apple hasn't corrected it.

v8raun

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Has someone with this problem tried to replicate the crashes when using windows via bootcamp using the newest AMD drivers? If it doesn't under windows it should be a software/driver problem of MacOS and not a hardware problem. At the moment I am not able to install windows via bootcamp, but would be interesting if someone tried this.

geology

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Did anyone ever solve this?
I think the closest thing to a solution is using some sort of docking station between the iMac and the second monitor. I've been running mine with the Dell D6000 docking station for close to a year now without a single crash.

@128kb mentioned that upgrading to Ventura had potentially caused the issue to resume, so I held off on that for a long time but did upgrade last week, and so far so good. Other's have mentioned that plugging an external drive into the docking station along with the 2nd monitor seems to cause the issue to resume, so I've been using the station purely for the monitor this whole time. Feels like a waste, but a lot less of a waste than the malfunctioning system was prior to this.

@v8raun I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has tried this. I haven't and simply don't have the time, but it would be nice to know whether it was a driver problem all along or not.

128kb

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
I think the closest thing to a solution is using some sort of docking station between the iMac and the second monitor. I've been running mine with the Dell D6000 docking station for close to a year now without a single crash.

@128kb mentioned that upgrading to Ventura had potentially caused the issue to resume, so I held off on that for a long time but did upgrade last week, and so far so good. Other's have mentioned that plugging an external drive into the docking station along with the 2nd monitor seems to cause the issue to resume, so I've been using the station purely for the monitor this whole time. Feels like a waste, but a lot less of a waste than the malfunctioning system was prior to this.

@v8raun I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has tried this. I haven't and simply don't have the time, but it would be nice to know whether it was a driver problem all along or not.
My iMac still crashes reliably about once a week using the Dell D6000 dock, and I had my first crash under Sonoma this morning. It seems like it's gotten worse over time, which could be related to updates to the dock's DisplayLink drivers.

I need a computer with multi-monitor support, and this iMac simply does not work in that capacity -- I've resigned myself to getting rid of it and replacing it. It's still covered by AppleCare+ but from some of the other posts in this forum, that sounds like pursuing a claim will only result in more aggravation and lost time, not in a solution.

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I recently switched from a 2015 iMac to a 2020 iMac (base Model), maybe been about 6 months. I got this as an even trade with my 2015 iMac plus a Macbook, so it really cost me next to nothing to get. I added 32gb of OWC RAM.

I did extend the AppleCare+ when it expired in September for $59 bucks. I've had some Kernel panics with GPU not found and "userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from WindowServer".

I was thinking of bringing to the Apple Store, but are you saying this is NOT a failing logic board? This is a driver issue? Should I dump this machine and move to a 2019 iMac instead, are those more reliable? I really just took this one because my 2015 had the pink hue issue and of course was stuck on Monterey. I'm now on Sonoma with this and it runs fantastic, other than very occasional crash. Last 2 have been while it was asleep.

I do run a Dell 43" 4k display as well as I have some external hard drives plugged in, that's it. do nothing special on this other than run Microsoft Office apps, Outlook, Teams, and Citrix to remote into a virtual machine all day, everyday.

I guess since I have the 43" display, I can just get a Mac mini?? I don't know, I still like having the retina 5k display by it's side, with built in speakers, camera etc.. I have a M1 MacBook Air, it runs great as well, but I don't want a laptop to run my main machine.

Last edited:

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
So I see that I am not the only one with this issue.

I just had to most arrogant and rude Apple advisor push on me that my monitor was the issue yet I've used it on a different mac and it's always been working wonderfully!

I too have a iMac 2020 i7 with the MD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB. and I have experience these crashes for a while when I have the 2nd monitor but that advisor refused to believe that it was an issue with the mac itself. Always our fault, never theirs.
My iMac was f**ky with an old HDMI monitor, an old DisplayPort monitor, but works fine with an LG UltraFine thunderbolt USB-C monitor.

werckie

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
I have the same issue with my iMac 2020. It run just fine for over 3 years, and all of a sudden the same setup caused my computer to crash. The only way to stop it from crashing is to disconnect the external monitor. First I thoguht it might be my almost 20-year old Apple Cinema display, so I bought a new BenQ monitor at a certified Apple store, connected it with a new HDMI cable from the same store, and exactly the same problem happens. I hear that many users have solved the issue using the Dell D6000 dock. Could you please confirm if the issue has permanantly solved by this?

geology

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Yes, the Dell D6000 dock has completely solved the problem for me. I've been using it for about a year and a half now without a single crash.

A few people have warned that using the dock for anything but the external monitor can start the crashes up again, so I've avoided plugging anything else into it, which is frustrating when I need additional ports. But I spent enough time on the issue and don't want to go back down that road.

Check eBay. I found my D6000 (in like-new condition) for a lot cheaper than a brand-new one.

Reactions: werckie

werckie

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
Yes, the Dell D6000 dock has completely solved the problem for me. I've been using it for about a year and a half now without a single crash.

A few people have warned that using the dock for anything but the external monitor can start the crashes up again, so I've avoided plugging anything else into it, which is frustrating when I need additional ports. But I spent enough time on the issue and don't want to go back down that road.

Check eBay. I found my D6000 (in like-new condition) for a lot cheaper than a brand-new one.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond Geology. Interesting (and disappointing) that you shouldn't plug in anything else to the dock, I was already looking forward to having a decent hub. But like you, I already spent too much time and money on this to risk more crashes.

Just ordered a reconditioned one and can't wait to get it delivered!

geology

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
Good luck! If you run into anything interesting, report back here. There are a LOT of people who have had this problem, unfortunately.

werckie

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
Reporting back after a few days of working with the Dell Dock D6000: it works perfectly, both with the new screen though normal HDMI cable, and also with my old Cinema Display, connecting it to the Dock via a DVI to HDMI adaptor. The brightness seems a little low (on maximum setting), but the quality and resolution of the image is still much better than the new BenQ screen that I bought, so I will return it and keep using the Cinema Display until it gives up on me.

I didn't have a single shutdown since connecting the dock. I purchased a refurbished one for 130€ and an adaptor for around 10€.

Reactions: geology
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.