Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I think apple will not give us a mini pro cause they are afraid the masses who use ipads for youtube and browsing, email etc. will find out one day that mini format is by far the most handy ipad for them.

A mini pro will eat away so much other ipad sales it will hurt them.

Just a thought..... could it be like this?
Fun to speculate. I don't know about this - the two devices are in the same market segment anyhow so this isn't the same as if touch/pencil support were added to a Macbook or MacOS was added to an iPad. Those who would otherwise own two iPads (a mini and a larger iPad) are still likely to own two because they wanted the flexibility of having both form factors. I'm not saying there wouldn't be any impact in sales but I just think it wouldn't be significant enough to be a detractor for Apple to decide on doing a Pro in mini form factor.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think apple will not give us a mini pro cause they are afraid the masses who use ipads for youtube and browsing, email etc. will find out one day that mini format is by far the most handy ipad for them.

A mini pro will eat away so much other ipad sales it will hurt them.

Just a thought..... could it be like this?

Large smartphones have pretty much eroded a lot of the iPad mini’s (and small tablets) marketshare and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

For many, they don’t see much point in buying 2 similar devices.

I reckon Apple doesn’t make an iPad mini pro because the ROI wouldn’t justify it.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Large smartphones have pretty much eroded a lot of the iPad mini’s (and small tablets) marketshare and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

For many, they don’t see much point in buying 2 similar devices.

I reckon Apple doesn’t make an iPad mini pro because the ROI wouldn’t justify it.

Thinking about the same myself as well, the cost of the device would put it in a spot where it might not sell well enough to make any sense for them given the quantity what would be sold. Would love to have a mini pro myself, instant buy for me, but I too think it's unlikely.

Reactions: ThailandToo

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Thinking about the same myself as well, the cost of the device would put it in a spot where it might not sell well enough to make any sense for them given the quantity what would be sold. Would love to have a mini pro myself, instant buy for me, but I too think it's unlikely.
How about just a mini iPad without jelly scrolling! I would take that!

Reactions: muzzy996

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Pro models will get OLED screens, M3 chip, Face ID in landscape orientation, maybe a slightly different chassis design. And a big price bump. And the same restrictive iPad OS!!!... I've not used mine that much since getting an iPhone Max very recently because it's the exact same experience.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
My prediction

M3 pros with OLED screens. Higher price.
Ipad Air update with M3 but regular screens (possibly including a larger Air).
Ipad 10.9 Update to M1 chip. Similar price.
Ipad 9th -> 10th Gen 10.2" with A14 Bionic. Similar price. Target at Edu market.

Maybe that is too many model updates... yeah, probably.

Edit: seeing some stock clearance (steep Amazon, Costco discounts) of the current 10.9 models in UK...so I think that update is quite likely.

Reactions: satchmo

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
My prediction

Ipad 9th -> 10th Gen 10.2" with A14 Bionic. Similar price. Target at Edu market.

Edit: seeing some stock clearance (steep Amazon, Costco discounts) of the current 10.9 models in UK...so I think that update is quite likely.

Sounds about right.

Although they might let the 9th gen iPad languish further and knock off the price further. It’s already the bastard child with it’s massive bezels, but ideal for younger kids to use.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
My prediction

Looks about right. Rumours have focused on the iPad Air and Pro models.

I'm very curious about two things, 1) price of the new Pros - how expensive will they be? Especially in Europe. 2) What features will the iPad Air skimp on? I assume promotion, for one.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I hope it doesn’t have dynamic island it looks dreadful on the YouTube vids
Chances are it will never happen. iPads are big devices, they need their bezels in order to be held comfortably without touching the screen, and a camera can easily fit in them. iPhones are smaller and can be more easily held by the sides even without the bezel, and the dynamic island is basically a fancy compromise for having no bezels.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Chances are it will never happen. iPads are big devices, they need their bezels in order to be held comfortably without touching the screen, and a camera can easily fit in them. iPhones are smaller and can be more easily held by the sides even without the bezel, and the dynamic island is basically a fancy compromise for having no bezels.
Yeah this is my rationale as well. iPhones and MacBooks can have small bezels and notches/dynamic islands because you can use them without accidental touches, but for an iPad you need your hands to basically wrap around the sides to hold it properly, and a place for your thumbs to go when you're not using them.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My prediction

M3 Pros with OLED screens is inevitable at this point, but doubtful the Air will see a M3 chip… that will be upgraded to a M2.

