Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Is there a way to drive my ATD at 30hz to see what I can expect from one of these "4K" displays. If it's looks horrible that will save me some money until the technology improves.

elchorizo

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Beaverton, OR
This.

For me also (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) it is about preserving (or increasing) usable screen real estate (seeing more on the screen without scrolling). My ACD 30" shows 2560 x 1600 and these 4K monitors are 3800 x 2160. So at 2x (retina) I lose 660 "pixels" worth of width and 520 "pixels" worth of height. That's a big step backward.

And if I run it as 1x (native) I think it would be too small to read. So it would need to be 5120 x 3200 to maintain everything I already have and add retina. What is that - "5K"?

I do have a 1680 x 1050 version of the 15" MBP however and the smaller pixel size on that is acceptable, so I could take some reduction on pixel size compared to the 30" and still be happy. Maybe a 36" monitor running 4K would be usable at 1x.

I know that the Retina 15" MBP can scale at two intermediate resolutions (1680x1050 and 1920x1200), so if that same ability gets carried over to external displays there may be promise for preserving screen real estate until even higher resolutions of 5K+ become available to allow true retina for 30"

I also want to keep the 16:10 aspect ratio. I do work on this thing - it is not my home theatre screen. And if I do watch a movie, some letterboxing is fine.

This is an awesome post which really summarizes my concerns with these new 4k monitors perfectly. I agree 100% with all your points (and the poster you quoted). I want as much real estate as possible so I want to run native, but at 28" that sounds like it might be too small. Hard to say without testing though. I'm not as interested in pixel doubling unless I can still have tons of real estate. I run both my retina macbooks at their biggest scaled resolution, not the pixel doubled default resolutions because of this.

Also, YES to 16x10. God I hate 16x9 for a work machine. However, at a certain point, I don't mind 16x9 so much once there is enough real estate. For instance, I don't quite hate it so much on my 27" 1440p display at home.

For me, I think the sweet spot is an IPS 4k display somewhere 32" and 40" with reasonable color representation for under $1000. When that happens, I'm soooo there! Probably will be at least another year though.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
My ACD 30" shows 2560 x 1600 and these 4K monitors are 3800 x 2160. So at 2x (retina) I lose 660 "pixels" worth of width and 520 "pixels" worth of height. That's a big step backward.

Yes, ACD 30" here too, and exactly the same reasoning. 2560 x 1600 is great, but it starts to feel cramped when working on a 1080p project in After Effects. I'd love to go to 3840 x 2160 on a bigger screen with the same DPI as my ACD 30".

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
This is an awesome post which really summarizes my concerns with these new 4k monitors perfectly. I agree 100% with all your points (and the poster you quoted). I want as much real estate as possible so I want to run native, but at 28" that sounds like it might be too small. Hard to say without testing though. I'm not as interested in pixel doubling unless I can still have tons of real estate. I run both my retina macbooks at their biggest scaled resolution, not the pixel doubled default resolutions because of this.

Also, YES to 16x10. God I hate 16x9 for a work machine. However, at a certain point, I don't mind 16x9 so much once there is enough real estate. For instance, I don't quite hate it so much on my 27" 1440p display at home.

For me, I think the sweet spot is an IPS 4k display somewhere 32" and 40" with reasonable color representation for under $1000. When that happens, I'm soooo there! Probably will be at least another year though.

100% agree as well!!

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008

Exactly. I'm 16:10 through and through but give me a 34" 16:9 4K and I'm not going to be complaining about vertical real estate. In part because I'll be drooling that the screen size I've wanted since the mid-90's is finally here!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If Dell has set the price of $699 for 28'' 4K then the competition should be out there soon with similar or better

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
Difference between 30 and 60 Hz?

Hello,

can anyone explain to me what the difference between 30 and 60 Hz - what I read a couple of times here - means? I've understood that Hz is the rate at what the monitor refreshes the image shown. And I understood that 30 Hz is enough for normal use (surfing, writing, etc.) but not for gaming. How is it about watching videos?

Thank you.

hpe

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2013
Switzerland
Hello,

can anyone explain to me what the difference between 30 and 60 Hz - what I read a couple of times here - means? I've understood that Hz is the rate at what the monitor refreshes the image shown. And I understood that 30 Hz is enough for normal use (surfing, writing, etc.) but not for gaming. How is it about watching videos?

Thank you.

Hi, for video you actually wont 24 pics/s and 30 is a bad multiplier. You will get jitter as every few pictures, one will have to be shown double. 60 is better but what you really want is 120 (exactly 5 of each frame) or a screen that can do some other multiple of 24 such as 48, 72 or 96. 60 gives 2-3-2-3-2-3.. so it is not so noticeable but the even multipliers are better. Since some video is 30 frames/s (29.97, please explain... someone?) and others in 24 frames/s 120 is ideal as it can do 5-5-5-5 for 24fps material and 4-4-4-4 for 30fps material. 25 is close enough to 24 to get acceptable quality anyhow. 600 as you see some plasmas touting can get perfect ratios for 24, 25 and 30 fps material...

