Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
So 2023 is over, and for 2024 I got a New Years Challenge planned. Not a resolution, a challenge. New Years Resolutions are outdated and cringe, and most of the time no one actually does them. They just say they will do them like losing weight but after a week give up. They need to be gameified, there needs to be stakes.

So now, for no reason, I have a little New Years Challenge. Windows 11 has been really miss and for a lot of people objectively worse than Windows 10. Mac gaming has been on the rise thanks to D3DMetal and Apple opening their wallet for ports, and Linux gaming has absolutely exploded thanks to the Steam Deck. So I have a little challenge: For 2024: NO PLAYING ON WINDOWS AT ALL

You can play on Mac, play on Linux, and even on console, but Windows is completely off the table even in a virtual machine. What's happens if you lose? NOTHING! Nothing is at stake and there's nothing to lose...except:

futurama-harlem-globetrotters.png

I have spent this week preparing for this challenge by installing a dualboot of the Linux distribution Nobara onto my main PC.

Screenshot_20231230_151838.png
Screenshot_20231230_154520.png

For macOS, I have a 14 inch Macbook Pro with an M1 Pro chip at the ready

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 4.15.25 PM.png

And as a failsafe I also have my trusty LCD Steam Deck I've had for almost two years now

I encourage others to try the challenge themselves and see if they can go the entire year without using Windows for gaming at all. I will report my progress on the challenge here and would love to see others share their experiences. When we return to this thread on 12/31/24, I hope that my Steam Year in Review will show a net playtime of zero for Windows, with only macOS and Linux.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I played nearly 300 hours of pathfinder kingmaker so far. That’s on Mac. I still have wrath of the righteous and baldurs gate 3. So there’s plenty of hours of entertainment on Apple only :)

Will you accept my challenge then? Do you...got game?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
It is officially 2024 in Texas. It's showtime

An entire year with no Windows gaming

Today, I begin my freedom from Windows (at least outside of work)

Queen6

macrumors G4
No unless you can point a direction for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. specifically Radiophobia 3. Doom 3 I can get behind (mod engine & graphics for Apple Silicon), Doom 3 BFG is in progress on the Mac. No Radiophobia no deal. As for Windows 11 it plays all my old games, some that wouldn't play on W10, Area 51 runs & plays.

If not played is a must, be warned skills are needed Radiophobia takes no prisoners....

Q-6

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah, I'm out. Got a few GamePass PC games that I am playing. No way to play them on other OS.

Reactions: Queen6

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I have never had a laptop before. In the past it was always a Custom Gaming PC I built myself. Finally got away from addicting Flight Simulator 10 years ago and have not had a computer since except for my Galaxy Tablets that I used for everything computer wise. My first Laptop is now the 16 inch M3 Max base. Whole reason I got a MacBook was to learn a new operating system that was better optimized and more reliable than Windows. I only use Android and macOSo so not really a challenge for me not to play games on Windows. I love the MacBook Max so much I will never ever go back to MicroDung.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have never had a laptop before. In the past it was always a Custom Gaming PC I built myself. Finally got away from addicting Flight Simulator 10 years ago and have not had a computer since except for my Galaxy Tablets that I used for everything computer wise. My first Laptop is now the 16 inch M3 Max base. Whole reason I got a MacBook was to learn a new operating system that was better optimized and more reliable than Windows. I only use Android and macOSo so not really a challenge for me not to play games on Windows. I love the MacBook Max so much I will never ever go back to MicroDung.
Windows is solid as long as you don't mess with the OS. This PC has never crashed and never clean installed in over 5 years, being used both professionally and casually. The major problem with windows is PEBCAK or third parties who ignore Microsoft's guidelines...

I use Apple, Linux & Microsoft OS, they all have their benefits and equally have their deficits. Castigating one is simply childish in nature without due reason. I strongly dislike Google as I disagree with Google harvesting my data. So I use Open Android problem solved.

Q-6

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I use Apple, Linux & Microsoft OS, they all have their benefits and equally have their deficits. Castigating one is simply childish in nature without due reason. I strongly dislike Google as I disagree with Google harvesting my data. So I use Open Android problem solved.

Q-6
Agree on Google and I hate it too. But not much you can do about it. I use the Samsung Browser and Email on my phone and tablet and Chrome and Gmail are disabled but at the same time I still have to use Google Maps. But no matter what you do the Big 3 (Microsoft, Google and Apple) are always tracking you some how. So it's not like you can quit them unless you completely stop using an operating system permanently. Even then I am not sure if Google isn't selling your data to the other two.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Freedom LOL, Windows is an open OS you can do as you wish with a little knowledge...

Q-6

Except customize your desktop environment or replace it with a different one

Or turn all the adware off

Or skip updates (this is the big one why I switched to Mac in the first place and now Linux. SERIOUSLY MICROSOFT WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS?! NOT EVEN APPLE DOES THIS! SO MANY WINDOWS UPDATES BROKE MY STUFF)

Or turn off Microsoft's telemetry

Yeah, I'm out. Got a few GamePass PC games that I am playing. No way to play them on other OS.

