Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jscribbles

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
So if I have a mid-2012 Retina MBP, will I be able to use this to full or satisfactory use?

I may add a new mac-mini to this someday, but for now, I bring home my work laptop and like hooking up to an external. Curious if this would be a suitable upgrade.

Or is there a lower ties monitor that would be better?

Triumphguy675

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
I would stay far away from dell and gateway

After Owning a 24" Gateway Monitor that died right after it was a year old Gateway told me tough luck send it in if you want it fixed but it will cost you. :eek:

I just got done returning a Dell U3011 a 30" Ultrasharp Monitor because it wouldn't stay awake it kept going to sleep on my Macbook Pro using Thunderbolt to HDMI.

I refused to pay over a 1000K for a monitor that I use for my photography business that won't work correctly.

I'm sorry but I won't ever give my money to either of these companies with such bad results.

Luckily I bought my Dell from Amazon and they returned it even after the return period.

Last edited:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Honestly, 4k is the first step towards the threshold of diminishing returns. I see 8k being targeted more towards the print, CAD, and industrial design markets, who live and die by high quality displays. The consumer to mid level production markets though, they'll be thriving off of 4k for years to come.

I agree with the diminishing returns. Even with bigger screens, you're probably going to watch it from farther back anyways.

I've heard that with 8K, they might increase the number of audio channels as well. Audio started back in the day with mono, then came stereo and then 5.1. I think I heard 8K might bring 22.2 surround sound. Might be interesting. Might be overkill for many people, but a lot of other people might like it.

Renzatic

Suspended
I agree with the diminishing returns. Even with bigger screens, you're probably going to watch it from farther back anyways.

I've heard that with 8K, they might increase the number of audio channels as well. Audio started back in the day with mono, then came stereo and then 5.1. I think I heard 8K might bring 22.2 surround sound. Might be interesting. Might be overkill for many people, but a lot of other people might like it.

Wow. 22 speakers and two subs. Pair all those with a wall filling 8k projector or 140"+ screen, and you'd have a home theater setup that'd humble actual theaters in everything but scale.

It wouldn't be something I'd recommend to people who just want a nice living room experience. It's already hard enough positioning the speakers and hiding the wires for a 5.1 setup. Imagine having to do that with 24 separate parts. It'd be hell. But for someone wanting to build a dedicated theater room in their house, and they have the money to go all out with it, I wouldn't do a thing to stop them. I bet it'd be an incredible thing to behold.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Yeah, but the 28-inch will probably have a TN panel which is crap. That's why it's so cheap. :(

it does, but it's a high-quality TN panel. 160° viewing angles and if you watch the video I posted earlier the tek-syndicate guy is highly impressed by it compared to the Seiki display.

I do not recall a TN based Ultrasharp monitors. I remember some VA based ones over a decade ago. Sadly that is where my experience ends.

This isn't under the Ultrasharp brand.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I do not recall a TN based Ultrasharp monitors. I remember some VA based ones over a decade ago. Sadly that is where my experience ends.
You're right, the Ultrasharp monitors have good panels like IPS, S-PVA (which is actually better than IPS, but not as cheap).

But the new 28-inch screen is not an UltraSharp monitor (U2411, U2311,etc), it's Ultra HD (P2815Q). I've already seen some specs and it has TN-like viewing angles (160).:eek:

----------

it does, but it's a high-quality TN panel. 160° viewing angles and if you watch the video I posted earlier the tek-syndicate guy is highly impressed by it compared to the Seiki display.
A good TN panel it's still worse than a bad IPS panel.
It's not just about the angles. :(

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
A good TN panel it's still worse than a bad IPS panel.
It's not just about the angles. :(

I have never found a TN panel that doesn't have some form of "glow" coming through the panel's pixels. Even the best, fastest TN panels have always caused me eye discomfort.

No matter what, they always look like they just let light bleed through. IPS panels generally are just better. from Colour reproduction, brightness, light bleedthrough, they are just better pannels.

As for this monitor. judging from the viewing angles, you're probably right o the TN panel, however, the other "P" panels they have right now are IPS. But the "P" or professional panels have changed a bit over time. Seen them go from IPS to TN and back and forth depending on price and model.

the UltraSharps on the other hand are ALWAYS at least IPS.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You're right, the Ultrasharp monitors have good panels like IPS, S-PVA (which is actually better than IPS, but not as cheap).

