Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
MacRumors had a video sometime back (I want to say like five-ish months ago) where they challenged themselves to streamline Apple's product line. I think I have a stab at it and I think it's probably not too far off from what Apple is going to do.

A 12.9-inch iPad Air is being rumored heavily enough that I think that it's probably a safe bet. If the iPad Air is to have a 10.9-inch version and a 12.9-inch version, while the iPad Pro has an 11-inch and 13-inch sizes, then you've basically mimicked what is going on in MacBook-land with there being 13.6-inch and 15.3-inch MacBook Air sizes and 14.2-inch and 16.2-inch MacBook Pro sizes.

So, my prediction is this:

Apple is finally going to streamline the iPad line.

Three sizes of iPad Air and Pro, mostly similar sizes (with the Pros being slightly larger). You'll have something sized around the ballpark of the current iPad mini, something in the 10.9/11 inch range and something in the 12.9/13 inch range. Three sizes of iPad for Air and Pro. The iPad mini will basically exist in two versions, drop the "mini" moniker and be either "Pro" or "Air" (sort of sensible seeing as the smallest iPad meets the original marketing goal Apple had with "Air" in 2008 in that it is so small and light that it just disappears).

If the standard iPad continues to exist after this, it'll either relegate to an education/business/education-and-business only model or drop further in price to finally replace the price point still held by the 9th Generation iPad (which, at this point, has been around long enough to serve anyone still needing lightning as the primary data connection interface). My guess is that Apple is needing products to keep increasing in price to maintain revenue (as has been the trend among non-Pro iPhones as well as most iPad models for a while now). But, it'd definitely result in a much cleaner lineup and also provide (artificial) justification for 2023 being the first year since the iPad first launched without any iPad launch.

Reactions: boston04and07

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Makes sense to me.

There’s the non-laminated display iPad (one size). There’s the laminated display iPad (3 sizes). And there’s the kitchen-sink iPad (2 sizes).

Make the top line iPad a bit more expensive in order to create more space between each tier, and it will make more sense overall than the current mess.

The other thing they need to do is knock off this $150 storage upgrade thing. As it is now upgrading the storage on lower tier iPads gets your cost up to almost the price of the next tier up iPad.

• Haha
Reactions: d5aqoëp

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Disagree that we’ll be getting a mini iPad Pro but with you on the rest. I do think the mini will exist separately however as Apple seem to want it to have its own update schedule.

Reactions: Dopestar

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
They either go all-in on offering 3 screen sizes at every price point or dump the larger models altogether and double down on portability. Anything in between is just a mess.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
IMHO the iPad is not in a great place: sales have been trending down for years and the OS revamp with Stage Manager was a damp squib. Logic Pro was a big App release, but I can't see much else of note outside of a cherry picked game or two getting an iPad release to drive iPad App Store revenue.

My feeling is that devs who are not already on iPad aren't looking to enter that market. Why take the App Store route when you could focus on cloud/web versions with broader appeal and no Apple tax.

Which means my prediction is that 2024 will see iPad Pro get a facelift to juice sales a bit, M3 (because why not) and a small price hike.

At the low end I think Apple will drop the 9th Gen from the range so the entry price is now £499 for the 10th Gen instead of £369 for the 9th Gen.

If Apple is being generous the 10th Gen might get a £50 price cut as that still probably increases Apple's average selling price.

And I think that (unfortunately) will be all. That new iPad Pro had better be beautiful!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
MacRumors had a video sometime back (I want to say like five-ish months ago) where they challenged themselves to streamline Apple's product line. I think I have a stab at it and I think it's probably not too far off from what Apple is going to do.

A 12.9-inch iPad Air is being rumored heavily enough that I think that it's probably a safe bet. If the iPad Air is to have a 10.9-inch version and a 12.9-inch version, while the iPad Pro has an 11-inch and 13-inch sizes, then you've basically mimicked what is going on in MacBook-land with there being 13.6-inch and 15.3-inch MacBook Air sizes and 14.2-inch and 16.2-inch MacBook Pro sizes.

So, my prediction is this:

Apple is finally going to streamline the iPad line.

