Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
After I bought my new MacBook Air 15 inch I viewed some photos and it looks like my Powershot settings at 4.4MP is fine for this screen size. I like my 32GB memory card and see no reason to buy another one, especially since I won't be able to transfer all my photos to the card. Yes I have backups on my Mac and an external drive, but I like viewing all photos I have ever taken on my camera as well. Powershot is not a professional camera but a hobbyist camera and seems to even take clearer photos than my iPhone 15+ at 24MP!

So my conclusion is that unless I am printing poster size photos, or cropping into photos (which I do not do) 4.4MP is just fine!

OKAY OKAY. Was at the ice castles in Cripple Creek, CO and noticed some grainy photos on my Air so I have upped the res to 10MP.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
After I bought my new MacBook Air 15 inch I viewed some photos and it looks like my Powershot settings at 4.4MP is fine for this screen size. I like my 32GB memory card and see no reason to buy another one, especially since I won't be able to transfer all my photos to the card. Yes I have backups on my Mac and an external drive, but I like viewing all photos I have ever taken on my camera as well. Powershot is not a professional camera but a hobbyist camera and seems to even take clearer photos than my iPhone 15+ at 24MP!

So my conclusion is that unless I am printing poster size photos, or cropping into photos (which I do not do) 4.4MP is just fine!
Good for you!

• Angry
Reactions: jwolf6589

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
4.4mp is roughly double the resolution of an HD image and so yes you can get a nice image in that. The challenge is in the details and the latitude to crop. If you dont need to crop and you only look at the images on a small screen, then go for it. Embrace it, enjoy it.

Personally, I find 18mp to be my threshold where I get enough crop space to make up for my lack of attention to detail when shooting whilst retaining enough resolution for a usable image.

I am curious though how you are not getting better images from your iphone given it is the latest generation. That doesnt sound right at all

Reactions: me55 and OldMacs4Me

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
On my little Oly Waterproof it is the JPEG level that decides which resolution I use. Only at 16MP is the Superfine level of JPEG file available and I can see the detail difference between SF and F at the same resolution. Therefore I stick with 16MP using least amount of compression.

The other tiny sensor camera I have is the Fuji waterproof. With that one image quality and image size are adjusted independently. With that camera I used 8MP images with the best quality JPEG level. There was no discernible loss of detail between going from 12 to 8MP, so I did use the reduced resolution.

With any camera I own, I would be uncomfortable not doing periodic card reformats. Up to you, reformat and you do lose all the images on the card. Don't reformat and lacking a spare, if the card fails you are left without images and a camera. At this point in time cost of cards should not enter into the equation, 32GB and even 64GB cards for that camera are both very affordable. Going without a spare card is like driving without a spare tire, you can do it and it is very rarely you will get burned. Depends on your ability to tolerate risk.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
On my little Oly Waterproof it is the JPEG level that decides which resolution I use. Only at 16MP is the Superfine level of JPEG file available and I can see the detail difference between SF and F at the same resolution. Therefore I stick with 16MP using least amount of compression.

The other tiny sensor camera I have is the Fuji waterproof. With that one image quality and image size are adjusted independently. With that camera I used 8MP images with the best quality JPEG level. There was no discernible loss of detail between going from 12 to 8MP, so I did use the reduced resolution.

With any camera I own, I would be uncomfortable not doing periodic card reformats. Up to you, reformat and you do lose all the images on the card. Don't reformat and lacking a spare, if the card fails you are left without images and a camera. At this point in time cost of cards should not enter into the equation, 32GB and even 64GB cards for that camera are both very affordable. Going without a spare card is like driving without a spare tire, you can do it and it is very rarely you will get burned. Depends on your ability to tolerate risk.
A images are backed up. However if I was on vacation and the card died then oh well. My 64GB card for my camcorder I have had since 2018 and it still is running great.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It's always possible on a high resolution, small sensor camera that the lens isn't up to resolving everything the sensor is capable of capturing.

Still, though, I'd doubt that 4mp of resolution is all the lens is capable of.

If you're viewing at full screen, you won't see any difference. If you start zooming, it will be there-I all but guarantee it. It may not be 20mp but if you really see no difference between 4mp and higher on magnification, it's likely either poor technique or a serious issue with the camera.

And if the answer is that you'll never view at more than full-screen res(say 1920x1200-I know little of the 15" MBA but if it's like the older 15" retina screens the default scaling is even lower at 1440x900) or print larger than 8x10, there's still a big reason to shoot at higher resolution. That reason is cropping. I can't begin to tell you, too, how nice that is to have on high resolution cameras.

