Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
  • Sad
Reactions: Don Quixote

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Just an FYI, as some may know I watch F1 via the official F1 app and a VPN, Nord in my case. It’s cheap enough when spread out over a year, but Skys Now TV in the UK had a £20 a month offer for its sports add on so,I subbed to give it a go. And I gotta say what a waste of money it is, you get lower quality that’s noticeable then the F1 app, also races are only available to watch for a week, F1 app has them for the year and beyond, and the Now TV app layout for it is a mess, it’s a right hassle trying to find the actual race.
F1 TV app is way better and easy to use and navigate, so hopefully I won’t get any issues when I re-sub to the F1 app this year.
I find the rest of Now TV good and easy to use, the sports side is a real let down, probably by design to make you get a proper full Sky subscription on contract.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just an FYI, as some may know I watch F1 via the official F1 app and a VPN, Nord in my case. It’s cheap enough when spread out over a year, but Skys Now TV in the UK had a £20 a month offer for its sports add on so,I subbed to give it a go. And I gotta say what a waste of money it is, you get lower quality that’s noticeable then the F1 app, also races are only available to watch for a week, F1 app has them for the year and beyond, and the Now TV app layout for it is a mess, it’s a right hassle trying to find the actual race.
F1 TV app is way better and easy to use and navigate, so hopefully I won’t get any issues when I re-sub to the F1 app this year.
I find the rest of Now TV good and easy to use, the sports side is a real let down, probably by design to make you get a proper full Sky subscription on contract.

I had heard Now TV was a bit mediocre and expensive when offers aren’t on for what it is. We aren’t a big TV watching household so we dumped TV subscriptions years ago. I did have a knock off skybox for a few years but found I was watching race highlights instead of live even back then. I just stick to the Channel 4 highlights these days as it’s on at a more convenient time and not as long as the full race. Fits my lifestyle better with busy weekends.

My Dad cancelled his Sky subscription the other week after being a customer for 30 years as they had put his bill up to £130 a month! He phoned up to complain and he felt they were trying to take advantage of him because he’s of the older generation. Sky is experiencing a huge drop in subscriptions at the moment and you’d think they’d be trying to make their prices competitive, but they are chasing the profit hoping people suck up the higher costs by the looks of it.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
It was more than a couple...... but, hey, it's F1 all bets are off.....

Definitely. Imagine this. Schumacher tries to run Villeneuve once of the track in 1997, and he gets disqualified from the championship.

At the same time, Max is constantly driving Lewis of the track with his kamikaze “you yield or we crash” driving, not a single problem.

If Schumacher was driving like Max, he would have received multiple race bans. So something was behind the scenes going on that Max had to be champion no matter what.

Max even slammed the brakes on the main straight for Lewis to crash into the back of his car. Schumacher wouldn’t dare to try this as he might not have been able to drive a F1 car anymore.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pezimak and Zapski

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
We have full Sky Q with F1 in UHD at our home in the UK. We utilize the F1 app and cast to TV's in our holiday home and when travelling. And have Viaplay at my office and sports bars in the Netherlands.

Watching F1 through Sky Q is at a different level. The UHD stream is amazing, the interactivity and camera selections are fantastic. The sound quality is very good as well. Commentators not so much, but still better than Viaplay.

I was always crumpy about Sky, but that in the UK and F1 TV for anywhere else is a great combination.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
We have full Sky Q with F1 in UHD at our home in the UK. We utilize the F1 app and cast to TV's in our holiday home and when travelling. And have Viaplay at my office and sports bars in the Netherlands.

Watching F1 through Sky Q is at a different level. The UHD stream is amazing, the interactivity and camera selections are fantastic. The sound quality is very good as well. Commentators not so much, but still better than Viaplay.

I was always crumpy about Sky, but that in the UK and F1 TV for anywhere else is a great combination.

I had Sky Q since launch for several years, it’s gone now thank goodness, overpriced rubbish. The quality is alright, but it’s just such a total rip off. You literally pay them to fund the football no matter what package you have. They literally spend billions on the football rights. It wasn‘t my choice to have Sky for so long. Despicable company, because we had the older Sky Q box it wouldn’t support HDR, to get that we would have to ‘buy’ a new box from them, despite the fact you do not actually own the Sky Q equipment and only rent it, and pay the exact same price for your subscription as anyone with a HDR capable box, money making rip off racket company.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yep I won't argue against any of that. Same that the box goes out of warranty, you have to pay for it, yet without the box you can't consume their service, and when you cancel the service you have to hand back the box. It doesn't make any sense.

There is a lot to dislike about Sky but quality of broadcast isn't one. And as an interactive TV platform they've nailed it. I tried BT in the UK, got Ziggo at our temporary appartment in the Netherlands and that is rubbish too.

