Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The Twentieth Aniversary Mac was already released. It was tall, had an 800 x 600 monitor, flat, and cost $10000.

A 25th Aniv. would be more likely to occur sometime in the future.

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
The original 20th Aniversary Mac was to commemorate the birth of Apple, not the Mac I believe. This new 20th Ann. would be for the macintosh itself. I personally would like to see it in a cube enclosure but using black pastics to make it distinctive and follow the original 20th Anniversary Mac.

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
The 20th anniversary mac was to commemmorate 20 years since the birth of Apple. It was released in 1997. The time for a 25th anniversary mac has now come and gone.

This article is talking about something to commemmorate 20 years since the birth of the Macintosh. This would be due in early 2004.

As for the article, The only information they have is somebody claims that Apple has asked for some plastic enclosures similar to the Cube shells. I think it is unlikely that Apple will have a special mac to commemmorate 1984 - 2004, because lots of people will be saying
"hey, didn't they do that about 6 years ago?"

And they certainly couldn't call it the 20th Anniversary Macintosh.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
hey, why not?

I think it would be a nice way to either bring the cube back or to produce a "classic/se30/plus"-like mac in a cube form factor... maybe with the 12" lcd from the iBook :)

put in an 1+ Ghz gobi G3 and out comes a nice and stylish word processor/internet machine or home network server... small, sexy, fanless and cheap

price it at $999,- and I would buy one...

hmmm, won't happen but I can dream ;)

vSpacken

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
20th Anniversary Cube?

MacWhispers believes that there will be a surprise product celebrating the Mac's 20th anniverary.

Based on information they have received, they believe the limited edition mac may be a variant of the Cube form factor.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
I'm also regret selling mine... I only had it for two months when I sold it for 50$ less than I bought it for, and then bought a QS 733 without L3 cache. It wasn't much faster really... A 20th anniversary Cube would've been great! With 970... ;)

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by the future
EVERYBODY needs a Cube...

I guess I'll second that. Don't have one myself, since I found it to be too expensive. And when they lowered the price, they were soo behind the specs of the Power Macs and even of the iMacs that I went for the latter. The form factor is still the best, though. I really would love to own one, especially with a Radeon 9700 or 9800 Pro and a PPC970.

Schweet!

:D

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
If there is one, hopefully it wont cost too much. That would be great if it's like the cube. :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by MacFan25
If there is one, hopefully it wont cost too much. That would be great if it's like the cube. :D

Are you kidding....?? it'll have a hefty price tagged slapped on it, exactly like the 20th Anniversary Mac did when it was announced!!

I'd hope to see something alittle more innovative than the Cube... maybe following the all in one factor of the previous special edition.... but pushing design to the limits....

Whatever it turns out to be.... cheapness isn't going to be in the equation!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Apple's 30th Anniversary will be coming in a few years, they could call it the 30th Anniversary Mac .. but then it would still be the "TAM".

And the iMac was supposed to "commemorate" the original Macintosh by using the same all-in-one concept, wasn't it?

I'm looking forward to a 30th Anniversary Mac .. if they ever make one...

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Cube was over-priced

The Cube was a great product but the price should have been lower than the price of an iMac (today it should be lower than the price of an eMac). I am sure the 20th Anniversary Mac will be even less value for money than the original Cube. The last Anniversary Mac was simply a collectable and by the sound of it so is this.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If they release a G4 20th Anniversary Cube and there are 970s out in the PowerMac line I'd consider that a huge mistake. Giving it a 970 would actually make it a much better machine that would have a little life in it, not something that would have appeal for a short time and then be totally obsolete.

I wouldn't mind having one, but there wouldn't be a reason to pay extra for a machine that's already going to be pricey....

I'd love to see one come out, though.

D

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I wouldn't mind having one, but there wouldn't be a reason to pay extra for a machine that's already going to be pricey....

IF a new Cube will come and IF it will have a PPC 970 (like the Power Macs will have by then, or so we all assume) – then there MIGHT be a VERY GOOD REASON to pay a little extra: IF the new Cube is still FAN-LESS.

And yes, the original Cube was too expensive when it came out first, but after they adjusted the price several months later it wasn't anymore. Too little, too late, though, for most people at the time.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
It's true, the original anniversary mac was waaaaay over-priced, but if they could somehow shoe-horn a fast G4 into a cube enclosure (really not too convinced if this would be possible whilst staying fanless), the music industry would lap them up with the current crop of excellent firewire sound solutions negating the need for PCI in many configurations.

Cube without fan + Digi002. Yes please;)

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
I just replaced the G4 450Mhz chip with a 1Gig from Powerlogix and with 1gig of memory: this Cube has a lot of life left in it and it is highly visible at work. I can't tell you how many people stop and ask if THAT is a computer and after they had a good look and said Wow! a few times, the usual comment is "I wish they had one for Windows!" Oh well!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Maybe it'll be the 4th Anniversary Power Mac Cube to celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Power Mac Cube!!!

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
n
Originally posted by rjwill246
I just replaced the G4 450Mhz chip with a 1Gig from Powerlogix and with 1gig of memory: this Cube has a lot of life left in it and it is highly visible at work. I can't tell you how many people stop and ask if THAT is a computer and after they had a good look and said Wow! a few times, the usual comment is "I wish they had one for Windows!" Oh well!
I'm assuming that the Powerlogix upgrade included a fan? Did it add to the noise generated by the cube by a noticeable amount?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It would be interesting if they simply called it the NeXT Cube, and dumped any ideas of anniversary naming schemes. ;)

Simple, cool, and quiet...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by iGAV
Are you kidding....?? it'll have a hefty price tagged slapped on it, exactly like the 20th Anniversary Mac did when it was announced!!

I'd hope to see something alittle more innovative than the Cube... maybe following the all in one factor of the previous special edition.... but pushing design to the limits....

Whatever it turns out to be.... cheapness isn't going to be in the equation!

I sure hope they don't but I can certainly see you're point.

$10,000 any one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.