Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Adrian Newey to leave Red Bull!! The rumours were true after all!!

Maranello bound????

I would be happy to see him go to Mercedes or McLaren personally. He will probably retire though.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
ohh, I bet his missus will not be best happy, having him home for garden leave for the next 9 months or 1 year...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
While every team will be making an offer, I presume Ferrari is the top option if he stays. And if he does, it is going to make 2026 a lot more interesting!

Also hearing rumors that Sargeant will be dropped after Miami and replaced with Antonelli. While Antonelli is too young to formally be granted a Super License (he turns 18 in August), the FIA did offer special dispensation for Verstappen to receive a license while still 17 and it is said that is what Williams would ask for here.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Adrian Newey to leave Red Bull!! The rumours were true after all!!

Maranello bound????

I would be happy to see him go to Mercedes or McLaren personally. He will probably retire though.
Or go to Ferrari with Lewie... ??

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Sounds like Adrian disliked the way internal powers higher up were trying to oust Horner and he is in a position where Red Bull needs him more than he needs Red Bull.

He still seems thirsty judging by his note taking on rival teams recently, and his appearance at Bologna airport could link him to one of the three teams that can afford him. Mercedes and Aston Martin are keen for his services but I think Ferrari would be top choice as it would be a lovely addition to an already sparkling CV. Ferrari also has a very different culture to 10 plus years ago and he would get to work with Hamilton who he shared an interest with doing so apparently.

I wonder if Horner will be the next to leave Red Bull? I know Newey and Marko didn’t see ‘eye to eye’ (sorry) and Max apparently has an option to leave if Marko does, but not sure if there is the same clause for Newey. All very interesting and hopefully it mixes things up a bit in future.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yeah that’s what I hinted at when I said Maranello.

I’d say Ferrari from what’s out there. I don’t think Mercedes can be ruled out yet.

Although I’d love to see him at AMR with Max and Fernando. 😉
While every team will be making an offer, I presume Ferrari is the top option if he stays. And if he does, it is going to make 2026 a lot more interesting!

Also hearing rumors that Sargeant will be dropped after Miami and replaced with Antonelli. While Antonelli is too young to formally be granted a Super License (he turns 18 in August), the FIA did offer special dispensation for Verstappen to receive a license while still 17 and it is said that is what Williams would ask for here.

Do you see Antonelli in that seat as further experience for a 2025 Mercedes seat, or him being in that seat for 2025?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Do you see Antonelli in that seat as further experience for a 2025 Mercedes seat, or him being in that seat for 2025?

So many variables right now...

With Newey leaving at the end of the season, is Max interested in filling Lewis' seat? Especially if Newey decides on staying in the UK and joins the Brackley outfit?

If Max stays at Red Bull, does Mercedes make a serious play for Sainz? And does Sainz agree to drive for them?

Does the FIA bend the rules and allow Kimi an early Super License to race starting at Imola, or do they make him wait until his 18th birthday on 25 August, which means Monza on 30 August at the earliest. This would still give him nine races to show his stuff, but if he struggles and the decision is keep him at Williams for 2025 to continue to adapt, Mercedes might have lost out on drivers with contracts coming due at the end of the year and sign deals before Abu Dhabi...

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Interesting times. I think Sainz will wait to see where Adrian Newey ends up before making a commitment. If its Ferrari then too bad for him. But if its Mercedes he moves to then I think Sainz will be knocking on Toto's door.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
So many speculations everywhere. Nobody knows anything besides Andrew himself.

Red Bull made a statement that they aren’t aware of any formal communication, resignation.

A Sky reporter had also noted that he is under contract for another year. And when wanting to leave is subjected to a 12 month gardening leave period. A uk term for senior staff and quite common. I was twice for six month being paid and not allowed to work for anyone else.

So earliest he could go and be active for another team is 2027.

But will the person with the real version of truth please standup. ;)

Perhaps this is another attempt at causing turmoil within Red bull when it seemed to have failed with Horner. Who knows.

I blame Suzie 😈🤣

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Interesting times. I think Sainz will wait to see where Adrian Newey ends up before making a commitment. If its Ferrari then too bad for him. But if its Mercedes he moves to then I think Sainz will be knocking on Toto's door.

