Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
It doesn't need the same processor architecture to use the same basic operating system!

Sure. My point was that with both processor architecture and OS being common to most Apple products, engineers should be able to move between projects reasonably easily.

Smartuser

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Yes. The camera flaw was the worst issue imaginable. There were other bugs. It cause a major uproar in these forums because of “WFH quality”. macOS had some big bugs too.

Heck the recent bug with the camera adapter was a big issue for me.

iPhone and iOS bugs were enough where Craig responded to a question on quality.
This forum has about 75% clickbait threads, at least as far as threads that are shown on the title page that get the most traffic go, and anything related to the iPhone is clickbait amplified, I wouldn't take this as scientific evidence for any actual problem.

(Yes, somebody always has a problem with something.)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Seems weird to me the business would update them every 3 years but if you have experience in that area, fair enough.

As for Apple having to do something...no its completely incorrect. They're the ones who self-imposed the 2 year deadline. They should have just said they would be switching all their computers to apple silicon as they can without disrupting functionality of previous products.

No one stopped them from refreshing the 2019 mac pro in 2020, 2021, 2022 with new intel cpus. They just chose not to because the top echelon is now just run by marketing and MBA people. Including x86 compatibility, including dGPU support even with a GPU in the SoC, including additional RAM support, is all possible. They just refused to do it because the marketers are either 1) pushing a vision of apple silicon on everyone which is completely riduclous. It's ridiculous a cube with no thermal headroom has the same processing power as a tower (as youve mentioned) or 2) they don't want to invest money in this area or 3) both.

Well, you have 2 unsupported GPUs in your system, the 2023 was clearly not designed for you. Just saying.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
MKBHD just posted a video today a/b how the Mac Pro is useful based on what you said:

As much as I dislike these YouTubers (their main source of income is ads on YT and they create low-end content which has nothing to do with the professional high end field), he had a point at the end about fitting in a PCIe SSD card to work on .red files, which are not natively supported on the M-class SoC...and also his point about the 2023MP being just like the M1 Air (which I have) keeping same old design, just to "transition" as a v1 of a product. Which makes sense.

Apple literally took the G4 Mac Pro cheesegrater and turned it into Intel in 2006 and then kept refining it until Power-PC was out of the picture.

I am pretty sure they will make it better in 2024/2025. Give them a chance.

For now, keep 2019 MP (if you have it) or get a M2 Mini Pro or Mac Studio Max/Ultra (M1 are on sale, or M2 if you want current)

Reactions: DrEGPU

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Apple literally took the G4 Mac Pro cheesegrater and turned it into Intel in 2006 and then kept refining it until Power-PC was out of the picture.
It was the Power Mac G5 design. The G4 and G3 were plastic based and varied over the years. G5 was aluminum and the first cheese grater Power Mac design. Then the Mac Pro came out changing the internals completely, giving pros the kitchen sink (that Steve Jobs was wanting to give them) compared to what Apple could do with the hot G5. It brought back the dual optical drives like the G4 had previously and so much internal expansion compared to the Power Mac G5.

Reactions: Basic75

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Not quite. You might want to look back.

The G4 was a plasticky monstrosity. I used them a lot back in the day. No cheesegrater elements on it.

The G5 (as advertised by Jeff Goldblum) was the first cheesegrater design.

The Mac Pro 5,1 was a great machine that through good fortune could be expanded wildly beyond the original thoughts.

If you would tell them back then a 5,1 would be running dual X5690s, 128GB or even 256GB ram, heaps of fast NVME storage and a 32GB Radeon Pro W6800 they probably wouldn’t believe you. Yet they can and do.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You're clearly missing the point however that (ignoring the trashcan) every mac pro has supported industry standards and thus has implicitly supported my setup.

Which industry standards? PCIe slots?

The last Mac Pro before the 7,1 was the Trashcan and it only had built in AMD GPUs with no PCIe slots.

Before that was the 2012 Mac Pro (which was already 6 years old by now from the first 2006 Intel Mac Pro introduction). This was 11 years ago...

The 7,1 introduced PCIe slots again, after a 6 year hiatus. The 7,1 did not support NVIDIA GPUs whatsoever. Only (barely) AMD GPUs.

