Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like Razer rolled out the latest update. I was worried about this when I purchased mine, but after seeing the specs, I'm happy that I didn't wait, I have everything I need or want in the my 2019 model

The improvements include an 8th core 10th gen cpu, using the RTX2080 Super Max-Q, a 300Hz display and upping the storage to 1TB, which is long over due. What's disappointing, is the base model, is not using the vapor chamber, only the advanced.

I don't see the price, but given the faster display, 8 cores processor, and the RTX2080 Super, its probably going to be north of 3,000

New Razer Blade

1585830633550.png

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
do we already know if these 10th gen H CPUs are an actual improvement or is it more like the last refresh?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
do we already know if these 10th gen H CPUs are an actual improvement or is it more like the last refresh?
Yeah, I waffle between it being a more robust update and jus a spec update.

Reactions: grmlin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It looks like they fixed the right shift and /? locations to be traditional. Not for nothing but that is one of my pet peaves for this model, but since I remapped the keys its tolerable

Reactions: kazmac

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I’m scared for the thermals on this chip, especially with Razer’s history
My experience has been quite positive and it seems their recent reputation from the past couple of years has been that the vapor chamber works exceedingly well. With that said, that's why I'm surprised they opted for heat pipes for the base model. I just get the feeling they're cutting corners there.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
i had a 2019 advanced model for awhile with the 2070 max-q. No company is going to cool that processor in a slim design like the razer enough to push full power limits with no throttling. It is always a compromise and balance between the thermal needs of the cpu and gpu. the important thing is that it be able to push both to the edge without major performance hits. The blade i had was brilliant at gaming but throttled just like every other laptop will.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Any idea why none of the business devices Or MacBooks uses a cooling solution like that? It seems to work quite well, while the others don’t.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
theres no magic. it offers some small improvement over traditional heat pipes but the real difference is that fact that it is about half an inch thicker across the entire depth of the chassis over an XPS or mbp, thus allowing a larger cooling solution and better airflow.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Any idea why none of the business devices Or MacBooks uses a cooling solution like that? It seems to work quite well, while the others don’t.
Good question, though I do believe the 2019 MBP does a great job at providing cooling technology, albeit using a different philosophy

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
theres no magic. it offers some small improvement over traditional heat pipes but the real difference is that fact that it is about half an inch thicker across the entire depth of the chassis over an XPS or mbp, thus allowing a larger cooling solution and better airflow.
Really where is the extra 1/2" 1.27cm ?

MacBook Pro 16" (2019) has a depth of .64” (1.62 cm), width of 14.09” (35.79 cm), height of 9.68” (24.59 cm)

MacBook Pro 15" (4th Gen) has a depth of . 61” (1.55 cm), width of 13.75” (34.93 cm), height of 9.48” (24.07 cm)

Dell XPS 15" Height: 0.45"-0.66" (1.1cm-1.7cm) | 2. Width: 14.06" (35.7cm) | 3. Depth: 9.7" (23.5cm)

Razer Blade 15 Size: 13.98 x 9.25 x 0.70 inches (35.5 x 23.5 x 1.78cm; W x D x H)

Some business laptops are much thicker

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You mean the 16“? My 15“ 2019 is hot garbage.
No, I meant both. I can't speak about your experience but it seems many people are pleased with the thermal performance of the 2019 MBP, both the 15" and 16" Granted the 16" improved upon the 15" but the 2019 model seemed to handle the heat a lot better then the 2018 - at least that seems to be what others are stating. I've been removed from the mac scene so long that I don't have much experience with these later models.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
@maflynn

You bought Blade 15 with optical keyboard switches?
Since you owned X1E, what's your opinion on that keyboard when compared to X1E keyboard?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
No, I meant both. I can't speak about your experience but it seems many people are pleased with the thermal performance of the 2019 MBP, both the 15" and 16" Granted the 16" improved upon the 15" but the 2019 model seemed to handle the heat a lot better then the 2018 - at least that seems to be what others are stating. I've been removed from the mac scene so long that I don't have much experience with these later models.
It holds its base clock, so that’s good I guess. No thermal throttling afaik.
but the cpu runs hot, and if the GPU has work to do, too, the cooling isn’t sufficient. Fans are running almost constantly for me during work. And they get annoyingly loud. They even ramp up to annoying levels watching a YouTube video. One of the main reasons I want to switch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
@maflynn

You bought Blade 15 with optical keyboard switches?
Since you owned X1E, what's your opinion on that keyboard when compared to X1E keyboard?
Yeah, I have the optical keyboard. The Thinkpad's keyboard is superior, there seems to be more travel and the curved keycaps is a nice feature. The razer's keys seem a bit more clicky, something that I find a bit bothersome, and the layout with the right shift is another annoyance but I did re-map the ? key so, that's a work able solution

What the Razer's keyboard has going for it, is the backlighting, I don't just mean color selection but superior backlighting in general. I found the Thinkpad's backlighting to be inadequate.

I don't hate the razer's keyboard but I was spoiled with the Thinkpad's

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
What the Razer's keyboard has going for it, is the backlighting, I don't just mean color selection but superior backlighting in general. I found the Thinkpad's backlighting to be inadequate.

I don't hate the razer's keyboard but I was spoiled with the Thinkpad's

I saw the backlight on Razer Blade, and I agree completely with your findings. It is superior.
I'm on XMG for the time being, and I have the keyboard issue. After display, keyboard is my most important thing on any laptop.
I got lucky with my XMG, display is awesome, almost no backlight bleed at all. And no coil whine also, fans are rather silent... Laptop is excellent.

Only issue I have is the keyboard. It's mechanical, and I always use mechanical keyboards when I'm not using laptop built in keyboards. But this one simply doesn't cut it for me. Backlighting on XMG is awesome, and keyboard is way better then on Razer (non optical), with the best possible keyboard layout.

But I hate it. It's mushy when compared to thinkpad keyboards, and all sorts of other things.
I'm considering returning it, if it is even possible. Just because of the keyboard.

Thank you for your reply. In case I do return it, I'm not gonna risk it. Will purchase X1E all over again :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
It holds its base clock, so that’s good I guess. No thermal throttling afaik.
but the cpu runs hot, and if the GPU has work to do, too, the cooling isn’t sufficient. Fans are running almost constantly for me during work. And they get annoyingly loud. They even ramp up to annoying levels watching a YouTube video. One of the main reasons I want to switch.

One of the things that turned me off Apple's MBP; Apple is all too wiling to leave significant performance on the table for those that need. Turbo Boost has changed significantly over the years, any competent system should be capable of holding reasonable boost clocks for sustained periods of time, even my diminutive UMPC can hold boost frequencies well over it's base clock speed.

Is all just a kop out by Apple, 16" MBP should be capable of running multiple displays as advertised without issue, especially given the sales and marketing of the product. IMO MBP should be capable of 75% of Turbo for sustained periods and not turn into a helicopter if an external monitor is added to the equation, let alone if you want it to do anything...

Q-6

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
My biggest problem with the current MacBooks... the second you do something that's not watching a static text or maybe some light office work: fans go wild. When I start my development environment and do nothing, the CPU sits at 70°C minimum. Whatever I do after that, reloading a webpage, switching spaces, whatever: 99°C and fans go ham. And at some point this thing is so heated up internally, that it gets worse and worse.

It's absolutely terrible and I hate it. :/

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.