Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I like the throwback days when I started with the much older G3, G4 and white polycarbonate iMacs - the black bezels were too boring after these many years on my 2011-2019 MBP, MBA, 2011 27" Thunderbolt, 2008-2019 iMac, etc...

I for one will be pre-ordering the silver iMac base and add my Ethernet dongle and TB3-2 dongle for my 27" Thunderbolt which I love so dearly...

Nice to go back in time and relive my younger years with a white/gray bezel iMac ...
Guess I am stuck in the old days ???

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
I think they dropped the front logo because the design is now recognizable enough that they dont need to advertise their brand. Also the "chin" being retained is to maintain some design continuity from the past. Making it look like a giant iPad is too easy.

Reactions: 4sallypat

xXRainKingXx

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
Yeah as much as I dislike the white bezels (mostly for the arguably worse functionality), the black bezels make the new design look almost identical to the outgoing design.
And suddenly it looks a bit better (still ruined by the colour), which tells you they went backwards with the design.

• Haha
Reactions: calstanford

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I actually think the white looks better. I don’t understand everyone’s obsession with black it’s boring looking.

plus it wouldn’t go with the more colourful design.
Agree - the black bezel would clash with the new lighter pastel colors...
I for one love the light colored bezel to match with the blue casing...

The iMac Pro when it gets released, I would venture to say that it will be darker like space gray and black bezels ????

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
From a more functional perspective I think the lighter bezels will make on-screen content pop more, well the perceived black floor will be lower at least. So it’s good from that perspective. I wish the insipid metal colours were full on like the back and sides though.

onlyforbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
1619023950173.png

Can't wait for when this one comes out hopefully with M1x. I'm really hoping for a return of the apple logo

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I actually think the white looks better. I don’t understand everyone’s obsession with black it’s boring looking.

plus it wouldn’t go with the more colourful design.
All of the mockups feel dreary compared to what Apple released. I'm even more surprised by the fact that people are asking for an Apple logo to be put in front of their face. I'm really glad Apple went a different way with this one.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Can one of you Photoshop nerds PRETTY PLEASE do a mockup of a saturated red chin/stand with black bezels? I'd love to see what the looks like. (also orange, if possible)

This machine would've been a total home run for me had they ditched the two-tone pastel scheme and gone with nothing bold colors + black bezels. Here's what I wish they would've done instead. (disclaimer: graphic design is not my passion)

View attachment 1760955
Ah, the exclusive “South Park” edition! ?

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
I think the only reason they went for the white bezels is that it works better with the pastel-colored front. If there was no chin, or the color wasn't pastel, there would be black bezels for sure. See every iPad and iPhone currently made.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
If I wasn’t swamped I try a render with the bezels that are color shaded with the unit (at various levels). IMO the best solution (though the white gives a nod to the original iMac as I’ve posted before)

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Apple logo could do with being a bit bigger, this is a 24” display after all. Have to say that I think the black bezels look so much better when the computer is off - that’s about it. It’s nice to see some change.
No. It is not. It is a 23.5” display.

Footnote #2 at the bottom of:

“Actual diagonal screen size is
23.5 inches.”

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Was waiting on someone to do that... 1000 times better (to me). Although I'd also want the keys and the mouse to be black too :)
Black keys are a nightmare though, look how shiny the MacBook keys go after literally two-three days usage. I wish they’d come up with a better material for them by now, it’s been an issue for 2 decades!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.