Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I use it all the time and would certainly miss it if removed, unless apple institutes the same features into the long press.

I don't have reason to believe that Apple won't include 3D Touch on the 5.8/6.5 OLED models, but as far as the 6.1 LCD that's rumored, that may not have 3D Touch to retain a lower price point.

Reactions: Raist3001

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
I don't have reason to believe that Apple won't include 3D Touch on the 5.8/6.5 OLED models, but as far as the 6.1 LCD that's rumored, that may not have 3D Touch to retain a lower price point.

I can understand trying to keep costs down by removing it from the 6.1 LCD, but I am not convinced yet that this is a sign apple will be abandoning the feature in future iPhones. Especially when we are paying upwards of 1200 for them. On the same note, how much will a customer truly be saving by not having 3D touch? After all, the SE does not have 3D touch.

robbietop

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
My question is why abandon something that has been standard for 3 years for a lower price?
That's silly when they just spent time justifying a $1000 iPhone X!
I think the rumor has more to do with production issues than a price point.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I can understand trying to keep costs down by removing it from the 6.1 LCD, but I am not convinced yet that this is a sign apple will be abandoning the feature in future iPhones. Especially when we are paying upwards of 1200 for them. On the same note, how much will a customer truly be saving by not having 3D touch? After all, the SE does not have 3D touch.

Those of us with iPhone 6S’s and 7’s looking to upgrade this year will be put off by the lack of 3D Touch though. It’s quite a major feature to leave out when we’ve had it for the past 3 years. It’s a pretty foolish move to be honest.

Just include it and add 50 quid to the price I say.

Reactions: Raist3001

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I use it and love it.

But it hasn’t been used to its full potential. Inconsistent. You never know what’s touchable via 3d and what’s not. It’s a guessing game. Heck my dad doesn’t know it exist on his 7 Plus.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I use it and love it.

But it hasn’t been used to its full potential. Inconsistent. You never know what’s touchable via 3d and what’s not. It’s a guessing game. Heck my dad doesn’t know it exist on his 7 Plus.

This is exactly what I keep thinking. Why don’t Apple introduce some sort of visual indication that differentiates the apps that support 3D Touch? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
This is exactly what I keep thinking. Why don’t Apple introduce some sort of visual indication that differentiates the apps that support 3D Touch? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly. It’s like an Easter egg or something.

I know people in my life who have 6s and above, including 2 people with X who don’t know it’s even there.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
I like to see 3D Touch as a third and fourth layer of interaction (in crescent order: tap, long press, 3D Touch lightly, 3D Touch firmly). It creates more interaction possibilities that a simple long press wouldn't be able to do.

However, Apple makes iOS with very few customisation control, leaving us to use 3D Touch almost only the way they want.

There are a lot of ideas out there to make 3D Touch more useful than it is today. For example: allow the user to set 3D Touch to open a link in a new tab in Safari. The "pop" animation of the "peek and pop" feature really looks like it's bringing a new tab above the current one. However, "peek and popping" a link simply opens it in the same tab. The idea of peeking a link (and everything else in other apps) is nice, but the "pop" part should really be customisable. I've even emailed Tim Cook asking for that.

That's just an example. I still use it a lot (specially in first party iOS apps). IMO, Apple shouldn't release any iPhone without 3D Touch anymore.

Reactions: akash.nu

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I like to see 3D Touch as a third and fourth layer of interaction (in crescent order: tap, long press, 3D Touch lightly, 3D Touch firmly). It creates more interaction possibilities that a simple long press wouldn't be able to do.

However, Apple makes iOS with very few customisation control, leaving us to use 3D Touch almost only the way they want.

There are a lot of ideas out there to make 3D Touch more useful than it is today. For example: allow the user to set 3D Touch to open a link in a new tab in Safari. The "pop" animation of the "peek and pop" feature really looks like it's bringing a new tab above the current one. However, "peek and popping" a link simply opens it in the same tab. The idea of peeking a link (and everything else in other apps) is nice, but the "pop" part should really be customisable. I've even emailed Tim Cook asking for that.

That's just an example. I still use it a lot (specially in first party iOS apps). IMO, Apple shouldn't release any iPhone without 3D Touch anymore.

Part of the reason I think 3D Touch doesn't receive the notoriety it deserves in my opinion, is because Apple doesn't emphasize anything about it. Peak and Pop are excellent features when using it for notifications, web pages, emails, etc. to briefly look at the material, but there are those who are confused by 3D Touch and Its core features i. what applications utilize it (Other than stock.)

I think with all the third-party Applications, developers play a large role in helping utilize 3D Touch with expansion, but Apple needs to market it more than what it is now.

I agree that 3D Touch really is an essential feature if one can take the time to learn and appreciate it for what it is.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Exactly. It’s like an Easter egg or something.

I know people in my life who have 6s and above, including 2 people with X who don’t know it’s even there.

I’m not surprised. Sometimes even I forget that I can use 3D Touch in places.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

I don’t think apps on mobile devices are generally that complicated that would need 4 layers of interaction/ navigation system.

But your example of that safari feature will definitely be welcomed by me.

Reactions: 44267547

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I’m not surprised. Sometimes even I forget that I can use 3D Touch in places.

I see it as a "Right click" feature on touch interface.. when you are getting used to it, you kinda know when to try it out, even though its not marked as "YOU CAN 3D TOUCH HERE".
[doublepost=1517485533][/doublepost]
You don’t really need to localize it. The whole phone, trackpad on MacBook and Magic Trackpad vibrate when you click etc. The bigger problem is you probably need more than one engine which uses space.

Which when thinking about actually would create the sensation of localization if you have one engine per side. So the closest engine to your press would vibrate where as the rest would not.

I’m also thinking that’s one of the reasons why they are making some of the 3D Touch interactions a long press as well. They want to bring those to the iPad but can’t.

Indeed. On the X, its less pronounced when you 3d touch on the top of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.