Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
The future of racing began last weekend at the Yas Marina circuit with the inaugural race of the Abu Dhabi Autonomous Racing League. My main take home from this is to watch out for people on the road using the various “autopilot” variants.

The race had to be restarted after one car spun on its own and couldn’t turn itself around, leading to a yellow flag. The other cars, being obedient drones, knew that they couldn’t overtake under yellow causing the entire four-car grid to grind to a halt in the middle of the track.

View attachment 2373092
View attachment 2373088
View attachment 2373087
View attachment 2373094

Here’s the full race coverage: https://www.youtube.com/live/HZPj9iAWz-4?si=jLZ45cxcljxwjB9h
I don't understand why they don't have a "driver" figure...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My guess is to advance the technology, though the teams only had like a month to acclimate and program the vehicles. And while the race was pretty farcical, the team that did "win" earned $2.5 million.

If you are interested in what happened, I suggest watching this instead of the full race:
I just can't think of anything more dull, sterile and so far removed from the essence of what motor racing really is. Watching the best drivers in the World compete, taking calulated risks and demonstrating the limits of human abilities behind the wheel, that is appealing. I know F1 is no longer pure racing like road racing still is as its too safe, but still, its the pinnacle of single seater motorsport and I sincerely hope AI simulated track racing dies a death very quickly indeed.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Aren't they digital cars though?
They are standard Super Formula cars from Dallara with the autonomous bits added on.

I just can't think of anything more dull, sterile and so far removed from the essence of what motor racing really is. Watching the best drivers in the World compete, taking calulated risks and demonstrating the limits of human abilities behind the wheel, that is appealing. I know F1 is no longer pure racing like road racing still is as its too safe, but still, its the pinnacle of single seater motorsport and I sincerely hope AI simulated track racing dies a death very quickly indeed.
It has its place as an engineering contest, though it probably won't ever draw large crowds. I really don't see F1 as a competition between drivers though either. It too is just teams competing over who built the fastest cars.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm leaning towards his retirement from F1.

I’m thinking that is a likely outcome too. He’s 65 years old, a very wealthy man and has had an amazing career in F1. He’s got nothing left to win or prove and should probably enjoy the rest of his life with his family, rather than travelling around the world in the F1 circus. It also suggests there is a culture within Red Bull of late that isn’t very pleasant and he’s likely keen to get the hell out of there.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I’m thinking that is a likely outcome too. He’s 65 years old, a very wealthy man and has had an amazing career in F1. He’s got nothing left to win or prove and should probably enjoy the rest of his life with his family, rather than travelling around the world in the F1 circus. It also suggests there is a culture within Red Bull of late that isn’t very pleasant and he’s likely keen to get the hell out of there.

I was watching a documentary a few months ago on the design and construction of his 27’ Oyster Sailing Yacht. It was due to be delivered in 2024. 😉😉

Quite an amazing vessel. Not a huge sail fan, however Oyster builds exceptional Sailing Yachts in Southampton.

m..

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
I was watching a documentary a few months ago on the design and construction of his 27’ Oyster Sailing Yacht. It was due to be delivered in 2024. 😉😉

Quite an amazing vessel. Not a huge sail fan, however Oyster builds exceptional Sailing Yachts in Southampton.
This one?
Adrien Newey having thoughts about retirement(semi or full) seems likely, when he says things like he is "starting to have a bit more time available" (for hobbies). Or "spending weeks or months at a time" on board.
And when he has the option it would be tempting to walk away from all the unpleasant parts of his job.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This one?
Adrien Newey having thoughts about retirement(semi or full) seems likely, when he says things like he is "starting to have a bit more time available" (for hobbies). Or "spending weeks or months at a time" on board.
And when he has the option it would be tempting to walk away from all the unpleasant parts of his job.

Yes it is. Scheduled delivery right about now…….😉😉😉

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Hmmm a culture that is created outside of Red Bull. Just like the situation surrounding Horner, and the wild wild stories surrounding Newey, and the vilification of super Max. Perpetuated by many, even when there are no facts. Just like what you are doing here.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was watching a documentary a few months ago on the design and construction of his 27’ Oyster Sailing Yacht. It was due to be delivered in 2024.

He has been involved in several sailing projects over the years so maybe that’ll be his full time hobby. Some of the best yachts in the world are built on the south coast. I visited Sunseeker a few years ago with work, very impressive design and engineering.

Reactions: Glideslope

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Sainz going to Aston Martin to team up with compatriot Fernando Alonso?
That would be a decent option for Carlos but all depends on Lawrence and if the pressure he has from shareholders is firm enough to axe Lance. It must reach a point where enough is enough. Carlos is a solid driver and will return a consistent number of points and Aston Martin need those points very much. Fernando would probably appreciate the push from a competitive teammate too.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The inevitable finally confirmed.

ef9dc2afc56cc38e524e08ce71e8b5e2.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But what will he do next?
Its the Scuderia or retire from F1 and pursue alternative challenges I think. Aston Martin have apparently made him the biggest financial offer but sources close to him say money is not a motivator. It could be his concerns about the 2026 regulations are enough for him to simply walk away. Maybe the business at Red Bull was enough to close the chapter.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It’s the Scuderia or retire from F1 and pursue alternative challenges I think. Aston Martin have apparently made him the biggest financial offer but sources close to him say money is not a motivator. It could be his concerns about the 2026 regulations are enough for him to simply walk away. Maybe the business at Red Bull was enough to close the chapter.

So, attending the remaining 2024 races, but only working on the HC Project until early 2025?? I was under the impression he wanted nothing to do with it? Looks like he has stopped contributing to the RB21 immediately? This will be interesting if true.

Can join another team in 2025 to work on a 2026 design or retire. That sure leaves allot of time to negotiate. Would have loved to have been a fly inside that Challenger flight to Miami. It sounds like they gave him what he wanted.

Tough call. I’m not as convinced of retirement as I was yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.