But the new 28-inch screen is not an UltraSharp monitor (U2411, U2311,etc), it's Ultra HD (P2815Q). I've already seen some specs and it has TN-like viewing angles (160).:eek:
You are right this monitor does appear to be from the 'P' Professional series and those do include TN panels along with the viewing angles.

m1chel

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I own an early 2013 MacbookPro. As I read the specs - there's no way i can run this in at 60hz? That would suck ...

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
The main reason I'm looking away from Apple for a new external display (I have a recently-released MacBook Pro/Retina but want a full display for at-desk work) is because it seems that Apple has ceased making them.

Now, that's a generalization — after all, they stopped updating the Mac Pro back in 2008 (essentially) and they came out with a pretty nifty new one just recently. But they also continued to make other Macs, so they weren't out of the Mac making business. They just ignored one of their segments.

Currently, Apple makes the fat lions' share of its income from iDevices, so it should be no surprise that that is where their focus & attention lay. And, in stockholder terms, and thus it should. I digress on this point; Apple has enough money to hire a metric ****-ton of engineers & designers & etc. to stop saying they have to borrow from other divisions/departments to make things happen. Again; I digress.

Back to the display: Apple only makes one. The Thunderbolt Display. Calling it their flagship would be off, because there's nothing else to hold it up to. It's not like saying the Mac Pro is Apple's flagship Mac (the Mac Pro is Apple's Starship ENTERPRISE) because it reigns above their other Mac offerings; the Thunderbolt Display — introduced in 2011 — is it. All there is.

Last updated in 2011, it hasn't had an update in 850+ days. The tech is 2010 technology (in terms of the USB ports; much older than that) and hasn't had so much as a refresh since it took its first bow in September 2011. Not a silent upgrade to USB3. Not an addition of a second Thunderbolt Port. Not an upgrade of the panel itself (though it's admittedly a damn good panel IMO).

I'm a Mac person. I like the TB Display; partly because it acts as a pretty nice dock (or did, before I went to USB3 for all my external needs) and has a built-in charger for my MacBook Pro (I really like that; it's great lagniappe).

My Thunderbolt Display, ironically, was damaged by a nearby lightning strike in the summer. It still works but there's some odd ghosting on the display itself (hard to describe; think of what a partially wet piece of cardboard looks like). It's still usable.

I had the option to buy a new one in the month after it happened, but just couldn't do it. Why? I had the money, or at least a P.O. from my company, but just could not bring myself to pay full price for tech that was that old. And I kept thinking; well, surely there'll be a new display release before the Mac Pro goes on sale. They cannot possibly put their new shiny Mac Pro up for sale without having a killer display to sell along with it. But they did.

So I keep thinking, maybe they're not going to build them anymore, but I know they will. The latest stories about Dell's new 28-inch 4K Display going on sale in a few days makes me think that a new Apple Thunderbolt Display release is imminent (the panel in the current TB was the same as the, what, U2713?).

So I'll wait a little longer, shop the displays here a bit, and keep that purchase order handy. And try to ignore the 30" MonoPrice display I keep finding myself checking out.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Wow. 22 speakers and two subs. Pair all those with a wall filling 8k projector or 140"+ screen, and you'd have a home theater setup that'd humble actual theaters in everything but scale.

Are there 8K projectors for consumers (albeit probably exorbitantly rich ones)? Where can I get one, just out of curiosity? I am an IT guy, so maybe I can suggest one for work. ;)

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I also find it odd that for two years now, the Cinema Display is actually thicker than the iMacs! Not that that matters per se, but it does underscore in a very real physical way how Apple hasn't updated them in awhile.

This latest news about 4k monitors being cheaper than current Apple displays only adds more fuel to the fire.

I'm sure in typical Apple fashion, they are just waiting for the right moment...but still, it is becoming more obvious.

As someone pointed out tho, the current MacBook Airs or minis can run a 4k display, and neither can the current iMacs as a 2nd monitor, since they don't have thunderbolt 2 if I am correct. So I guess it makes sense.

I'm sure a lot of this will be addressed when Apple releases their long rumored Apple Televisions later this year. Maybe that's why they are waiting to make their iMacs retina. But it does seem odd that Apple didn't announce a 4K Cinema Display to go with their newly redesigned mac pros.

Guess we will all just have to wait and see.

I hope they update their iMacs in the spring. But I think it'll be in June/July/August at the earliest probably. And they also need to update the air books & minis ahead of a 4k Cinema Display as well.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
release

Did this dell 4K monitor ever show up? I thought it was announced for release on the 23rd, but nothing is on their website yet. Maybe they are trying to figure out how to handle the PR nightmare they have, since it was supposed to be 699 EUROS..!

just kidding.