And the 10.9 will stay with the A series chip and a price drop. With all these rumors claiming Apple is going to clean up the lineup… I think the old design (9th/10th) iPad will no longer be updated. Similar to how Apple took the TouchBar MBP off the lineup.

Yeah this is my rationale as well. iPhones and MacBooks can have small bezels and notches/dynamic islands because you can use them without accidental touches, but for an iPad you need your hands to basically wrap around the sides to hold it properly, and a place for your thumbs to go when you're not using them.
Whenever I’m holding my iPad… it rest on my palms, so it’s never a case where I need to place my thumbs anywhere.

Even when using my phone… that rest on my palms. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care to have a Dynamic Island or notch on an iPad… but I do think that Apple will trim down the bezels (especially the iPad Pro).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Non-Pros all need a new high end storage - 512GB. 256GB is not cutting it anymore.
I wouldn't say that's accurate

256GB is the sweet spot. with iCloud storage 256GB is more than enough. even with films on my iPhone I still have 200GB left of 256GB

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I wouldn't say that's accurate

256GB is the sweet spot. with iCloud storage 256GB is more than enough. even with films on my iPhone I still have 200GB left of 256GB

iCloud will never be as good as or as versatile as local storage. For example, you can't record 4K (and soon 8K) video directly to iCloud. Nor can you play video directly off of iCloud without downloading it first.

So I'm not ure why people keep saying iCloud is a substitute for local storage. For some people maybe.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
iCloud will never be as good as or as versatile as local storage. For example, you can't record 4K (and soon 8K) video directly to iCloud. Nor can you play video directly off of iCloud without downloading it first.

So I'm not ure why people keep saying iCloud is a substitute for local storage. For some people maybe.

It’s only a problem if you don’t have any connection. How often will people need to view content without a connection? Very rarely if ever.

Using iCloud storage remains far superior option. Saves people a lot of money of unneeded storage

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It’s only a problem if you don’t have any connection. How often will people need to view content without a connection? Very rarely if ever.

Using iCloud storage remains far superior option. Saves people a lot of money of unneeded storage

I recently spent 1 week in a province in the Philippines with no/intermittent internet. I’m glad I had plenty of content to choose from downloaded to my 1TB iPad for evening entertainment.

The downloaded content has also been handy whenever there’s a blackout or internet outage at home.

I think of local storage like insurance. I don’t use it most of the time but I’m very glad to have it when needed.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

It's a problem if you use your phone to take 4K video. As i said, you can't take video and save it directly to iCloud while its recording. iCloud (and giving Apple even more money) is never a superior option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalguy

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's a problem if you use your phone to take 4K video. As i said, you can't take video and save it directly to iCloud while its recording. iCloud (and giving Apple even more money) is never a superior option.

The amount you’re giving Apple is nothing compared to the massive costs of buying higher storage options. You can still view the same quality 4K video with a connection. Sure if you want to view things without any connection it’s an issue but certainly not going to be the case in most situations

Reactions: nj-morris

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The amount you’re giving Apple is nothing compared to the massive costs of buying higher storage options. You can still view the same quality 4K video with a connection. Sure if you want to view things without any connection it’s an issue but certainly not going to be the case in most situations

The cost re hardly "massive." You can't stream video from iCloud or record video to iCloud. You can only transfer it back and forth.

Reactions: Digitalguy

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

Sure, it could take several years for the cumulative cost of iCloud to match the cost of a step up in internal storage. . BUT the crux of the decision that individuals have to evaluate is the question you posed; if I'm going to rely upon cloud storage to supplement internal storage then how frequently will I be without internet connection and in the cases that I am without connectivity will my inability to access the data I need be a big issue? On top of that there's the issue of internet service cost itself, with the fact that heavier reliance upon cloud storage will require more data transfer. For folks who are constantly on WiFi that won't be a big deal but for folks who are mostly on cellular it can be.

Apple's really good at building pricing ladders and making it enticing for people to take a step or two up extra rungs on things.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Prediction: great hardware, same iPad OS.

I will die on this hill but the best iPad is the cheapest one, full stop. You get 90ish percent of the Pro experience at a fraction of the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.