Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
2024 CHinese GP Results:
11Max VerstappenRED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT561:40:52.55425
24Lando NorrisMCLAREN MERCEDES56+13.773s18
311Sergio PerezRED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT56+19.160s15
416Charles LeclercFERRARI56+23.623s12
555Carlos SainzFERRARI56+33.983s10
663George RussellMERCEDES56+38.724s8
714Fernando AlonsoASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES56+43.414s7
881Oscar PiastriMCLAREN MERCEDES56+56.198s4
944Lewis HamiltonMERCEDES56+57.986s2
1027Nico HulkenbergHAAS FERRARI56+60.476s1
1131Esteban OconALPINE RENAULT56+62.812s0
1223Alexander AlbonWILLIAMS MERCEDES56+65.506s0
1310Pierre GaslyALPINE RENAULT56+69.223s0
1424Zhou GuanyuKICK SAUBER FERRARI56+71.689s0
1518Lance StrollASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES56+82.786s0
1620Kevin MagnussenHAAS FERRARI56+87.533s0
172Logan SargeantWILLIAMS MERCEDES56+95.110s0
NC3Daniel RicciardoRB HONDA RBPT33DNF0
NC22Yuki TsunodaRB HONDA RBPT26DNF0
NC77Valtteri BottasKICK SAUBER FERRARI19DNF0

Haven't seen the race, but looking at the positions from 2 down I will now! Lewis did well. 13 second lead by Max, well better then the 30 seconds Lewis used to manage I guess?

Reactions: pachyderm

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know if the W15 is more junk than it is slower than the rest. The W15 is essentially a brand new concept in year 1 while everyone is in year 3. It's not really competitive but I don't think anyone thought it would be. The big upgrades coming up will be telling what this new platform could be capable of heading into the new regulations which will still be based off of ground effect but with a new engine.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Yesterrday for some reason, the day was perfect, we had F1 in the early AM, then for the afternoon, 6 hours of Imola, and no question, 6 hours of Imola is 120 000 times better than 10 seasons of F1, way more action in 6 hours, and it was not for 1 second boring...
What made it even better was the commentary team, really way way way better than the graveyard dead team at Sky...
WEC 6 hours/24 hours, multi car category, is produced in a much more professional manner than F1, and and it was on youtube, you could find in car camera streams, or the same feed as I was watching live on the broadcaster here... Ant Davidson, and others on commentary, having access to teams/drivers/managers at a level superior to F1...

Not sure but F1 really should use WEC as a template, F1 has lost sight of who/what F1 is, if you want certain aspects of F1, you pay for them, for the rest, stick the event on youtube, there is no loss of revenue.. WEC is an FIA brand, says so on the watermark, on the youtube stream, so really if WEC is broadcast/streamed on youtube, then F1/F2/F3/Porsche Super-Cup should as well..

The best part of the 6 hours was the last 2 hours, when it started to rain, and the chaos, of teams having to decide on pit stops/tyres, stay out/change to wets.. The 2 very strong minded commentators, totally disagreeing, it was comedy gold, echo of Walkerism's a plenty.. Cars going off, the way WEC handles full course yellows, the broadcast count down to a full course yellow, then the count down to a lifting of..make for a way better event than the drier than dry rice cakes of F1... F1 should really improve the production..

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yesterrday for some reason, the day was perfect, we had F1 in the early AM, then for the afternoon, 6 hours of Imola, and no question, 6 hours of Imola is 120 000 times better than 10 seasons of F1, way more action in 6 hours, and it was not for 1 second boring...
What made it even better was the commentary team, really way way way better than the graveyard dead team at Sky...
WEC 6 hours/24 hours, multi car category, is produced in a much more professional manner than F1, and and it was on youtube, you could find in car camera streams, or the same feed as I was watching live on the broadcaster here... Ant Davidson, and others on commentary, having access to teams/drivers/managers at a level superior to F1...

Not sure but F1 really should use WEC as a template, F1 has lost sight of who/what F1 is, if you want certain aspects of F1, you pay for them, for the rest, stick the event on youtube, there is no loss of revenue.. WEC is an FIA brand, says so on the watermark, on the youtube stream, so really if WEC is broadcast/streamed on youtube, then F1/F2/F3/Porsche Super-Cup should as well..

The best part of the 6 hours was the last 2 hours, when it started to rain, and the chaos, of teams having to decide on pit stops/tyres, stay out/change to wets.. The 2 very strong minded commentators, totally disagreeing, it was comedy gold, echo of Walkerism's a plenty.. Cars going off, the way WEC handles full course yellows, the broadcast count down to a full course yellow, then the count down to a lifting of..make for a way better event than the drier than dry rice cakes of F1... F1 should really improve the production..
There is nothing wrong with you enjoying other race format. Just enjoy them, but please stop going on about turning F1 into them. Make you sound like those android people who want iOS to be more like android. Just switch off from F1 if you don't like it, there are clearly other series that you do like.

Bye :)

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Haven't seen the race, but looking at the positions from 2 down I will now! Lewis did well. 13 second lead by Max, well better then the 30 seconds Lewis used to manage I guess?
Yes, definitely watch it. The end state doesn't tell the whole story. It was a good one.

Reactions: Pezimak

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't know if the W15 is more junk than it is slower than the rest. The W15 is essentially a brand new concept in year 1 while everyone is in year 3. It's not really competitive but I don't think anyone thought it would be. The big upgrades coming up will be telling what this new platform could be capable of heading into the new regulations which will still be based off of ground effect but with a new engine.
And Albon managed 12th !