Mercedes would be more convenient seeing as where he lives but they have Allison there who has won many world titles with his leadership. He’s only just come back too. Newey will be away from the sport for half a season, if there is no breach of contract, beyond that he’ll be available in time for 2026 which maybe too late for any meaningful impact. I don’t think Sainz will be of interest to Mercedes either, they have Russell and other younger options. Sainz will likely end up at Audi I think.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Max has more of a chance at Mercedes than Carlos if Adrian ends up there. If this round is confirmed I think Adrian would go to Mercedes or AMR over Ferrari. Maybe not.

I’ll admit all this hoopla today does seem to follow last weekends banter between Toto and Christian. Horner did seem unusually defensive.

Miami will be another Stress Test for RBR.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Mercedes would be more convenient seeing as where he lives but they have Allison there who has won many world titles with his leadership. He’s only just come back too. Newey will be away from the sport for half a season, if there is no breach of contract, beyond that he’ll be available in time for 2026 which maybe too late for any meaningful impact.

I don't know to what level of control Newey has over the design of the chassis at Red Bull. If it is "extensive", then he might not fit well at Mercedes (even though they seem to desperately need a talented aerodynamicist) and he definitely would not fit well at McLaren based on what happened with Sanchez (who appears to have been hired with the expectation he would be in charge of car design and not "one of three" as Stella has instituted).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Hulk this morning. A bit of an upgrade.

de770fe6738fcdf1f26dd14e9ae5dfe4.jpg

Sainz not going there then in readiness for Audi.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I don't know to what level of control Newey has over the design of the chassis at Red Bull. If it is "extensive", then he might not fit well at Mercedes (even though they seem to desperately need a talented aerodynamicist) and he definitely would not fit well at McLaren based on what happened with Sanchez (who appears to have been hired with the expectation he would be in charge of car design and not "one of three" as Stella has instituted).

There are some good reads out there suggesting Newey may not have been as hands on with the RB20 as we might believe. I think Wache going to Ferrari might be a larger 'hands on' issue than Newey leaving.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Wonder who will be in the other Audi? Both Bottas and Zhou are on the last year of their current contracts. Pourchaire is still under contract with the team too.

I presume Hulk is replacing Zhou.

It has been well-reported that Audi has offered Sainz a very lucrative contract, so either Sainz has signed with someone else (Red Bull? Mercedes? Aston?) or Bottas' seat is still on offer to Sainz should he agree to take it.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
The future of racing began last weekend at the Yas Marina circuit with the inaugural race of the Abu Dhabi Autonomous Racing League. My main take home from this is to watch out for people on the road using the various “autopilot” variants.

The race had to be restarted after one car spun on its own and couldn’t turn itself around, leading to a yellow flag. The other cars, being obedient drones, knew that they couldn’t overtake under yellow causing the entire four-car grid to grind to a halt in the middle of the track.

1714419932006.gif

1714419890704.gif

1714419855955.gif

1714419956979.gif

Here’s the full race coverage: https://www.youtube.com/live/HZPj9iAWz-4?si=jLZ45cxcljxwjB9h

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The future of racing began last weekend at the Yas Marina circuit with the inaugural race of the Abu Dhabi Autonomous Racing League. My main take home from this is to watch out for people on the road using the various “autopilot” variants.

The race had to be restarted after one car spun on its own and couldn’t turn itself around, leading to a yellow flag. The other cars, being obedient drones, knew that they couldn’t overtake under yellow causing the entire four-car grid to grind to a halt in the middle of the track.

View attachment 2373092
View attachment 2373088
View attachment 2373087
View attachment 2373094

Here’s the full race coverage: https://www.youtube.com/live/HZPj9iAWz-4?si=jLZ45cxcljxwjB9h

I did see this and wondered what the point of it actually is? Might as well watch someone on a PlayStation.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

View attachment 2373092
View attachment 2373088
View attachment 2373087
View attachment 2373094

Like a real life scalectrix...I can see the technical appeal, can't see the spectator appeal...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I did see this and wondered what the point of it actually is? Might as well watch someone on a PlayStation.

My guess is to advance the technology, though the teams only had like a month to acclimate and program the vehicles. And while the race was pretty farcical, the team that did "win" earned $2.5 million.

If you are interested in what happened, I suggest watching this instead of the full race:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.