BTW, my most used camera these days is my 20mp Nikon D5. I use it in favor of the 45mp D850 because I like its straight out of the camera color rendition and appreciate its high ISO capabilities. I'm satisfied with 20mp. I'm fine even with the 16mp from my D4, which I use as a second camera along side the D5 due to handling similarities and also similar outputs, or the Df, which is the same sensor as the D4 but packaged in a very different(in a way almost special purpose) body. I'd not intentionally handicap myself going down to 4mp, though...

As a few other thoughts-first of all I'm not a fan of throwing away data, and that's what shooting at lower resolution than a camera is capable of is doing. I also am a big advocate of RAW-I use to do RAW+JPEG but now don't even bother with that(I'd rather save the buffer space).

Second, storage is cheap these days. My go-tos are 64gb CF cards in my CF cameras and 128gb CFe cards in my cameras that use those. Cards are not meant for long term storage, and I am always concerned that just leaving a card "parked" in a camera and saving every photo you've ever taken on it is a recipe for disaster. Any "interaction" of a card with another device(even plugging the camera into a computer to download files) introduces another path for data corruption. This can not just impact old files on a card but your ability to access recent ones or even write new ones.

I'm particular about card management-after I pull photos off a card I hold on to it until I copy it onto external storage, and then format it in a camera before cycling into one of my card wallets. Even then, I always format a card when I first put it in a camera.

A few years back, I was at a family even where I'd fallen into being official photographer, as happens to me sometimes. I was using my Nikon D800, or maybe I had my D810 then-I don't know but it was one of those. In any case I am a few minutes in and all of a suddent my camera quits writing to the card. In the immediate I grabbed my backup(I think I had my D600 then) and kept right on, then a few minutes later changed cards in teh D800 and continued on, or maybe just pulled the CF and used only the SD in it. Whatever the case, fortunately the card was recoverable but I didn't trust it after that. Sandisk did replace it under warranty, fortunately, especially as 64gb CF cards never have been cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: _timo_redux_

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It's always possible on a high resolution, small sensor camera that the lens isn't up to resolving everything the sensor is capable of capturing.

Still, though, I'd doubt that 4mp of resolution is all the lens is capable of.

If you're viewing at full screen, you won't see any difference. If you start zooming, it will be there-I all but guarantee it. It may not be 20mp but if you really see no difference between 4mp and higher on magnification, it's likely either poor technique or a serious issue with the camera.

And if the answer is that you'll never view at more than full-screen res(say 1920x1200-I know little of the 15" MBA but if it's like the older 15" retina screens the default scaling is even lower at 1440x900) or print larger than 8x10, there's still a big reason to shoot at higher resolution. That reason is cropping. I can't begin to tell you, too, how nice that is to have on high resolution cameras.

BTW, my most used camera these days is my 20mp Nikon D5. I use it in favor of the 45mp D850 because I like its straight out of the camera color rendition and appreciate its high ISO capabilities. I'm satisfied with 20mp. I'm fine even with the 16mp from my D4, which I use as a second camera along side the D5 due to handling similarities and also similar outputs, or the Df, which is the same sensor as the D4 but packaged in a very different(in a way almost special purpose) body. I'd not intentionally handicap myself going down to 4mp, though...

As a few other thoughts-first of all I'm not a fan of throwing away data, and that's what shooting at lower resolution than a camera is capable of is doing. I also am a big advocate of RAW-I use to do RAW+JPEG but now don't even bother with that(I'd rather save the buffer space).

Second, storage is cheap these days. My go-tos are 64gb CF cards in my CF cameras and 128gb CFe cards in my cameras that use those. Cards are not meant for long term storage, and I am always concerned that just leaving a card "parked" in a camera and saving every photo you've ever taken on it is a recipe for disaster. Any "interaction" of a card with another device(even plugging the camera into a computer to download files) introduces another path for data corruption. This can not just impact old files on a card but your ability to access recent ones or even write new ones.

I'm particular about card management-after I pull photos off a card I hold on to it until I copy it onto external storage, and then format it in a camera before cycling into one of my card wallets. Even then, I always format a card when I first put it in a camera.