Three sizes of iPad Air and Pro, mostly similar sizes (with the Pros being slightly larger). You'll have something sized around the ballpark of the current iPad mini, something in the 10.9/11 inch range and something in the 12.9/13 inch range. Three sizes of iPad for Air and Pro. The iPad mini will basically exist in two versions, drop the "mini" moniker and be either "Pro" or "Air" (sort of sensible seeing as the smallest iPad meets the original marketing goal Apple had with "Air" in 2008 in that it is so small and light that it just disappears).

If the standard iPad continues to exist after this, it'll either relegate to an education/business/education-and-business only model or drop further in price to finally replace the price point still held by the 9th Generation iPad (which, at this point, has been around long enough to serve anyone still needing lightning as the primary data connection interface). My guess is that Apple is needing products to keep increasing in price to maintain revenue (as has been the trend among non-Pro iPhones as well as most iPad models for a while now). But, it'd definitely result in a much cleaner lineup and also provide (artificial) justification for 2023 being the first year since the iPad first launched without any iPad launch.
I mean, this sounds great and all, but I seriously doubt it is happening. We have no rumors of an iPad Mini Pro.

Most likely we are just getting a 12.9" iPad Air to go alongside the current iPad Air. And then also OLED iPad Pros as well.

This fall the 9th gen iPad will be dropped. iPad 10th gen and current iPad Mini get spec bumps.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I think the prediction sounds very un-Apple, and would create many problems if you think about it (specially that iPad mini Pro). Who knows… but my prediction is:

- iPad Pro stays as it is (and it’s updated).
- iPad Air adds 13ish inch (but it’s NOT updated, maybe just basic stuff).
- iPad mini stays as it is (and it’s updated).
- iPad 10th gen stays as it is.
- iPad 9th gen is… maybe discontinued? 50% probability.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
IMHO the iPad is not in a great place: sales have been trending down for years and the OS revamp with Stage Manager was a damp squib. Logic Pro was a big App release, but I can't see much else of note outside of a cherry picked game or two getting an iPad release to drive iPad App Store revenue.

My feeling is that devs who are not already on iPad aren't looking to enter that market. Why take the App Store route when you could focus on cloud/web versions with broader appeal and no Apple tax.

Which means my prediction is that 2024 will see iPad Pro get a facelift to juice sales a bit, M3 (because why not) and a small price hike.

At the low end I think Apple will drop the 9th Gen from the range so the entry price is now £499 for the 10th Gen instead of £369 for the 9th Gen.

If Apple is being generous the 10th Gen might get a £50 price cut as that still probably increases Apple's average selling price.

And I think that (unfortunately) will be all. That new iPad Pro had better be beautiful!
I agree the iPad isn't in a position of strength, and it's not hard to see why. There have been no major changes since I bought my 12.9in iPad Pro over 5 years ago. Stage Manager, widgets and janky external display support don't count. Then we come onto prices, which in Europe are criminal. I will not be paying a price increase on the already ridiculous £1,249 for an OLED 13in iPad Pro. I will simply run my current 2018 iPad into the ground and then buy an iPad Air.

cougarmeat

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
Bend OR
There's a niche the iPad Mini fills that I haven't seen done by any other vendor. When I'm on expedition, via hiking or kayaking, or basically just staying in touch while traveling, the iPad Mini gives me the luxury of Big Real Estate, yet portability. As one ages - hopefully you will all get there - small screens and fonts can be a challenge. Sure, I could probably use an iPhone; but why work that hard when the larger screen area of the Mini is the cat's meow.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I just hope these new iPads will still work with the Apple Pencil 2.

I’m considering a larger iPad to replace my iPad Air 4 but not wanting to spend money on an all new stylus.

My guess is that a Pencil 3 will work only with the iPad Pro. If so, it’ll be the 12.9” iPad Air.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I just hope these new iPads will still work with the Apple Pencil 2.

I’m considering a larger iPad to replace my iPad Air 4 but not wanting to spend money on an all new stylus.

My guess is that a Pencil 3 will work only with the iPad Pro. If so, it’ll be the 12.9” iPad Air.
IMO, the Pencil 3 is not better than the Pencil 2.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
In order to gain that extra 0.1” to 13”, do we think the new iPad Pro model will have a notch?

So even smaller bezels with notch, but keeping the overall size the same.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
In order to gain that extra 0.1” to 13”, do we think the new iPad Pro model will have a notch?

So even smaller bezels with notch, but keeping the overall size the same.
No, as you need a bezel to hold it. Which means Apple will ensure the iPad Pro has a notch because they don't know what good design is anymore. Lol.