The only platform I am happy with is Apple TV but that doesn't do broadcast...And for broadcast we used to have a Topfield receiver/recorder and that was awesome too but Freeview basically killed it with an inferior service.

So we are the suckers that just pay Sky for Q as it is the least frustration. But only F1 is keeping us there, the rest of the programming is mediocre. Even Sky Cinema is pretty bad now and keeps pushing their Sky Store...

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Yep I won't argue against any of that. Same that the box goes out of warranty, you have to pay for it, yet without the box you can't consume their service, and when you cancel the service you have to hand back the box. It doesn't make any sense.

There is a lot to dislike about Sky but quality of broadcast isn't one. And as an interactive TV platform they've nailed it. I tried BT in the UK, got Ziggo at our temporary appartment in the Netherlands and that is rubbish too.

The only platform I am happy with is Apple TV but that doesn't do broadcast...And for broadcast we used to have a Topfield receiver/recorder and that was awesome too but Freeview basically killed it with an inferior service.

So we are the suckers that just pay Sky for Q as it is the least frustration. But only F1 is keeping us there, the rest of the programming is mediocre. Even Sky Cinema is pretty bad now and keeps pushing their Sky Store...

We have moved to Apple TV or Fire Stick in a couple of bedrooms, and for two of the TV’s freeview and terrestrial also over the old Sky dish, kudos to us buying higher range TVs with built in satellite decoders at the time. As you say the quality is there, the ease of use mostly is, but the cost is way off.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We have moved to Apple TV or Fire Stick in a couple of bedrooms, and for two of the TV’s freeview and terrestrial also over the old Sky dish, kudos to us buying higher range TVs with built in satellite decoders at the time. As you say the quality is there, the ease of use mostly is, but the cost is way off.

Sky are on the cusp of their demise I’d say. They are putting their prices up because they are losing customers hand over fist and they have to fill the void somehow. So many people are streaming their content via hooky Firesticks or IPTV apps and they can’t seem to clamp down on it. When you consider people are paying as little as £45 for a full year of HD transmitted Sky content which is less than Sky charge per month, it’s no wonder alternatives are being sort. Loads of people where I work have Firesticks using this method and when everything is expensive, the first things that get rationalised are TV subscriptions. Netflix are facing a similar problem, but that’s more on a global scale.

Channel 4 highlights and YouTube roundups are fine for me, especially when the racing is this awful.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Sky are on the cusp of their demise I’d say. They are putting their prices up because they are losing customers hand over fist and they have to fill the void somehow. So many people are streaming their content via hooky Firesticks or IPTV apps and they can’t seem to clamp down on it. When you consider people are paying as little as £45 for a full year of HD transmitted Sky content which is less than Sky charge per month, it’s no wonder alternatives are being sort. Loads of people where I work have Firesticks using this method and when everything is expensive, the first things that get rationalised are TV subscriptions. Netflix are facing a similar problem, but that’s more on a global scale.

Channel 4 highlights and YouTube roundups are fine for me, especially when the racing is this awful.

Actually, you’d be surprised how often people will keep Sky over other things when hard up. One year a while ago now they bid over 5 Billion sterling for 3 years of the Premiership I think TV rights, so ONE football league, BT at the time bid 3 billion I think, it was so much money that the entire Premiership teams and managers and staff all gave themselves nice fat pay rises! All on the Sky customer mainly. I know they’ve spent several hundred million for F1 rights, but when Sky are more then happy to spend that much you can see why F1 loves a partner like Sky, bottomless wallet as far as they are concerned.

For now I’m happy with the F1 app, it works on all my Apple devices now, its just over £8 a month. And no contract and I can pay for a year up front.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Definitely. Imagine this. Schumacher tries to run Villeneuve once of the track in 1997, and he gets disqualified from the championship.

Well he did do it to try and win the WDC. And he had done it before in 1994 to Damon Hill in Adelaide, also to win the WDC.

At the same time, Max is constantly driving Lewis of the track with his kamikaze “you yield or we crash” driving, not a single problem.

Trick is, once someone yields to Max, Max knows he effectively owns them and they will effectively always yield. So that is why he does it.

If Schumacher was driving like Max, he would have received multiple race bans. So something was behind the scenes going on that Max had to be champion no matter what.

I still believe it came down to Formula One wanting an "exciting" finish for the season and the WDC and Masi bowing to that pressure from FOM and Horner to set up a "one lap to the finish" like NASCAR's White-Green-Checkers program.

