Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Now someone get the Sapphire display parts that are floating around recently and put them together with this for a decent imagination of what will be coming. :cool:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Looks like it's been bent and scratched to high heaven. Probably a reject casing, hence why it wasn't finished (speaker and mic grills, camera)

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
If it's water resistant, will definitely upgrade the 5S. I'm so tired of cases, screen protectors (which the sapphire has very hopefully solved) to protect resale value and make the phone look as it isn't intended. Just go all out on durability.

I just want a phone that's good to go out of the box.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The antenna breaks definitely look better, especially on the black, which looks darker than the slate blue-ish tone used on my iPhone 5. Still wish they would go with the windowed look from that latest mockup, but oh well. Black 4.7" for me. Hope I can get it in 128GB because this needs to last me through the end of 2016—though iCloud Drive might help with that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
so those ugly lines on the back are not placeholders after all...

Was really hoping for that rumour about "seamless integration of glass front with the aluminium back with a curved display" to come true but obviously this is the real deal. Someone snap this back with the numerous front panel leaks and we shall have our iPhone 6 fix for the year I think. I am kind of disappointed with the design, it's so conservative, so reminiscent of the 5S...

What's different about this leak than all the others we've seen? Why don't you wait for the actual phone to be released before you get disappointed.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It's actually in exactly the right spot...just looks funny without the other holes there.

Here's another view of the interior. Compare it to an iPhone 5s and you'll see it's in the same place.

View attachment 480001

Actually I just did a mockup of the back, and assuming the camera would have roughly the same distance from the flash as currently, the camera would definitely be further from the edge.

While it's not impossible that Apple had to compromise because of the internal layout, IMO it's uglier from the outside.

I made a mockup of a camera hole location that would give a more aethetically pleasant result:

flashhole.jpg

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
And yet again, no surprises this year, at least not regarding the exterior look of the phone. I'm not sold on the white bands on the back. They look pretty fugly in the photos. Maybe seeing the phone in person will be different.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Why didn't they fully insert the sim card tray into the case...it looks like it isn't fitting correctly.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Dear Apple: this freaking divider lines are ugly. Have you lost your mind?

How do we know those antenna breaks will be in the final design? This part is pretty beat up with lots of marks which tells me there is nothing final about it.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Actually I just did a mockup of the back, and assuming the camera would have roughly the same distance from the flash as currently, the camera would definitely be further from the edge.

While it's not impossible that Apple had to compromise because of the internal layout, IMO it's uglier from the outside.

I made a mockup of a camera hole location that would give a more aethetically pleasant result:

Hold your iPhone 5/S in landscape and try to make a picture – the more distance between edge and camera, the better. Otherwise, it often occurs that you take a pic with your thumb on the cam.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i wonder if the apple logo gets some kind of function. or if it glows like the macbooks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

Yes, there might be a slight shift because of the new case design. With the camera being one of the thickest components, Apple won't be able to put it right up in the corner where it starts tapering to the rounded edges.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
from this, if those breaks are real and make it from production... looks like i'm going with a black iPhone.

I think I read somewhere that they're actually just guide lines for a piece to be placed there. Possibly glass? I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Not long now! :D

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
If it's water resistant, will definitely upgrade the 5S. I'm so tired of cases, screen protectors (which the sapphire has very hopefully solved) to protect resale value and make the phone look as it isn't intended. Just go all out on durability.

I just want a phone that's good to go out of the box.

I totally agree. After watching the sapphire front panel video considering the possibility of not needing a screen protector...I'm definitely tempted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.