A few years back, I was at a family even where I'd fallen into being official photographer, as happens to me sometimes. I was using my Nikon D800, or maybe I had my D810 then-I don't know but it was one of those. In any case I am a few minutes in and all of a suddent my camera quits writing to the card. In the immediate I grabbed my backup(I think I had my D600 then) and kept right on, then a few minutes later changed cards in teh D800 and continued on, or maybe just pulled the CF and used only the SD in it. Whatever the case, fortunately the card was recoverable but I didn't trust it after that. Sandisk did replace it under warranty, fortunately, especially as 64gb CF cards never have been cheap.
20 megapixels. I just zoomed into many photos (even signs) and all looks well @ 4.4MP. However photos taken with my Camcorder @ 2MP I notice don't look so sharp once zoomed in.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The other point is what is your vision like? That will also make the biggest difference to what each of us see.
But if 4 mp is enough for you and your user case then enjoy. Personally I’d not be happy at that. Especially if you need to crop an image.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The other point is what is your vision like? That will also make the biggest difference to what each of us see.
But if 4 mp is enough for you and your user case then enjoy. Personally I’d not be happy at that. Especially if you need to crop an image.
20/24

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I'm loving the 45 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor of my Canon R5, and what that brings to my game.
Glad that "4.4 Megapixels does the job!" for you and your needs, hopefully you don't outgrow that.

When I first got into digital, 1999 via a free 640 x 480 digital camera for signing up with dial up service provider, I also was very happy with that then. Heck, this photo from buying our 2.2 acres of property Purchase day 11/28/00 still bring smiles to me:
kempykendrasaleday.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm loving the 45 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor of my Canon R5, and what that brings to my game.
Glad that "4.4 Megapixels does the job!" for you and your needs, hopefully you don't outgrow that.

When I first got into digital, 1999 via a free 640 x 480 digital camera for signing up with dial up service provider, I also was very happy with that then. Heck, this photo from buying our 2.2 acres of property Purchase day 11/28/00 still bring smiles to me:
View attachment 2327850
lol. That could be anyone in that photo !

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well I hope you and the bears are happy there!

Thx!
Home is where the heart is
This is near where that 2000 picture was taken
bdc523faf6d2683ac7f0cbb4b87decf1.jpg

The only thing with log homes is the every 5-6 years need restaining
I still do it myself . $3k in stain and rental, my free time and labor.
When I retire will budget $10k to cover that.
5457081791a4691540ccf2e986bbb068.jpg

b71fae812e606b8f7c3bd578f1e341e6.jpg

e9a02aefcfe5660c308f10267740f81d.jpg

ba734410bc4f687288b159dea53913eb.jpg

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thx!
Home is where the heart is
This is near where that 2000 picture was taken
bdc523faf6d2683ac7f0cbb4b87decf1.jpg

The only thing with log homes is the every 5-6 years need restaining
I still do it myself . $3k in stain and rental, my free time and labor.
When I retire will budget $10k to cover that.
5457081791a4691540ccf2e986bbb068.jpg

b71fae812e606b8f7c3bd578f1e341e6.jpg

e9a02aefcfe5660c308f10267740f81d.jpg

ba734410bc4f687288b159dea53913eb.jpg
Looks like a beautiful spot. Enjoy.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

View attachment 2327850
Oh I remember 1999-2001 well. Dial up, floppy disks, Palm Pilots, film cameras, tape recorders, and tube based monitors and TV's. 640x480 resolution was adequate in 1999 for the monitors and res of that period but The tech then is a bad joke today.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I was a flip phone + palm pilot person many years, never did crack-berry.
Many of my Palm contacts migrated and still in the notes section of iPhone contacts ..
8b4923d711cef0fcb2bf8e0b0aefa4db.jpg

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
^^^^
Composition, composure, form, layout, exposure, yada yada.
Back to the user for 101 stuff of course.
It’s once you’ve learned that , lived it, gotten C&C from your peers in f2f settings, then sure your qualified for a 2005 digital camera

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I was a flip phone + palm pilot person many years, never did crack-berry.
Many of my Palm contacts migrated and still in the notes section of iPhone contacts ..
8b4923d711cef0fcb2bf8e0b0aefa4db.jpg
Oh I did. The iPhone was a much much improvement. My first BB. No WIFI, and system updates had to be done via cellular and that took ages.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You still kept that bulky monster? Was the memory internal in those days?
My D5(released in 2015) is larger in every dimension and heavier.

The D1 uses a single compact flash card. The D5 was available with dual compact flash although mine uses cf express

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
My D5(released in 2015) is larger in every dimension and heavier.

The D1 uses a single compact flash card. The D5 was available with dual compact flash although mine uses cf express
You must have allot of money. For me $500 is enough for a camera. My iPhone 15 + cost me $500 out of pocket and my MacBook Air 15 cost me almost a thousand out of pocket. No one will give me a credit card at this time so I need to rebuild my credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.