Red Bull and Mercedes both made the right call for the situation they thought was going to happen (a normal safety car restart with lapped traffic between Max and Lewis), which is why Red Bull sacrificed track position to put Max on fresh tires and Mercedes kept Lewis out (hoping the race would end under the Safety Car and if not, Max not being able to get past the lapped traffic). Masi's decision effectively (and as we saw, literally) gave the win to Max because Lewis was a sitting duck on used tires. Max would have passed him in a Haas in that situation.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

I don’t get people like that. Crap quality. But hey I guess it’s the same audience that goes to Spain/Canaries and buy all those fake handbags and sunglasses.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Actually, you’d be surprised how often people will keep Sky over other things when hard up. One year a while ago now they bid over 5 Billion sterling for 3 years of the Premiership I think TV rights, so ONE football league, BT at the time bid 3 billion I think, it was so much money that the entire Premiership teams and managers and staff all gave themselves nice fat pay rises! All on the Sky customer mainly. I know they’ve spent several hundred million for F1 rights, but when Sky are more then happy to spend that much you can see why F1 loves a partner like Sky, bottomless wallet as far as they are concerned.

For now I’m happy with the F1 app, it works on all my Apple devices now, its just over £8 a month. And no contract and I can pay for a year up front.

Oh I’d imagine it’s a priority above new school shoes for their children in some cases. I quite often see people on the school run who I know either don’t work or work just enough to avoid compromising their universal credit, with £200 trainers and using the latest iPhones. Then there’s the ones who can’t afford a deposit on a house and work in the local factory but have a 5 year lease on a Range Rover Evoke. It’s amazing what some will prioritise when they don’t have it.

I know a lot of people who have been abandoning Sky for these streaming alternatives though. These aren’t people who can’t afford Sky, they are people who are on a similar wage bracket to me, but are seeing the benefit of not paying £100-£130 a month for something they can get in identical quality for £45 a year. It’s a real problem for Sky and they are pumping a lot of resources into investigating it. Eight or so years ago when I had a box, the quality was HD but sometimes it would lose signal and it was unreliable at times. It’s not like that anymore though and the service had gotten better. There’s even multi-room and app subscriptions that you can get through iOS. There is clearly a much more sophisticated ring behind it these days and it’s robbing Sky of possibly a million plus subscribers. I was tempted to try it this year but I’m not really watching enough to bother.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Oh I’d imagine it’s a priority above new school shoes for their children in some cases. I quite often see people on the school run who I know either don’t work or work just enough to avoid compromising their universal credit, with £200 trainers and using the latest iPhones. Then there’s the ones who can’t afford a deposit on a house and work in the local factory but have a 5 year lease on a Range Rover Evoke. It’s amazing what some will prioritise when they don’t have it.

I know a lot of people who have been abandoning Sky for these streaming alternatives though. These aren’t people who can’t afford Sky, they are people who are on a similar wage bracket to me, but are seeing the benefit of not paying £100-£130 a month for something they can get in identical quality for £45 a year. It’s a real problem for Sky and they are pumping a lot of resources into investigating it. Eight or so years ago when I had a box, the quality was HD but sometimes it would lose signal and it was unreliable at times. It’s not like that anymore though and the service had gotten better. There’s even multi-room and app subscriptions that you can get through iOS. There is clearly a much more sophisticated ring behind it these days and it’s robbing Sky of possibly a million plus subscribers. I was tempted to try it this year but I’m not really watching enough to bother.

I've reached the point that if a race isn't carried by ESPN or ESPN+ I don't watch it. I remember many, many years ago when Streaming was being proclaimed as the eternal cable cutting scissor. I was very skeptical back then, and feel vindicated in today's arena.

We know people that cut cable and now pay a good percentage more for all their streaming services. I guess it's simply the world we live in.......

Reactions: Don Quixote

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well I had a bit of hope with FP1 with Max 6th as the clock ran out, but then he goes 2nd 0.018 behind Norris without setting any purple sectors nor personal best sectors... :oops::rolleyes:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well I had a bit of hope with FP1 with Max 6th as the clock ran out, but then he goes 2nd 0.018 behind Norris without setting any purple sectors nor personal best sectors... :oops::rolleyes:

I think Ferrari has the pace. I wouldn't get too down yet. Leclerc is up almost .4 in P2. I think Max had the PU turned up quite a bit in that P2 fast lap on the C5. So, could be closer than we might think. Sergio is off quite a bit.

Interesting times at Mercedes. Don't really understand how George is so much quicker than Lewis. It must be more than just the chassis.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Logan Sargeant will not be participating in the Australian Grand Prix as he has been withdrawn to allow Alex Albon to drive his car as Williams does not have a spare chassis available to rebuild after Alex crashed in FP1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.