Reactions: Matsamoto

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I agree the iPad isn't in a position of strength, and it's not hard to see why. There have been no major changes since I bought my 12.9in iPad Pro over 5 years ago. Stage Manager, widgets and janky external display support don't count. Then we come onto prices, which in Europe are criminal. I will not be paying a price increase on the already ridiculous £1,249 for an OLED 13in iPad Pro. I will simply run my current 2018 iPad into the ground and then buy an iPad Air.
That's where I'm at too. Back when I got my gen 2 iPP 12.9 I paid under $1k for a 256gb cellular model (actually got it for $850 from Verizon). I think back then the price of entry on a 256gb cellular 12.9 was $1079 retail. Today it's $1399 and although the iPad Pro itself has come a very long way hardware wise the software side hasn't changed enough to add value for ME personally because I have other devices that each fill their own niche in my workflows. For me I only use the iPads that I own as portable content consumption and web browsing devices so I can't justify the hardware prices on the higher end models anymore. Not really sure what the future holds as far as my interest in continuing to purchase iPad devices but for now I'll stick with my old 12.9 and my mini 6.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Disagree that we’ll be getting a mini iPad Pro but with you on the rest. I do think the mini will exist separately however as Apple seem to want it to have its own update schedule.
I do too, but I sure wish they had an iPad mini that was far better than the junk they sell now. The jelly scrolling on it makes it worthless to me.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Makes sense to me.

There’s the non-laminated display iPad (one size). There’s the laminated display iPad (3 sizes). And there’s the kitchen-sink iPad (2 sizes).

Make the top line iPad a bit more expensive in order to create more space between each tier, and it will make more sense overall than the current mess.

The other thing they need to do is knock off this $150 storage upgrade thing. As it is now upgrading the storage on lower tier iPads gets your cost up to almost the price of the next tier up iPad.
Wow you must be on different coolaid to ask Apple for price hike of their otherwise overpriced products. I can see Apple already loves you.

RichHI

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Princeville, HI
Looking forward to updgrading my elderly (2016) iPad mini. One of my key uses is watching videos in flight. The Oled screen would seem to be a great advantage but I hate the island. Many videos on youtube with predictions and supposed insight show the Pro with and without the island. I am hoping that the 13" pro or the 12.9" Air is offered without notch or island. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Wow you must be on different coolaid to ask Apple for price hike of their otherwise overpriced products. I can see Apple already loves you.
Can't be from Europe if they are asking for price rises. We've had horrendously expensive iPads for years (largely due to exchange rates, but Apple hasn't adjusted them downwards in the last year. Funny that....). I'm looking forward to the cheapest iPad Pro 11in being £1k/1.1k EUR and Apple wondering why their iPads are selling like s**t.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Looking forward to updgrading my elderly (2016) iPad mini. One of my key uses is watching videos in flight. The Oled screen would seem to be a great advantage but I hate the island. Many videos on youtube with predictions and supposed insight show the Pro with and without the island. I am hoping that the 13" pro or the 12.9" Air is offered without notch or island. Does anyone have any insight on this?
If they go with a notch on the iPad that would be ridiculous. There’s plenty of room without it. And iPads dominate. They put the notch in the MacBooks for marketing so everyone could identify a MacBook. Just like the iMac has a huge chin but no visible Apple logo on the front anymore. With the iPhone everyone knows their notch/island means a iPhone. With the iPad they dominate without any real competition. I sure hope they don’t ruin the user experience for marketing in a product category that has no real competition. I hate it with the iPhone and the MacBook, but I realize what Apple’s doing is making marketing decisions and forcing the design team to adopt them.

Reactions: RichHI

Turfschipper

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
I think apple will not give us a mini pro cause they are afraid the masses who use ipads for youtube and browsing, email etc. will find out one day that mini format is by far the most handy ipad for them.

A mini pro will eat away so much other ipad sales it will hurt them.

Just a thought..... could it be like this?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I think apple will not give us a mini pro cause they are afraid the masses who use ipads for youtube and browsing, email etc. will find out one day that mini format is by far the most handy ipad for them.

A mini pro will eat away so much other ipad sales it will hurt them.

Just a thought..... could it be like this?

No, I doubt we'd ever see a mini pro. In fact, the mini has always been a side project for Apple, I don't see that changing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.