Renzatic

Suspended
Got a link? I couldn't find it. Thanks.

I went to go look for one, and found out...I'm dumb. Apparently Christie 8k projectors are a brand name, and not actually 8k projectors like I thought. They're standard 1920x1080.

We'll chalk this up as one of my rare duh moments, and never speak of it again. :p

Though they and a number of others do make 4k projectors. They're still rather pricey, with the entry level consumer models costing around $9000-$10,000.

As tempting as the price point is, I have ZERO interest in owning anything from Dell. I just have no faith in thier overall product quality. I have just seen WAY too many Dell hardware problems in my lifetime to buy from Dell. At the very least, I would have to buy 4-5 year extended warranties, which would drive the price up at least 200-300. No thanks!

The main reason I'm looking away from Apple for a new external display (I have a recently-released MacBook Pro/Retina but want a full display for at-desk work) is because it seems that Apple has ceased making them.

Now, that's a generalization — after all, they stopped updating the Mac Pro back in 2008 (essentially) and they came out with a pretty nifty new one just recently. But they also continued to make other Macs, so they weren't out of the Mac making business. They just ignored one of their segments.

Currently, Apple makes the fat lions' share of its income from iDevices, so it should be no surprise that that is where their focus & attention lay. And, in stockholder terms, and thus it should. I digress on this point; Apple has enough money to hire a metric ****-ton of engineers & designers & etc. to stop saying they have to borrow from other divisions/departments to make things happen. Again; I digress.

Back to the display: Apple only makes one. The Thunderbolt Display. Calling it their flagship would be off, because there's nothing else to hold it up to. It's not like saying the Mac Pro is Apple's flagship Mac (the Mac Pro is Apple's Starship ENTERPRISE) because it reigns above their other Mac offerings; the Thunderbolt Display — introduced in 2011 — is it. All there is.

Last updated in 2011, it hasn't had an update in 850+ days. The tech is 2010 technology (in terms of the USB ports; much older than that) and hasn't had so much as a refresh since it took its first bow in September 2011. Not a silent upgrade to USB3. Not an addition of a second Thunderbolt Port. Not an upgrade of the panel itself (though it's admittedly a damn good panel IMO).

I'm a Mac person. I like the TB Display; partly because it acts as a pretty nice dock (or did, before I went to USB3 for all my external needs) and has a built-in charger for my MacBook Pro (I really like that; it's great lagniappe).

My Thunderbolt Display, ironically, was damaged by a nearby lightning strike in the summer. It still works but there's some odd ghosting on the display itself (hard to describe; think of what a partially wet piece of cardboard looks like). It's still usable.

I had the option to buy a new one in the month after it happened, but just couldn't do it. Why? I had the money, or at least a P.O. from my company, but just could not bring myself to pay full price for tech that was that old. And I kept thinking; well, surely there'll be a new display release before the Mac Pro goes on sale. They cannot possibly put their new shiny Mac Pro up for sale without having a killer display to sell along with it. But they did.

So I keep thinking, maybe they're not going to build them anymore, but I know they will. The latest stories about Dell's new 28-inch 4K Display going on sale in a few days makes me think that a new Apple Thunderbolt Display release is imminent (the panel in the current TB was the same as the, what, U2713?).

So I'll wait a little longer, shop the displays here a bit, and keep that purchase order handy. And try to ignore the 30" MonoPrice display I keep finding myself checking out.

Just because the tech is a few years old doesn't mean its outdated. Hell, I own a 60" Pioneer Pro-141FD Kuro. Its 6 years old and I still have yet to see its equal. The fact that the Thunderbolt is the only Apple Display isnt important. Whats important is where it ranks quality wise with the rest of the monitors out there and wether or not your happy with that quality. Even tho its a couple years old, its still one of the best displays on the market.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
now out

these are now available. About 630$ shipped. I'm going to take a leap and give it a try..

2014 CES Best in Show winner. Dell Home has the recently released 4K Dell P2815Q 28" LED Monitor, for $630.00 Free Shipping with Coupon Code: "QG3G$33HH3QP0" (Exp 2/7). Tax in many. Similar 4k monitors from competitors run around $3k+.

This is at dell home

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity
Dell 28" 4K

If you need the real estate at full res. This monitor is pretty good. Even works with my Early 2011 15" MBP. After using it all night with, I have no complaints. Sure it's 30Hz, but it's not the disaster most posts are claiming it is. If you need the real estate, like I do, it's worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.