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Again, very sorry I didn't put it in "spoiler" tags.

Haha you don’t need to, I know I haven’t seen the race but deliberately read the F1 thread, I expect the results to be posted, don’t worry about it my friend, it would only be surprising if Max didn’t win 😂. I find my time very limited these days so may miss some races and read this thread anyway.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Speaking of other series, IndyCar raced the Long Beach GP yesterday on what used to be an F1 street circuit until 1983. Pretty tight racing as always with IndyCar.

It was very racy. Incredible last laps charge by Dixon.

Another Honda Power Victory..... ;)

Time will tell. I don't see any sign Mercedes has a clue as to the chassis. It's going on 3 Seasons. I remember Toto on the W14. "It will have different DNA than the W13". How did that go? Same for the W15. The car has genetic balance problems that can't be solved with Race Day adjustments. It needs a completely new chassis from the ground up.

Lewis saw the writing on the wall. He knows.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Mercedes saying they are bringing upgrades to Miami.
Let’s hope it’s a new engine, chassis and aero package.

Not sure if you are being cheeky, but, how will a new Aero Package be decisive at a street circuit such as Miami? Miami is really about wing downforce. A new PU will only be beneficial if it can put the power down. Not really a W15 rear suspension strength.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Time will tell. I don't see any sign Mercedes has a clue as to the chassis. It's going on 3 Seasons. I remember Toto on the W14. "It will have different DNA than the W13". How did that go? Same for the W15. The car has genetic balance problems that can't be solved with Race Day adjustments. It needs a completely new chassis from the ground up.

Lewis saw the writing on the wall. He knows.

I mean that's basically what the W15 is, most of it is different than the W13 and W14. But we will see with the upgrades in Miami and the big one for Imola. Right now, Mercedes is pretty much 3 years behind the rest of the grid with the W15. You could be right that Mercedes is absolutely clueless when it comes to ground effects but if they don't figure it out soon, no engine, no matter how good is going to overcome what has plagued the W13-W15 and it's going to be a long slump going into 2026 and onwards.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not sure if you are being cheeky, but, how will a new Aero Package be decisive at a street circuit such as Miami? Miami is really about wing downforce. A new PU will only be beneficial if it can put the power down. Not really a W15 rear suspension strength.
Being cheeky yes, but in truth the W15 is a dog.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I mean that's basically what the W15 is, most of it is different than the W13 and W14. But we will see with the upgrades in Miami and the big one for Imola. Right now, Mercedes is pretty much 3 years behind the rest of the grid with the W15. You could be right that Mercedes is absolutely clueless when it comes to ground effects but if they don't figure it out soon, no engine, no matter how good is going to overcome what has plagued the W13-W15 and it's going to be a long slump going into 2026 and onwards.

I agree. I think Mercedes has a good idea of what needs to be changed. It probably will be the W17?? in it's first incarnation. They are not going with a start from scratch chassis in 2025.

Something to look forward to is 2026 will be an outright crap shoot. You won't see any team perform like the RB18-RB21. RB included. I just hope it is watchable.
Being cheeky yes, but in truth the W15 is a dog.

I thought there was some Cheeky in there. I do enjoy the posts from you and Real-Deal in the EV thread in here. Very knowledgeable. I won't go into the RAV4 PHEV Mrs. Glidelope and I own though......;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I agree. I think Mercedes has a good idea of what needs to be changed. It probably will be the W17?? in it's first incarnation. They are not going with a start from scratch chassis in 2025.

Something to look forward to is 2026 will be an outright crap shoot. You won't see any team perform like the RB18-RB21. RB included. I just hope it is watchable.

I thought there was some Cheeky in there. I do enjoy the posts from you and Real-Deal in the EV thread in here. Very knowledgeable. I won't go into the RAV4 PHEV Mrs. Glidelope and I own though......;)
My concern with 2026 is RBR will have a lot longer to develop it than the rest as they have all the advantage now and 2025.

On a slightly different topic, if you could choose any team to drive for except RBR which team would you choose to give you the best chance of winning?

I was thinking about Sainz and his possible options (assuming RBR isn’t an option). Which would you expect to get it right?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
My concern with 2026 is RBR will have a lot longer to develop it than the rest as they have all the advantage now and 2025.

On a slightly different topic, if you could choose any team to drive for except RBR which team would you choose to give you the best chance of winning?

I was thinking about Sainz and his possible options (assuming RBR isn’t an option). Which would you expect to get it right?

I acknowledge the RBR advantage in development time. So…..

If any team were available, not just current open seats, then I would want to be in the AMR26/Honda. I‘m hoping Lance doesn’t re-sign this week, but it’s not looking good for that. RBR is still talking to me, but they want me on the cheap. Toto keeps playing games with me…..

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

They changed this, teams can no longer start development of next year's car until a certain date. This will ensure that everyone starts at the same time should they choose to start on the earliest start date as possible.

But at this point, not sure how much it really even matters because 3 years in, RBR are still leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else so in terms of the 2026 regulations, they already have a starting point that is way ahead of everyone else.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
They changed this, teams can no longer start development of next year's car until a certain date. This will ensure that everyone starts at the same time should they choose to start on the earliest start date as possible.

But at this point, not sure how much it really even matters because 3 years in, RBR are still leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else so in terms of the 2026 regulations, they already have a starting point that is way ahead of everyone else.

The state of 2026 regulations is still in a state of flux after the unexpected Simulation Results with the 2 Stage Rear Wing, are they not?

RBR can only Model in a Simulation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.