Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If Ferrari had swapped their drivers, LeClerk would’ve been top of the WC.

Best race of the season. But if we have to wait for the next RBR mechanical failure to deliver a great race, then it’s going to be a long wait.
Sainz is really embellishing his CV. I think there will be a few people scratching their heads at Ferrari if Lewis doesn’t improve.

Mercedes were unlucky with George, but an engine failure after 3 events (well 2 and a bit) is not good. Either bad luck or they are running the engine at close to maximum to try and catch the rest.

Almost certainly means grid place penalties later in the year.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I’m ok with the 20 sec, but don’t agree on the 3 License Points. 1 would have been sufficient. It’s not like the Mercedes is Aero Balanced to begin with……

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Well I wasn't expecting that; just shows never give up. And also clearly show the driver influence. Regardless, very happy for Carlos Sainz, I hope he'll be 2nd overall this year.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
We'll have to see if Australia was a fluke or not. In the first two races both Max and Sergio were comfortably ahead than the rest. Horner mentioned that they suspected aero damage on Perez's car.

Horner just revealed it was a “Wedged Tear Off” stuck under the chassis.

“Wedged Tear Off” in Ocon’s R-Rear Brake Ducting as well. Maybe they can find a non flammable Tear Off so they can be mandated to be kept in the car after removal?

Reactions: Pezimak

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Horner just revealed it was a “Wedged Tear Off” stuck under the chassis.

“Wedged Tear Off” in Ocon’s R-Rear Brake Ducting as well. Maybe they can find a non flammable Tear Off so they can be mandated to be kept in the car after removal?
Or:
1711302785484.jpeg

• Haha

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
If a tear-off can mess up the RB20's aerodynamic performance that much, I expect Ferrari and McLaren drivers will show up at Suzuka with foot-thick bundles of them on their helmets. :p

There is a nice read on Race Day regarding the floor aero nuances required during installation when Max damaged his in P1. Apparently a Newey designed floor is far from a “Bolt On” Body Part.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Perez was the one with the tearoff. He wasn't anywhere near the lead today.
Aha, that makes more sense. I read that wrong earlier.

Well, not really makes sense, Perez seemed typical Perez to me. Showed good pace for a while, and then it was like he fell asleep or something.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have not read anything to indicate they feel Max had a plugged duct. Looking like a mechanical failure.

Correct. Max said the brake caliper failed to release so he was dragging his brake and it eventually overheated the rotor, which caught fire and then exploded when entering pit lane.

It was one of the Alpines that ingested a tear-off into their right rear brake duct and that caused the brake rotor to overheat until they removed it during a pit stop.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Just watching the race now, Max out GOOD! But I think the team needs to be fined, because what utter idiot team try’s to change the tyres whilst the car is ON FIRE???!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ And they got in the way of the fire marshals, utter idiots! They deserve a big fine for reckless safety IMO! And max wasn’t exactly nice to whoever he was speaking to in the pit lane, looks like he called them an idiot.

what was great was seeing the Ferrari overtake before the fire, fingers crossed they’ve caught up with RB’s race pace.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Yeah there appeared to be a big difference in braking and lift through that corner and it definitely caused the incident. He has done this a few times in his career to protect his position so it’s good the stewards were on the ball here.

Feel sorry for Lewis going out, he is isn‘t being told or seeing anything of next hears car, or being told of anything Russel is doing, nor is he being told anything of next years Ferrari, the price you pay for moving seats the next season.

Anyway for that Alonso deserves a fair few points on his licence.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Feel sorry for Lewis going out, he is isn‘t being told or seeing anything of next hears car, or being told of anything Russel is doing, nor is he being told anything of next years Ferrari, the price you pay for moving seats the next season.

Anyway for that Alonso deserves a fair few points on his licence.
Yeah Lewis knows the score really and will be frozen out of all development meetings now, especially those discussing new developments that concern next season. The balance on the car looks pretty awful and both drivers seem to be having their own issues to overcome. I think if we had seen a vastly improved Mercedes this year, we'd also see Lewis fully motivated and making his last season with the team something to remember. He does appear deflated and it is understandable. George on the other hand has a different motivation and pushing for his future and this is where the beauty of youth comes to play. He still has a long career ahead of him if he keeps the momentum, whereas Lewis has proven everything and is perhaps a bit more relaxed about poorer results. He has his drive for next year and it probably can't come soon enough, especially as now he's seen Ferrari is still the second strongest team on the grid and can capitalise on any of Max's DNF's.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Just watching the race now, Max out GOOD! But I think the team needs to be fined, because what utter idiot team try’s to change the tyres whilst the car is ON FIRE???!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ And they got in the way of the fire marshals, utter idiots! They deserve a big fine for reckless safety IMO! And max wasn’t exactly nice to whoever he was speaking to in the pit lane, looks like he called them an idiot.

what was great was seeing the Ferrari overtake before the fire, fingers crossed they’ve caught up with RB’s race pace.
Chill dude. Nothing happened. And at least they didn’t cause a safety car situation unlike Lewis ;)

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Chill dude. Nothing happened. And at least they didn’t cause a safety car situation unlike Lewis ;)
How can you say that when Alonso caused George to crash through making an illegal act? This has nothing to do with Lewis and his antics, this is Alonso cheating and putting another team out.

I think your opinion is wrong. Alonso cheated in an INCREDIBLY dangerous way fact. Hence his penalty.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
How can you say that when Alonso caused George to crash through making an illegal act? This has nothing to do with Lewis and his antics, this is Alonso cheating and putting another team out.

I think your opinion is wrong. Alonso cheated in an INCREDIBLY dangerous way fact. Hence his penalty.
??? What did I say about George and Alonso? you may want to read that again.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
??? What did I say about George and Alonso? you may want to read that again.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 I thought you replied to my other comment.. still I hold my view they were reckless with their safety, sure nothing happened, but it’s not like drivers and crew and cars haven‘t caught on fire before….. safety first. The fuel is highly flammable if it gets out, and as was proven before the modern fuel tanks aren’t fool proof, although in this circumstance that’s far reaching.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 I thought you replied to my other comment.. still I hold my view they were reckless with their safety, sure nothing happened, but it’s not like drivers and crew and cars haven‘t caught on fire before….. safety first. The fuel is highly flammable if it gets out, and as was proven before the modern fuel tanks aren’t fool proof, although in this circumstance that’s far reaching.
Well, there you go, we all view things from a different perspective. I don't think they were, I think causing a safety car or even a red flag by not going into the pits would have been worse. And considering the action wasn't even noted for investigation it seems that that is the official stance as well.

But, although I didn't comment on that, I'm happy to admit I had it wrong with Alsonso. I didn't think it was that bad deserving of such a penalty. Torpedo George has done much worse with actually physical contact, as have many others. In my opinion this was down for the driver from behind to anticipate and leave enough room. But alas, that is not the case as it was deemed quite a serious one.

But that is why the Stewards have the say in this, as they've got all the information...All good.

Reactions: Pezimak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.