Apple removed NVIDIA GPU support a long time ago...just because it has PCIe slots, doesn't mean it's going to do what you want it to do.

Honestly I suggest a Mac Studio Max/Ultra or Mac Mini Pro and a high end PC + KVM Switch for you. You'll be so much happier.

Me on the other hand, I'm in macOS 99.999% of the time, so either way I'm happy.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Not quite. You might want to look back.

The G4 was a plasticky monstrosity. I used them a lot back in the day. No cheesegrater elements on it.

The G5 (as advertised by Jeff Goldblum) was the first cheesegrater design.

The Mac Pro 5,1 was a great machine that through good fortune could be expanded wildly beyond the original thoughts.

If you would tell them back then a 5,1 would be running dual X5690s, 128GB or even 256GB ram, heaps of fast NVME storage and a 32GB Radeon Pro W6800 they probably wouldn’t believe you. Yet they can and do.

Alright that was a typo on my end. I was talking about the G5 and Dual G5...as well as the watercooled G5 (which was a nightmare).

But my point still stands.

Apple introduced the Intel Mac Pro in 2006 and took the G5 cheesegrater design and tweaked it for Intel.

Apple did the same (imo) for 7,1 to the new one. We will see refinements imo. They also did the same with Mac Mini M1, MacBook Air M1 (using old chassis)

Btw I had the G4, skipped the G5 and got the Intel Mac Pros 2006.

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I think Apple DID have the M2 Ultra x2 aka M2 Extreme in the pipeline. But the pandemic threw major hurdles at the proposal.

The cost of developing a soc is in the billions, AND M2 is looking like a stop-gap soc at this point anyway.

PLUS there is an economic downturn with freelancers being less likely to put in the money for a base m2 extreme at 14999$ or whatever it would be..

So they release Mac Pro w Ultra and let the Mac Studio shine, because it WILL sell more with the same guts as a Mac Pro.

…..And the people that need internal expansion, they buy a Mac Pro.

Come M3, I guess we hope that we will see a redesigned Mac Pro with a M3 Extreme. And Mac Studio is left with a Max and a Ultra as I believe the plan was initially.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
A few things:

4. The PCIe switchers isn't a good omen, but certainly, if no real-world application of PCIe cards in a 2023 Mac Pro suffers as a result, then we're all just crying at a spec sheet for no reason. I suspect there's a lot of "crying at a spec sheet for no reason" happening here. But I don't believe that to be every instance of grief that people have over this new Mac Pro.

Wrong. One OWC Ssd card saturates the bus. Each additional card kills the bandwidth to that card. You can have one fast Ssd card, or audio input card, but not both.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
This is going to anger a lot of you but I ordered a 2023 Mac Pro.

I had a 2019 24 core + W6800x Duo and, after 3 weeks of testing, moved to an M1 Ultra Studio as my main edit/comp machine. The only annoyance has been the 3-4 thunderbolt devices that this necessitated, but the performance upgrade was worth it.

I'd prefer if the 2023 had beefier PCIe layout or upgradable graphics, but its still better than current.

It will be outfitted with 100GbE ethernet, an internal NVME for cache, and an AJA card.

Primary uses are editing Red .r3d, ARRIraw, ProRes etc in Premiere, FCPx, etc.

For heavy 3D moved to Windows long ago so that is not a concern.

Congrats! Why would it anger me. Super happy for you if it helps your daily be better.

Few points, you should get a 400gbe nic instead of the 100!

Also, considering the PCI bandwidth sharing between the Ssd and the 100gbe nic, you may encounter some throttling between the 2. Hopefully that is irrelevant for the work you do in that you don’t need max bandwidth from both simultaneously.

jimmy_john

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
Congrats! Why would it anger me. Super happy for you if it helps your daily be better.

Few points, you should get a 400gbe nic instead of the 100!

Also, considering the PCI bandwidth sharing between the Ssd and the 100gbe nic, you may encounter some throttling between the 2. Hopefully that is irrelevant for the work you do in that you don’t need max bandwidth from both simultaneously.

I have not yet seen any 400 GbE NICs for OSX and that would require a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot - so maybe in the next revision!

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.