Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
E

evilfunkgenius

My sources tell me not to purchase an iMac yet because something exciting will be announced in the next couple of months (possibly with more external metal parts). This rumor fits in with their comments, and by expanding on that I could see an anniversary Macintosh announced at the WWDC along with Panther (and hopefully a new tower?) or at MacWorld NY.

Here's hoping for a raging Macintosh summer, full of announcements.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple has made rectangular computers. They have made cubes. They have made hemispheres. I say it's time for a fully spherical Mac, and an anniversary celebration would be the ideal time for it. I'm sure we're all ready to buy a $10,000 Mac Sphere.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Apple has made rectangular computers. They have made cubes. They have made hemispheres. I say it's time for a fully spherical Mac, and an anniversary celebration would be the ideal time for it. I'm sure we're all ready to buy a $10,000 Mac Sphere.

Just what I need a $10,000 computer that can roll off the desk to it's death.

Are you sure that we aren't talking about a Microsoft design?:p :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by MacBandit
Apple will offer the Mac Sphere with detachable lucite support legs. Third parties will offer other methods of support, plain, fancy, or artistic, plus various kits for hanging or ceiling mounts. And a furniture company will make a transparent desk with a circular depression designed to fit the Mac Sphere exactly.

Best of all, you can apply skins to your Mac Sphere to make it look like the Earth, a basketball, Charlie Brown's head, or anything else round.

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
I sure hope they don't but I can certainly see you're point.

$10,000 any one?

I'll sell my car to buy one!!!

wait, my car ain't worth tnat much...

Oh, I'll sell my house for it!!!

hmm, I ain't got a house yet...

I'll find a job to buy it!!!

ah, who am I kidding...
back to sleep...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I wanted a cube but they discontinued them and ended up with a 733, would love a cube with kickbutt video card and a 1.8 970. Lets just hope they dont play marketing games this time around. ( we all know it was the g4 stagnation and marketing that screwed the cube the first time) The g4 never went anywhere. But then again the metalmac or rather powermac970 does/will have unlimited expansion.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Ideas for 20th Anniversary Mac

Has anyone read The Second Coming Of Steve Jobs? In that book there is a funny story about a prototype computer design shaped liked a human head. Steve Jobs' reported response: "I flew all the way to London for that?!" If ever there was a time for a head-shaped computer now is it. Better yet, how about a computer named HAL that calls everyone Dave?

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp

Are you sure that we aren't talking about a Microsoft design?:p :D

no, no, it is going to have all chrome ehrm... facets and it is going to hang from the ceiling.

Disco is back in style, baby !

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Apple will offer the Mac Sphere with detachable lucite support legs. Third parties will offer other methods of support, plain, fancy, or artistic, plus various kits for hanging or ceiling mounts. And a furniture company will make a transparent desk with a circular depression designed to fit the Mac Sphere exactly.

Best of all, you can apply skins to your Mac Sphere to make it look like the Earth, a basketball, Charlie Brown's head, or anything else round.

The best part about it is when your buddy beats you at UT on the Lan you can bludgeon him to death by swinging the sphere on the end of a security cable. Also can be used to literally knock some sense into the Microsoft die hards.

I can see it now. The new iFlail from Apple. If you can't joint them BEAT them. Mug Differently

Then there's the Ellen Fiess version. I uh well uh it woosh woosh thud crunch and I was like uh what? What was my line??

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Come on, you all are not taking this seriously.

Apple Computer announces the Power Mac 970 iCosahedron. With twenty triangular facets made of polished aquamarine imported from Minas Gerais, Brazil, the iCosahedron is a gem of a computer. Its power switch responds to the wave of a hand (replacement gaskets are available), and its sound system is connected via Bluetooth (and it is the only Apple model which will ever use this mechanism). The external power supply, which looks like a Chevy small-block V8 engine, is easy to locate on the floor or behind a desk.

Pay no attention to those allegations of cracks. Those are naturally occurring imperfections in the aquamarine which give it its character.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I have my doubts, but Steve did imply when they cancelled the cube that they might try to bring it back someday. With all the clamor for a headless iMac, maybe something along those lines is in the cards for a Next Big Thing.

I did find the original TAM exceedingly amusing; the contrast between it and the original iMac pretty much showed why Steve was a heckuva lot better person to run Apple than everybody's favorite "No, really, I saved Apple" punching bag:

May 1997, Apple produces a machine in celebration of their 20th anniversary. It harkens back to the original Macintosh (all in one), but with a modern flair and elegant design. It costs $10,000, so unlike the original Mac (the computer for the rest of us) no one can possibly afford one, although they look cool.

Almost exactly one year later, with Steve at the helm, Apple announces the iMac. It harkens back to the original Macintosh, but with a modern flar and pleasing design (that incidentally radically changed consumer design in everything from vaccums to clocks). It costs $1300, so like the original Mac, anyone can afford one.

Note the difference--one seems right but makes a mockery of the concept of the original, while the other is EXACTLY what the TAM was intended to be. And, of course, we have the new iMac now which is a step and a half cooler than the TAM, but is actually affordable.

By the way, does anybody remember the clearance sales on the TAM after the first G3s came out? My school was selling them for a bit over $2K, if memory serves, which was pretty tempting just for the cool factor.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
ode to a cube

Wished I would have bought a cube before...
Wished the price wouldn't have been SOOOOO wrong....
Wish they will have the 970....
Wish they will bring a cube back....

Too much wishing...

In reality, a cube would be nice but wouldn't that go against Steve's reasoning for the newer imacs? Remember the "we wanted to give each component the respect they deserve" speach? That is why the hemishpere design so the hard drive and dvd/cd could work at their best - horizontally not vertically? The cube has a vertically mounted cd and HD I believe. So which way is right? I would still love a cube but I think there are more important issues Apple has to tackle before worrying about another cube.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
With Powerlogic and Sonnet pumping out faster and faster cpu's I could see a Cube special edition. Apple could just buy the cpu's from either of those companies, upgrade the agp to 8x and stuff a ATI or Nivida card in there.

I have a Cube, bought it within weeks of the first ones to come out and have never regretted it. It was my first mac and looks sweet with my new 20" lcd *grin*.

As for the fan in the upgrades, reports are thet it is quiet, while some noise it is not anywhere near the noise of a eMac or new Tower.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
The Cube failed because only the truly Mac'd people would buy a cube and a screen seperately for that much money.

Apple is reeling in the PC users with all their new stuff.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
MacWhispers
That Apple has recently submitted a request for quote to this firm for an only slightly modified version of the G4 Cube's clear outer shell.

The modification was mostly with the scale. It's 100th the volume of the original, is portable, and is a key chain.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Wardofsky
The Cube failed because only the truly Mac'd people would buy a cube and a screen seperately for that much money.

Apple is reeling in the PC users with all their new stuff.

Exactly. The hole point of having a headless compact desktop is it should be cheaper. It's not like it's highly upgradeable or anything. That is why I truly wish Apple would bring back the LC series. They were fantastic for those that don't need upgradeability and the price that goes with it and already have a good monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.