Well at least you made an attempt to try. I got a feeling I'm doing this challenge alone lmao

Hey maybe Homy would participate 😂

No unless you can point a direction for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. specifically Radiophobia 3. Doom 3 I can get behind (mod engine & graphics for Apple Silicon), Doom 3 BFG is in progress on the Mac. No Radiophobia no deal. As for Windows 11 it plays all my old games, some that wouldn't play on W10, Area 51 runs & plays.

If not played is a must, be warned skills are needed Radiophobia takes no prisoners....

Q-6

Can't you use Whisky?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Day 1 of the challenge. I got Lutris setup with the alternative launchers so I can access non-Steam games. Tested it out by trying to run one of my all time favorites. I installed the EA App with just a single button press in Lutris, and after a short install, I was instantly playing Command & Conquer Generals on Linux, one of my all time favorite games.

I was pretty surprised how easy that was. All I did was click one button and boom it was done. Man Linux has come a long way.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Day 1 of the challenge. I got Lutris setup with the alternative launchers so I can access non-Steam games. Tested it out by trying to run one of my all time favorites. I installed the EA App with just a single button press in Lutris, and after a short install, I was instantly playing Command & Conquer Generals on Linux, one of my all time favorite games.

I was pretty surprised how easy that was. All I did was click one button and boom it was done. Man Linux has come a long way.
My W11 system doesn't give much away by design, nor has any OS update broken apps to date with over 2TB installed. Yet to try a wrapper such as Wine etc for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Could be a lot of work to get it right when the game already runs on a known solid OS.

I've used Wine in the past with good results, just don't have the need these days as have both Mac & PC on hand. I just use what works and take precautions to ensure privacy & security, no need to punish myself for others deeds which is effectively what your doing. Far easier to take control of the OS and get the best out of it...

Q-6

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
An interesting challenge, @Spaceboi Scaphandre 😀

As a reeeelatively recent Mac-convert who ditched Windows for most personal things (except for some old games) because of the now forced updates, updates breaking things, the awfully inconsistent UI these days and the overall perceived clunkiness and user-unfriendliness*, I would love to try this myself.

Alas, being a game developer, the lines between my personal and professional steam accounts are blurred a bit too much.
I wish you good luck, though, and shall follow this thread with interest.

*these are my own impressions and misgivings. Some could be alleviated by purchasing a higher Windows version or installing third party tools, I’m sure, but I won’t do it since a lot of my issues with Windows these days are recently introduced ones and were not present in earlier Windows versions.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
An interesting challenge, @Spaceboi Scaphandre 😀

As a reeeelatively recent Mac-convert who ditched Windows for most personal things (except for some old games) because of the now forced updates, updates breaking things, the awfully inconsistent UI these days and the overall perceived clunkiness and user-unfriendliness*, I would love to try this myself.

Alas, being a game developer, the lines between my personal and professional steam accounts are blurred a bit too much.
I wish you good luck, though, and shall follow this thread with interest.

*these are my own impressions and misgivings. Some could be alleviated by purchasing a higher Windows version or installing third party tools, I’m sure, but I won’t do it since a lot of my issues with Windows these days are recently introduced ones and were not present in earlier Windows versions.

Plus there are some games that will not work on Linux due to being blocked by an anticheat, or having some kind of proprietary software required that won't run. Before I started the challenge I took inventory of what I knew I would be losing.

• Call of Duty. Ricochet Anti-Cheat only allows native Windows installs to run the game, not even VMs. To be honest though this isn't even really a big loss since Call of Duty right now really sucks, so this is a blessing in disguise really
  • Fortnite. Tim Sweeney actively refuses to bring his joke of a app store and his "metaverse" to Linux, citing stupid reasons every time. First it was "installing Linux is like threatening to move to Canada whenever American politics does something you don't like." Then it was "we don't have any way to easily combat cheaters on Linux" despite making their anticheat software EasyAntiCheat whitelisted for Linux use. Now the excuse is "there's not enough players on Linux" despite the past few Steam hardware surveys showing otherwise. Seriously how is this joker still CEO? Fortunately I play Fortnite on PS5 anyhow so I got that covered
  • PCVR. Okay so, I own a Meta Quest 2 as a VR headset. Unfortunately with it comes a big problem: Meta's software is absolutely awful. Firstly it uses the Oculus PC app which is horribly out of date and almost abandonware at this point, secondly there's no way to get it working on Linux, and many have tried. Unfortunately I cannot use Steam Link for Quest as a workaround, as that only works on Windows for some reason. There are VR headsets that work on Linux out of the box, unfortunately I do not own any of them, nor have the requirements to own them as they all use Valve's base stations which require a 2x2 meter playspace. So until Valve announces the Deckard, no PCVR for the entire year unless I find a workaround (which is fine I guess since PCVR right now is pretty dead as most devs are just focusing on Quest.)
  • Destiny 2, which I never liked to begin. The sad thing is Bungie could easily whitelist the game for Linux but actively refuse too when most EasyAntiCheat games have already enabled Linux play, including god damn Apex Legends so what the hell Bungie?
So aside from PCVR, so far I haven't really found anything yet that I haven't been able to get running. Of course mileage varies, and the year just started so there's always room for comedy of errors.

