Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbietop

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
Howdy folks!

Apple introduced ForceTouch on the Apple Watch and then later 3D Touch on the iPhone.
So far, there is no inkling that 3D Touch is coming to the iPad.

What does everyone think of 3D Touch?

My use case is very simple: I show it off to people. I never use it. I can't see any preview of messages in Messenger or Messages app. It does not really give me a true shortcut. The amount of time to open the app and navigate to the shortcut is roughly the same time. And since introduced, only a small handful of developers have even embraced it.

Reason I bring this up is that there is a rumor circulating that the LCD iPhone this year will NOT have 3D Touch capability and I do not know if this is a sign Apple is second guessing the technology. That's a pretty big feature to just leave out.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I use it constantly from the home screen, going directly to a specific function in Safari, Mail, iMessage, Phone, Settings and Overcast etc.

And of course to move the cursor when using the keyboard.

I never use it to preview mail etc. In fact, I don’t recall using it in-app at all for anything (aside from keyboard of course).

I really miss it when using an iPad.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I think a lot of people actually use 3D Touch on a regular basis within popular third party and some of the first party apps.

Personally I use them within Instagram, iMessage and Mail app a lot.

Reactions: 44267547

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I use it pretty much all the time without even thinking about it.
It maybe common knowledge to some already but I have just come across something useful while reading this thread using Tapatalk, if you Push & Pop on a post it makes the text bigger and easier to read.
30bbadfb9dcd167a7fd972db145323ad.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I use it every time I use my iPhone for quick short cuts to apps and moving the cursor when typing. Not having it now would be a downgrade.

The rumoured 6.1” iPhone this year supposedly may not have it. That’s s silly move I think as it’s a dealbreaker for those who have owned iPhones since the 6S IMO.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Wouldn't it be great if 3D Touching the WiFi symbol in Control Center took you to Settings/Wi-Fi?
LOL of course it would be and just as cool as 3D Touch cellular, to go to cellular settings or DND for DND settings. It has been a feature I heard many wanted since the 6s released (even with the old control centre). I would expect them to expand 3D which future iOS releases.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
My understanding is there are technical hurdles to bringing to to iPad, it only works on smaller screens.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My understanding is there are technical hurdles to bringing to to iPad, it only works on smaller screens.

The iPad will likely never see 3D Touch. During the iPhone 6s launch Keynote, I believe Cook commented on the difficulty implementing it on the 6s. On a dislay the size of the iPad, it would likely have its technological/physical limitations. The iPhone seems to be the only platform that will support 3D Touch, aside from the Apple Watch having "Force Touch", which is very similar.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The iPad will likely never see 3D Touch. During the iPhone 6s launch Keynote, I believe Cook commented on the difficulty implementing it on the 6s. On a dislay the size of the iPad, it would likely have its technological/physical limitations. The iPhone seems to be the only platform that will support 3D Touch, aside from the Apple Watch having "Force Touch", which is very similar.
Now that you’ve taken this position, it’s almost a sure thing that the next iPad Pro will have 3D Touch.

Reactions: robbietop

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Now that you’ve taken this position, it’s almost a sure thing that the next iPad Pro will have 3D Touch.

I'm all for it. I hope it happens, but I have my doubts. 3D has always been a feature I have utilized since the 6s.

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I hope we get it too. I like it the way it works with the haptic feedback. In fact, I wonder which is harder to apply to the larger screen, 3D Touch or haptic feedback. I kind of suspect that localizing the haptic sensation is harder on a big device.

Reactions: 44267547

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
I use it constantly from the home screen, going directly to a specific function in Safari, Mail, iMessage, Phone, Settings and Overcast etc.

And of course to move the cursor when using the keyboard.

I never use it to preview mail etc. In fact, I don’t recall using it in-app at all for anything (aside from keyboard of course).

I really miss it when using an iPad.

Me also. Pretty much the same. I use it all the time.

robbietop

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
If I remember correctly from the demo, isn't 3D/Force Touch just capacitors right above the Digitizer that detect the curvature of the glass on a micro level to determine pressure?
A larger screen would bend differently than a smaller screen, I would think. Is that the limitation? or is the cost just astronomical to have to add 100x the capacitors for detection?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I use it every day on my phones, watch and MacBook.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If I remember correctly from the demo, isn't 3D/Force Touch just capacitors right above the Digitizer that detect the curvature of the glass on a micro level to determine pressure?
A larger screen would bend differently than a smaller screen, I would think. Is that the limitation? or is the cost just astronomical to have to add 100x the capacitors for detection?

I think it’s both. The bigger screen will not respond to it as expected because moving the screen that precisely becomes difficult as the size grows and also it becomes more expensive to be put into a mass consumer device that people would be willing to pay for.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
The only reason why 3D Touch is not on the iPad is because they simply can’t integrate the Taptic Engine to give a decent feel around the large screen.

Reactions: robbietop

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I hope we get it too. I like it the way it works with the haptic feedback. In fact, I wonder which is harder to apply to the larger screen, 3D Touch or haptic feedback. I kind of suspect that localizing the haptic sensation is harder on a big device.

You don’t really need to localize it. The whole phone, trackpad on MacBook and Magic Trackpad vibrate when you click etc. The bigger problem is you probably need more than one engine which uses space.

Which when thinking about actually would create the sensation of localization if you have one engine per side. So the closest engine to your press would vibrate where as the rest would not.

I’m also thinking that’s one of the reasons why they are making some of the 3D Touch interactions a long press as well. They want to bring those to the iPad but can’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.