Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yes, there might be a slight shift because of the new case design. With the camera being one of the thickest components, Apple won't be able to put it right up in the corner where it starts tapering to the rounded edges.

That would make sense. Same reason why the MacBook Air has larger bezels than the Pro.

Although when I look at the inside of this shell, there seems to be room for a camera either in the extreme corner or right next to the flash, but not in-between due to a large screw hole.

Given that screw hole, we might have something more like this:
flashhole2.jpg

Edit: Or as illicit2k1 points out, the camera might be centered. Didn't think of that!

Last edited:

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
MacRumors, did you ask your sources about the dimensions? With all the speculation about just how thin the iPhone 6 will be, I find it somewhat strange that the article doesn't mention anything about it.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Milled good.

I was going to mention that!

It is way better milled than anything we have seen. Certainly the previously leaked parts.
I was even going to mention the round protrusions and say this one this looks like it was cast with a light cnc cleanup. Liquidmetal?

illicit2k1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Actually I just did a mockup of the back, and assuming the camera would have roughly the same distance from the flash as currently, the camera would definitely be further from the edge.

While it's not impossible that Apple had to compromise because of the internal layout, IMO it's uglier from the outside.

I made a mockup of a camera hole location that would give a more aethetically pleasant result:

or maybe the camera will be centered? ("flash" left in original spot)

ip6_camera_mockup.jpg

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
While it's not impossible that Apple had to compromise because of the internal layout, IMO it's uglier from the outside.

Moving it further away from the edge might simply be a better location for the lens.

People tend to place their thumb on the bottom edge of the phone near the lens, and I've seen plenty of photos ruined due to even a tiny bit of overhang.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
This. I don't get why they need to be so BIG! It almost looks toyish. Really not liking it. :confused:

I am sure there is a lot of functionality built around them. Certainly not there for looks. Besides the antenna utility of them, they look like they could certainly absorb impact from hitting the ground on end.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Beautifully, Unapologetically White Bands..

Attachments

• 1671131-poster-1280-jony-ive.jpg
    1671131-poster-1280-jony-ive.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 101

nickimsonik

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
Great Design

That design looks really great. The new position of the camera is also good.

I don't like the new screen size. However, it is likely that holding the phone will be more comfortable than 4/4s/5/5s.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
A light up Apple logo for calls and other texts/emails would be great. Or put the camera in the Apple logo on a two-way mirror sapphire glass.

Max_Walker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....

WHO has spotted the similarity between this and the original iPhone ?

Slimmer and more capable but back to metal and with infinitely more power ( I hope).

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
After watching the sapphire front panel video considering the possibility of not needing a screen protector... I'm definitely tempted.

I used a screen protector on my iPhone 4S... it was my first iPhone and I was paranoid. But the screen protector itself got a few scratches on it.

I'm not using a screen protector on my iPhone 5S. I'm 6 months in and the screen is still beautiful and unharmed.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I used a screen protector on my iPhone 4S... it was my first iPhone and I was paranoid. But the screen protector itself got a few scratches on it.

I'm not using a screen protector on my iPhone 5S. I'm 6 months in and the screen is still beautiful and unharmed.

This works great unless you're OCD. As soon as you get one scratch, you're done. Hah.

I might take off my screen protector after year one. I thought scratches would reduce resale value but it didn't seem to matter when I sold my 4.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I wish they would just announce the phones already! I liked it better when there was more of a waiting time between announcement and release as opposed to the current method where they announce and release it a week or two later.

If it's water resistant, will definitely upgrade the 5S. I'm so tired of cases, screen protectors (which the sapphire has very hopefully solved) to protect resale value and make the phone look as it isn't intended. Just go all out on durability.

I just want a phone that's good to go out of the box.

I will always use a case until they can make a phone that won't scratch or break. Screen protectors, I have always felt are a huge waste of money. I haven't used one since my iPhone 3G and have only had one minor scratch on my screen over the roughly 6 years with a 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5.

WHO has spotted the similarity between this and the original iPhone ?

Slimmer and more capable but back to metal and with infinitely more power ( I hope).

Outside of maybe the iPhone 4, I felt the original design of the iPhone was the best.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Most people are going to put a case on it, probably the same leather I put on my 5S. Who cares what the banding looks like?

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Feld & Volk, a Moscow-based company selling modified luxury versions of the iPhone.

I'll make a note of Feld & Volk. Just in case I become an eccentric billionaire.
And then move to Moscow.

... a number of screw holes shown on the part are actually from the manufacturing process and would be removed in later steps of production as the part is cleaned up.

Makes me wonder how much faster the part could be made by injection-molding Liquidmetal instead of machining it from a solid aluminum billet. No, Liquidmetal (especially the platinum alloy) isn't cheap. But it's been used in cell phone enclosures and other consumer goods before (e.g. the Acer Liquid Metal) and it requires much less energy to recycle than aluminum since it doesn't need to be melted to a liquid state. It's amorphous, like glass, so it only needs to be heated until it becomes putty-like. (Liquidmetal becomes malleable at 752F, whereas aluminum melts at 1221F.)

Embedding a logo make of a non-metal material would also give the device another radio-transparent window that could be used to improve reception.

Just like iPad, most likely. I'd like an illuminated Apple logo, but I get the feeling that it would be too showy for Ive's slightly understated design sense. I think it would be cool to see a micro-perfed metal Apple logo light up. Just like the sleep indicator light on older MacBook Pros and the iSight indicator light on the current MacBook Air and Pro lines.

The photo of the rear of the shell also offers a decent view of the antenna breaks, with Feld & Volk noting that they appear to be made of a "non-conductive polymer" to insulate the different antennas from each other.

Still not sure why there are insulators on the back surface but the interior appears to be a single piece of metal. Maybe the insulator material completely covers each end of the iPhone and the antennae are thin sheets of metal laminated over the insulator material. But then how are the BT and Wi-Fi signals transmitted through the metal backshell? There appear to be no openings for glass radio windows.

Photos of an essentially identical rear shell have also been shared with MacRumors by a separate source. The photos show a part in a darker gray than the Feld & Volk part ...

Well that's one way to avoid wear-through of the anodized coating. Color the material itself. No anodizing. But can that be done with an aluminum alloy? Or is it (here's that wishful thinking again) Liquidmetal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.