Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
My biggest problem with the current MacBooks... the second you do something that's not watching a static text or maybe some light office work: fans go wild. When I start my development environment and do nothing, the CPU sits at 70°C minimum. Whatever I do after that, reloading a webpage, switching spaces, whatever: 99°C and fans go ham. And at some point this thing is so heated up internally, that it gets worse and worse.

It's absolutely terrible and I hate it. :/

Such a waste of the i9, spec for spec sake. I'd far rather Apple offered a more diverse range, not basically versions of the same MacBook Air. Like as not Apple gathers metrics on the usage and designs accordingly. I simply gave up and now use rerolled gaming notebooks, as they are designed for heavy usage, generally don't excessively overheat or throttle. MBP has just become a visual statement more than anything else.

This Asus can sit at 100% full clock speed and not break 80C once the fans have spooled up as long as needs be. In normal use it never heats excessively, only when you throw everything at it even then the cooling solution will bring temps down. Apple likes the kudos of the "Pro" name and the associated halo effect, equally it's purely sales & marketing spin these days. If Razer was more sensibly priced and had better support in my region I'd opt for one, as would make the MBP look like a toy...

Q-6

Reactions: SteveJUAE

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Apple is all too wiling to leave significant performance on the table for those that need.
I don't mind that in all honesty and I think most consumers don't even know that apple is playing the conservative game. I do like Apple's approach and for my needs, I think a slightly slower but cooler machine works well for me. Apple struggled with the 2016 - 2018 in cooling the MBP in such a thin enclosure but they finally found a good balance in the 2019 models (both the 15" and 16").

There's other aspects that have turned me off on the MBP, such as reduced quality, cutting corners to save a buck, forcing people to over-buy because everything is glued/soldered on and finally needing/wanting to run windows.

Its funny, but over the past few years, I got the feeling that macOS tuned into this blunt/dull tool that made it hard for me to get my work done, whereas windows flexibility allowed me to hone how and what I do.

Reactions: Queen6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I don't mind that in all honesty and I think most consumers don't even know that apple is playing the conservative game. I do like Apple's approach and for my needs, I think a slightly slower but cooler machine works well for me. Apple struggled with the 2016 - 2018 in cooling the MBP in such a thin enclosure but they finally found a good balance in the 2019 models (both the 15" and 16").

There's other aspects that have turned me off on the MBP, such as reduced quality, cutting corners to save a buck, forcing people to over-buy because everything is glued/soldered on and finally needing/wanting to run windows.

Its funny, but over the past few years, I got the feeling that macOS tuned into this blunt/dull tool that made it hard for me to get my work done, whereas windows flexibility allowed me to hone how and what I do.
Agreed as most of Apple owners are just normal consumers as long as its shiny with a logo and does email and internet its enough and are oblivious to many issues

Apple long left the discerning or pro behind as they represent such a small portion on business

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium

Completely agree with you on the hardware side.

I'm wondering what I'm missing out on. OK, window management is easier on Windows and the side-by-side view on macOS is limited. Also, Microsoft apps are on a different level on Windows, but that's hardly the fault of macOS. But aside from that, there are either things I don't know about or that I don't miss. So looking forward to hearing what you find easier/less blunt in Windows? It's a sincere question. I've been trying Windows again the last few months and I didn't really get that impression. But I admit I was focusing on trying to get WSL etc running, not so much on the GUI.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015

I only used a MBP from 2014 before, so I have no comparison, but the 2016-2018 models were even worse than the 2019 I have? wow
[automerge]1586266495[/automerge]
Completely agree with you on the hardware side.

I'm wondering what I'm missing out on. OK, window management is easier on Windows and the side-by-side view on macOS is limited. Also, Microsoft apps are on a different level on Windows, but that's hardly the fault of macOS. But aside from that, there are either things I don't know about or that I don't miss. So looking forward to hearing what you find easier/less blunt in Windows? It's a sincere question. I've been trying Windows again the last few months and I didn't really get that impression. But I admit I was focusing on trying to get WSL etc running, not so much on the GUI.
Window management on MacOS is an absolute disaster if you ask me. And no, an additional popup when you hover the + button isn't nearly enough.

And while Microsoft does their best to open up Windows for the typical MacOS audience (WSL, Linux kernel shipped with it etc), Apple does nothing. We got a dark mode, an iOS like launchpad and Siri.
Great :/

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Window management on MacOS is an absolute disaster if you ask me. And no, an additional popup when you hover the + button isn't nearly enough.

By default, it's a complete joke on Mac OS.
But a small app called Breeze is awesome. It's the kind of app I never found for Windows or Linux. You can make it that it saves even your window position, and assign a keyboard shortcut to almost anything.

Windows 10 is way better in window management by default then Mac OS. Not even a comparison. But still, not better then Linux. For example, often when I use keyboard shortcut for positioning app left or right, there are weird glitches where app simply refuses to comply. I have to make the app full screen, then do left/right again.

Linux distros with gnome are awesome in window management. KDE is great as well, but there are simply way too many options when I tried to customize my shortcuts. And they all have similar names. Sometimes having more options is not that great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.