Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
so you have it?

If you need the real estate at full res. This monitor is pretty good. Even works with my Early 2011 15" MBP. After using it all night with, I have no complaints. Sure it's 30Hz, but it's not the disaster most posts are claiming it is. If you need the real estate, like I do, it's worth it.

so, you already HAVE one? Can you give a bit more of a review of colors, brightness, maybe a photo or two with resolution at max?

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity
so, you already HAVE one? Can you give a bit more of a review of colors, brightness, maybe a photo or two with resolution at max?

Yes, I ordered it as soon as it was available online a week ago. It was delivered yesterday. I replaced two 24" monitors I had connected to a Matrox DualHead2Go. It worked, but I'm glad I don't need it now. Less cable clutter.
I haven't messed with any settings yet, I'll take a closer look tonight and post some pics.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yes, I ordered it as soon as it was available online a week ago. It was delivered yesterday. I replaced two 24" monitors I had connected to a Matrox DualHead2Go. It worked, but I'm glad I don't need it now. Less cable clutter.
I haven't messed with any settings yet, I'll take a closer look tonight and post some pics.

haven't been able to find it, and we've been guessing all month in this thread.

WHATS THE Panel they use? its listed as a "P" part for their professional series, and their professional series panels range from IPS to TN.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Tn

WHATS THE Panel they use? its listed as a "P" part for their professional series, and their professional series panels range from IPS to TN.

I think it was confirmed a bit ago that it was NOT an IPS, but rather a TN screen.?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It uses a TN panel. Which is one of the major reasons why I won't buy one. If I'm gonna spend that much, I might as well save a little more and get a good IPS panel.

dang, For the price, it was seriously worth considering.

But I have issues with TN panels and my eyes. I get ridiculous haloing from the light bleed. All TN panels seem to "glow" and I've never found one that doesn't give me headaches after use.

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity

Yes, it's a TN panel. IPS is preferable. Colors are better as well as the viewing angles. I'm not a photographer or need color accuracy. I just need crisp text and the extra space. Unless it's side by side with an IPS panel nobody would probably notice or care enough to make it a deal breaker.
To me the viewing angles is what is most noticeable compared to an IPS panel, but even then, not when I'm sitting in front of it, only if I walk away from or toward my desk.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
If you need the real estate at full res. This monitor is pretty good. Even works with my Early 2011 15" MBP. After using it all night with, I have no complaints. Sure it's 30Hz, but it's not the disaster most posts are claiming it is. If you need the real estate, like I do, it's worth it.

How do you have it connected to your early 2011 MBP? Surely the displayport or an HDMI adapter can't pump out the full 3840. If it can somehow, I'm buying one now.

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity
How do you have it connected to your early 2011 MBP? Surely the displayport or an HDMI adapter can't pump out the full 3840. If it can somehow, I'm buying one now.

It's connect via thunderbolt/mDP. Actually it's daisy chained off a Pegasus R4. I expected it not to work at all from all the skeptical posts on Mavericks support for 4K. I'm just glad it does so I didn't have to get a new MBP just to use it.
I can now cue up for the Mac Pro and hold off on a new MBP until the next refresh. In the meantime I hope I don't start having any GPU issues like those that are being reported.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
A measley 28" display with 4K resolution? What a waste. Does the phrase " as useless as tits on a bull" apply here?

There is ZERO reason to even bother with 4K on a set under 60". Amazing.

For just $700 bucks too.... what a great value.... :rolleyes:

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity
A measley 28" display with 4K resolution? What a waste. Does the phrase " as useless as tits on a bull" apply here?

There is ZERO reason to even bother with 4K on a set under 60". Amazing.

For just $700 bucks too.... what a great value.... :rolleyes:

For a 4K desktop monitor, 30" to 32" is about the perfect size, but too costly. 28" is still fine, but less than that I can't see a use for it.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
It's connect via thunderbolt/mDP. Actually it's daisy chained off a Pegasus R4. I expected it not to work at all from all the skeptical posts on Mavericks support for 4K. I'm just glad it does so I didn't have to get a new MBP just to use it.
I can now cue up for the Mac Pro and hold off on a new MBP until the next refresh. In the meantime I hope I don't start having any GPU issues like those that are being reported.

That's amazing! From everything I've read, maximum resolution supported under displayport spec on that computer is 2560. It definitely isn't running over thunderbolt, as this is Dell we're talking about. Not saying i don't believe you, but can I see a full screenshot on the display preference panel with the 3840 selected?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I went to go look for one, and found out...I'm dumb. Apparently Christie 8k projectors are a brand name, and not actually 8k projectors like I thought. They're standard 1920x1080.

We'll chalk this up as one of my rare duh moments, and never speak of it again. :p

No worries; I saw that too and was confused by the naming convention as well. I do that kind of stuff myself. :)

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity

foozipper

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Some japanese check same thing, and full screenshot here.
  • Mac mini Late 2012
  • OS X 10.8.5
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (512MB) GPU
  • mini DisplayPort Connect
  • Dell UP2414Q
  • 3840 x 2150@30Hz
http://imgur.com/Sfx10VC

Maybe 4K display normally use Mac equipped with DP1.2 Mac until SST (=4K@30Hz).

RonDonVolante13

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
I hope I'm not in the necro-zone (as a newb) but I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 39" 4k Seiki. I just took a job as a developer and am studying a lot at home to learn some different languages, and I could really use the real estate. I don't game or do anything besides youtube, music, and code besides browsing on my laptop and don't care about 30hz. I just need the resolution.

I have a 2012 non-retina MBP 13". Will it blend at 30hz? I'm currently using the DualHead2Go and it'll do the width, not sure about width and height.

If OSX locks it, is there a mod OR can I install Linux? I have the OWS data doubler so it wouldn't be an issue to put it on another drive.

The reason I ask is that the above mac mini inspired me. My specs seem similar (Intel 4000/512mb)

----------

I'd like to add that I found the following on AVSforums:

"The Intel HD 4000 graphics of the current Mac Mini supports 4K resolutions, but not over HDMI. You will have to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that supports HDMI 1.4a and 4K resolution. The newer Intel HD 4600 and 5200 graphics in the 4th generation core processors (coming in the next Mac mini) do support 4K resolution over a single HDMI 1.4 cable. Also, you will need OS X 10.9 Mavericks as that is the first version that natively supports 4K resolutions. Mountain Lion and earlier have a software limitation that prevent Macs from outputting 4K over a single HDMI/DisplayPort even if their hardware is capable of it."

So...what's the best adapter? :v

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Native 4K on a 28" is great for some applications. However 4K on my 65" display/Excel = instant productivity increase.

RonDonVolante13

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Native 4K on a 28" is great for some applications. However 4K on my 65" display/Excel = instant productivity increase.

Yeah, I'm mostly interested in it because I can read more than 20 lines of code at once and retain the same width as dual monitors.

....and for excel/SQL results yes. Something satisfying about a big ass spreadsheet.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah, I'm mostly interested in it because I can read more than 20 lines of code at once and retain the same width as dual monitors.

....and for excel/SQL results yes. Something satisfying about a big ass spreadsheet.

:cool: (54 col x 130 row)

pMOwRo9.jpg

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
this is one of those things the garbage man looks at twice to see if he needs it before throwing it in the compactor...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.