Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
What are your color gamut requirements? I have always had a good experience with Dell Monitors. But I also here good things about BenQ.

iJohnnyG

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011
Newcastle
Not sure if this'll help at all however my Mac mini arrived today, as did my LG27UK600. I've gone from a 5K iMac and am pretty pleased with it all.

Not overly concerned about 12 month warranty, I've never had any issues with LG products in the past.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
That's awesome. Two new toys in a single day!

I haven't had any issues with LG monitors either. I'm on a 27" LG right now now (27UD68P) and I've had it for a few years.

Costco made my decision easy. They're selling the 43" LG for $499 (next cheapest was on Amazon for $565). I just purchased it. It will make returning it easier too if it doesn't work out.

43" monitor? Brave. I have the LG27UK650 (same as the 600 just with an adjustable stand), and is 2 generations newer than the LG you have. No issues with it so far. Works great with my 2018 Mac mini, PS4 and Xbox.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Great to hear many rocking LGs without issues.

Yes, good to see that three people here haven't had any problems. I suggest you do some broader research. Also, there's a recent YouTube video in which the person who made it talks about how his rather expensive LG monitor bricked it at 14 months, leaving him with no recourse and uneconomic repair options. There is also a participant in this site who says, based on personal experience with LG, that he won't purchase its monitors. Indeed, he posted to that effect within the last ten days.

LG is a popular brand. Personally, I don't think that most purchasers even check warranty periods before buying. LG's warranty is two years shorter than the industry standard. The exception is the two monitors that it makes for Apple. Presumably, those monitors are made to higher quality standards. Just be aware of this, and maybe do some research. My conclusion, after looking at LG's monitors more closely, was "Thanks, but no thanks".

I do know that one participant in this site, who was aware of the warranty issue, addressed it by purchasing third party consumer insurance. That's an option. Some people find that option attractive, others (myself among them) have no interest in trying to resolve a problem with a third party consumer insurance company.

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I didn't realise that you'd already made the purchase. Sounds like you got a good price. As you suggest, check your credit card coverage, and maybe see what COSTCO offers in the way of third party insurance.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
What you are noticing is the matte coating. It’s nothing to do with the resolution itself. Matte screens make content look grainy and washed out compared to glossy screens like the iMac.

You are screwed, because nobody makes glossy screens anymore besides Apple. Even Dell only makes a few 1080p glossy monitors.

This is the main reason I plan to buy an iMac. I could get a way more powerful PC for the same price, but a glossy screen is worth the extra $ to me.

Reactions: IngerMan

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
What you are noticing is the matte coating. It’s nothing to do with the resolution itself. Matte screens make content look grainy and washed out compared to glossy screens like the iMac.

You are screwed, because nobody makes glossy screens anymore besides Apple. Even Dell only makes a few 1080p glossy monitors.

This is the main reason I plan to buy an iMac. I could get a way more powerful PC for the same price, but a glossy screen is worth the extra $ to me.

Couldn't agree more! I went from a Thunderbolt Display to a BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K) to an HP Z32 (also 32" 4K) and they both looked like crap. My eyes were accustomed to the 'glossy' panel from the TB display. So I sold them and went back to one. They can be had for about $300-400 in good condition on CL. My hope is that Apple finally releases an update to this display later this year.

Reactions: EightyTwenty

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Having recently worked with Asus's PA32UC display, and its HDR mode in particular, you guys going on about matte vs glossy are in for a hell of a surprise. HDR is coming, and it's coming fast.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
That's really interesting and has only crossed my mind in passing. Come to think of it, I've always liked glossy monitors, too. Whenever I read about people complaining about glossy screens or praising matte screens, I didn't get it because I've always preferred glossy screens.
Illyama make a 27inch 5K glossy screen. They are currently the only vendor other than Apple that is selling a 5K screen.
It is approx half the price of the LG option...so I don't have a clear idea of the relative quality of the panel.

Here: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...4ms-440cd-m2-80m1-displayportx2-hdmix3-silver
[doublepost=1553764519][/doublepost]
Having recently worked with Asus's PA32UC display, and its HDR mode in particular, you guys going on about matte vs glossy are in for a hell of a surprise. HDR is coming, and it's coming fast.
Can you expand on this? In what way does glossy vs matte affect HDR?
[doublepost=1553764701][/doublepost]
That's really interesting and has only crossed my mind in passing. Come to think of it, I've always liked glossy monitors, too. Whenever I read about people complaining about glossy screens or praising matte screens, I didn't get it because I've always preferred glossy screens.
I was also a matte proponent. The original wave of glossy MacBook Pro and iMac screens were awful in my opinion due to too much reflection. The glossy screens have improved generation in generation in my view, to the point where I now like the glossy displays on both the MacBook Pro and the 4K and 5K iMac. I currently still use matte screens plugged in to my 2018 mini though, and won't likely replace them until they finally die (currently 8 years old).

Last edited:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
You don't need to run a Mac at native resolution to get the benefits of 4K - it scales everything correctly. That way you can have text and graphics elements that are readable but a video will play at 4K. Windows and Linux are still way behind Mac OS in this respect.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Since you bought at Costco, don't they offer an "extended warranty" (up to 3 years additional after the LG warranty) for a relatively small amount of money?

Might be worth seeing if you can "tack that on".

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Just keep in mind, LG was for years the bottom of the low end TV brands, and always the lowest price.

Their philosophy of making them fast and selling them cheep is not likely to have changed now that they are in the monitor business.

IMO, LG is not a good long term choice.

No "Silk Purse out of a pigs ear" LOL a2

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Illyama make a 27inch 5K glossy screen. They are currently the only vendor other than Apple that is selling a 5K screen.
It is approx half the price of the LG option...so I don't have a clear idea of the relative quality of the panel.

Here: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...4ms-440cd-m2-80m1-displayportx2-hdmix3-silver
[doublepost=1553764519][/doublepost]
Can you expand on this? In what way does glossy vs matte affect HDR?
[doublepost=1553764701][/doublepost]
I was also a matte proponent. The original wave of glossy MacBook Pro and iMac screens were awful in my opinion due to too much reflection. The glossy screens have improved generation in generation in my view, to the point where I now like the glossy displays on both the MacBook Pro and the 4K and 5K iMac. I currently still use matte screens plugged in to my 2018 mini though, and won't likely replace them until they finally die (currently 8 years old).

Will that 5K monitor work on a 2018 Mac mini? I know some do and some don't. There was a Philips one that didn't work. I assume you just use two diplayport cables and it's fine?

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Will that 5K monitor work on a 2018 Mac mini? I know some do and some don't. There was a Philips one that didn't work. I assume you just use two diplayport cables and it's fine?

This would suggest otherwise:

The monitor is excellent, but requires DP1.4, whereas the 2018 Apple iMac Mini only supports DP1.2 when using DP over USB-C. The sole option for 2018 Mac mini is the LG 5K monitor at nearly twice the price. This is Apple who are wrong here. Vendor tie-in? Probably.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iiyama-XB2...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.