Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The telemetry would have been showing Red Bull that the caliper was not releasing and the rotor temperature rising precipitously so they knew what to do as soon as Max arrived in the pit: remove the tire and wheel and extinguish the fire and cool the rotor with CO2.

There would have been no risk of a fuel fire since the fuel tank is well forward of the rear axle and protected by a lot of intervening body and structural CFRP as well as being lined with Kevlar and flame-retardant materials.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
The telemetry would have been showing Red Bull that the caliper was not releasing and the rotor temperature rising precipitously so they knew what to do as soon as Max arrived in the pit: remove the tire and wheel and extinguish the fire and cool the rotor with CO2.

There would have been no risk of a fuel fire since the fuel tank is well forward of the rear axle and protected by a lot of intervening body and structural CFRP as well as being lined with Kevlar and flame-retardant materials.

Agreed, only they also took off all the other wheels too and changed them:

Watch from 1:35

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Agreed, only they also took off all the other wheels too and changed them...

They would have done that for two reasons:

1. If they could fix the issue with Max's brakes, they would have wanted to send him out on fresh tires.
  2. F1 regulations require all four tires on the car be from the same set. So if they only changed one during the stop, even if they chose to subsequently retire the car, they likely would have received a fine or penalty, as silly as that might sound in such a situation.

Reactions: Glideslope

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I did post another video but F1 have banned it from being shared off You Tube?? So I’ve deleted it, it was when Alonso brake checked Lewis once.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Evidently last week Susie Wolff filed a criminal complaint in France against the FIA for their announcement last December that they were investigating a possible leaking of information from her to her husband, Toto.

I don’t know why they haven’t broken away from the FIA like has nearly happened so many times over the past 45 years. It would be a much better sport and one less corrupt element taken out of the equation. They should have broken away back in 2009.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
How long can RB racing put up with Danny Ric who is clearly past it? With Lawson waiting in the wings how can they justify keeping him in the seat? Marketing is my guess.

If Daniel is still trailing Yuki at the end of Monaco, I could see Canada being his last race and Lawson taking over with Barcelona.

I think Sainz is now Red Bull's first choice to replace Max or Sergio, so Daniel is now likely driving to save his spot at VCARB and not for a promotion to the A Team.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
If Daniel is still trailing Yuki at the end of Monaco, I could see Canada being his last race and Lawson taking over with Barcelona.

I think Sainz is now Red Bull's first choice to replace Max or Sergio, so Daniel is now likely driving to save his spot at VCARB and not for a promotion to the A Team.

Agreed. I don’t see Daniel in the car much longer. It’s almost as if he’s never left McLaren. I’m still unsure on Carlos. It would be nice to see him at RB. No love between him, Max, and Jos. Could be Hamilton/ Rosberg. There is still allot on the sidelines to play out. Allot of undercurrent over Stroll’s “Alleged” Blank Check offer to Newey to join AMR. Newey wouldn’t have to move from England.

If this were to materialize I’d wager Max would be interested in that seat with Honda power in 2026.

Lots of moving parts all over the grid still……………

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Agreed. I don’t see Daniel in the car much longer. It’s almost as if he’s never left McLaren. I’m still unsure on Carlos. It would be nice to see him at RB. No love between him, Max, and Jos. Could be Hamilton/ Rosberg. There is still allot on the sidelines to play out. Allot of undercurrent over Stroll’s “Alleged” Blank Check offer to Newey to join AMR. Newey wouldn’t have to move from England.

If this were to materialize I’d wager Max would be interested in that seat with Honda power in 2026.

Lots of moving parts all over the grid still……………
Anyone else want the Stroll family out of F1... Just me?

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I think he’s got 3 more Grand Prix maximum. If he hasn’t improved by the end of the Miami GP, there’s no way he’ll be in the seat by the time the calendar reaches Europe IMO. For a driver that was so full of promise back in 2018, he’s slipped massively. Even his win for McLaren was a false positive as he was outperformed by Lando quite convincingly over their time together. He’s been given a second chance which I thought he deserved, but he is just past it for me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think he’s got 3 more Grand Prix maximum. If he hasn’t improved by the end of the Miami GP, there’s no way he’ll be in the seat by the time the calendar reaches Europe IMO. For a driver that was so full of promise back in 2018, he’s slipped massively. Even his win for McLaren was a false positive as he was outperformed by Lando quite convincingly over their time together. He’s been given a second chance which I thought he deserved, but he is just past it for me.
His driving style was best when he could send it up the inside, be the latest braker and still make the corner.

These days passing is all done via DRS well before the corner. DRS has got to go. The driver in the lead is a sitting duck every time.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
His driving style was best when he could send it up the inside, be the latest braker and still make the corner.

Yeah he has a particular driving style that he refuses to modify even if his style does not suit the car. It is why he struggled with the McLaren and might be why he is struggling with the VCARB, though I understand it is said to better suit his style.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

These days passing is all done via DRS well before the corner. DRS has got to go. The driver in the lead is a sitting duck every time.
It wasn’t really any different in 2018 though when he was still giving Max a run for his money.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Stroll is an on off racer for me, sometimes he's alright sometimes he's awful. As for the family well one of my all time dream cars is an Aston Martin so if their money is keeping them afloat then they can stay lol. Yes I am biased, as a person I don't much like daddy Stroll, but money rules in F1.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

I mean they effectively kept a team (Force India) in the sport and they do seem serious about competing (unlike, say, Haas, Stake and Alpine) so, overall, I am okay with them owning an F1 team.

I would prefer Lance hang up his helmet and open up that seat because he is never going to be more than a middling driver and Aston will not truly be competitive until they have two solid drivers who can generate results and provide the feedback necessary to continue development.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Stroll is an on off racer for me, sometimes he's alright sometimes he's awful. As for the family well one of my all time dream cars is an Aston Martin so if their money is keeping them afloat then they can stay lol. Yes I am biased, as a person I don't much like daddy Stroll, but money rules in F1.

I feel the same way, as long as they are pumping money into a British team and keeping it alive, I don’t mind where the money comes from. They are at least a bit competitive at times and are trying to get Newey, so seem committed to the sport rather than just profit. It would be nice if they had 2 competitive drivers in the team though and hopefully there is some truth in Sainz joining Alonso for next season.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
I feel the same way, as long as they are pumping money into a British team and keeping it alive, I don’t mind where the money comes from. They are at least a bit competitive at times and are trying to get Newey, so seem committed to the sport rather than just profit. It would be nice if they had 2 competitive drivers in the team though and hopefully there is some truth in Sainz joining Alonso for next season.
Fair enough.

Hopefully Newey won't go unless Sainz teams with them...

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I just can’t see Dad removing Lance from the team. However, we could hypothesize as to what Lawerence might do depending on how forcefully he is going after Newey.

Personally, I don’t see Newey leaving for AMR unless Max is there. I don’t see any indication Max is leaving RBR.

There is still time though. Let’s see how RB performs the next 2-3 races under pressure from Ferrari. Two more consecutive “Part Assembly” failures and Max could flee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.