Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for this! How hard would it have been to add in a single DP 1.4, given the number 1 monitor connection as of 2018, and for the foreseeable future is DisplayPort....

Disappointed myself too, as a 5k monitor was next on my list for consideration, but not at those crazy prices (of the other monitors)!

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
So at a minimum it would take a $400 eGPU setup with a 580RX that has DP1.4, that still might interest some folks for that monitor and the eGPU can have other benefits as well.

Reactions: Spectrum

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I don't get it...There are 4 thunderbolt ports on the mini. Why can these not send a DP1.4 signal?

Any (future) 5K display, I suppose, might come with a TB3 input. One can hope...

I have to say I am pretty annoyed about this because I assumed the 2018 mini (with 4xTB3 outputs) was about as future proof as it gets at this point.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
I don't get it...There are 4 thunderbolt ports on the mini. Why can these not send a DP1.4 signal?

Any (future) 5K display, I suppose, might come with a TB3 input. One can hope...

I have to say I am pretty annoyed about this because I assumed the 2018 mini (with 4xTB3 outputs) was about as future proof as it gets at this point.

Thunderbolt 3 support Displayport 1.2: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Thunderbolt 3 support Displayport 1.2: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq
This is still way too confusing for an end user. When are these standards going to be sorted out and simplified?

The 2018 mac mini can demonstrably power a 5K TB display using a TB3 cable connection.
Why, then, cannot it not connect to a 5K DP display via a TB3 cable (with a DP plug at one end)?

To an end user I think it is not obvious that this would be incompatible.

EDIT:

Actually, this thread indicates that Titan Ridge TB controllers in 2018 MBPro *do* support DP1.4
But that this *isn't* supported by the 2018 Mac mini due to the UHD630 iGPU...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ort-10bpc-on-4k-60hz-external-monitor.822834/

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
That's an interesting screen. I can't seem to find it readily available in the US -- or at least my quick search on Google didn't bring anything up. I found one on Amazon but it's selling for close to $1200. Definitely an interesting screen if you're in Europe or Japan.

Right, I do that now with my 27". What I want is a lot of extra real estate. Running a 43" at full 4K at 1:1 pixel mapping, I'm hoping to have lot more space and still have visible text.

You won't get 'more space' as the resolution is the same, actually it is less. The iMac is 5K and the 43" is 4K. So you will have a lower resolution image in a larger space. You may have been better off just attaching a second monitor to your iMac....

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Technically, you're right. In practice I cannot not use it in full 5K mode (meaning 1:1 pixel mapping -- not Retina mode), so it doesn't matter. In full 5K mode, text is barely readable because it's so small. You really need a larger screen for this. I'm finding even 43" slightly too small for text at the full resolution.

1:1 resolution only worked with HD monitors, as soon as retina screens became available this idea went out of the window. if you have really good eyesight you might run at 2:1, but otherwise you risk damaging your eyes. If you need more space just get a second monitor.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If price is not an issue get the Ultrafine 5K. You will not regret it.
[doublepost=1554288313][/doublepost]
I received both my Mac Mini and the 43" LG today. I'm using it as I'm typing this connected to the 43" LG in full 4K 1:1 pixel mapping mode. My daughter is watching Netflix on the bottom left corner, I have slack going on top left corner, and 2 Safari windows on the right side.

I'm absolutely loving this. The wow factor has won me over and I'm not missing the iMac's 27" display anymore. I'm sitting about 2.5 feet (76 cm) away from it. Interestingly, I find myself wishing that the text was slightly bigger at the default zoom level. So I'm thinking I wouldn't mind going with a slightly larger screen.

And oh, the Mac Mini is great, too :) No stutter whatsoever with the iGPU and I'm very happy that I sold my 27" iMac. This is worth the experience.
May I suggest that you now mark the post as “Resolved,” or you’ll continue to get people who don’t read the thread before making suggestions and don’t realize you’ve already made your purchase.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
sure. i didnt know that was a thing.
[doublepost=1554295515][/doublepost]

No clue what you're talking about. But Ok.
Go up to your first post and edit it. Then there’s a cog. You can use it to change the thread’s prefix, one of which is “Resolved.”

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is still way too confusing for an end user. When are these standards going to be sorted out and simplified?

The 2018 mac mini can demonstrably power a 5K TB display using a TB3 cable connection.
Why, then, cannot it not connect to a 5K DP display via a TB3 cable (with a DP plug at one end)?

EDIT:

Actually, this thread indicates that Titan Ridge TB controllers in 2018 MBPro *do* support DP1.4

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ort-10bpc-on-4k-60hz-external-monitor.822834/

Interesting ... learning everyday.

This site https://www.displayport.org/faq/#tab-displayport-1-4a-standard

seems very generic in listing ...
Will Thunderbolt, which uses DisplayPort for video, support DisplayPort 1.4a?
We expect that other interconnect technologies that use DisplayPort as a video transport will adopt the DisplayPort 1.4a features.

Will the UHD630 iGPU get some kind of firmware update from Apple that will work with DP1.4?

However the 2018 MacMini can work with the 5K DP display via a TB3 cable
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207448

5120 x 2880 @ 60Hz
You can use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with these Mac models at full 5K resolution:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

EDIT:

Right. The Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controllers in the Mac Mini 2018 can support DisplayPort 1.4, but the Intel graphics only supports DisplayPort 1.2. Dual cable displays (Dell UP2715K, HP z27q) and dual link Thunderbolt 3 displays (LG UltraFine 5K) use two DisplayPort 1.2 signals to achieve 5K 60Hz 10 bpc. DisplayPort 1.4 (from Nvidia or AMD graphics) can only do 8bpc at that resolution because it only has 75% the bandwidth of dual link DisplayPort 1.2 (not considering Display Stream Compression - I don't know if that's supported by the GPUs or by Apple's drivers or by any displays).

The recent MacBook Pros have Titan Ridge and AMD graphics, so they should be able to support DisplayPort 1.4.

Some people use a lower refresh rate (38 Hz) to get 5K working on the Iiyama XB2779QQS-S1 DisplayPort 1.4 5K display from a DisplayPort 1.2 port. Seems to me 46 Hz is still under the DisplayPort 1.2 max for 5K 60Hz 8bpc but I don't know why they can't get higher than 38 Hz.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I received both my Mac Mini and the 43" LG today. I'm using it as I'm typing this connected to the 43" LG in full 4K 1:1 pixel mapping mode. My daughter is watching Netflix on the bottom left corner, I have slack going on top left corner, and 2 Safari windows on the right side.

I'm absolutely loving this. The wow factor has won me over and I'm not missing the iMac's 27" display anymore. I'm sitting about 2.5 feet (76 cm) away from it. Interestingly, I find myself wishing that the text was slightly bigger at the default zoom level. So I'm thinking I wouldn't mind going with a slightly larger screen.

And oh, the Mac Mini is great, too :) No stutter whatsoever with the iGPU and I'm very happy that I sold my 27" iMac. This is worth the experience.
Congratulations on breaking away from iMacs. In a lot of ways they turn out to be the budget option since the screen is so high quality that you need a expensive monitor to match it.

However I like you do not like the limitations of 27 inch monitors. Despite how sharp the resolution is. I find it more comfortable working on a larger external screen.

You also dodged the bullet since when you do finally have Imac issues they are harder to resolve, or upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.