Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Its true. I get it removed every year.
When I buy from Apple with carrier enabled, it never gets removed, no matter what is said to them…maybe buying not enabled and later having ATT switch phones but not even sure then.
When I was going to keep spare and go back and forth, Att said only a call to switch work.

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I despise this bogus charge. It’s not necessary, otherwise they wouldn’t be so accommodating to people who ask for it to be reversed. It always makes think of the old Brian Regan comedy bit on the telephone company switch flipper

Reactions: Chuckeee

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
I contacted the Verizon Customer Rep and was assured that the activation charges would be waived once it was billed.
It is something that I constantly have to do every year.
When calling in or chatting with the customer rep, just be polite, as they aren't the ones making the rules. They will take it off by adding in credits to offset the charge.

While I agree that it is absurd that a telecom as big as Verizon should be nickel-and-diming their customers, I think they get away with it 90% of the time, as customers don't bother checking their bills.
Cell phone bills are often paired with add-ons like phone upgrades, additional lines (Apple Watch), etc., so the activation charge often gets overlooked.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
When I buy from Apple with carrier enabled, it never gets removed, no matter what is said to them…maybe buying not enabled and later having ATT switch phones but not even sure then.
When I was going to keep spare and go back and forth, Att said only a call to switch work.

Went back to last year’s September bill. I don’t make lies and post about them. Been doing this for the last 5 years on AT&T. Been with AT&T for 10 years now.
4b93e92836cb8e1b4993796c01705666.jpg

Reactions: alexcue

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Went back to last year’s September bill. I don’t make lies and post about them. Been doing this for the last 5 years on AT&T. Been with AT&T for 10 years now.
4b93e92836cb8e1b4993796c01705666.jpg
I dont care how long you have been with them, Ive been with them a lot longer....since they were created ...on my 12 PM they would not remove the fee and the phone before that, there was none, so Ive only had 1 but it wasnt removed for me as I stated, even when calling them.
Do you buy it from Apple with carrier enabled? or not enabled then change later?

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I dont care how long you have been with them, Ive been with them a lot longer....since they were created ...on my 12 PM they would not remove the fee and the phone before that, there was none, so Ive only had 1 but it wasnt removed for me as I stated, even when calling them.
Do you buy it from Apple with carrier enabled? or not enabled then change later?
I only get my iPhones thru Apple because I'm on AUP.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
just use a prepaid service and avoid that bs

Wow, I didn't realize how much cheaper the VZW prepaid plans were vs regular, thanks for the tip.

Follow up edit:

Just switched from a postpay to a prepay plan and saved over $30/mo, this will go down further after I convert my wife's plan to this one.

P.S. -

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 8.00.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.