Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Oh wow, thank you Dell. As usual you make an excellent display with reasonable price. Might pick one for my next desktop.

Sharp can just suck their $3299 monitor.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
iMac can't drive any of them since you need Thunderbolt 2 to drive those.

Or it will but not at 4k. Since the GPUs etc aren't 4k in the iMac.

I rather hope the inputs and refresh rates will be there to make this a worthy monitor for something like the Apple TV box. I don't need a huge TV right now but I do need a new one and if I could get one that could work as a second monitor as well that would be the best of both worlds for me. I was hoping Apple would do such a thing and still am, although it might be several more months and I need something now. This price would be in my range so I would be willing if it can handle the load.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
It only mentions 4K via HDMI at 30Hz, which is too low. I'm hoping the 4K via Thunderbolt is possible. Can anyone confirm that?
There are threads in the notebooks forum on this. At least the late 2013 15" MBP (not sure about the 13") will drive 4K via TB2 **under Win 8.1 in Boot Camp**.

There currently is no driver in OSX for the MBP to output 4K over TB2 when in OSX.

4K under OSX only goes via HDMI at 30Hz max.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well, the price is nice. If this is the "worst case" display I end up getting for my Pro cylinder, I can live with that!

First I'll want to see whether Apple enables 2x on this size display: its pixels are larger than retina (yet smaller than "normal") so that's not obvious to me. And I'd prefer to avoid hacks.

24" would be a no-brainer at 3840: that's retina! But I guess I could always sit farther away...

I also would need the soundbar, making a slightly-ugly display significantly-ugly (and making portrait rotation less interesting to me).

And it lacks the webcam and the full range of ports found on Apple's TB display. And it would match nothing else in my office.

So I'd be willing to pay more for a next-gen TB display of some kind, but--if the Dell's reviews don't disappoint--this is a contender!

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Now that 4k monitors are becoming more affordable, I assume they'll soon be obsolete. Samsung just announced an 8k TV, so that will become the new "pro" standard (until a 32k TV is announced in a year or so :rolleyes:).

My current 1080p monitor looks incredibly clear to me. It seems like manufacturers are pushing these higher resolutions just to sell more products at higher prices. At some point, is the human eye going to be able to see that much of a difference in the image quality? I'd prefer that manufacturers work on better color accuracy and quicker response time.

1080p will be the new SD
4K will be the new 720p
8K will of of course be the new 1080p.

And on a TV I wont buy any of it as my 50" LG Plasma at 720p looks perfect to me. Anything larger in a home just seems obnoxious to me.. I know, I suck at being a man.

On a computer monitor however, added screen real estate is always a great thing, especially if its gets rid of some of those pixels you see when sitting up close. I just hope this doesn't become the next Megapixel war... unless it comes with faster internet technology to keep up :)

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I don't know what you're talking about. Dell makes some pretty great monitors.

I agree, they do..and I would still like to buy an Apple product to go with my Apple gear.

But where the hell is Apple in this area? They make a market for a product and there's no word as to whether they are even going to provide product for it.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Come on, Apple!

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I agree, they do..and I would still like to buy an Apple product to go with my Apple gear.

But where the hell is Apple in this area? They make a market for a product and there's no word as to whether they are even going to provide product for it.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Come on, Apple!

I just hope that if Apple comes out with a reasonable new display, even if it's not 4k yet, they give at least 1 additional input method. Even if it's normal display port or HDMI.

being stuck being able to use the display with ONLY my Macbook air is a non starter for me completely. I have a desktop and a server that gets plugged in to my displays as well. Neither of them are Thunderbolt driven

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
No tech spech found. They're hiding something. I presume it will be 6-bit per channel and the RGB primaries suck.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Sure.. :roll eyes:

Apple and Dell use the same panel suppliers, so I think it is safe to say that the quality of the picture from the panel will be nice.

Not sure this is entirely fair - I own (and am currently using as a second display) a Dell UltraSharp U2412M and agree with the point that being Dell doesn't automatically make it crap and that Dell make some decent monitors, all valid.

However, Dell also make some really crummy monitors, so much so that there are 24" (like mine) Dell UltraSharp (like mine) monitors which are god awful. Dell almost have to concede this themselves when you consider the range of monitors they offer and the range of prices these span. Apple on the other hand have never in recent times brought out a sub-par monitor, ignoring the issue many people take with the glossy screen. The colour gamut, delta and contrast ratio are always class leading: to beat them you have to put down some serious money on professional, colour calibrated monitors.

So whilst you raise a point in saying this person is probably a moron for assuming the Dell monitor is crap, the implication that the Apple equivalent will not possibly beat it is way off, since we know for damn certain that the Apple monitor will be excellent. Even the same panel powered by different internals makes a difference and the Apple badge will certainly guarantee you OS X support.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Agreed! The Ultrasharps have been the go to standard for almost every industry I've worked in or had to do business with. They've been put on every wall, desk, kiosk, mobile rig, DIT rig, suite, station, etc. that I've seen.

Now, the E Series. . . . . . that's another story.

Yep, the Apple fanboy doesn't know what graphics studios are using.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I just hope that if Apple comes out with a reasonable new display, even if it's not 4k yet, they give at least 1 additional input method. Even if it's normal display port or HDMI.

being stuck being able to use the display with ONLY my Macbook air is a non starter for me completely. I have a desktop and a server that gets plugged in to my displays as well. Neither of them are Thunderbolt driven

I would think they would provide at least HDMI. They tout the availability of that port on the new Mac Pro for driving displays. Even though there are multiple Thunderbolt ports.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So, does anyone know if a 2012 1st gen 15" rMBP can drive a 4k display? I think the answer is no, but haven't gotten a clear answer.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Apple on the other hand have never in recent times brought out a sub-par monitor, ignoring the issue many people take with the glossy screen. The colour gamut, delta and contrast ratio are always class leading: to beat them you have to put down some serious money on professional, colour calibrated monitors.

Except for the issues with proprietary connectors that get abandoned in 2 years for a new proprietary connector, power bricks that fail that aren't supported anymore, leaving the monitor useless....

But to be fair, most of the problems Apple has in monitors are the ones in the iMacs.. :rolleyes:

Apple is my last choice now for buying stand-alone monitors.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Now Apple needs to re-release a 30" ACD with 4K resolution. $999 is the magic price point.

Ooh yes please. That would be perfect. I can't find a replacement for my current ACD 30 (working fine at the moment, just don't like not having a plan B).

As I'll be looking at the MacPro2013 when they have got over the initial shortage (and I've had chance to see a few, real world, opinions), an ACD30 4k would be a welcome addition to the Apple Store!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Many had hoped that Apple would release its own 4K/Ultra HD display alongside the Mac Pro, but the company did not do so
Probably better to say, "but the company hasn't done so, yet."

Ezlivin

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Apple needs to reward long-time users

Now Apple needs to re-release a 30" ACD with 4K resolution. $999 is the magic price point.

With a 50% discount if you've been an Apple Mac owner for 20 years or more. :p

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

You can't count on it. Apple really only cares how well their monitors work with Macs. If you want something that will interoperate, you'll likely have to look elsewhere.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Apple needs to hurry up and release an updated Haswell Mac Mini with thunderbolt 2 that can drive 4k displays. :confused:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Just hope the flood of new monitors offerings will push Apple to release new monitors very soon due the competition.
Matte option please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.