As a sidenote, I wanna personally give a shoutout to GloriousEggroll, a top Proton contributor and the creator of Nobara the distro I'm using. He really helped a newbie like me get all setup. I'm not new to Linux, but I am new to daily driving Linux which is a completely different beast. But hey, I'm learning so much throughout this entire thing.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
  • Fortnite. Tim Sweeney actively refuses to bring his joke of a app store and his "metaverse" to Linux, citing stupid reasons every time. First it was "installing Linux is like threatening to move to Canada whenever American politics does something you don't like." Then it was "we don't have any way to easily combat cheaters on Linux" despite making their anticheat software EasyAntiCheat whitelisted for Linux use. Now the excuse is "there's not enough players on Linux" despite the past few Steam hardware surveys showing otherwise. Seriously how is this joker still CEO? Fortunately I play Fortnite on PS5 anyhow so I got that covered
He owns 51% of a private company? Who is going to kick him out?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So 2023 is over, and for 2024 I got a New Years Challenge planned. Not a resolution, a challenge. New Years Resolutions are outdated and cringe, and most of the time no one actually does them. They just say they will do them like losing weight but after a week give up. They need to be gameified, there needs to be stakes.

So now, for no reason, I have a little New Years Challenge. Windows 11 has been really miss and for a lot of people objectively worse than Windows 10. Mac gaming has been on the rise thanks to D3DMetal and Apple opening their wallet for ports, and Linux gaming has absolutely exploded thanks to the Steam Deck. So I have a little challenge: For 2024: NO PLAYING ON WINDOWS AT ALL

You can play on Mac, play on Linux, and even on console, but Windows is completely off the table even in a virtual machine. What's happens if you lose? NOTHING! Nothing is at stake and there's nothing to lose...except:

futurama-harlem-globetrotters.png

I have spent this week preparing for this challenge by installing a dualboot of the Linux distribution Nobara onto my main PC.

View attachment 2331244 View attachment 2331245
For macOS, I have a 14 inch Macbook Pro with an M1 Pro chip at the ready

View attachment 2331246

And as a failsafe I also have my trusty LCD Steam Deck I've had for almost two years now

I encourage others to try the challenge themselves and see if they can go the entire year without using Windows for gaming at all. I will report my progress on the challenge here and would love to see others share their experiences. When we return to this thread on 12/31/24, I hope that my Steam Year in Review will show a net playtime of zero for Windows, with only macOS and Linux.
For me to even consider such a challenge, first I’d need a gaming capable Mac. Not going to give up my big monitor, or use my TV for gaming. 🙃

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
  • PCVR. Okay so, I own a Meta Quest 2 as a VR headset. Unfortunately with it comes a big problem: Meta's software is absolutely awful. Firstly it uses the Oculus PC app which is horribly out of date and almost abandonware at this point, secondly there's no way to get it working on Linux, and many have tried. Unfortunately I cannot use Steam Link for Quest as a workaround, as that only works on Windows for some reason. There are VR headsets that work on Linux out of the box, unfortunately I do not own any of them, nor have the requirements to own them as they all use Valve's base stations which require a 2x2 meter playspace. So until Valve announces the Deckard, no PCVR for the entire year unless I find a workaround (which is fine I guess since PCVR right now is pretty dead as most devs are just focusing on Quest.)
The only person I know with one of these has shelved it since the full Facebook (Meta) takeover of Oculus. He's also a Linux user!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
For me to even consider such a challenge, first I’d need a gaming capable Mac. Not going to give up my big monitor, or use my TV for gaming. 🙃

Alternatively you could install a Linux dualboot onto your rig like what I'm doing.

The only person I know with one of these has shelved it since the full Facebook (Meta) takeover of Oculus. He's also a Linux user!

On Linux you got four options for a VR headset that are actually made to be usable on Linux: An OG Vive or a Valve Index (both of which at this point are far too old to even recommend as the Quest 2 has higher image quality than it) the Pimax 4K, or the new Bigscreen Beyond. Unfortunately all four of these options are a no-go due to high prices, and the requirement for base stations, said base stations having large playspace requirements. There are some streaming options like Guy Godin's app Virtual Desktop or ALVR, but both can have latency issues due to the nature of streaming over wifi.

Valve hurry the hell up on Deckard I need to get away from Mark Zuckerburg's grease!

Reactions: Huntn

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Did he really say that? I guess if your game is primarily played by 15-year-olds that means you have to act like one. (Though to be fair, not many of them would be using Linux).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

CEO of a billion dollar corporation ladies and gentlemen. Friendly reminder this is the same guy who created “Project Liberty.”
Not sure that Canada is nearly far enough away for me. Maybe Montréal would work, but then I'd have to learn French...anyway back on topic.

I'll give Tim Cook credit for being one of the few tech CEOs who still sounds sane in a casual conversation. There aren't many like that nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.