Examples of various formats (common not rule) in use:
24 fps cinema movies
30 fps american TV
25 fps european TV

I am not 100% certain but I think the 25 and 30 fps had something to do with early electronics (TV childhood) using the AC frequency from their electrical grid to determine the update frequency.

Gaming could be fine with 30 Hz but since modern games pushes the GPUs so far, the frame rate can go down and when it does and gets off sync from the screen you can get jitter and perceived lag. Most turn of vertical sync to increase performance. Lets say one pixel is drawn exactly when the graphics is updated. GPU is sweating so the frame rate of the game goes down to 29 frames /s meaning it is the old frame that gets drawn again. effectively giving you 15 frames per second. Not appreciated in intense games...

TechnoMax

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Resolution Yes, but Quality?

As it seems, the new Dell comes cheap for "good" reasons: The panel is a lower grade TN typ and not one of the better IPS sort, at least I read this elsewhere. Expecially viewing angles would not be perfect, especially as this one is a really big one.

FiveEcco

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
I am getting a bit confused with all these 4k stuff. Maybe you can help me with some misunderstandings.

What i need are two 27" (or 28") displays with a resolution of 2560 x 1440.
My opinion is that with 4k i get the same resolution but with sharper text etc. (like on a iphone 5 for example)

Is this possible with this displays?

Sorry for my stupid questions. :)

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I am getting a bit confused with all these 4k stuff. Maybe you can help me with some misunderstandings.

What i need are two 27" (or 28") displays with a resolution of 2560 x 1440.
My opinion is that with 4k i get the same resolution but with sharper text etc. (like on a iphone 5 for example)

Is this possible with this displays?

Sorry for my stupid questions. :)

It has been answers multiple times now!
What buoy want is exactly what most of us want but nits not so easy since for that we would need a 5k screen which then can be divided by factor 2 down scaled and the. You'd have the 1440 resolution in retina mode.

Since that's not gonna happen, apple needs to come up with some mode in osx that allows the ui elements of all the software to just scale up, while using the native resolution of 4k. Otherwise you'll end up having tiny text.

OR they need to bring those scaling modes of the rmbp to osx. It's a mess right now. Don't buy one of those monitors!

We need 60hz and osx support.

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
As I have also the Retina MacBook Pro from 2012 (with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M), I searched the web for it:

So, in short: yes - and no.

Soooo i need to install **** Windows to get 4K on my rMBP? That is NOT awesome Apple.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Apple waiting on updating

Don't expect Apple to update their displays until all of their computers are able to drive 4k. Imagine going in and buying the newest Apple display and not being able to connect it to the newest Macbook Air; or imagine having a non-4k performance off their 4k display. Much better to say their entire lineup can drive it. Having two lines of displays would not fit into their ethos.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
A lot of people are wondering whether their current Mac will support this monitor or not.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt 1/mDP: Yes, but only at 30 Hz, ...

I logged in just to give your comment a +1!

Thanks for the "state of the art" overview!

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
They're not. They're only 3.84K.

To elaborate on that, when marketing people babble about "4K TV", then what they actually mean is indeed the 3840 x 2160 resolution, which happens to be exactly 4 times the HDTV (1920 x 1080) resolution. Hence it is also (more precisely) called 4K UHD (= "Ultra HD").

Given that, there is indeed also a "real 4K" resolution in use, notably in cinemas, which has a resolution of 4096 x 2160 (sic! 4096 ~= 4K).

But when it comes to "4K" TVs or computer monitors then (mostly) the "almost 4K" resolution of 3840 x 2160 is actually meant (= UHD).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_definition_television

johnhf

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
This.

For me also (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) it is about preserving (or increasing) usable screen real estate (seeing more on the screen without scrolling). My ACD 30" shows 2560 x 1600 and these 4K monitors are 3800 x 2160. So at 2x (retina) I lose 660 "pixels" worth of width and 520 "pixels" worth of height. That's a big step backward.

And if I run it as 1x (native) I think it would be too small to read. So it would need to be 5120 x 3200 to maintain everything I already have and add retina. What is that - "5K"?

I do have a 1680 x 1050 version of the 15" MBP however and the smaller pixel size on that is acceptable, so I could take some reduction on pixel size compared to the 30" and still be happy. Maybe a 36" monitor running 4K would be usable at 1x.

I know that the Retina 15" MBP can scale at two intermediate resolutions (1680x1050 and 1920x1200), so if that same ability gets carried over to external displays there may be promise for preserving screen real estate until even higher resolutions of 5K+ become available to allow true retina for 30"

I also want to keep the 16:10 aspect ratio. I do work on this thing - it is not my home theatre screen. And if I do watch a movie, some letterboxing is fine.

I think you're on the right track of thought. A 4K monitor at 1x (no retina doubling) is probably best around 40" so that screen objects appear reasonably sized. A 4K retina monitor would need to be near 21". A 27" or 28" retina monitor needs to go over 5K.

These are probably the reasons why Apple hasn't yet come out with its own 4K+ monitors yet. These 28" and 32" 4K monitors from Dell, Sharp etc. are just interim solutions for Apple.

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Webcam

I'm going to be entering the world of super HD displays soon, but am I alone in wanting my pro-workstation display to still carry such things as a webcam, and maybe even, y'know - speakers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.