Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
What in the bloody blue hell is this crap?
1694781756671.png

galax83061

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Yes, I got the same thing with AT&T. I think it's ridiculous to have to pay them for upgrading your phone when you did not even buy from them. I feel like it's like the Mob and everyone has to get their cut.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I got it too, I am going to try to talk to Verizon when I get the phone to get it removed because I also think it is absurd

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I got the charge removed last year from Verizon.
My argument is you removed the convenience of moving the SIM card from 1 phone to the next and then try to charge me $35 for the less convenience?
I am going to say the same thing this year, I don't think I noticed last year for whatever reason, but I 100% agree just an easy charge that most people won't notice so just absolute free income for them

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I am going to say the same thing this year, I don't think I noticed last year for whatever reason, but I 100% agree just an easy charge that most people won't notice so just absolute free income for them

They actually tried to battle me on it last year saying they’ve always charged that. I went through my bills for September and October the previous 3 years so she could show me…..funny thing is it wasn’t there

Reactions: cthompson94

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Whenever I bought the unlocked versions and paid in full, I didn’t get hit with the Verizon activation fee and I just did the activation through my online account page.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Whenever I bought the unlocked versions and paid in full, I didn’t get hit with the Verizon activation fee and I just did the activation through my online account page.
Oh crap. Never thought to do that to get rid of the charge. Grrr. I hate dealing with the reps on this kinda if crap

Reactions: johnny hotsauce

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Oh crap. Never thought to do that to get rid of the charge. Grrr. I hate dealing with the reps on this kinda if crap

On my 11PM I sim swapped and I did e-sim activation online with my 13 pro, no activation fees. Both were the unlocked versions.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
My understanding looking at the pre-orders Apple indicated the only phones that were locked to a carrier if you bought an AT&T version for some reason. Verizon and T-Mobile are not locked.

I will clarify the above I’m not buying through my carrier. I bought through the Apple card, but just had my Verizon account and phone number linked to the phone.

I saw that stupid $35 activation fee and was like you gotta be kidding me. I personally think this is in agreement. Apple has the carriers allowing them to charge this. Absolutely stupid so if I link my phone in my account I get this charge and maybe if I just bought it for set up later maybe I wouldn’t get this charge?

I sure hope the eSim
activation is easier this year on Verizon than last year

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
My understanding looking at the pre-orders Apple indicated the only phones that were locked to a carrier if you bought an AT&T version for some reason. Verizon and T-Mobile are not locked.

I will clarify the above I’m not buying through my carrier. I bought through the Apple card, but just had my Verizon account and phone number linked to the phone.
to be more specific, the only ones that are locked are the ones that use AT&T financing, not apple financing.

Reactions: nealh

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Same with AT&T. Been happening for years. Just wait until it hits your next bill. Call or chat...get it waived. I always do online chat with AT&T. Every year they have waived it. I'm on AUP. Relax for now. Wait until they bill it.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Every time I activate a new phone Verizon Wireless tries this 💩 and every time I call and they reverse it. I'm a long time customer so that probably helps.

Reactions: Chuckeee

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
US carriers at their best, they’ve been doing this for years, got to tell them to remove the charge.
That’s why I always got unlocked, chose your carrier later phones from Apple and then just put the old SIM card in the new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.